SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    2024 INDY Car season is underway
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2024 INDY Car season is underway Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Very spicy rain effected qualifying at Road America. We have one new polesitter and one heavy crash.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much of Newgardens car is re-usable? Spare parts, etc., rebuildable? or total waste?

At Long Beach I would always see fans walking home with parts from crashed cars.

Thanks for sharing.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1432 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It was a 95G impact. The tub was totaled and it took all three Penske teams to rebuild a spare chassis so Newgarden could run on Sunday.

Speaking of which, it was a great race.

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That was a big hit.
TV usually doesn’t give you the real feeling and sounds but this time it did.
Surprised he wasn’t more shook up than that.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
We have incredibly big news. IndyCar and FOX have reached an agreement and while I was concerned, I have to say this is an incredibly good deal. The full details are below, but every race will be on real/broadcast FOX while all the practice and qualifying will be on either FS1 or FS2. The other plus side is the schedule for 2025 is also up.

https://www.indycar.com/news/2...13-fox-2025schedules

quote:
INDYCAR, FOX Sports Announce Historic Media Rights Deal
By INDYCAR | Published: Jun 13, 2024

FOX Sports
All 2025 NTT INDYCAR SERIES Races To Air on FOX

Agreement Includes Extensive, Multiplatform Coverage of Indy 500 across FOX Sports Family of Networks

INDYCAR and FOX Sports announced June 13 the new exclusive home of the NTT INDYCAR SERIES and the iconic Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge beginning in 2025. The new media rights deal provides a massive and unprecedented increase in exposure for North America’s premier open-wheel racing series, with every 2025 race airing on FOX and available on the FOX Sports app. FOX Deportes will carry exclusive Spanish-language television coverage, with a schedule to be announced at a later date.

FOX will also provide coverage of Indy 500 qualifications on both Saturday and Sunday, bringing the total number of broadcast network windows to 19, a record for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES. INDYCAR will become the only premier motorsport in the United States with exclusive major broadcast network coverage for all its races.

“This represents unrivaled exposure and provides an unparalleled growth opportunity for the most competitive and entertaining motorsport on the planet,” INDYCAR CEO Mark Miles said. “FOX Sports is a fully committed partner, ready to bring engaging and technically innovative coverage to millions of fans across the country while also promoting INDYCAR thoroughly across all its platforms.”

“Adding the iconic Indianapolis 500 and delivering the entire NTT INDYCAR SERIES to the FOX Sports roster fits perfectly within our model of teaming with sports’ largest events and best-in-class brands,” FOX Sports CEO and Executive Producer Eric Shanks said. “We’re honored to be the new broadcast home to ‘The Greatest Spectacle in Racing,’ an incredibly special event to everyone at FOX Sports.”

The 2025 NTT INDYCAR SERIES season kicks off with the Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg on Sunday, March 2 and concludes with the Big Machine Music City Grand Prix on Sunday, Aug. 31. The 109th Running of the Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge takes place on Sunday, May 25. The full schedule for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES was released today and can be viewed here.

Indianapolis 500 Race Day coverage will be extensive for fans across the country, with a five-hour window on FOX set aside for “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.” The Indy 500 is annually the world’s largest single-day spectator sporting event, attracting a crowd of more than 300,000 people to the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The immersive collaboration will see all practice and qualifying sessions for the NTT INDYCAR SERIES telecast on cable on FS1 and FS2. The majority of INDY NXT by Firestone races will also air on FS1, with FS2 providing supplemental coverage of additional races.

This news comes on the heels of continued growth and momentum for INDYCAR, which has seen rising attendance across its schedule, significant growth in commercial partnerships and record metrics across its digital platforms.

Additional announcements, including on-air talent, will be announced at a later date.

2025 INDYCAR Schedule

(All races are points-paying events; all event weekends include NTT INDYCAR SERIES and INDY NXT by Firestone races unless otherwise noted.)

Date

Track

Network

Sunday, March 2

Streets of St. Petersburg

FOX

Sunday, March 23

The Thermal Club*

FOX

Sunday, April 13

Streets of Long Beach*

FOX

Sunday, May 4

Barber Motorsports Park

FOX

Saturday, May 10

Indianapolis Motor Speedway Road Course^

FOX

Sunday, May 25

109th Indianapolis 500 presented by Gainbridge*

FOX

Sunday, June 1

Streets of Detroit

FOX

Sunday, June 15

World Wide Technology Raceway

FOX

Sunday, June 22

Road America

FOX

Sunday, July 6

Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course

FOX

Saturday, July 12

Iowa Speedway Race 1

FOX

Sunday, July 13

Iowa Speedway Race 2*

FOX

Sunday, July 20

Streets of Toronto*

FOX

Sunday, July 27

WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca+

FOX

Sunday, Aug. 10

Portland International Raceway

FOX

Sunday, Aug. 24

Milwaukee Mile

FOX

Sunday, Aug. 31

Nashville Superspeedway

FOX

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That's a step in the right direction.
I wonder if that changes the broadcast crew too, in other words, are they paid by the network or Indycar.
After watching the subscription F-1 broadcasts the last few years it's made it clear there are much better options out there.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
^^^^
This should be great for IndyCar. No more Peacock at the least. The announce team is still pending, a really big deal IMO.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The announce team is still pending, a really big deal IMO.

Yes. Most of the time I can't stand listening to the overwrought, melodramatic and simpleton NBC crew, even when it's truncated in YT condensed form. If I never hear 'big wiggle' ever again, it'll still be too soon.

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Leigh Diffey is an NBC employee, so he's likely staying at NBC. The big rumors vary between "the talent search starts now" and possibly moving Adam Alexander from NASCAR Xfinity that Fox is losing next year to IndyCar. He's also one of the old Speed Channel guys that covered a little bit of everything.

There's also mention of a Bob Varsha sighting at Barber on the Racer comments. I'd love to see him back calling anything and is a proven winner.

Color commentary is wide open, and if F1TV doesn't poach James Hinchcliff, I'd like to see him still in the booth. He was great at commentary back when he was a Toyota Atlantics driver doing Champ Car commentary with Jeremy Shaw on Eurovision.

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
posted Hide Post
Please please please get rid of Townsend Bell. This switch may be a good thing.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1432 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Varsha would be great and he makes everyone with him better IMO. That said, I know he had some health issues a while back so the sighting at Barber may be a good sign.

Posts: 8522 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
More drama at Arrow McLaren...

https://racer.com/2024/06/18/s...n-in-multiyear-deal/

quote:
Siegel replaces Pourchaire at Arrow McLaren in multiyear deal
Marshall Pruett | June 18, 2024 3:00 PM ET

Nolan Siegel is getting the opportunity of his young lifetime with Arrow McLaren.

The 19-year-old from California, who is stepping into the No. 6 Chevy and just won the LMP2 class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, has been signed to a multi-year deal. The development with Siegel in the No. 6 also closes one of the high-profile openings on the grid.

The surprising opportunity comes at the expense of Theo Pourchaire, and after Siegel and the HMD Motorsports Indy NXT team came to terms on ending their season and Siegel’s shot at winning the NXT title, in favor of joining Pato O’Ward and fellow Californian Alexander Rossi starting this weekend at their home race at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca.

Siegel was scheduled to make one more appearance for Dale Coyne Racing — at Toronto — after driving DCR’s No. 51 Honda at The Thermal Club, Long Beach, and while attempting to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 – but he will pilot the No. 6 Chevy for all 10 remaining races and stay in the car in 2025 and beyond.

“Stability and sustained growth are key to our long-term game plan here, and this is a significant step in that mission,” said team principal Gavin Ward.

“First, I want to thank Theo for his time filling in on the No. 6 car with us in recent weeks. We’ve been working through musical chairs all season, and ultimately, making this change to Nolan now that he’s available gives us the chance to build a foundation for the future. He is a young, talented driver with an immense amount of experience at this stage of his career and we’re excited to continue on the upward journey together.”

Driving for the United Autosports World Endurance Championship team co-owned by McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown and Richard Dean last weekend on his Le Mans debut in LMP2, Siegel not only won the class, but also made a huge impression on Dean.

Renowned for his ability to identify up-and-coming drivers, Dean found a young Lando Norris who was competing in the Ginetta Junior Championship and introduced him to Brown, who took him to Formula 1 with McLaren. After having Siegel in his prototype all last week in France, Siegel received Dean’s full endorsement as a prodigious talent for Brown to seriously consider in IndyCar.

Under the original plan devised for Siegel in 2024, he would vie for the NXT title while participating in four IndyCar races, which would preserve his Rookie of the Year contender status in 2025. But the recent contretemps at Juncos Hollinger Racing with Agustin Canapino and Siegel’s impromptu substitution for the Argentinian at Road America set a new plan in motion.

Talks between the Siegel family and JHR to stay in the No. 78 Chevy ended when the team opted to continue with Canapino, and with post-Road America outreaches made to other teams to search for a race seat, a pre-existing discussion with Arrow McLaren — one where Siegel was being considered along with other drivers for a race seat in 2025 — was resumed and accelerated to the point of signing of a contract to take over the No. 6 car with immediate effect.

“I’m looking forward to jumping right in with the Arrow McLaren team this week and confirming my place in the NTT IndyCar Series in papaya moving forward,” Siegel said. “This is an unexpected jump, but I’m thrilled to be in this position after a rewarding run in the Indy NXT by Firestone series with HMD Motorsports. I am looking forward to this new journey and learning alongside the entire team starting this weekend in my home state.”

https://racer.com/2024/06/18/p...-arrow-mclaren-exit/

quote:
Pourchaire hoping to stay in IndyCar after shock Arrow McLaren exit
Marshall Pruett | June 18, 2024 3:10 PM ET

Arrow McLaren’s season of turmoil and changes with its No. 6 entry continues and potentially ends this weekend as promising Frenchman Theo Pourchaire, the reigning Formula 2 champion who impressed the team in his handful of starts, has been replaced in favor of Nolan Siegel.

The late decision came as a shock to the 20-year-old, whose post to X on Monday of, “Man I can’t believe I’m gonna race on the legendary Laguna Seca this weekend. Can’t wait to be there for the Grand Prix of Monterey” was liked more than 2100 times before he was informed that the team has changed its mind on having him complete the rest of the season in the No. 6 car in order to launch a new multiyear arrangement with Siegel.

Despite missing out on two points-paying races at St. Petersburg and the Indianapolis 500, Pourchaire — a rookie with no experience at any of the tracks, or with the Dallara DW12 IndyCar — has risen to 21st in the championship, just 25 points behind 18th-place Linus Lundqvist from Chip Ganassi Racing, who leads the Rookie of the Year standings.

For Pourchaire, who cleared his calendar to make himself available to Arrow McLaren for the rest of the season, the loss of an IndyCar seat comes with no immediate answers on how or when he’ll continue in the series, but his output to date has not gone unnoticed.

As the news of the change made the rounds Tuesday morning, three prominent teams sought and received Pourchaire’s contact information to discuss future opportunities. Although Pourchaire declined to comment on the matter when reached by RACER, he did confirm his interest in staying in IndyCar and racing for a new team.

The rumor mill has this down to a money play from Nolan Siegal's Silicon Valley money with Arrow possibly leaving McLaren. Malukas also had money with him that originally got him the Dale Coyne Seat and McLaren interest.

Hopefully Theo Pourchaire gets paid out the rest of his contract because I'd be pissed if I cleared my schedule and got the shaft.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
So who all got screwed over by NBC throwing this race on CNBC at the last moment? Anyway, it was good one.

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
posted Hide Post
No s**t! finally found it on Peacock lap 53. Shame as Laguna is a nice track. Maybe this will be resolved with FOX taking over. NBC is more interested in the Olympics right now.

NRA Life Member

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Yep. No regrets going to Fox after this shit show.

We've also gotten some recent Hybrid Information from IndyCar and Honda:

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
At least one McLaren didn't choke today:

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least one McLaren didn't choke today:

Good to see them finally close the deal.
They've been fast at a number of races but couldn't seem to be there at the end for various reasons.
Also nice to see a race that wasn't determined by the fuel strategy or the pit stop lottery, just speed, like it should be.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Two thousandths wins the pole, a few hundredths separate the two after 80 laps, IndyCar!

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I don't watch every race, but many.
This weekend was the first I saw the stoopid green charging and red discharging indicator flashing all over the leaderboard. WTH is idea behind that? I guess it's a way to focus on the hybrid tech, but sweetbabyjesus it's distracting and annoying! Do we really gain anything from the ever-present state of hybrid use?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
In 2 months, it'll go away. While I like seeing when a driver is using charge, I don't need to see when they're recharging under braking.