SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread)
Page 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread) Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
Just my reading, but it seems few of the testing details were included in the publc RFP.

Correct. An RFP is not a test plan. An RFP states the specifications and requirements the government is looking for, and the test plan will describe how those things are proven (or disproven) in great detail. I doubt we'll ever see the actual test plan or the final test report.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I doubt we'll ever see the actual test plan or the final test report.

Agreed, and its a pity.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
Ouch to Sig for sure on the HPD response.
This is the culmination of Sigs response thus far IMO.
Bruce posted to a Sig FB group

Ok, I can understand all of that. To his post I asked if Bruce still believed the original video of the drop test fail (below) was faked.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Tfe9silCIm8

I also stated that I'd seen him in a video hitting the slide of a 320 when testing the safety of his designs, and wheather or not he had ever struck the striker plate of a 320 as has been shown to also promote failures. Genuinely wanting to know the answer to both.
The post was locked to any further comments by a moderator and my comments removed.

I understand that he has a vested interest in the pistol, but so do I. After the first video came out I dismissed it solely due to his stating the gun was 100% drop safe.

To now state that there are real problems but great people writing huge checks to fix them for you doesn't really dismiss the blatant lies by Sig, knowing about the issue and doing nothing until the flood gates were opened.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
Did anyone see this?

SIG P320 Page

In the safety area towards the bottom, the have the following:

Tabbed Trigger Safety
Magazine Disconnect Safety

I'm not sure I want either of those on my P320.

On the plus side, they also fixed the out-of-battery firing problem, stating this at the same place:

"Disconnect Safety: Prevents the pistol from firing out of battery."

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:
To his post I asked if Bruce still believed the original video of the drop test fail (below) was faked.

Do you believe the linked video is real or faked?

The forces and parts involved in a muzzle-down drop fire are typically substantially different from the forces and parts involved in a muzzle-up drop fire.

If you believe the linked video is real, that would probably mean that two different drop-fail modes exist simultaneously in the P320 ... and one has still not been clearly identified.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
quote:
To his post I asked if Bruce still believed the original video of the drop test fail (below) was faked.

Do you believe the linked video is real or faked?

The forces and parts involved in a muzzle-down drop fire are typically substantially different from the forces and parts involved in a muzzle-up drop fire.

If you believe the linked video is real, that would probably mean that two different drop-fail modes exist simultaneously in the P320 ... and one has still not been clearly identified.

I'm not sure if it is real or faked, originally I believed it to be faked, but I'm not making any assumptions on this subject any longer. Which is why I asked Bruce. But apparently my questions were seen as disrespectful or something.

-wolff

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
doesn't really dismiss the blatant lies by Sig, knowing about he issue and doing nothing until the flood gates were opened.

Wolff, this is not directed at you specifically, but at the plethora of posts which have comments directed at Sig that somehow acted to deceive on purpose.

What lies, specifically, we keep seeing comments with an undertone that Sig was involved in some nefarious activities to deceive both the commercial and individual market.

I mean other than the fact that a flaw was found, as the majority learned this week.

After several years of zero problems in the real world use of the P320, someone discovered that if you drop it a certain way and it hits specifically it will fire.

Yes we all know there is a problem, so like adults, lets see how it's handled because otherwise we're not one bit better than those we admonish for stopping free speech at universities or squashing gun rights in specific states by furthering arguments that have no basis in fact by demonizing one of our own, a firearms manufacturer, hell from the fire and brimstone you'd think Sig just sent money to Upchucky Schumer to back a handgun law restricting the whole USA to NY laws.

What hard solid proof out side of the fact there is a known flaw, proof other than 1) a lawsuit, which could be from the same issue, or 2) the video, has anyone seen that substantiates all the bashing of employee ability, engineer prowess, machinists, assembly operators and testing procedures.

What proof can anyone offer that at any time Sig deviated from historically used safety tests, found a problem, couldn't solve it and sold the gun anyway.

Seriously it appears that if some folks live for a conspiracy, let the facts play out, let the story come out let Sig offer the solution, then if it's weak, bitch scream and moan

BTW Ruger just issued a safety recall today on a rifle, OMG they must have known when they built it, must have hidden it, just wanted to see if customers got hurt, if not then don't address it, someone get a rope, find a tree we have more capitalists to Hang...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
doesn't really dismiss the blatant lies by Sig, knowing about he issue and doing nothing until the flood gates were opened.

Wolff, this is not directed at you specifically, but at the plethora of posts which have comments directed at Sig that somehow acted to deceive on purpose.

What lies, specifically, we keep seeing comments with an undertone that Sig was involved in some nefarious activities to deceive both the commercial and individual market.

I mean other than the fact that a flaw was found, as the majority learned this week.

After several years of zero problems in the real world use of the P320, someone discovered that if you drop it a certain way and it hits specifically it will fire.

Yes we all know there is a problem, so like adults, lets see how it's handled because otherwise we're not one bit better than those we admonish for stopping free speech at universities or squashing gun rights in specific states by furthering arguments that have no basis in fact by demonizing one of our own, a firearms manufacturer, hell from the fire and brimstone you'd think Sig just sent money to Upchucky Schumer to back a handgun law restricting the whole USA to NY laws.

What hard solid proof out side of the fact there is a known flaw, proof other than 1) a lawsuit, which could be from the same issue, or 2) the video, has anyone seen that substantiates all the bashing of employee ability, engineer prowess, machinists, assembly operators and testing procedures.

What proof can anyone offer that at any time Sig deviated from historically used safety tests, found a problem, couldn't solve it and sold the gun anyway.

Seriously it appears that if some folks live for a conspiracy, let the facts play out, let the story come out let Sig offer the solution, then if it's weak, bitch scream and moan

BTW Ruger just issued a safety recall today on a rifle, OMG they must have known when they built it, must have hidden it, just wanted to see if customers got hurt, if not then don't address it, someone get a rope, find a tree we have more capitalists to Hang...

So what you're saying is "what proof do we have besides all of the proof and lets not be like colleges that restrict the first amendment so stop saying what I dont like." Oh and something about Chuck Shumer, NY and gun laws, because that is relevant.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
I'm not a conspiracy theorist. The lies I speak of are specifically, I called Sig after the Omaha video came out to ask of the legitimacy of them and was told the 320 was 100 percent drop safe. Now, I could understand that before then it was known to the public to be such, and even Sig's press release after the Dallas PD incident which stated "There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date." However, during the "press conference" announcing the "upgrade" Sig reps claimed to have know of 3 drop fires in the LE community, and another in the civilian market, that they hadn't verified. That's to me is a lie.
If sig wants to claim that their claim is truthful due to the semantics of the reports being from the LE community and so their claim that there are 0 incidents in the civilian market, then instead of being liars, they are now just assholes.

-wolff

Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
Further, the question had been posted literally a thousand times on FB, to which Bruce emphatically claimed the pistol was 100% drop safe. That he had himself bounced it off everything known to man. It was guaranteed by him to be so, who as far as I know is a designer of the 320. I can completely understand just plain being wrong. It happens to all of us. And there are things that just get past us, or things we couldn't foresee at all. But when the scrutiny is as much as it has been in the last few months and both Sig and the preeminent Sig gunsmith and designer of the P320 tell you it's all BS and then it's proven to be the opposite, and then the smith disappears for days, it make a guy wonder.

It could all very well be coincidental and that's fine, but when the smith resurfaces people are going to have questions. To then delete the questions and offer nothing to the inquirers, well, you get it.

-wolff

posted Hide Post
quote:
So what you're saying is "what proof do we have besides all of the proof and lets not be like colleges that restrict the first amendment so stop saying what I dont like." Oh and something about Chuck Shumer, NY and gun laws, because that is relevant.

Exactly.

Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Exactly.

And this too.

-wolff

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Was Ruger dragged kicking and screaming via YouTube in order to realize that the SAFEST RIFLE EVER wasn't as safe?

Or did they find it out themselves and just issue the <evil word> recall?

Here is what they are doing BTW. It might make some good comparison material next week.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/rprSafety/

posted Hide Post
quote:
"There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date." However, during the "press conference" announcing the "upgrade" Sig reps claimed to have know of 3 drop fires in the LE community, and another in the civilian market, that they hadn't verified.

Do you have a link to the press conference transcript? I have seen this info on the other forum, but it differs from yours.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC Fan:
Do you have a link to the press conference transcript? I have seen this info on the other forum, but it differs from yours.

I couldn't find anything on the SIG website (nor any press releases, but this pops up everywhere about their 08/04/17 release.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...safety-p-320-pistol/

" Newington, NH (August 4, 2017) – In response to social media rumors questioning the safety of the P320 pistol, a variant of which was selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), SIG SAUER, Inc. has full confidence in the reliability, durability and safety of its striker-fired handgun platform. There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date.

The P320 meets and exceeds all U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.

All SIG SAUER pistols incorporate effective mechanical safeties to ensure they only fire when the trigger is pressed. However, like any mechanical device, exposure to acute conditions (e.g. shock, vibration, heavy or repeated drops) may have a negative effect on these safety mechanisms and cause them to not work as designed. This language is common to owner’s manuals of major handgun manufacturers.

As a result, individual attempts to perform drop tests outside of professionally controlled environments should not be attempted.

“SIG SAUER is committed to producing only the finest products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of SIG SAUER. “Safety and reliability have been and always will be paramount to the SIG SAUER brand.”

They have the same one here too.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/...fety-of-p320-pistol/

posted Hide Post
This has a copy of Cohen's press release statement:

Posted a second after the above.

Cohen's statement initially appeared in the press release segment at SIGs main website, but has how been removed, for reasons that I think are obvious.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Yes, all they have is the 08/08/17 release now.

But the internet remembers. From their 8/8/17 press day -

"Taylor laid it out, “There is a vulnerability with the P320 at the -30deg drop.” They plan to incorporate the trigger enhancements for the M17 into the P320. They’d been working on them, but implementation wasn’t imminent. Based on what they’ve found, that has been accelerated. Details on their voluntary upgrade program will follow soon.

"I want to put this perspective. Since it’s introduction in 2014, they’ve sold around 500,000 P320s. There are three recorded cases of unintended discharges in LE channels . There is one additional commercial incident which I am familiar with but was not formally reported to SIG. That’s four known incidents from 500,000 weapons, many of which are used on a daily basis. Additionally, those incidents have all been within the last year." - Tom Taylor, Executive Vice President of Commercial Sales for SIG SAUER

http://soldiersystems.net/2017...untary-p320-upgrade/

So on 8/4/17 it's "0 discharges in commercial service" then on 8/8/17 its 4, using the "LE" vs commercial working. I think that is what gets to some of us.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

So on 8/4/17 it's "0 discharges in commercial service" then on 8/8/17 its 4, using the "LE" vs commercial working. I think that is what gets to some of us.

Yes, more details would great. On the other forum, someone from SIG was quoted as saying something to the effect of '4 incidents, 0 drops'.

We also don't have much info on the latest 'incident'. It sounds like the whole holster was dropped. Sounds like a full retention holster though.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC Fan:
quote:
"There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date." However, during the "press conference" announcing the "upgrade" Sig reps claimed to have know of 3 drop fires in the LE community, and another in the civilian market, that they hadn't verified.

Took longer than anticipated to find this one.

http://soldiersystems.net/category/weapons/

-wolff

Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post

-wolff