SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 66
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://www.targets.ws/shootin...rkey-head-target.pdf

https://i.imgur.com/aUBTJ8p.jpg

If I may be so bold as to suggest a repeat of the Thanksgiving week turkey shoot as an add-on , right in the current postal match, since we're into the rimfire aspect ...

POSTAL MATCH DESCRIPTION

So, you're in your turkey blind, 90 miles from home, and you brought 20G shells for your 12 gauge shotgun.
An incredibly dumb (even dumber than a 20G shells for 12G human) fat turkey is 20 feet away, so you pull your .22 rimfire kit gun (revolver or pistol) and get off six shots.

Scoring is :
Any hole cutting the circle is ten points. No time limit.
Any hole in neck or head above the horizontal line (at least half in) counts only 2 points because you'll have to chase him into the bushes.
Beak excluded.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 16071 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm in for another turkey shoot!

Posts: 8965 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I had a lot of cooperation from the other guys at the range on Wednesday. I let them know when I needed to take my 5 shots and they all stopped until after I took the shots. By now you probably figured that this wasn't the only target I shot at. I shot in 4.63 seconds with my S&W M&P 9 compact. I think my score is 44.

Putin 12:23 by David Garlikov, on Flickr

Posts: 197 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
How long will the Turkey challenge be alive?

quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

So, you're in your turkey blind, 90 miles from home,

Posts: 197 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice target David.

It looks like a 46-1X .

Posts: 16071 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting, David! I imagine ol' Vlad appreciated not getting one in the noggin, too!

Posts: 8965 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Well, I cannot follow my own instructions. I forgot it was only 6 rounds per target, not ten. I'll have to shoot it again.

H&R 929 "SideKick', CCI "Quiet-22" ammo.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I figured this at 26 points. But it's actually only 24.

Turkey by David Garlikov, on Flickr

How do I eliminate the filename, etc at the lower right of the photo?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBGarlikov:
How long will the Turkey challenge be alive?

Until we all get tired of leftovers? Big Grin

Good work, David!

I went to the range this afternoon to shoot it with a proper 6 round per turkey target count, but took the wrong box of targets. :9

Need to start taking Prevogen, if I could ever remember to order some.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice work guys! David, you can eliminate the filename by editing the link in your post to only include the "IMG" tags and the information between them.

I shot it a few times today, and this was my best (it took a little playing around to figure out point of impact at 20 feet)

Kind of hard to tell where the edge of the circle was...I'll call it three hits in, so 36. I'm no so upset about the two high left, but that one litle guy down at 5 o-clock pissed me off.

The MkIV ran ok. It still occasionally struggles with ejecting the first round over a full mag if I don't lube the bullets, but the heavier VQ firing pin seems to have eliminated the light strikes completely.

Since the red-dot equipped MkIV isn't really in keeping with the spirit of a kit gun, I shot it again with another one I've been working on that I'd be more likely to be carrying in the woods...the "sock-drawer" Model 19 Snubby (due to the finish dmage on the cylinder, likely from the previous owner leaving it in a leather holster in his sock drawer for years). I picked this one up a few weeks back and have been working to set it up to my liking. I ditched the wide target trigger because it was horrible for DA shooting , aded the BK grip adapter, and a Wilson spring kit, accompanied by some judicous polishing. The action still isn't as nice as my Model 69, but it's acceptable. I know it's not a rimfire, so this is not an official run...just for fun.

I score this one as a 28, all shot double-action.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good eye, 92fstech!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Occured to me that the PMR-30 might be a great kit gun.
I was throwing patterns at the turkey with CCI Maxi-Mag 40GR HP.
Didn't hit the circle until target 4. Got two in.
Then tried Remington .22 Win Mag Premiere 33GR ACCUTIP-V, and got one in. That stuff deemed to almost "group' rather than 'pattern.' Target 5.
Guess which ammo I have a big hoard of: Frown

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've only got one gun in .22 mag, my Single-Six Convertible, but it has always shot way better for me in .22LR. I don't know if it has something to do with the higher velocities out of a short handgun barrel or what, but it just won't group as tight with the magnums, and there's not enough recoil increase there to blame it solely on my shooting.

In concept, though, the PMR-30 would indeed make a fantastic kit gun!

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Ok, the pressure is off. Go back and try the CCI again. I fail to believe that at 20 feet the ammo makes such a difference.

Try them both. This time, start with the Remington.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Dangit, now I want to go try it with the revolvers, and the magnum cylinder too!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Shot it today with the "real" kit gun, Model 63, and the Single-Six with both cylinders.

The 63 is just a fantastic little gun. I shot this one DA, got a 30...so a 50% chance of Turkey dinner!

The Single-Six was harder to shoot well because the black sights blended in on the dark target, and I found it very difficult to achieve a front sight focus. I ended up holding off onto the white space of the paper, getting vertical alignment, then moving the gun over the target. Not ideal...but it's still a pretty decent shooter with .22LR. I score it a 28.

.22 Magnum was an entirely different matter. It was all over the place. I shot three targets and this was the best...and I feel like that was only the case because I got lucky and a round clipped the circle. One of the targets had a round keyhole off to the left of the bird, so the gun is clearly not stabilizing this stuff properly. I haven't shot much .22 Mag through it, nor do I keep much variety on hand since this is the only gun I own in that caliber...but I'm really not impressed. It also left a lot of unburned powder and started to become a pain to load after the first cylinder. There may be a magnum load out there that will work in this gun, but this one definitely isn't it. Scored as an 11.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very good!

Speer .22 Mag Short Barrel Gold Dot might be better performing out of handgun barrels.

Would be interesting to try.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Very good!

Speer .22 Mag Short Barrel Gold Dot might be better performing out of handgun barrels.

Would be interesting to try.

Not a bad idea. I need to see if I can find some. I really like their Short Barrel Gold Dot load for the .357, it's just next to impossible to find it anywhere Frown.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Scarce and expensive.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
How about something a little more spicy to warm you up in cold weather?

“The Test” from concealment. 10 rounds, 10 seconds, 10 yards, from concealment. Shot on a B8. Standard is usually 90 percent or higher. 5 point deduction for each second over on time.

(Test usually isn’t shot from concealment)

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37143 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post