SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Saw this pic posted on another forum. Interesting...... Need to get my grubbies on a few of these to try.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Saw this pic posted on another forum. Interesting...... Need to get my grubbies on a few of these to try.

Made for the 6.5 Grendel?

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Used stools....to shoot some improvised positions..

I hope you mean the chair-type stools and not another kind. Wink

Very manly conditions for shooting. Well done. I shot at -1000 DA once before -- in south Texas in December when a cold front came in from the gulf. Boolits fly better in hot summer air in Colorado.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Used stools....to shoot some improvised positions..

I hope you mean the chair-type stools and not another kind. Wink

Very manly conditions for shooting. Well done. I shot at -1000 DA once before -- in south Texas in December when a cold front came in from the gulf. Boolits fly better in hot summer air in Colorado.

There are enough dried cow Pattie stools up there too.

Were the donkeys pissing on the target again jelrod?

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Donkeys didn't cause any problems today. Roads into the place were a challenge though.

fritz, could have used either type stool today but chose the sitting kind. Most times in the fall and winter DA is in the 1500-3000 neighborhood there. The DA based cards I made up worked well today though and were right on.

Ordered and got another of these targets in this week. They come in 10" and 8" and are from 1/2" AR500. I purchased the 8 most recently but another 10 came in it's place. Easy setup but not fun to carry far.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Da here today was -1820. It was cold. Shot 600 yards with the bolt gun. Also took the DMR ar, and noticed the magnification ring on my Viper pst had no effect on the magnification.

Time to call vortex.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine the number the other night when it was -32F.

How'd ya do? ...besides the scope issue...

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Great. Shot a belt-fed something or another chambered in AK food, and an m16 and an ar18 auto. And a 50bmg.

So many NFA toys in one location you'd think it was an nfatalk shoot instead of an arfcom shoot. Lol

Oh yeah, and blew up a cz Scorpion. Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Sucks to hear about the scope. Ill keep an eye on this thread to see how Vortex does. Reportedly they have great CS.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for more info on this 6.5 bullets above.. . Are they for Grendel?

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Not sure on the bullets guys. 130 hybrids have been talked about for a while. Interesting it seems to have evolved from the hybrid target line to the tactical line. I would think it could work ok in Grendel but have no idea if they are marketing them towards it or Creedmoor or 260. Googling around shows people saying they are available right now only through Berger. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get a few to try in 6.5x47.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure on the bullets guys. 130 hybrids have been talked about for a while. Interesting it seems to have evolved from the hybrid target line to the tactical line. I would think it could work ok in Grendel but have no idea if they are marketing them towards it or Creedmoor or 260. Googling around shows people saying they are available right now only through Berger. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get a few to try in 6.5x47.

Add 100 or 200 for me, and I'll get you some $$

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:

Add 100 or 200 for me, and I'll get you some $$

Got some coming to try. I'll get with you when they come in.

Talking with Berger they are not marketing towards anything specifically. True BC numbers are still being determined by Litz but there is a G7 on the box of .289. That really doesn't get me excited too much because it's so close to the VLD's. What I'm hoping for is that it shoots just as good as the 130 vld but has the dimensional consistency of their 105 hybrids. Will post up a full comparison after load workup.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Got the below info from Applied Ballistics on the 130 hybrid from their testing. Puts the G7 at .290. The better consistency is most appealing to me but a little better BC won't hurt either if they'll shoot good. I may try pointing some too when testing.

"These are the averages from 3000 to 1500 FPS. The BC is higher by .008 on the Average G7 BC, and the Variation individually decreased by .003 in the G7 BC, both numbers favoring the 130 AR Hybrid over the 130 VLD in .264."

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Figured I'd throw it in here.. . I'm hosting a sigforum shoot Saturday, may 2nd at the 600 yard club I belong to. All are welcome. There's a thread in here with a link to the thread in the regional shoots subforum. I'd post a link right here, but I'm currently having a disagreement with the clipboard on my phone...

Jlemmy has said he is coming, and 280 is looking into flights and scheduling. It'd be great to get a bunch more of you fancy rifle shooter guys out there, too.

The range is a sanctioned nra high-power range, and they host an f class match once a year - that means we have target pits, so we could have some type of competition if we wanted, complete with target pullers!

posted Hide Post
Spent all day Tuesday at my favorite range with a fellow steel match shooter practicing up for a upcoming PRS match. We shoot together quite a bit, it's good to shoot with someone as driven as I am, we push each other. Shot 100rds of 6BR, 60rds 6.5x47 and 100rds of pistol. Didn't shoot my 6x47 match rifle, save that barrel for matches. Did lots of positional shooting off of our make-shift barricades, kneeling/standing... adding pistol to the mix. Timed ourselves several times seeing how fast we can get off a shot, start standing mag or a round in hand, plop down prone, 8" plate at 580yds. I was able to crack 7 seconds, about as fast I can get of a quality shot/hit. Also did the same drill weakside, not quite as fast. Lot of fun timing ourselves, that balance between time and calmly/quickly getting into position and getting off a quality shot.

I've shot my 6BR several times out to 600yds, first time shooting it at 1018yds. I'm blown away by the accuracy of that little case. There's definetly something magical about it, see why there so many records set with it. 12" wide plate at 1018, almost boring shooting at it with the 6BR. I don't think I've hit that plate so many times in row as I had with the 6BR. I've posted this before. You guys thinking about re-barreling your R700 and you mainly punch paper, consider a 6BR. It's not sexy, tacti-cool.... damn sure is accurate. Easiest caliber I've tuned. 29.5/H4895/105 Hybrids/2870. Plan on shooting the 6BR at the next Raton steel match. No doubt I'll get some "what are you shooting?" Should be fun!

My buddy and I had a great day practicing, feeling good about our positional shooting/feeling good enough about our pistol shooting. As we were packing up we both got an e-mail stating the match we were going to shoot, Woody's in NC, was cancelled due to the 10 day out weather forecast. This really chaps are asses. We practice/shoot matches in crappy weather all the time. Bunch of pussies. jelrod1 was going to shoot the match as well, we were going to be squadded together, bummed I'm not going to meet and shoot with you!

Silly accurate 6BR. Single shot Bighorn/28" Bartlein Heavy Palma

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jelrod1, could post up a picture with a 130 Hybrid next to a 6.5x47 case where it hits the lands.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:

This really chaps are asses.

Chaps mine too. Our "8 inches of snow" left us with perfectly good drivable roads today, and everything around us closed and in a "State of Emergency", as I sit here at work pissed off still that they cancelled.

Once the 130 hybrids make it here I'll post a picture of the dummy round and a bullet beside it.

Nice shooting with the 6BR. Great looking range.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Hey offgrid, how's the repeater Dasher project coming along?

Also, have you or anybody you know around you shot the 103 Vapor Trails (used to be Spencer) in BR or Dasher? I've seen those little SOB's do some crazy stuff at 1000. Spanked my 6.5x47 hind end.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey offgrid, how's the repeater Dasher project coming along?

Also, have you or anybody you know around you shot the 103 Vapor Trails (used to be Spencer) in BR or Dasher? I've seen those little SOB's do some crazy stuff at 1000. Spanked my 6.5x47 hind end.

There's a local guy with a 6 Dasher, a 6BR, and a 6.5x47. He regularly gets spanked by a guy with a 6.5x47 and a 6BRX.

The best his Dasher has done is second place, even losing to his own 6.5x47 on occasion. LOL