SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
The plywood is 3/4" treated. I do like how light it is being open and is easy to load and unload even with the feet attached. The shelf effect from being fully framed would be nice for playing with the balance point of the rifle but I guess it's good to train without the shelf too to maybe more simulate railing. I'll try it out and go from there. Ended up with 12,24,30,36, and 48" heights.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I trust everyone's Christmas was good.

Mine was superb and Santa and my family outdid themselves. I now have something new for Long Range.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
I trust everyone's Christmas was good.

Mine was superb and Santa and my family outdid themselves. I now have something new for Long Range.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Yes, Christmas was wonderful. Glad to hear yours was as well, but we really want pics!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not a rifle, it's a scope. My family bought me a March scope for Christmas.

A 5-50X56 scope. How cool is that?

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not a rifle, it's a scope. My family bought me a March scope for Christmas.

A 5-50X56 scope. How cool is that?

That's awesome!

Those are pretty spendy.

How does it compare to your old 12-42? Do you like it better? I'm guessing you were able to look through it prior to the purchase? I hope? Tell us!

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's very spendy. It cost as much as the F-TR rifle it's going on as replacement for the current NF.

When Kelbly came by our range a couple months back, I had the opportunity to look through several March scopes. I never considered the glass in the Nightforce to be top notch. Don't get me wrong, it's good glass but it's not great. For the price I paid for it, I was a little disappointed, but at the time it was the only game in town for high magnification scopes with the features I needed such as a decent reticle.

With advancing age, I find it difficult sometimes to discern the black dot on the black target, especially in the early morning or during an overcast day. I turn on the illuminated reticle and that helps, but the illumination on the NF is a bear to adjust.

What I really wanted was a 34mm tube with the optics to match. Having a larger tube allows for bigger internal lenses and bigger lenses perform better, for the same quality of optics. To prove that to yourself, just look through a quality spotting scope and compare the image to what you get through a riflescope of the same power. I've had many people say, "I wish I could mount my spotting scope on my rifle."

The NF has a 30mm tube and it has about 45 MOA of travel. The March has a 34mm tube and about the same amount of travel so they didn't use the same size lenses in the March and add all manners of adjustment range; they put in bigger internal lenses, which is what I was after.

It was all about optics and yes, I like it better than the NF. I got 34mm rings for it, from Kelbly and a new anticant device, also 34mm. I will be mounting everything this weekend and boresigthing it. I hope to hit the range before the next match to confirm everything.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's very spendy. It cost as much as the F-TR rifle it's going on as replacement for the current NF.

When Kelbly came by our range a couple months back, I had the opportunity to look through several March scopes. I never considered the glass in the Nightforce to be top notch. Don't get me wrong, it's good glass but it's not great. For the price I paid for it, I was a little disappointed, but at the time it was the only game in town for high magnification scopes with the features I needed such as a decent reticle.

With advancing age, I find it difficult sometimes to discern the black dot on the black target, especially in the early morning or during an overcast day. I turn on the illuminated reticle and that helps, but the illumination on the NF is a bear to adjust.

What I really wanted was a 34mm tube with the optics to match. Having a larger tube allows for bigger internal lenses and bigger lenses perform better, for the same quality of optics. To prove that to yourself, just look through a quality spotting scope and compare the image to what you get through a riflescope of the same power. I've had many people say, "I wish I could mount my spotting scope on my rifle."

The NF has a 30mm tube and it has about 45 MOA of travel. The March has a 34mm tube and about the same amount of travel so they didn't use the same size lenses in the March and add all manners of adjustment range; they put in bigger internal lenses, which is what I was after.

It was all about optics and yes, I like it better than the NF. I got 34mm rings for it, from Kelbly and a new anticant device, also 34mm. I will be mounting everything this weekend and boresigthing it. I hope to hit the range before the next match to confirm everything.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you use an anticant device that mounts to the scope tube, as opposed to one that mounts to the rail (like the popular folding US Optics one).

What is the reason for that? I currently have the USO one, but if there is some benefit to having a scope-mounted one, I would be willing to make that switch when I get a new scope.

posted Hide Post
Yes, that is correct. I started with one that mounted on the rail below the scope but over time, I decided that I wanted one that was as near as the highest point on the rifle that mattered and that was the centerline of the riflescope, or as close to it as these things get.

The way I figure it, the angular displacement at the bore or the rail is less than the angular displacement at the higher positioned riflescope, so the bubble would be more offset and easier to see at the riflescope compared to being at the bore, for the same cant angle.
Also the ones on the scope tube are really unobtrusive from the point of view of catching on things. They are more difficult to install and set properly, but you only need to do that once.

When I'm preparing my shooting position, I set my rifle level according to the bubble by adjusting the bipod legs and then I can refine once in position with the adjustment on the Joy-Pod or Sinclair. Once set, it doesn't move for the rest of the string, but I keep an eye on it.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Ahh. A very good point, and one I had failed to think of, somehow. Simple physics, really.

Makes complete sense.

Thanks for taking the time to explain that tidbit to me. Looks like I'll be on the hunt for a 34mm one as well!

What did you choose for yours?

posted Hide Post
Don't tell anyone because I'm kind of ashamed to have anything from that company but it's a Vortex anticant device. Let's keep that between us.

I mounted the scope on the kitchen table today and it's now set for the 1000 yard target. Looking forward to the 1000 yard match this weekend. And yes, there's a noticeable improvement over the Nightforce.

posted Hide Post
Going to shoot with a couple buddies today. 60rds loaded for the 6.5x47, 100rds of 22LR.

What's missing from my rifles? Yep, bi-pods, it's a no bi-pod day, all positional stuff, shooting sticks, off my pack.... Won't shoot any further then 500yds with the 6.5, depending on the wind 100yds or so with the 22lr. I'm a solid prone shooter, positional shooting is my weakness. No doubt I'll have plenty of misses today.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun training day offgrid. I took the freshly made barricade out yesterday. Didn't take too many shots from it because it would have just been wasting ammo. I have a lot to learn with that thing and need to practice at home with positions.

Had enough WTF moments with the 6.5 SAUM to put it aside for now, especially for positional type matches. The barrel heats up very quickly and accuracy begins to suffer. Very slow fire or shoot a few and wait a while and accuracy is great. I think it will be great for prone matches in VA where horsepower seems to rule and stages are short lived and slow.

Took my 6.5x47 barrel to the shop today and threaded it for a brake and installed it back on the Sentinel rifle. It will go back to being my comp caliber for a while. Ease of loading and sheer accuracy and precision with it wins out for now.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Had enough WTF moments with the 6.5 SAUM to put it aside for now, especially for positional type matches. The barrel heats up very quickly and accuracy begins to suffer. Very slow fire or shoot a few and wait a while and accuracy is great

That doesn't sound so good. Hope you find a solution to the problem.

Posts: 7999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that horsepower comes with a price. It may be fine for comps but those issues don't happen with the 6.5x47 and I don't like it. Wind was very tricky yesterday and the misses were up, down, left and right just barely missing the plate but still misses. With the barrel hot things just didn't repeat. I think it could still be good for the slow fire prone matches.

posted Hide Post
On and off, I read the 6.5 SAUM GA Precision thread on Sniper's Hide site. Lots of talk about a high muzzle velocities, very good accuracy, long-ish barrel life. Most of the talk is about hunting, although George Gardner (GAP) says he's using one in PRS competition with great accuracy and good barrel life.

It's impossible for me to argue with Gardner -- too good of a shooter, too much time in the rifle business. I'm just a noob trying to understand the basics of this game. But my gut says there must be tradeoff somewhere with all that powder pushing a bullet down a small-ish bore. It has happened with virtually any necked-down wildcat cartridge.

Posts: 7999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Yeah it's hard to argue with George and his success. I am a big fan of the cartridge and will certainly be the chambering for my upcoming hunting build. It is very accurate but the 6br and 6.5x47 have spoiled me in certain aspects regarding precision and longevity of it over sustained strings of fire.

posted Hide Post
jelrod1,

sorry to hear the 6.5saum is not working out for you.

With my 6BR , 6.5x47 and 6x47, I too certainly understand being spoiled regarding precision and longevity of it over sustained strings.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Went to the 100 yard range today with the 6.5x47. After sighting in I placed a dot drill target on each side of the range since it was empty. Layed prone in between them and alternated targets right and left handed. I practice left handed a lot anyway for hunting, but offgrid may know what that practice could potentially be for if the opportunity presents itself. Practicing options....

After I got home I played with the barricade more. Lower level bone to bone is getting better. Upper levels standing need plenty more work. Squaring up to the gun is working much better than blading away but still getting the wobbles. Will practice with it more at home and take it back with me to the range next time.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Upper levels standing need plenty more work. Squaring up to the gun is working much better than blading away but still getting the wobbles.

In Rifles Only's advanced precision rifle course everyone must shoot the entire four days from barricades, slung positions, or improvised positions. It was a hard course, but an eye opener. Although some positions required a bit of blading, we found more consistent shooting the more nearly square we were to the support. The big moment for me was on the second day, standing (4-ish foot hight barricade), with Jacob Bynum right there to help me through stability issues. With bipod legs down, I jammed the legs hard into the barricade, leaned into the gun, and had the buttstock pressed firmly into my clavicle. I broke the shot perfectly on a plate 200 yards away and the gun didn't move.

Jacob asked if I saw the bullet impact the steel, which I shockingly replied yes. He said continue shooting like that and I will eventually see bullet impacts at 100 yards.

My barricade project continues to creep along in the basement. The plywood faces are now screwed to the lumber frame. Legs have been cut and just received their first coat of stain.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Went to the 100 yard range today with the 6.5x47. After sighting in I placed a dot drill target on each side of the range since it was empty. Layed prone in between them and alternated targets right and left handed. I practice left handed a lot anyway for hunting, but offgrid may know what that practice could potentially be for if the opportunity presents itself. Practicing options....

After I got home I played with the barricade more. Lower level bone to bone is getting better. Upper levels standing need plenty more work. Squaring up to the gun is working much better than blading away but still getting the wobbles. Will practice with it more at home and take it back with me to the range next time.

Dot drill weak/strong is good idea, thanks. How was shooting the 6.5x47 with a brake? Barricade/positional shooting is whole new skill set for sure.

Had a good day at the range Saturday practicing positional shooting with a good friend. Tough weather, 18 degrees when we arrived, sun was out though! We shot from 4 positions, standing off of tri-pod, barricade high kneeling/low kneeling/sitting. Two targets at 330yds, about a 30yd swing L-R between them. Shoot at each target from each position. Shot it w/o timing ourselves a few times, stopping and talking about how/what we did, which position is the hardest for us, what to change... Then shot with a 2 minute limit. Started about 5' from the first position, go! First couple times through, we both fumbled a bit managing our inventory, amazing what the pressure of a clock will do! After several times, we both were getting into position smoother... and finishing right at 1:30. Cleaned it a couple times. Fun stuff.

Shot off of sticks sitting, kneeling with our 22's at 100yds.

My buddy has a Weibad Pump bag, I've used it before, yesterday convinced to get one.

With all the trigger threads lately. Worth noting the triggers my buddy has on his rifles, Hubers. I put about 50rds through his 223 shooting the positional stuff, pull weights very simialr to my CG Extremes. Give a slight edge to my CG triggers, that's probably because I have some many rounds on them? Huber trigger, not too shabby.