SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
OK, so on the proper targets with smaller scoring rings, I scored less than last weekend. Same pistols, same ammo.

Its a mathematical mystery! Maybe you guys can help me understand why. Big Grin

.22RF: Slow 44, Timed 58, Rapid 77

Centerfire 9MM: Slow 52, Timed 68, Rapid 59

But also, I was seeing better last weekend. Wish I knew how to work that way every time.
Today, I had only one of the six targets with all ten on paper. One had two off and the others one off.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
“P R A C T I C E”

David Garlikov

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Some days are just like that. Just gotta keep at it...a bad day shooting still beats a good day at work Big Grin!

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Had time after work to run centerfire match again: Slow 47, Timed 73, rapid 77, same pistol and ammunition.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice work! I'm enjoying the ongoing challenge of this one.

Posts: 8569 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Finally got another day off work, so of course it rained. There was finally a break for a bit so I tried to go shoot the Enfields, and it was raining agin by the time I got to the range. This is literally the worst time of year. Nothing but water falling from the sky, and it's not doing anybody any good...no crops in the ground yet, all it's doing is making everything a giant muddy mess. On the upside, I was there there's an awning over the pistol bay so I did another run with the MkIV.

74 Slow + 90 Timed + 88 Rapid = 252 Overall.

Dropped 2 points from my last attempt, but I'll take it. I blame deviation of ballistic trajectory caused by mid-flight impact with liquid precipitation Razz.

Honestly, I think a lot of it is coming down to lack of follow-through on the slow-fire stage. It's really hard to consistently force myself to re-acquire that sight picture after recoil when I know I'm not sending another round right away...I keep wanting to lower the gun immediately and look at the target. When I'm shooting timed or rapid, I have no choice but to re-acquire and send the next one.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
As the weather improves I'm looking forward to being able to shoot at the outdoor range. My shooting buddy and I don't shoot outside until the temp is 50+. The indoor range is quite nice, but nothing beats the open air.

While I've only "competed" in two challenges, I decided that I like shooting at real targets, or at least things bigger than flies. Rats would be fine. I haven't found any shooting clubs or organized shooting groups in my area, so I really appreciate this group and the people who are making it fun for me. Thank you!

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice, 92fstech!

I've long found it interesting that slow fire targets frequently score lower than timed/rapid. I think there is more to it than just smaller scoring rings.

Nice to have you with us, David.

fritz, we miss you. I know real world time demands can interfere.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I agree, Richard...there's definitely a discipline to putting up separate shots consistently outside of a continuous string of fire. And I have not mastered it, lol.

And I also wholeheartedly agree that we're glad to have you shooting with us, David, and am very much looking forward to fritz's schedule freeing up so he can join us again. Would love to see offgrid and TheFrontRange back in here as well if they can find the time, and any other member that wants to put in some "collaborative range time"...even if you can't commit to every match feel free to shoot the ones you want or have time to get involved in! Smile

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Tried again yesterday evening with the rimfire. 236 overall. I'm regressing! Frown

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Keep yer chin up, Lil Buckaroo, you'll come back. Smile

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I just went back and saw the link for the targets for “slow fire“. The weather is supposed to be fine next Friday. I will re-shoot the whole series at the outdoor range. I hope that won’t be too late to enter.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Fine by me to keep it going for another week...gives me more time to keep trying Smile.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Great! It will give me the opportunity to learn how to use my new timer. Can’t use it at the indoor range with 7 other people shooting at the same time.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I agree, Richard...there's definitely a discipline to putting up separate shots consistently outside of a continuous string of fire. And I have not mastered it, lol.

And I also wholeheartedly agree that we're glad to have you shooting with us, David, and am very much looking forward to fritz's schedule freeing up so he can join us again. Would love to see offgrid and TheFrontRange back in here as well if they can find the time, and any other member that wants to put in some "collaborative range time"...even if you can't commit to every match feel free to shoot the ones you want or have time to get involved in! Smile

Hey, many thanks - I’ve GOT to get back to this!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBGarlikov:
Great! It will give me the opportunity to learn how to use my new timer. Can’t use it at the indoor range with 7 other people shooting at the same time.

Yeah, timers can be a pain in crowded environments. That said, mine has been one of the most worthwhile shooting accessory investments that I've made...I use it all the time. My PocketPro lets me set a random start delay and a "par time" second beep, which I've been using for this bullseye stuff, where the actual times aren't quite as important as staying under the allowed time.

quote:
Hey, many thanks - I’ve GOT to get back to this!

Always happy to have you!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Went to the range with intent of zeroing re installed red dot on S&W Victory to try the match. Due to misunderstanding about hours open on Easter Sunday, I didn't have enough time.

At least got zero'd at 50 feet and got ten rounds on slowfire target using left eye and right hand. This seems maybe good. a '68' with lots of vertical stringing.

Am looking forward to working with left eye when I get more range time.

Yes, indoor range neighbors shooting confuses my shot timer, so I use Dry Fire Par Time Tracker app on phone with cord plugged into Howard Leight electronic ear muffs, for start beep and par time ended beep.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
OK, so this is me cheating, so it's not an official score, but I wanted to see how well I could really do if I shot it repeatedly and took the best targets for each stage. I went though a whole 325ct bulk pack of Automatch and a huge stack of paper, and this is the best I could come up with:

78 + 89 + 91 = 258.

Not much better than some of my straight-through runs that I posted before. Slow Fire was killing me...Rapid wasn't so hot either. It seems like some days you're just on, and others you're not. Could have been the lighting (shooting into the setting sun), or the heat, or just that I kinda suck Big Grin.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Those don't suck; that's nice shooting.