SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    2024 INDY Car season is underway
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2024 INDY Car season is underway Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Luckily no one hurt in that big one at the end.
I didn’t see any yellow flags or lights on the track or the in car system.

Posts: 9850 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
There was a good 5 seconds before a yellow was thrown, but it wouldn't have saved that gaggle of cars. That pack was already making that turn and chose their lines before impact.

An interesting stat they mentioned on "The Cock" was Colton Herta was the first driver in IndyCar history to do a Max Verstappen to lead every session, qualify pole, and win the race.

Posts: 4457 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Great race and some spectacular crashes that show how well the cars are built to keep drivers safe. Not like the old "open wheel" days of past.

But the greatest part of the race was the gal (an AGT winner I think they said?) who sang the National Anthems. She did a fantastic job, no wild notes, screeching tones, just fantastic. Even my wife who was in the kitchen came out and commented on her great singing. We very rarely get someone who can sing the National Anthem as nice and correct as she did.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1443 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
IndyCar would be a lot better if the cars were as identifiable as they are in F1, if not the drivers, the teams. As it stands now, it's just a mess of colors and even if I have a favorite, it's hard to find him more often than not.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8585 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Part of the ID problem is the changing of sponsors at different races. Even the front teams like Penske and Ganassi have several sponsors on some of their cars.
Also several of the cars have a lot of turnover in the drivers and their own sponsors.
F1 has a much more stable look for the teams and only 20 full time cars so it's a lot easier there.

Posts: 9850 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Yep. That's going to be impossible in American Motor Sports. About the best we'd get is team colors on the top of the aeroscreen along with the driver's name written on it. It's similar to what NASCAR does on the windscreen of each car except the other half is what league you're driving in (Cup/Xfinity/Trucks/etc.).

Posts: 4457 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Yep. That's going to be impossible in American Motor Sports. About the best we'd get is team colors on the top of the aeroscreen along with the driver's name written on it. It's similar to what NASCAR does on the windscreen of each car except the other half is what league you're driving in (Cup/Xfinity/Trucks/etc.).

But in Toronto, ANDRETTI was on Herta's windscreen and NOT Herta. Maybe just another of the egotistical elements of that family..

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1443 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I suppose I started watching CART in the late 80's/early 90's, Ganassi in red, Players baby blue, I'd have to refresh my memory with the others. So much easier to track.

I understand the multiple sponsors now, Penske is just a mess trying to keep track of ie, but CART was so much more accessible and, as a result appealing. Of course that may been CART's best product, they outdrew NASCAR until the suicidal split.

Posts: 8585 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
But in Toronto, ANDRETTI was on Herta's windscreen and NOT Herta. Maybe just another of the egotistical elements of that family..

It's up to the teams to decide what they want to put on there. I do think Arrow McLaren does the best job of keeping different sponsors happy while having a similar paint scheme.

posted Hide Post
Andretti is also trying to market themselves as a viable F1 organization. So having their brand on camera on a winning car certainly doesn't hurt in reminding F1 that they do have a good operation if given the opportunity.

I only watched the YT highlights of the Toronto qualifying and race. I know many street circuits are rather dicey and sketchy affairs at best, but this race venue seemed rather ghetto, particularly in how some of the tire barriers were positioned and arranged. Indycar needs to find proper race tracks to race on and rid themselves of street venues like this.

-MG

Posts: 2241 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Won't happen as street circuits attract some of the largest crowds of the year and Toronto has been on the schedule since 1986. It's not going anywhere.

Although Detroit needs to be at Belle Isle or Michigan International and nowhere else.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Drive-by post this am, gotta go.

Very entertaining race at Gateway with many, many fingers being pointed and lots of fall out boiling.

And earlier, gutted for Malukas, developing.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
And earlier, gutted for Malukas, developing.

Yes, if there's one guy that has a right to complain, it as him.
Temporary ride, outperforming almost everyone around him, competitive, made no mistakes and to add insult to injury Will Power comes by later with an attitude.
Then the officials didn't even give it a second look.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I gather sanctions may be coming at Portland. Power and Malukas were on track for a one-two and Will threw it away.

There's also chatter that Malukas may be in line for a Penske ride in a year or two. Maybe one reason he held his tongue about Power post-race. I can imagine Penske would love an American driver so I hope the chatter is right.

I'll let the closing restart go in case others have yet to watch.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Power has re-viewed the Malukas incident and sees that he came down on David. Will called him and apologized for his race/post-race actions. Malukas says all is good now. Still, WP may find some sort of sanctions awaiting.

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to Milwaukee Mile or maybe not. After 2-3 laps you cant tell who's in what place due to overtaking and pit stop cycles!

NRA Life Member

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
For as much as people have complained this year about Penske rigging the field, it looks like Palou is going to make it 3 out of 4 for the championship. While it's true he's never won an oval, he always seems to be somewhere in the Top 5 instead of the bottom.

It's also a shame that Ferrucci couldn't keep pace with the leaders at Portland, but it's still another Top 10 finish for a team that has languished in the back. He's also 10th in the points and hope he keeps the #14 for next year.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Another great race buried on "The Cock" tonight. Doubleheader at the Milwaukee Mile. Race 1 was fantastic and Will Power keeps the title fight alive at least until tomorrow. I'm also happy to see the Short Oval kit isn't the garbage I feared after the Iowa debacle.

There were a lot of great stories and finishes tonight.

Race 2 is tomorrow on USA at 2:30 ET.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That was a much better race than the last one at that track several years ago.
Interesting how Pato made a big gain in the undercut in the first stop and then the overcut on the second.
The chips fell in just the right way for him today.
One more tomorrow.
Grosjean continues to impress in a negative sort of way. Daly had an amazing run at the start and drove a great race. If he could do that more consistently he’d live up to the hype but his results just don’t come often enough.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Peacock Mad Mad