SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
Not quite right
Picture of P220forever
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10026 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being a loud-mouth troublemaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FriedRice:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Trigger crisp? Glock???????

Not compared to a 1911. Clearly. I'd put most 1911s in a higher dining class because of the trigger alone.

Compared to every Sig I own. Sigs have other good qualities but trigger reset is not one of them IMO.

A Glock and a Big Mac are not at all equivalent.

Are Glocks not the most popular semi-auto handgun in the Country?

Can't you find them in any gunshop?

Isn't McDonalds the most popular burger joint in the Country?

Can't you find one almost everywhere?

Isn't there a consistency in the products of both?

Certainly a gun like the Sig 210 is the "Haute Cuisine" of the handgun world, so where would that put a common available everywhere pistol?

FWIW I would tend to say the HiPoint pistols are the 7-11 burritos of the pistol world.

Posts: 23226 | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
The 1911 is equivalent to the the American hamburger or steak. Everyone and anyone can make it and everyone makes slightly different version of it. No one has to pay any licensing fees for it nor fear of being sued for stealing intellectual property. From McDonalds to the nicest sit down restaurants that call their french fries, pomme frites. From a steak at your local Denny's to Mastro's/Mortons/Ruth Chris in Beverly Hills.

A Glock is something no one else can make. In that sense its like Apple's iPhone. Its the most common and most popular smart phone. Just like Glock is the most popular polymer sevice pistol. No can make an iPhone just like no one can make a Glock. But they make polymer pistols similar to Glock just like they try to make smart phones similar to the iPhone without getting sued. Both Apple and Glock are hated and resented for being pioneers in their market, their dominance in the market, and their fanbois.

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've shots SIGs in close time proximity to shooting Glocks. It wasn't the Glock trigger I ended up enamoured with.

Also, we may have a bit of a terminology issue here. When I think about the crispness of a trigger, I'm thinking how it breaks, not how (or where) it resets.) The SIGs I've shot always had a sweet, clean break. Not so much Glocks.

Of course, Glocks don't have the heavy, long DA first shot that SIGs do.

Mind you, there are things I love about Glock. )They do the best job of designing the most gun into the smallest, lightest package.) But the trigger isn't one of them.

quote:
quote:

Not compared to a 1911. Clearly. I'd put most 1911s in a higher dining class because of the trigger alone.

Compared to every Sig I own. Sigs have other good qualities but trigger reset is not one of them IMO.

A Glock and a Big Mac are not at all equivalent.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aces an Eights
Picture of SC_Mike
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll post in here now.

Picked up a G17 gen 3 NIB, unfired at a LGS for $455.00 out the door. Shoots great right out of the box, 200 rounds not one stumble.

______________________________V_____________________________

Pugnabo liber maneat.

Posts: 11378 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Well, seeing as we're on SIGForum, SIGs are probably the best point of comparison.

I've never shot an XD

quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
quote:

Compared to my 1911s?
No...

Compared to the 4 XD pistols I owned (and sold)?
Yes..

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Actually, to your point, I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to make a Glock clone, they probaby could. If seen aftermarket barrels and frames, so I can't think a whole gun would be off limits. And with the rampent copying of the M1911 and M16/AR15 designs, there's probably no legal problem with doing it. You cold also legitimately call the S&W M&P line a Glock clone.

But, yes, Glock was a pioneer, and very much hit the target they were aiming at.

quote:
Originally posted by Ian111:
The 1911 is equivalent to the the American hamburger or steak. Everyone and anyone can make it and everyone makes slightly different version of it. No one has to pay any licensing fees for it nor fear of being sued for stealing intellectual property. From McDonalds to the nicest sit down restaurants that call their french fries, pomme frites. From a steak at your local Denny's to Mastro's/Mortons/Ruth Chris in Beverly Hills.

A Glock is something no one else can make. In that sense its like Apple's iPhone. Its the most common and most popular smart phone. Just like Glock is the most popular polymer sevice pistol. No can make an iPhone just like no one can make a Glock. But they make polymer pistols similar to Glock just like they try to make smart phones similar to the iPhone without getting sued. Both Apple and Glock are hated and resented for being pioneers in their market, their dominance in the market, and their fanbois.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Really, you carry a 17? That's a fairly big honkin' gun. I'm surprised you don't carry a 19 or 26. I think they'd carry more easily.

quote:
BBMW, okay, I get you now. I'm speaking of trigger reset. My Sigs' trigger reset is a bit mushy. There are many aspects of my Sigs I enjoy. That is not one of them. It is an aspect of my G17 that I enjoy. It also shaves a fraction of a second off my time when I am shooting for speed.

I like Ian11's comparison better than the food comparison.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
countrygun, do me a favor and find some other thread in which to dribble that crap.

You'd be doing yourself a favor as well, quite frankly.

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up a G17 to go with my G19 and G27. I love my sig and HK but hard to go wrong with a Glock especially in 9mm.

Posts: 220 | Registered: September 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, I can't conceal a G17.

I just ordered a waist pouch from the NRA Store for times like bicycling or fishing. I saw people with these things all over the Mall of America...Probably without guns in them though...Bet it would hold a G17...

http://www.nrastore.com/nrasto...ail.aspx?c=2817&p=SA 20009-10

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More Human
Than Human
Picture of Ian111
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, to your point, I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to make a Glock clone, they probaby could. If seen aftermarket barrels and frames, so I can't think a whole gun would be off limits. And with the rampent copying of the M1911 and M16/AR15 designs, there's probably no legal problem with doing it. You cold also legitimately call the S&W M&P line a Glock clone.

But, yes, Glock was a pioneer, and very much hit the target they were aiming at.

The AR, M1911, and CZ is basically "public domain". I'm not an intellectual property of patent lawyer nor am I lawyer of any kind but basically pretty much all patents and intellectual property expires after a certain time. The AR, M1911, and CZ75 designs are open for anyone to make. Everyone from Les Baer, a factory in China or Turkey, or Bubba living down the street can make them without fear of being sued.

The Glock pistol is another story. There's enough unique aspects to Glock's design which allowed them to have an International Patent. No one. Not even China, Turkey, or Brazil(as of yet) has attempted to make true Glock clone.

Springfield and S&W probably had their lawyers look over the XD and M&P designs respectively to make sure there was just enough of a difference so they won't get dragged into court. Similar to the way S&W was sued by Glock over the Sigma.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26W_Sigma
quote:
The Sigma series pistols are so similar to the competing Glock pistols that Glock sued Smith & Wesson for patent infringement. The case was settled out of court in 1997, with S&W agreeing to make alterations to the Sigma design and pay an undisclosed amount to Glock.[1]

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”― Christopher Hitchens

Posts: 9811 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
I have to decide between selling my only glock or my only 1911, which is my competition gun. This is too much of a life decision. Of course, if I sell the glock I can always "buy a Glock" later...

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heavyd:
Of course, if I sell the glock I can always "buy a Glock" later...
That you can. There are only like eleventy billion Glocks out there.

Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
Might be a bit hard to find a new OD.

SIGnature: Jere

Posts: 1369 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colo. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm NOT buying a plastic Glock! Not even a gift. Metal is for guns.

Posts: 102 | Registered: July 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Even if that"s the case, patents generally last 17 years. The basic Block design has been around longer than that.

Edit: Just noticed the Freudian slip / typo Smile

quote:
Originally posted by Ian111:
quote:

The AR, M1911, and CZ is basically "public domain". I'm not an intellectual property of patent lawyer nor am I lawyer of any kind but basically pretty much all patents and intellectual property expires after a certain time. The AR, M1911, and CZ75 designs are open for anyone to make. Everyone from Les Baer, a factory in China or Turkey, or Bubba living down the street can make them without fear of being sued.

The Glock pistol is another story. There's enough unique aspects to Glock's design which allowed them to have an International Patent. No one. Not even China, Turkey, or Brazil(as of yet) has attempted to make true Glock clone.

Springfield and S&W probably had their lawyers look over the XD and M&P designs respectively to make sure there was just enough of a difference so they won't get dragged into court. Similar to the way S&W was sued by Glock over the Sigma.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26W_Sigma
quote:
The Sigma series pistols are so similar to the competing Glock pistols that Glock sued Smith & Wesson for patent infringement. The case was settled out of court in 1997, with S&W agreeing to make alterations to the Sigma design and pay an undisclosed amount to Glock.[1]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Congratulations Keanu Reeves your number isn't fake any more.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Congratulations Keanu Reeves your number isn't fake any more.

$Texas

You wagered "Texas" with a dollar sign in front of it.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signv:
I'm NOT buying a plastic Glock! Not even a gift. Metal is for guns.
Another one in the parking lot, I see. I hope you have a lawn chair and a stocked cooler, maybe in iPod to keep you company.

An umbrella might be a good idea, you know, for those really hot days.