SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My last two shots of the day were back to back Xs. Coming from a 9. I thought I had a condition and my target puller was fast. When the target came up with an X, I just placed the dot on the same spot as before and pulled the trigger as fast as I could and the second X came up. And I was finished for the day. Then then wind switched and howled again.

We had targets getting ripped off the carriers, and we had to hold the carriers in the air as the wind was pushing them down. Epic.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was able to discern some mirage at 1000 yards during the last match, thanks to the new scope.

What does mirage look like in a 20 mph wind? Smile

Most of the guy I shoot with would have retired and said "Miller time!"

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was able to see it, it looked like a fast flowing river. That was my cue that the wind at the target was now less than 10MPH and check the intermediate flags. There's no mirage to see at 12+.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just added my scores for yesterday to my archive spreadsheet. I see that I actually did better than at the match at the same time last year. The notes for that match say: Cold and very windy from north then east. I only had three Xs that entire match compared to 8 yesterday. I usually get anywhere from 13 to 20 Xs in reasonable conditions.

I never got out of the black which means all my shots were within 22 inches of the center and the vast majority (53 shots out of 60) were within 10 inches of the center (9s, 10s, and Xs.) I had two 7s for the day and five 8s.

posted Hide Post
Nikon -- So I take it you like the new scope?

Your match also brings to light the humor in statements such as:
sub-MOA all day long
if I do my part
look at my 3-round group

Posts: 7999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the new scope. I knew the glass was better, I just had no idea how much by the time I would be on the (freezing) ground behind the rifle at 8:00AM on a dark and stormy [s]night[/s] morning with heavily overcast skies. My NXS would have been quite dark at 42X, the March-X was doing great at 50X.

Well, it was a definite change for me from two cleans and dropping only 4 points at the prior match at 600 yards to dropping 50 points but managing to stay on target and all in the black at 1000 yards. Wow.

I usually rarely ever shoot worse than a 9 at 1000 and there have been many matches last years where I did not get a single 8 or worse, but this past weekend, I was glad to get a 9 or better.

I hate these 20 shot groups where all shots count; no such thing as a called flyer. Well, you can call them whatever you want, but they still count.

My problem now is I still do not have a no-wind zero on the new scope.

posted Hide Post
It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out. A door slammed. The maid screamed.

A flyer occurred.

Posts: 7999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out. A door slammed. The maid screamed.

A flyer occurred.

North.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:

A flyer occurred.

Drama ensued....

Seriously, good shooting in those conditions Nikon. Some freaky stuff happens in the NC mountains at times too shooting over valleys. Saw a former record holder miss the paper after sighters one time. Last time there all flags showed right to left wind. Took a 1.5 mil left hold to hit at 1000....

Had a pretty sucky day myself yesterday. If the pouring rain wasn't bad enough, I had a primer blank in new brass that took out my trigger. Shortened my day somewhat but at least I have a spare.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Drama ensued....

Seriously, good shooting in those conditions Nikon. Some freaky stuff happens in the NC mountains at times too shooting over valleys. Saw a former record holder miss the paper after sighters one time. Last time there all flags showed right to left wind. Took a 1.5 mil left hold to hit at 1000....

Had a pretty sucky day myself yesterday. If the pouring rain wasn't bad enough, I had a primer blank in new brass that took out my trigger. Shortened my day somewhat but at least I have a spare.

Thanks jelrod1, but I was not pleased with my performance. I should have paid more attention to the flags and done better, I lost a lot of points to silliness, but I was just out there to play with my new riflescope and just swooning all over it. I did not win the match, a few others paid attention and beat me like a cheap drum. Now that the novelty has worn off, I'm going to concentrate at the next match.

Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Hey Nikon, which March scope do you have? I just got myself a March FX 5-40 for Christmas. With the treat of a price increase at the first of the year, that pretty much forced me over the edge. Had a chance to look though a couple this year at various matches, and was quite impressed. Now that I have it in hand, I'm even more impressed with the glass. Waiting on a Spuhr mount, and the March will temporarily reside on my 260 until my next custom rifle in 6.5x47 is built.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just finished both legs, and I attached the tall-side leg of my shooting barricade. My fears of having a shaky or flexing barricade were completely unfounded. The things is a frickin' rock, and that's with only one leg attached. Pretty certain I over built it. Completely assembled weight looks to be 66 pounds, so yeah it's sturdy. Good thing the legs come off.

offgrid & alpine -- I can't make the T3 steel match this weekend. Corporate bigwigs will be in town and I'm on call for long-range planning. Waahh. I suppose you'll have to find someone else on the squad to mis-dial elevation on station #1. Red Face

posted Hide Post
quote:
I just finished both legs, and I attached the tall-side leg of my shooting barricade. My fears of having a shaky or flexing barricade were completely unfounded. The things is a frickin' rock, and that's with only one leg attached. Pretty certain I over built it. Completely assembled weight looks to be 66 pounds, so yeah it's sturdy. Good thing the legs come off.

offgrid & alpine -- I can't make the T3 steel match this weekend. Corporate bigwigs will be in town and I'm on call for long-range planning. Waahh. I suppose you'll have to find someone else on the squad to mis-dial elevation on station #1. Red Face

Bummer fritz. My Weibad Pump should be arriving today was looking forward to your comments!

I'm guessing they'll cancel the match, forecast shows low of 9 Friday night, Saturday high 30/cloudy, brrrr.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Got my new bags yesterday. Me likey the Wiebad. Jury's still out on the SAP bag.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpine:
Hey Nikon, which March scope do you have? I just got myself a March FX 5-40 for Christmas. With the treat of a price increase at the first of the year, that pretty much forced me over the edge. Had a chance to look though a couple this year at various matches, and was quite impressed. Now that I have it in hand, I'm even more impressed with the glass. Waiting on a Spuhr mount, and the March will temporarily reside on my 260 until my next custom rifle in 6.5x47 is built.

I have the March-X 5-50X56 with illuminated MTR-2 reticle. It's a 34mm tube with second focal plane reticle and a 10X magnification range.

posted Hide Post
It's alive....

Up close it's not the most perdy piece ever produced. It won't be featured in Woodworking Today or Sunset Magazine.

But it's solid as a rock. No flex when learned on hard. No wobble on a flat surface. It should hold up pretty well to sitting outdoors all year. The imperfections of wood/plywood fit and the plywood chipping from being cut have been filled with sealant, so (at least for some time) I shouldn't have insects and varmints trying to make homes in the hollow sections of the barricade.

For awhile it will stay in my basement, giving me the opportunity to dry fire and get more comfy with some of the barricade's slightly evil shooting positions.

posted Hide Post
Looks good fritz!

Consider getting a IOTA. Been using one for quite sometime for dry firing inside.

http://8541tactical.com/IOTA_review.php

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's alive....

Up close it's not the most perdy piece ever produced. It won't be featured in Woodworking Today or Sunset Magazine.

But it's solid as a rock. No flex when learned on hard. No wobble on a flat surface. It should hold up pretty well to sitting outdoors all year. The imperfections of wood/plywood fit and the plywood chipping from being cut have been filled with sealant, so (at least for some time) I shouldn't have insects and varmints trying to make homes in the hollow sections of the barricade.

For awhile it will stay in my basement, giving me the opportunity to dry fire and get more comfy with some of the barricade's slightly evil shooting positions.

Not sure I understand that the bolded words mean. Is that some type of fancy position used with such a barricade?

Also, don't you think it's about time to remove the price sticker from the scope and/or the rifle?

And where are all the warnings that federal and Colorado laws require?

posted Hide Post
The Weibad Pump showed up yesterday. Damn it's big.

posted Hide Post
Nikon -- Fonix 'R Uss
Next month's budget committee meetings are chaired by a guy from Boston. Instead of "park the car", I will hear "pahk the cah". There will be great "idears", but a lack of "ideas". So I'm just getting in the practice of throwing a random R here and there.

As for the price tag, I figure if it worked for Minnie Pearl, why not me? Unfortunately I don't have a price tag, so a dope card had to work. I call mine a dope card because I'm such a dope that I can't remember accurate elevation and windage data out to 1400 yards. Or yahds.