SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    2024 INDY Car season is underway
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2024 INDY Car season is underway Login/Join 
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
MAJOR storm moving into INDY area today. Wondering if time delay or race to be tomorrow?? Check out Weatherbug for storm tracking.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1432 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Three cautions in the first 32 laps. Six Hondas out of the race already.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5311 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of yellow, but a good race to watch.
Close ending. Not a good day for Honda.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Great race but the NBC/Peacock coverage was awful and had technical issues at the best part of the race.
A great finish.
Felt really bad for o’Ward.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I picked up the race at about lap 60 or so. It was pretty good. O’Ward put up a valiant effort and the last 4 or 5 laps were sone really good racing.

It’s too bad that F1 isn’t as good as indycar

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started watching around lap 130; pretty entertaining finish.

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
About 65 laps in, the local NBC affiliate went to storm coverage and stayed with it until 8PM CST. So we missed it all, the YouTube race recap looks like it was a good one. Heroic drive by Newgarden, maybe salvaging his name and career. Too bad for Pato who has stunk it up this year and needed a good result. What happened to Rossi? The results I saw had him third, later I see Dixon finished third.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Great race but the NBC/Peacock coverage was awful and had technical issues at the best part of the race.
A great finish.
Felt really bad for o’Ward.

Not sure about Peacock, but broadcast NBC had no issues. Just be happy it wasn't on Fox. If you think NBC was abusive with commercials, Fox was 3x worse with no side by side. Even fast forwarding wasn't good enough and I gave up after 67 laps.

quote:
So we missed it all, the YouTube race recap looks like it was a good one. Heroic drive by Newgarden, maybe salvaging his name and career. Too bad for Pato who has stunk it up this year and needed a good result. What happened to Rossi? The results I saw had him third, later I see Dixon finished third.

That sucks. Thankfully, I just had the bad weather warning up all race. I wouldn't say Pato stunk up the race, he just made his move at the wrong time and Newgarden caught up to him and passed him.

Rossi had to fall back because he was the first person that made his last stop and had to save a little bit for the end. Everyone else had 2 or 3 laps more fuel and even switching off with Newgarden for the lead didn't save enough.

This was a bloodbath for Honda. They had 3 motors blown along with Blomqvist being a moron and taking out two other Hondas in Ericsson and Fittipaldi. I really think that Bryan Herta needs to be calling races for Colton. While he's still Top 5 in points, the mistakes he's making when he has the car are just mental. If anything, if he was going to get out of his car, he should have looked over the front wing and steering arms before giving up. At worst, he would have been 1 lap down instead of 17 when the car was refired in the garage.

All in all, it was the best race of the day, but that rain delay put a crimp in my weekend.

Also, as a reminder, the Detroit Grand Prix will be on USA Saturday at Noon ET.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I wouldn't say Pato stunk up the race, he just made his move at the wrong time and Newgarden caught up to him and passed him.

My fault, poorly worded. I meant Pato had pretty much been nowhere all season until the 500. He certainly could have won yesterday, it's suggested his zigzagging to break the draft for Newgarden probably scrubbed just enough speed to give Josef the run he got. Really good race by both.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
I wouldn't say Pato stunk up the race, he just made his move at the wrong time and Newgarden caught up to him and passed him.

My fault, poorly worded. I meant Pato had pretty much been nowhere all season until the 500. He certainly could have won yesterday, it's suggested his zigzagging to break the draft for Newgarden probably scrubbed just enough speed to give Josef the run he got. Really good race by both.

Pato was the winner after Newgarden was disqualified at St. Pete. He's struggled some since then but he's still in the hunt, points wise.

Last year Newgarden won the 500 with the same move that Pato made yesterday, with one exception.
He was more aggressive in has draft breaking attempts.
Before the race this year the officials announced a rule modification that restricted that move, you couldn't go so low, crossing the pit lane line without actually entering the pits.
I was a little surprised Pato didn't go a little higher and sooner to block at the end of the straight.
If he had been able to force him just a bit higher, Newgarden couldn't have gone high without getting so far up the car would loose the front and go into the wall.
Sato lost a few years ago trying that outside move on Franchitti.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Speaking for point, a lot of the guys at the top are probably thankful that the Indy 500 isn't double points.

1) Palou - 152
2) Power - 140
3) Dixon - 127
3) Herta - 127
5) Rosenqvist - 107
6) McLaughlin - 88
6) O'Ward - 88
8) Kirkwood - 86
9) Lundgaard - 84
10) Rossi - 78
17) Newgarden - 61

I know there's still some crybabies out there over the P2P cheating scandal, but the penalties hurt McLaughlin and Newgarden a lot in the points. I think there's a maximum of 52 points for winning a race, pole, and leading the most laps. For Newgarden to catch up, Palou need to DNF twice and Newgarden needs 2 more wins, and with Palou's record those DNFs won't happen.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Herta really shot himself in the foot too.

His spin and brush of the wall ended doing minor damage that could have easily been repaired during the yellow flag pit stop. At worst, he would have been at the back of the pack of the lead lap cars.

Instead, he had to get back in and drive around, many laps down.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Yep. Even after his pit lane penalty, Kyle Larson was able to get his lap back.

The driver I feel the worst for is Santino Ferrucci. He had one of the best cars on the grid, but the team lost the balance in the last two stints. He still got a Top 10, but he was driving way too good for the majority of the race. It looks like the Penske/Foyt technical partnership has been working out for Ferrucci. Team Penske got a 2 year old copy of the Ganassi Indy Playbook from Michael Cannon while Ferrucci has several Top 10 performances this year.

Even Sting Ray Robb was in front for a little bit. The last time I've seen them this good was when Takuma Sato and Tony Kannan were driving for him

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The Detroit race was a train wreck.

The pace car may have actually led the most laps.
This track was the worst.

I guess GM insists on a Detroit race but there must be a better option somewhere.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I guess GM insists on a Detroit race but there must be a better option somewhere.

It's more a Roger Penske thing. He saw what the Long Beach Grand Prix did to Long Beach by bringing more businesses and interest into in the city and wants to do the same thing for Detroit.

And yes, there is a better option somewhere in Brooklyn, MI:

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Yeah, a fustercluck to be sure but I love the pit set up. Eek

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I thought it was rather good race. You could feel the driver tension as they entered turn 1 or 3, cant remember which now, and they were pressing for the passes to get ahead on the narrow track. And then the rain added challenges with the tires. I really cant remember when I last saw the rain tires come out?? Years ago maybe??

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1432 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Roger Penske has deep ties to Detroit and it's suggested he looked at the immense success of Long Beach (IndyCar's second most prestigious race), and hoped a Detroit race could do the same for revitalizing that city. How he missed the fact it's Detroit and not Long Beach escapes me.

Yesterday looked like a decent race was possible but it kept not happening, over and over and over...

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
How he missed the fact it's Detroit and not Long Beach escapes me.

Because everyone has that one project or desire they work on that deep down they know will never succeed but have try anyway. For Roger Penske, it's Detroit.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Some interesting fallout from the Argentina Social Death Threat Squad this week. Canapino is being replaced by Nolan Siegal for Road America.

https://racer.com/2024/06/07/s...hr-for-road-america/

quote:
Siegel to replace Canapino at JHR for Road America
Marshall Pruett June 7, 2024 3:30 PM ET

Nolan Siegel will drive Juncos Hollinger Racing’s No. 78 Chevy in place of Agustin Canapino for this weekend’s IndyCar race at Road America. The one-race change comes in reaction to death threats made by some of Canapino’s fans towards Arrow McLaren’s Theo Pourchaire after Pourchaire hit Canapino’s car during last weekend’s Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix.

Citing a backlash of his own, the JHR team says Canapino “will be taking a leave of absence for this weekend’s Xpel Grand Prix. The growth of online abuse and harassment resulting from the events of this week have led to a very difficult experience for Agustin, the team and the entire IndyCar fan base, and the safety of Agustin and the rest of the competitors has to be considered first and foremost. Abuse, hatred, and harassment in any form is a detriment to this sport, and we must prioritize the mental and physical well-being of both our drivers and our competition.”

Team co-owner Brad Hollinger shared his thoughts on the situation.

“Online abuse is unacceptable, and we need to ensure that our drivers are prepared both mentally and physically when they get in the car,” Hollinger said. “We are saddened by the events that led to this scenario.”

This will mark Siegel’s second appearance in a points-paying IndyCar event after contesting the non-championship race at The Thermal Club and the Long Beach Grand Prix.

Arrow McLaren announced yesterday that it had severed a commercial partnership with Juncos Hollinger in response to the incident.