SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Originally posted by jlemmy:
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:
Nope, plus I don't have to remove the skins to get at my action bolts Wink

Well that is definitely good news!

So, I guess no JAE for you, huh?

Not in the near term or at least not yet. It's time to get it out shooting and see how I like this first. Have plans to take this one on a road trip in April. Going to see just how far I can stretch this rifle's legs. I won't make any final decisions till I've spent some time behind it.

The JAE is definitely on my radar though. If not this perhaps the next bolt project Wink

That's OK, the long action at third Gen is gone now.

But, they do have three short action swat black, and a short action OD if anyone is interested...

You should also bring that rifle to the may shoot!

I'll bring this one along, when it get a bit closer we can discuss what other toys I can bring Big Grin

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
Pardon me if this has been answered, as I'm not really trying to look through 40+ pages of this thread, but do any of you have recommendations for a portable anemometer (wind gauge)? Budget is maybe a couple hundred bucks.

A few guys around me have this one, works well.

http://www.amazon.com/WeatherH...-Meter/dp/B00864MNSE

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have plans to take this one on a road trip in April. Going to see just how far I can stretch this rifle's legs.

How far out?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:
Pardon me if this has been answered, as I'm not really trying to look through 40+ pages of this thread, but do any of you have recommendations for a portable anemometer (wind gauge)? Budget is maybe a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks, that looks pretty good. NikonUser, the Kestrels do seem to be really well rated but not cheap for the upper end models! Eek

Posts: 2171 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quality stuff never is. It also depends on what features you want or you think you need. I know mine is a middle-of-the-road version, but I just don't use it much at all anymore.

If all you need is wind speed, you can forego a lot of expensive features.

Choose wisely.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Have plans to take this one on a road trip in April. Going to see just how far I can stretch this rifle's legs.

How far out?

Will be searching for the rifle's and shooter's limits. The opportunity will be there to try 2000 plus yards Eek

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will be searching for the rifle's and shooter's limits. The opportunity will be there to try 2000 plus yards Eek

What chambering, what expected density altitude?

Posts: 7999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
Quality stuff never is. It also depends on what features you want or you think you need. I know mine is a middle-of-the-road version, but I just don't use it much at all anymore.

If all you need is wind speed, you can forego a lot of expensive features.

Choose wisely.

I think the high-end Kestrel now offers Bluetooth connection to your smartphone apps like SHOOTER (ballistic calculators.) Pretty neat.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I think the high-end Kestrel now offers Bluetooth connection to your smartphone apps like SHOOTER (ballistic calculators.) Pretty neat.

Pretty neat, yes, but shown to have issues. In many of the T3 Ranch steel matches that I shot with offgrid last year, someone on our squad had issues with their Kestrel / electronic ballistic calculator. That's not a good batting average for our squad, although I can't speak for the other squads. Maybe offgrid, alpine, and I send bad juju to electronics. I just don't get tremendously warm fuzzies about the small ballistics devices (Kestrel & phone).

The small portable ballistics calculators do have their place -- say if you don't have dope for a gun, but you do have density altitude, muzzle velocity, and bullet type.

The more robust ballistics calculators are supposedly the ticket for extended long distance shooting -- say one mile and beyond.

For now I will stick with preprinted dope cards when I'm in the field. And a Kestrel for DA and wind speed.

Posts: 7999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

What chambering, what expected density altitude?

This rifle is a .300 Win Mag, it was specifically chambered and throated for the Berger 230gr OTM. With a G7 BC of .368 and a MV of a bit over 2900fps. It gives up very little to the .338 Lapua. I'd be guessing on the DA as I don't yet know the ranges elevation and what the weather is going to be. Give or take some DA and I should still be supersonic past 1700 yards. Really looking forward to this trip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
This rifle is a .300 Win Mag, it was specifically chambered and throated for the Berger 230gr OTM. With a G7 BC of .368 and a MV of a bit over 2900fps.

Cool. Looking forward to your feedback on how things go.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks, that looks pretty good. NikonUser, the Kestrels do seem to be really well rated but not cheap for the upper end models! Eek

Have a look here to see all the models. Pick one with the features you want and go shopping.

http://kestrelmeters.com/pages/compare-kestrel-meters

I have the 2500.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Have a look here to see all the models. Pick one with the features you want and go shopping.

http://kestrelmeters.com/pages/compare-kestrel-meters

I have the 2500.

Word up. My dad just ordered the 3000, so we'll give it a run! Thanks for your help.

Posts: 2171 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Word Up? What does that mean?

Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Word Up? What does that mean?

Affirmative, roger, etc. Not used in a serious fashion, at least by me.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
LOL @ word up. Haven't heard that in nearly 20 years.

In any event... I was able to locate the elusive Razor GenII 4.5-27x56 EBR-2C MOA reticle.

At a local place.

AND they even agreed to match the price of my super secret scope guy! How slick is that?

I'll be driving out there tomorrow evening to pick it up (they are about 100 miles away).

They said they'd hold it for me for 24 hours, so..

I'm also beginning to rethink rattle canning the scope. Not that I have even the slightest reservation about taking a rattle can to a $2500 scope, but rather that I'm already so invested in the rifle, and making everything JUST the way I want it, and professional done and soforth.. I'm just not sure I'd be pleased with the appearance of a rattle canned scope. So I think I'm going to see what that customguncoatings.com guy will charge me to do it.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Called branden at custom gun coating. Graphite black for the scope and rings will be $177 including the ride.

I guess I'm not going to rattle can after all. I'd hate to have a Shitty looking scope in top of such an expensive rifle. Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
After a brief disagreement with my bank about my purchase limit on my debit card, I am finally home with the elusive razor. It'll be shipped right out tomorrow morning to be cerakoted a respectable color.

For a scope with an msrp of $3200, you'd think they could give you some decent fucking lens covers. Jeez.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Glad you arent going to rattle can that scope!

I thought the same thing when I got my Viper.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Glad you arent going to rattle can that scope!

I thought the same thing when I got my Viper.

The Viper is already black.. . I'm guessing you want FDE or od or something?

The pictures of example scopes he's done are impressive, and his price is very fair, I think, considering the amount t of work required to make sure turrets are taped, nothing gets on the lenses, etc..