SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Pure sex right there.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

A long wait from Kelby?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Wow, that's pretty!

Pinned recoil lug? Looks to be a joint on the front of that action..

Yes. Pinned lug and rail.

Yeah I like the looks of the melonite. Will either moly resin the barrel flat black or Cerakote graphite black. Either should match pretty good. I think it'll look good in the carbon fiber gap camo stock.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Beautiful!

A long wait from Kelby?

In stock at OTM tactical with no wait. Got it in two days. I had a few questions about the trigger hanger, ejector design, and firing pin size. I emailed Ian Kelbly and he got right back to me with answers.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Beautiful!

A long wait from Kelby?

In stock at OTM tactical with no wait. Got it in two days. I had a few questions about the trigger hanger, ejector design, and firing pin size. I emailed Ian Kelbly and he got right back to me with answers.

It is a real win win when it comes to these custom actions. I really like some of the features here. After buying a Stiller that came with a 20 MOA rail, I inquired about getting a 30 MOA rail. They responded with, send me your mailing address. There really is a wonderful experience once you leave the factory actions.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice jelrod1.

Insight on the trigger hanger? Can it move forward/back?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Very nice jelrod1.

Insight on the trigger hanger? Can it move forward/back?

It is not slotted but looks like it could be. Kelblys sells different size hangers if wanted or needed also. The standard hanger puts the fall beyond .240" The Manners mini chassis will most likely need some clearance milled for the hanger. They originally told me it would drop in but after talking with Tom I'll probably send it to them to be sure. They want to know as much as I do.

After playing with this ejector I'm liking it more and more. There is no spring to put tension on the case when chambered. The extractor holds the case as the bolt comes back and the stop activates the ejector and throws the case out. Pull back easy and the case comes out next to you. Pull back hard and throws it across the room. No chambered tension and no dinged necks should be a plus.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
That's pretty damned cool. Is the Atlas action aluminum like the panda?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
No the Atlas line is stainless. I am however rethinking my original thought of a Bat for a Dasher benchrest rig and seriously considering a dual port Panda.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Took third place today in the regular 420 yard shoot. 3.577". Cost $10, got back $30. I'm happy. 1st and 2nd were the same guy, one with a 6 dasher, one with a 6.5x47. Both his groups were in the low 2s.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Took third place today in the regular 420 yard shoot. 3.577". Cost $10, got back $30. I'm happy. 1st and 2nd were the same guy, one with a 6 dasher, one with a 6.5x47. Both his groups were in the low 2s.

A bit nippley up there today, no?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
quote:

A bit nippley up there today, no?

Oh good lord, was it ever. Windy, too. I was outside as long as it took me to unroll my shooting mat, find my target, and send 6 rounds (one sighter at a common target, 5 on my target for score).

I shit you not, by the time I got back inside, I seriously was concerned my fingers were frostbitten. Bitter cold. Not much fun, to be honest, but finally finishing in the money for the first time ever made it worth it.

Also, I was the only guy to hit the bullseye (3") with my cold bore sighter, so I got a free beer out of that. Good times.

posted Hide Post
quote:

What? Only three shooters Big Grin

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

What? Only three shooters Big Grin

Oh, if only it was the first time I'd heard that.. Wink

There were 15 shooters. Admittedly, most of the best guys didn't show up. I think there was an event or something, because those guys are pretty religious about these shoots, and it was all the top guys (except the one that got 1st & 2nd) that didn't show.

The Constable
posted Hide Post
I went to an unofficial, FUN shoot on Saturday at the range in Townsend MT. They do a Long range plate shoot each month, free to non members.

Steel from 200-1K yds. Benches available or shoot off your belly. Next shoot is March 14th.

My data from last Feb/March was pretty valid, nearly the same temps, etc. So I shot pretty well. Nice to start the year off on a high note.

The Club up in Great Falls is hoping to complete the 1K range this Spring/Summer. Target area all done, the issue is the gumbo mud plagued road and shooting area. We need about 250 yds of gravel. Then we can hold some F-Class as well as paper shoots.

I envy you guys in the higher population areas and the available shoots. Very little available here without a long drive. Despite having all the open property one could want.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spent the day at the Colorado Rilfe Club with a couple friends. Beautiful day, full sun, low 60's, wind 5-12 mph. Have 250rds on my new 6x47 barrel, it's shooting great. We first shot on the sihouette range, confirmed our zero's at 100yds, chrono'd, shot at steel out to 550yds then moved over to the F-Class range. Set up a 12" diamond steel plate at 1050yds to confirm our dope. The flag at the shooting position showed the wind from 11:00, flag at 1000yds wind from 9:00, mirage moving L-R, slowing down/speeding up/stopping..... fun stuff! First shot, hit! Lucky wind call! Shooting on the F-Class range sure gives me great respect for the scores I see posted in national F-Class matches. One of these times we'll shoot at F-Class targets, keep score....

View down range.

Buddies recently chambered 6x47. Defiance/Bartlein. He's shooting his Stiller/Rock Creek also chambered in 6x47.

posted Hide Post
Spent yesterday at the family ranch, starting with the "work" part before dragging out the .308 for play time. I couldn't have bought a decent bughole group at 100 yards with an Amex Black card while testing some new ammo. Then I realized my bipod legs had settled into the wet ground (snow was melting fast) and the rifle was so low that I wasn't getting consistent eye to scope position. Doh! So much for the Mensa people sending me an invite.

The wind wasn't fun mid-day -- 5-15 mph, 7-10 o'clock, changing rapidly in both speed and direction. So I wandered the prairie, lased current and potential future shooting positions to the various target locations, sunk a T-post for a new target location, and made notes on moving from one shooting position to the next to better train for steel matches. I found a great location for the wood barricade I made this winter -- prone doesn't work is this spot due to the rolling terrain. Decided to use two wood telephone/power lines as improvised shooting positions, using a paracord sling for support. Found another location that will work great as a kneeling position with a hog saddle on tripod or with shooting sticks.

And maybe, just maybe, found a prone position that might get me a 790-800 yard target. It will be nip and tuck, and will require some weed whacking to keep grasses mowed down forward of the shooting position. I didn't set up my longest range steel plate yesterday, so I'm still uncertain if I will be able to see it from prone. This is not a distance I want to shoot from a standing position.

Posts: 7999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Well Im sitting up here in Upper MI looking at a thermometer that says 10F and some nice blowing snow and 15kt winds. Last night that same thermometer said -32F. Eek

I always pick the best weeks to have time off...

Did chrony some pistol ammo today off the deck so it wasnt a total loss.

Have my rifle, my Berger loads to test, and my 175SMK/Varget to do same. Sure would be nice. Here until Monday.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
You should come down south tomorrow. I'm hosting a winter shoot for some buddies at my 600 yard club. Supposed to be 25. We'll have a wind shelter and a charcoal grill going, and there will be cans and full autos present... Email me if you want directions. Shoot starts at 11.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I was able to slip off after work this morning and practice some positional shooting and compare drops to my cards again. Wasn't the most pleasant day weather wise being in the 20's and snowing when I got there. Couldn't drive to the targets so had to carry them out and set up. Put up at 475, 566, 775, and 1000. DA hovered around -1000 the whole time. Winds weren't too bad at 5-10 and were predictable. Did well with the prone shots. Was hit and miss shooting slung. Used stools, benches, and my pack to shoot some improvised positions and did ok with it but could be better.