SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
The Weibad Pump showed up yesterday. Damn it's big.

Dude, you need a bigger pack.

Did the T3 match go on Saturday?

Posts: 7999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Had enough WTF moments with the 6.5 SAUM to put it aside for now, especially for positional type matches. The barrel heats up very quickly and accuracy begins to suffer. Very slow fire or shoot a few and wait a while and accuracy is great

That doesn't sound so good. Hope you find a solution to the problem.

Since the pierced primer took out my trigger and I decided to bush the bolt I've had a little time to play around with this. Stuck the spare Jewell in and screwed the Saum barrel back on to troubleshoot some yesterday. It wasn't the barrel getting hot that caused the problems that time, it was the fact that the barrel decided to speed up over 100fps. My other barrel sped up at around the 100 round count and this one took till over 300. Big jump though and obvious issues being out of the node. (around 1-1/2" groups at 100). Throttled back some rounds to around 3080-3100 and it went back to shooting great. I'm going to give it one more go at distance and see. If it's settled in and will hold this accuracy it'll be awesome. Once the CG X-treme gets here and my bolt gets done I may switch back to 6.5x47 but am going to give this one more go with this rifle.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Consider getting a IOTA. Been using one for quite sometime for dry firing inside.

IIRC, you had some issue with the IOTA. Don't recall if it was reticle clarity, close focusing, dark image -- maybe something else.

I know I have 50mm and 56mm objectives in bolt action scopes. I need to measure AR scope objectives. Or when all else fails, read the instructions with the scope. Do I need different IOTAs for different sized scopes?

Posts: 7999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fritz,

the IOTA has a small window in which it will focus, about 10'-10'6" with my scope.

T3 was cancelled.

A few of us are heading down to Chaffee on monday, welcome to join us.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot a local steel match yesterday on a square range. Little imagination gets us off our bellies. Barrels are plastic, any forward pressure they move, challenging position, fun stuff!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. What range? How did you do?

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Fritz, not sure if Off Grid contacted you, but we're heading to to Chaffee County on Monday for a day of blasting steel. Planning on doing some pistol drills in combination with precision rifle to get us thinking about shooting the Cup this Spring.

Bring the barricade you just built.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
offgrid & Alpine -- Thanks for the offer to shoot at Chaffee County on Monday. Unfortunately I would much rather be there than at the office tomorrow. It's company budget prep time, and I'm digging through the good, the bad, and ugly that department heads have produced.

GRRRR.... I suspect my staff will remove any sharp implements from my office so I don't impale some people.

Ring some steel for me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Nice. What range? How did you do?

Pueblo West range, every 3rd Saturday. Long haul for me to get down there.

Tied for 3rd. Tight match, 1 point seperated 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Girl pictured is on the Olympic rifle shooting team, excellent positional shooter. She made most of us boys cry! She tied for 2nd shooting the match directors rifle.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Just pulled the trigger (literally) on a Tubb T7T trigger. Shall she how it stacks up against the CG Xtreme.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
Just pulled the trigger (literally) on a Tubb T7T trigger. Shall she how it stacks up against the CG Xtreme.

Look forward to your report.

A buddy just bought the Tubbs trigger as well, I'll be yanking on it soon.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Have the Tubb T7T mounted to the action. It's going to require some inletting of the chassis on the front side of the trigger. Once thats done I'll get it adjusted and the stock reassembled. I'll the try to do some comparisons to the CG. Here is a before and after shots for now.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Damn, does your toolbox at work look like that too? Big Grin

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Very nice.

Damn, does your toolbox at work look like that too? Big Grin

Nope, the work box is a mess Frown

posted Hide Post
jlemmy,

how you coming along with the Tubbs trigger? Adjusted it yet?

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
jlemmy,

how you coming along with the Tubbs trigger? Adjusted it yet?

Yes and no, bear with me a bit as this will be a bit of a long winded reply. Let me start off by saying that I keep my rifle triggers set low. Lower than many would deem proper. One of the reasons I prefer a two stage trigger. I can still set the weights low and have a modicum of safety. It stems from a medical issue with my right hand. The condition affects the strength and feeling in my fingers.

That said, I own old tuned Remington, Jewel and CG Extreme triggers and shot many others. I'll try and compare it to the CG as it is my favorite trigger. I have the CG's set at 8 oz. for the first stage and a second stage break of 18 oz.. My plan was to set the T7T to the same weights and try and compare them. That is where I hit the first snag.

The T7T came out of the package with a 16 oz. first stage. Located the adjustment and per the instructions started backing it out. Before I reached the targeted weight the adjustment screw came all the way out. I gave it one full turn back in and was back at 16 oz.. I an NOT ok with going to a lower weight and only have a partial thread of engagement on the screw.

At this point I called the tech support phone number in the instructions. My question stumped their representative. He said he would have to get with the product team and get back to me. That was Thursday morning and I've yet to hear back. I'm trying to be patient as I'm not going shooting anyway. Said issue with the hand keeps me from enjoying cold weather shooting.

So at the moment I have the trigger set to a 16 oz. first stage with a 22 oz. break. So I'm not going to compare the first stage feel of the two triggers. They both hit a nice clearly defined stop at the second stage. My only gripe with the CG is the over-travel movement after the break. With the T7T there is no perceivable movement after the break. The second stage breaks like a Jewel. I think I'm really going to like this trigger. Even if I can't get the first stage weight down. The only way I can see to accomplish that would be to replace the first stage spring with a lighter one.

So for now I'll wait and see if their customer service gets back to me. I had to deal with CG's customer service exactly once. The barreled action was on the workbench and rolled off. It hit the floor on the lower edge of the trigger shoe. The weight of that 26" M24 barrel clearly bent the shoe. I sent it in to CG and received it back in 2 weeks repaired. I was not charged anything for the visit. For now I'll wait and see how Tubb handles it. I don't think this will be an issue for most of the people buying this trigger. However their product description clearly states that the total pull weight is adjustable to under one pound. That clearly isn't possible on my sample.

I'll update if I get a reply back. I may adjust one of my CG's to match the weights of the T7T to give them a proper head to head.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.

Lowering the 2nd stage have any effect on the first stage?

You have your triggers set a little lower then mine. I'm at 14 ounces/14 ounces. I've actually turned up the second stage a little for shooting in the cold, will turn the 2nd stage back down when the weather warms up.

I know what you mean about the over-travel after the break on the CG. The CG's break very crisp/very consistently, I believe we percieve that movement as not breaking like glass? Triggers are definetly a feel thing.

It's interesting that Tubbs compared his trigger to the Jewell in his torture test video and not the CG or Huber.

Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Adjusting the second stage weight didn't seem to effect the first. Which was nice cause the CG does. The only adjustment that seemed to effect other adjustments was the amount of first stage travel. I'll play with it some more but I'm hoping to hear back from their CS before I do.

I'm still very much a fan of the CG trigger and how it breaks. Just wanted to point out a difference between the two. Once it warms up and I can start putting live rounds thru it and come to a conclusion.

I think its safe to say the Jewel was selected cause they knew how it was going to end Wink

posted Hide Post
I'm actually surprised that you would set your first stage lighter and indeed quite a bit lighter than the second stage. Or put another way, why do you want the second stage to be so much heavier than the first stage. In my competition rifles with 2 stage triggers (ARs), all the second stages are set to about half or less of the weight of the first stage. My NM AR-15 has a 2 stage trigger that conforms to the rules of 4.5# minimum on the trigger. The first stage is somewhat over three pounds and the second stage is a pound and a bit. My other match AR has a Geissele that is set to 2 pounds on the first stage and 8 ounces on the second stage, and so on.

I find that I get better trigger break, on command, by bringing the trigger to the stop at the second stage taking up most of the weight. Actually breaking the shot requires minimal effort and minimizes my input to the rifle.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Forgive me I typed all that out before I had my first cup of coffee. The weights I used were totals. Meaning it is set for 16oz. first stage followed by an additional 8oz. for the second stage totaling 22oz. I know that was the incorrect way to state it, my bad.