SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
92fstech & David, you guys don't have access to an indoor 50" range, for inclement weather shooting?

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15917 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I do, but it's not heated. Our gun club has what is essentially an uninsulated pole barn with a backstop for indoor pistol and rimfire shooting, and thankfully it's designed around the NRA standard of 50 feet. It's gonna be cold as heck in there, though, lol. No worries...it won't stop me. I'll just suck it up and shoot it. It's supposed to warm up some by the end of the week, too, so I may wait until Friday.

I'm actually supposed to go do my annual quals at the indoor range at the Sheriff's dept today, but my buddy who's the lead firearms guy over there said we may have to postpone because the vents for the air handling system won't open because they're frozen shut. There are sensors that keep the fans from coming on when the vents are closed, which is probably a good thing normally, but in this case it might have pushed enough warm air up there to get them thawed. He's going to try to get up on the roof this morning and thaw them out...I'm not real optimistic.

Posts: 8705 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Don't risk frostbite of important appe Eek ndages.

Posts: 15917 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I just printed the target. How many sheets each week? Richard only posted one sheet, but the rules state three. I want to go to the range tomorrow (Tuesday) and I'm confused.

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBGarlikov:
I just printed the target. How many sheets each week? Richard only posted one sheet, but the rules state three. I want to go to the range tomorrow (Tuesday) and I'm confused.

Sorry for the confusion, David.

Its three ten-shot targets for each 30 shot match entry, but it is a re-entry match, so you can shoot and enter a three target score (300 possible) each week that the match is open.

I posted my three target scores numerically, but only a photo of one of them, as an example of scoring.

What I failed to do in my first entry post is add up the scores on the three targets:

"T1: 85-1X T2: 89 T3: 89-1X"

So, I got a score of 263-2X/300

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Still zero here this morning. Runs have been out of the question because the roads are a sheet of ice, but I walked a mile and a half this morning and froze my face. It's supposed to warm up some by Friday, and I'm off that day so I'll try to go shoot this then.

They did get the vents opened up so we were able to qual yesterday. We have takehome cars, and a policy about having a qualified sidearm on your person when you're driving it, so I was "that guy" who showed up to the range with 6 guns. I always want to be sure that I'm covered with anything that I might conceivably throw on the belt that day.

Could have gone better, could have gone worse. No problems qualifying with anything, but my goal is perfection and I rarely achieve it. I dropped a point or two with a couple of them (that damn 92x is such a nice gun, but it always rolls left for some reason), but I got clean runs with my duty gun, my primary off-duty carry P220 Compact, and my 640. Groups still weren't as tight as I'd like, but at least they were all in.

Reloads hurt my times some with the revolver, but I don't usually carry a reload for it anyway due to the role I use it in, and I was pretty happy to be able to keep everything on target out to 25 yards under time pressure with a 2" J-Frame. Kinda messed up that I shot it better than a Compact 92x and a P320 Carry with a dot, though Confused. I dropped 2 points with the subcompact P320, but that grip has always given me trouble.

Posts: 8705 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
on target out to 25 yards under time pressure with a 2" J-Frame. Kinda messed up that I shot it better than a Compact 92x and a P320 Carry with a dot, though

Well, that IS disappointing. Maybe I can help.

Based on everything I've learned from The Internet, the problem with the red-dot is that your presentation sucks.

But if you'll just change the battery, torque your mounting screws, clean the lens,
watch the target instead of the dot and the girl with the V-neck sweater in the next lane about to do the hot-brass-down-the-cleavage-squeal,
commence to do two twenty-minute dry-fire sessions a day for 6 months, with a couple 2 day red dot classes and some serious coaching from a red dot shooting friend,
you'll end up not only shooting your red dot better, but your 2" J-frame and patrol rifle as well, and you'll score in the 90th percentile on this rimfire rifle postal match,
your dog will come home, your horse's tibia will knit and the sky will clear and the sun come out and the day will warm, and the hens will start laying again.

It is written in stone.

Smile

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Lol! Well, some of that definitely DID NOT come true, especially the part about scoring in the 90th percentile on the postal match, and the day warming!

It was still horribly cold (2 degrees, wind chill of -17), but it was my day off and I needed something to do, so we went to the gun store. I accidentally bough/traded into something that I've been lusting after for years, so we just had to go shoot it. I figured while we were there, we might as well shoot the match.

Loading mags sucked. Hanging targets sucked (that metal stapler gets COLD!). Trying to hold stil and not shake like a leaf sucked. Gloves were helpful, but they had to be removed for certain things, and that was no fun. I did wear them to shoot, because I figured on or off I wouldn't be able to feel the trigger anyway!

I managed a 237-2X/300. The two off the targets on the first page really hurt me.

Noah shot a 198-1X/300. He didn't bring gloves, or a hat. Poor life choices!

We both shot the 457, with the can using Winchester 45 grain Supersupressed. Interestingly, it sounded like some of it (about 25-30%) was going supersonic today, which has not happened in the past with that load. I wonder if the cold had something to do with that.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Not bad, not bad at all. To even things up, I'm gonna ask the manager of Publix if I can stand in their freezer and post my target fifty feet away down the cereal & crackers aisle for my next entry.

Recently, my son and I shot my 457 with the can on and off at 50 yards. Seems like the suppressor opened up the groups considerably. I cleaned it well, inspected it for lead shavings and or baffle-strikes,

and tried it on my S&W M41 with similar results at fifty feet.

Can't say I'm not disappointed. Maybe I'll order a Silencerco thread spacer. Maybe that will help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I wish I could blame the suppressor for my performance this time, but unfortunately I'm entirely responsible. I've been pretty happy with this gun/suppressor combo at 50 yards and I know it's capable of holding the X-ring at 50 feet if I'd just do my part. Frown

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Shot it again today. It was a lovely 19 degrees out, so a little better than last time. Noah shot it once and got a 203-2X/300. I shot it twice and got a 242-2X/300, and 251/300 (no X). Getting better, still not good. It's supposed to warm up into the 30s this week so hopefully I'll get another chance at it.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its a balmy 39°F outside at the moment and hazardouswindchill clickbait warnings on the weather sites. Cool IDPA match this morning.

I think your outdoor cold weather scores are marvelous.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Its a balmy 39°F outside at the moment and hazardouswindchill clickbait warnings on the weather sites. Cool IDPA match this morning.

I think your outdoor cold weather scores are marvelous.

It always cracks me up when we go to the in-laws' in the winter and the radio is talking about the "HARD FREEZE WARNING!!!!!!!" when there's a projected low of 35, lol. I told my wife I don't think they know how cold works down here! On the other hand, I'll happily trade 3-4 weeks a year of frozen hellscape to not have to endure a hot and muggy Florida summer. I melt at about 80...you guys have my admiration for putting up with that!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its down to 37! Eek Eek Eek

Another few degrees drop, and the dreaded snowflake icon might appear on my dashboard.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Too much snow on the ground in Columbus Ohio. It’s a little warmer today at 18°.

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
NRA--A-321 by David Garlikov, on Flickr
NRP-A322 by David Garlikov, on Flickr
NRA-A323 by David Garlikov, on Flickr

Shot with my Tippman M4-22 Pro. There were several targets shot before these to get my Vortex Copperhead 4-12x44 zeroed at 50'. My time was between 14" and 15", I forgot the exact time. Although I feel that I did quite well, I did it not totally following instructions. An ailment that hopefully will be corrected by back surgery on 2/6, caused me to lean against the side of the bay. So although it wasn't my intention to cheat, I wanted to shoot this one so I hope that the above explanation will exonerate me and keep me out of the penalty box.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good work, David, and you'll feel great after your surgery and therapy.
Something to look forward to.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice work, David! From the photos I'm seeing an 82, 85-1X, and an 81 for a total of 248-1X/300.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Its down to 37! Eek Eek Eek

Finally got up to 37 here today

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its going to be a high of 81°F here tomorrow, jljones.

David, after reading your post, I re-discovered that Tippmann started making .22RF AR's a few years ago. Cool!
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_______________

Today's entry: Savage B-Mag, .17WSM 25GR, 4X scope, offhand, 50', hasty sling.

B-Mags and their ammo have a poor reputation in the accuracy department, but at fifty feet, the wheat doesn't have a chance to separate from the chaff.

254-2X/300