SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Optics vs Iron Sights on Defensive Pistols
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics vs Iron Sights on Defensive Pistols Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yep, this is surely a fad that is just the cool guy's trying to cool guy.

https://fnamerica.com/press-re...-as-new-duty-pistol/

Interestingly, they chose a pistol that Safariland doesn't make a MRDS holster for....yet.

It's here to stay in LE.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Only mark that I've not owned is FN, maybe I should get one, as long as they come in black..

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
Did some shooting from concealed draws at our range day today at work, and I was able to give my P365 milled for RMRcc setup more of a workout. A few observations:

2) My Vedder IWB holster likes to slip off my Magpul El Buro gun belt, but seems to stay put on my 15yr old leather belt. Weird. Not fun when you draw from concealment and your holster is still on your pistol. But that's why we have training days.

dehughes,

Do you run your Vedder with the claw attachment?

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Only mark that I've not owned is FN, maybe I should get one, as long as they come in black..

We have one at OST. It's recoil impulse is softer than Brand G.

When I bought it, FNH offered like 6 free magazines with it. They never delivered.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Yep, this is surely a fad that is just the cool guy's trying to cool guy.

https://fnamerica.com/press-re...-as-new-duty-pistol/

Interestingly, they chose a pistol that Safariland doesn't make a MRDS holster for....yet.

It's here to stay in LE.

They do in the 6XXXRDS models. Fit code 2702 for 4" and 2712 for 4.3" and 4.5".

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'll be damned. Learned something new.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

Next time I'll try to remember to make the blind part bold and increase the font size.

Good call.

Bigger font size will help with the blindness.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

POC's are so often a target of discrimination.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:
Did some shooting from concealed draws at our range day today at work, and I was able to give my P365 milled for RMRcc setup more of a workout. A few observations:

2) My Vedder IWB holster likes to slip off my Magpul El Buro gun belt, but seems to stay put on my 15yr old leather belt. Weird. Not fun when you draw from concealment and your holster is still on your pistol. But that's why we have training days.

dehughes,

Do you run your Vedder with the claw attachment?

Negative. I didn’t order this holster with the claw attachment because at the time it seemed strange to me, but now that I've had a few IWB holsters I see the value of it.

The Magpul belt material and thickness is likely what is causing the Vedder holster to slip off of it. I have other belts I could try, but I have not gotten around to it yet as the Magpul belt has been my default for those non-standard range days.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I'll be damned. Learned something new.

To be fair, I have no idea when they added them. The latest will-fit expands 2712 to include the "mid-size tactical" guns with the 4.3" barrel, but the code was already in the catalog for the 4.5" (as was 2702 for the 4"). I can't say I've ever paid that much attention to the FN section.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
RDS isnt the future anymore. It is the present. That said, i think the better trained you are, the less it matters. A good bright fiber front with clean rear sights is just as fast at “combat accuracy”. I have a qual with one stage that requires the shooter make 2 rounds to the A box from 25m in 2s> From the holster for full performance, and we had to do it before the dot was a thing, so a clean draw is still king.

I dont see a tangible improvement in my times until the target size starts getting small, and the precision the dot gives is needed. Like, 2” circles type deal. I do run the 777 drill faster and more consistently with a dot also.

I do like them for compromised angle shooting around vehicles and barriers.

Its easier out to/past 200m with a dot for sure.

Theyre a good tool, but arent really necessary for 90%+ of ccw shootings. Imo, if the pistol you like and shoot well offers a dot option you can afford, get it. If not, just get good sights and carry on with life. Theyre great, but plenty of fights have been won without them.

Posts: 99 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voted yes.

Been shooting a RDS on my pistols for the last few years. Have several thousand rounds on both RMR's and SRO's. I'm confident in their reliability to have a one on my carry pistol. I did take a little bit of tweaking to my draw stroke/presentation as well letting go of waiting for the dot to settle. The letting go of waiting for the dot to settle was a big deal for faster time. The tweaking of my draw consisted of changing the clocking on my grip slightly and getting rid of almost all of the "punch out". The dot showing me I needed to change my draw a little is not a negative!! Resulted in faster times with irons. I'm a performance tracker, it's my nature as a very competitive person. Very high percentage of shots taken from my pistols are timed. I'm faster and more accurate with the dot at any distance.

My suggestion for what its worth. If considering a dot for your CCW, buy an identical pistol to what you're carrying now. Have the slide milled if not a MOS/optic ready, add a RMR, put in some time and see if it's right for you. If not, sell it.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I realize no one suppresses their defensive pistols, but I just shot the postal (fun) match with a suppressed FNX-45 Tactical and the Trijicon SRO.

The expected ( from memory) wet, odiferous, nasty blow-back to the face experience didn't fail to satisfy my masochistic quota , and I had to stop and clean the SRO lens every 5 to ten shots.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a training opportunity. Pressing on with a dirty lens teaches something about an occluded lens technique and about shooter using RDS correctly or not.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
That was a training opportunity. Pressing on with a dirty lens teaches something about an occluded lens technique and about shooter using RDS correctly or not.

Not really, it was a slow fire postal (for fun) match on a square range at fixed distance.

Shooter and targets were stationary, not in motion.

The Bindon Aiming Concept is useful for many but doesn't work for everyone, nor in every situation...

try it with vision in one eye totally occluded or out-of-action.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Reanimating this thread for a question.

A lot of people tend to shoot striker guns low and left. There may be grip issues that cause this, but it can be consistent enough that just dialing the adjustment into the sights makes sense.

For people who run optics on their guns, do you use the optics to accomplish this? Do you see where your group goes, and just move the dot so the group hits the bull's eye? Or if you have co-witnessed irons, do you just put the dot where the irons are, and try to work your grip/trigger technique to get the shots to the bull's eye?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

Low and left is jerking the trigger…learning to break the trigger is the right way to fix that….NOT adjusting the sights/red dot to the expected grouping.

I once heard a coach tell a shooter to “just aim at the right shoulder” so that the shooters rounds would fall into the center of the person shaped target…..I invited the coach to sit down and I had to train the shooter how to shoot properly…

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I shoot matches with an SRO that has irons visible low in the window. I never look at the iron sights while shooting and I can't imagine a reason to do so unless the dot is broken. I also have an RMR, DPP and Romeo optics, all on guns with co-witness sights and never look at the iron sights. The biggest two things are to get the draw stroke correct, which I have yet to master, and not to try to settle the 'wobble' which is easier, in my experience.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Reanimating this thread for a question.

A lot of people tend to shoot striker guns low and left. There may be grip issues that cause this, but it can be consistent enough that just dialing the adjustment into the sights makes sense.

For people who run optics on their guns, do you use the optics to accomplish this? Do you see where your group goes, and just move the dot so the group hits the bull's eye? Or if you have co-witnessed irons, do you just put the dot where the irons are, and try to work your grip/trigger technique to get the shots to the bull's eye?

Sort of...

One of the biggest benefits of pistol optics in my mind is as a diagnostic tool. The dot shows you what you're doing wrong if you're willing to pay attention. Would I ever dope for bad technique? No.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Nope.

The low left hit for a right handed shooter is a pre-ignition push of the pistol downward to mitigate or control recoil.

Has nothing to do with sights. Plus people rarely can shoot a consistent preignition push for all speeds. It’s less with slow fire, more exaggerated as you speed up.

www.opspectraining.com