SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give that a try!

Posts: 8840 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

When I have the gun in two hands, I really crank down on the grip. ... SHO/WHO I d crank down on the gun, but I run my thumbs straight up in the air...

jljones, is that thumbs up with 'pliers grip' or with pinky pressure?

Posts: 15970 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've dabbled with the "thumb-up" one-handed grip in the past, but I think I was doing it wrong, as I was treating it more of a way to maintain even lateral pressure instead of a means of driving the web of my hand higher up into the backstrap. When we got the Romeo1 Pros w/ shroud, I gave up on it altogether because that stupid metal shroud kept taking chunks out of my thumb.

I did a bunch of dry work this morning (with my RMR-Equipped P320 to save my sensitive little thumbs!) trying to get a feel for the different grip technique and focusing on getting my hand up high into the backstrap on the one-handed grip.

I did stop by the range for a few minutes on my way home from dropping Noah off to put it to the test. First run went ok, just a little slow and I just barely threw one LHO. The second time through I tried to go faster and I could feel that my LHO grip wasn't right from the very beginning but didn't want to take the time to fix it, and that cost me.

I'm working all weekend so It'll be a bit before I can get back to the range, but it'll give me some time to put in more dry reps before I try it again on paper.

Posts: 8840 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good effort, 92fstech.

Posts: 15970 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Over the last three weeks, I've been trying to harden my grip: hands, wrists, elbows. That is starting to pay off in dry fire, airgun practice at 10M, and the other matches I shoot.
___

The(an)other goal (for a couple years) is to focus mindset on being patient enough to see a perfect sight picture before allowing the trigger to release.

This is hard. Its like a series of World Wrestling Federation grudge matches between the angel on one shoulder saying "Wait, wait, see the sights" and the devil on my other shoulder saying " Tick, tock, tick, tock, Bitch!"

Three tries today, after our Tac/Prac match:

CZ TS 357 Sig, 125gr Blazer, from table/safety on, countdown timer on "smart"phone, all three targets <8 secs (Tick, tock).

First effort: -2 BH and RHO, -0 LHO, total = -2 inside 8 seconds.

Second effort: with poor mindset ( fucking devil on the other shoulder) -0 BH?, -2 RHO?, -3 (don't know), -1 LHO, total all three - 5 <8 seconds.

Third effort: -0 BH. -2 RHO, -1 LHO, total all three -3 at <8 seconds.

[Pics to follow.]

Notice a pattern?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you're doing better LHO than RHO, even while keeping it under time. My experience has been very much the opposite.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes, hind brain says, LHO is harder, slow down (ignore the clock), pay attention to fundamentals.

One of them:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
One would think that a shooter with a slicked up CZ P09 could have broken through the glass ceiling.

Smile

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
One would think that a shooter with a slicked up CZ P09 could have broken through the glass ceiling.

Smile

Lol I'd love to if I could ever get a day off work. My "weekend" starts tomorrow, but I'm in training all day both days and then back to regular shift work Wed and Thurs. Hopefully we can sneak it in some evening after one of the training days...I'm really curious how that gun will run now, and if it'll actually pop primers with that crazy light trigger.

Noah will give me a bunch of crap if we outshoot ourselves with that thing. I've been talking smack about it ever since we bought it...keep telling him he should have bought a Sig, and showing him up with that P226. We can't compare them now, though, because the P226 slide is off getting milled.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I think that I’m ready to get back in the game. Exactly what are we shooting at and what parameters?

FYI: I still have the pain that I had before the surgery. Was it worth the effort? Not yet.

Posts: 190 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good to have you back, David! Sorry you're still dealing with pain. We're still shooting the Q target abomination that Richard proposed on page 59. Nobody's cleaned it yet except jljones.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Got home after training today to discover that my wife and daughter have been throwing up all day, so nobody made it to the store and also Noah's youth group event got un-cancelled, so I had to get him to that by 6:00, plus come up for dinner for everybody else. As such, our shooting plans got messed with a bit, but we did manage to stop by the range for 20 minutes on the way to drop him off at Youth Group.

We only shot the P09, but I've gotta say it's a totally different gun. That trigger is amazing now. It was 100% reliable as well, with zero light strikes with about 75 rounds of factory ammo and reloads.

We shot a variation of the match drill because I figured it would be a good way to put the gun through a variety of grips when testing for reliability. I haven't made a holster for it yet (another thing on the to-do list) so we had to shoot the drill from the low-ready. As such, it's not an official entry, and I didn't have time to take photos anyway. I managed to shoot it with all three stages under time, with one out (LHO), but I only got to run it once. I need to make a holster for it before we try again.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hope wife and daughter were better quickly.
Shot the match 5 times today.
Best result was -2,<8 seconds from tabletop.
Full size S&W M&P 357 Sig, Speer Lawman 125gr.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Not bad, especially with a spicy caliber like .357 Sig!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So not the postal match per-se, but it did involve one-handed shooting, just in more of a real-world application.

I went over to the in-laws to burn the brush pile the other day, and I had to go down in the basement to turn on the outside spigot. The basement is a "Michigan Basement"...stone walls and a dirt floor. A truly creepy, dank hole.

We've been having problems with a groundhog burrowing under the house for about 6 months, and despite months of trying we haven't been able to trap him or catch him outside. When I opened the basement door to go down there, that furry little bastard was sitting on the steps and took off into the basement. The Streamlight Macrostream and P229 came out, and I went after him using the Harries technique.

I found him behind the water heater and the only shot I had on him was through a 2" gap between the water heater and the wall. I was pretty close...only about 2 yards away...but I still briefly contemplated the consequences of missing and holeing the water heater (either directly, or via ricochet off the stone wall), but ultimately decided it was worth the risk and took the shot. 124gr 9mm HST right in the head and he was done. Head was in-line with the torso, so as far as I can tell the bullet never exited. Nice and humane with no holes in the water heater or anything else.

Where there's one there's more, so I doubt we're done with the problem for good, but it's a step in the right direction, and I got some practical use out of the drill we've been working, lol.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Well done, 92fstech.

Great hostage scene for the next tactical-practical match.

quote:
The Streamlight Macrostream and P229 came out, the eye & ear pro went on, and I went after him using the Harries technique.

I edited for you. There are impressionable newbs reading, you know.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I wear glasses, so the eyes are always covered. Ears...well, we'll just say a 9mm is pretty loud in a 80 square foot basement with stone walls.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I found a couple ( ha ha, turned out to be one) boxes of .32 Long wadcutters , so I broke out the old Arminius revolver, previously shown on p.3 of this thread.

The plan was to practice fire the match with unlimited time, until all shots are dependably inside, and then, maybe, just maybe, fire for score in under 8 seconds.

Magtech .32 Long 98gr wadcutters, Arminius 2 3/4" barrel revolver

T1: Sa, unlimited time. This is promising. Only last shot outside.

T2: DA. Had to try with timer. Less than 8 seconds. Dumbass.
OK, DA isn't in the cards with this revolver. Today, anyhow.

T3: SA, unlimited time. Only 14 cartridges left, because the box that felt full, was. Of fired cases.
So, only 14 shots fired and fifteen hits.

One of which sounded like a squib, and sure enough, after making sure the bore was clear, reeled in the target and one of those hits is a dimple, not a hole. Inexplicably, it hit within the grouping, just down and left of the "Q".
Wonder where the bullet bounced off to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of which sounded like a squib, and sure enough, after making sure the bore was clear, reeled in the target and one of those hits is a dimple, not a hole. Inexplicably, it hit within the grouping, just down and left of the "Q".

That's crazy...what were you using as a target backer?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The black hanging foam backer at the commercial range, not as shot-up as ths one.

The target itself is printed on tougher card stock paper; it takes some force to push the roofing nail fasteners through it.