SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not a problem. I was just quizzical, so thanks for clearing that up for me.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spent the day yesterday shooting with two good friends. Got the load figured out on my recently chambered 6x47/Bighorn/Bartlein 24" medium palma. 35.5/Varget/CCI400/105 Hybrids/3040. This is the 4th 6x47 I've had chambered, this barrel is shooting just as well as the others. Like everything about the 6x47, easy to tune, great brass.....

Shot this last week at 100yds. Off to a good start!

Shot this yesterday, 5 shots at 550yds 10-15 mph cross wind, about 1 1/4 of vertical. Very happy with how it's shooting Big Grin

As well as my 6x47 is shooting it's not the most accurate rifle of the group. 3rd rifle from the front, lefty Bighorn single shot/6BR/Bartlein 28" heavy palma is silly accurate. Last rifle has the new Tubbs two stage trigger. Comparing it to my CG two stages triggers. The 1st stage of the Tubbs is a little smoother, both break about the same. The trigger shoe is a fair amount narrower on the Tubbs, the CG trigger shoe is about the same width as a Remington/Timney. Both very good two stage triggers, flip a coin between the two.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Shot this last week at 100yds. Off to a good start!

Definitely looking good -- both up close and at distance.

Do I detect a pump pillow, or is that a soft-sided picnic cooler? Wink

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle and write up. There may be a 6 or 6.5mm in my future.

On the triggers I'm still playing with the Tubb but think we are close to agreement. I have a couple of the CG's and one is an older model with a narrower shoe similar to the Tubb. The newer has a wider shoe. I do like the Tubb but I won't be replacing the CG's. They are both fantastic triggers.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Very nice offgrid. How many rounds on it and has it sped up?

Still waiting on my CG trigger to try out.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Very nice offgrid. How many rounds on it and has it sped up?

Still waiting on my CG trigger to try out.

110rds. Guessing it will speed up a tad.

Took your suggestion on trying the Hybrids in the 6.5x47 now with 1100rds on the barrel, throat has moved about .030. Shot well. Will shoot some more at 1000yds, see how they hold up comapred to the 130 VLD's.

Yep fritz those are a couple Pump pillows, hard to miss! Recognize that first rifle in the picture? Scott's 6x47 (trued R700/PT&G bolt/Broughton 27.5") that has kicked my butt at our last two matches.

jlemmy, I think you know what 6 or 6.5mm I would suggest, something ending in X47 Wink

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Took your suggestion on trying the Hybrids in the 6.5x47 now with 1100rds on the barrel, throat has moved about .030. Shot well. Will shoot some more at 1000yds, see how they hold up comapred to the 130 VLD's.

Awesome. If that works out let me know the info needed to make a dummy round and I'll use it to throat my next one and see how well starting out with the 140 hybrids does.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
quote:

Awesome. If that works out let me know the info needed to make a dummy round and I'll use it to throat my next one and see how well starting out with the 140 hybrids does.

I'm hoping to start off well with the 140s.

I let my smith know that was the bullet I intended to use, and requested chamber/reamer specs.

I'll let you guys know how it does when it gets here.

Just got the trigger yesterday. Jewell HVRTS-A. I figure if I have issues with it down the road, it's easy to replace, and I shouldn't have much trouble selling the Jewell.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep fritz those are a couple Pump pillows, hard to miss! Recognize that first rifle in the picture? Scott's 6x47 (trued R700/PT&G bolt/Broughton 27.5") that has kicked my butt at our last two matches.

Yah, how do you like zah new pump pillows? Do you feel huge, burly, and all pumped up? Do you crush zose tahgets like zey are vimpy girlie-men? Yah. Are you using the pillow as an arm/elbow rest, or as a more traditional (but big) rear bag?

So....if Scott kicked your butt in those two matches (IIRC about a 10 point advantage) -- since he beat me by 15-ish points, does that mean I got my butt kicked, pulverized, run over by a truck, and impaled with a large pointy stick?

I tell you one thing, Scott knows how to hit targets at 1100 to 1300 yards with that gun. I prefer to scare the targets a bit -- good thing they don't have to repaint the dirt and rocks on either side of the targets for each match.

Posts: 7878 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

I'm hoping to start off well with the 140s.

I let my smith know that was the bullet I intended to use, and requested chamber/reamer specs.

Beanland's reamer used on my chamber and fellow Colorado member Alpine's, .294 neck/.170 FB.

Alpine's rifle shoots the Hybrids very well. Alpine has a pile of rifles, Gap's, Beanland's, TRG's.... His 6.5x47 is the most accurate of the bunch he tells me. My 6.5x47 shot the Hybrids just OK, my barrel prefered the 130's when new. We'll see if the Hybrids hold up now at distance. If not, that's OK.

I suggest starting with the Hybrids jumped .010-.020, Varget 37/37.2/37.4/CCI450. If those don't shoot, go to 130 VLD's jammed .000-.005, Varget 37.5/37.8. It's going to be that simple!

posted Hide Post
The SniperHide Cup is filling up fast.

Hope to see some of you guys there!

http://snipershide.scout.com/f...ration-is-open?s=541

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Guys, I'd like to toss a out a question on brass. I don't know how much variance there is on a brand from caliber to caliber. I've used 3 different brands in .300 win mag. Remington, Hornady and Nosler. Both Remington and Hornady require lots of prep but have yielded some accurate rounds. I wasn't terribly impressed with the Nosler for the price. The necks were not terribly consistent for the extra cost. No more so than the Hornady but the Hornady brass does not have much life. I get some loose primers after 3-4 loads.

I'm wondering about Norma or RWS. Do you think it would be worth the added cost ? Curious if anyone has spent any time with their brass.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Guys, I'd like to toss a out a question on brass. I don't know how much variance there is on a brand from caliber to caliber. I've used 3 different brands in .300 win mag. Remington, Hornady and Nosler. Both Remington and Hornady require lots of prep but have yielded some accurate rounds. I wasn't terribly impressed with the Nosler for the price. The necks were not terribly consistent for the extra cost. No more so than the Hornady but the Hornady brass does not have much life. I get some loose primers after 3-4 loads.

I'm wondering about Norma or RWS. Do you think it would be worth the added cost ? Curious if anyone has spent any time with their brass.

I'm strictly a Lapua guy for bolt gun loads, however there is a local guy that SWEARS by Norma for his 260. He's a decent shot, in competition he put up a 5-round 1.081" at 400 yards a couple shoots ago.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:

I'm strictly a Lapua guy for bolt gun loads, however there is a local guy that SWEARS by Norma for his 260. He's a decent shot, in competition he put up a 5-round 1.081" at 400 yards a couple shoots ago.

Thanks ! Unfortunately Lapua isn't really an option for the .300. Hasn't been produced for some time and I even heard those runs were contracted to another manufacturer. I love my Lapua brass for .223 but am looking for the equivalent in .300 WM. I've heard conflicting reviews on the Norma and not much at all on the RWS. Just trying to get a bit of feedback before dropping $1-$2 on each piece. Thanks for the Norma reference !

Perhaps I'll just get a small amount of each and do some testing Wink

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I have zero experience with the 300 win mag brass jlemmy. I know some of the Norma stuff is better than others in certain calibers. I use it in 6.5 SAUM from 7 and 300 and holding up well. Would venture a guess and say Norma made the brass for Nosler you tried though.

Had a fun day shooting at distance with 280nosler. I took the barricade along and practiced with it some. The Weibad bag definitely helped me but still have a long ways to go. Around 30" high and under I can get pretty stable. From there up to 48" or so I'm wobbly, at least with my barricade. Going to have to keep playing with it at home. Tried using the Weibad as an "only" bag but couldn't get it to do what I wanted to in prone. Was hoping to leave just it hooked to the sling. May have to still tote along a smaller one for prone with my stock though.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, ordered some RWS to try out. Debating on picking up a Bench Source to care for it. Going to push this rifle to a mile in April and want it dialed in.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
No experience with 300WM either, but the Norma 308 brass I have has the tightest primer pockets I have ever dealt with. FN sent me some Remington primers to try and I was able to seat them. CCI, Federal, Wolf fuggeditaboutit!!!

Good luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Got this in today. It is destined for a Manners T4A elite carbon fiber gap camo stock, Chanlynn 8.5 twist barrel, CG xtreme trigger. Will be chambered in 6.5x47. I changed something on my stock order mid stream so not sure when I'm getting it. Was supposed to be soon.

Really liking this action just from handling it. Kelbly Atlas Tactical. Melonite is slick as snot and the passive type ejector can't do anything but help for accuracy. Really like that there's no tension on the round when chambered. Also like the trigger hanger and that the bolt came with a .068 firing pin. Accepts AICS or AW mags. Look forward to building this one.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
That is a thing of beauty !

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's pretty!

Pinned recoil lug? Looks to be a joint on the front of that action..