SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Optics vs Iron Sights on Defensive Pistols
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics vs Iron Sights on Defensive Pistols Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The caveat to that is honesty in what you are going to use it for. If you plan on routinely racking the slide on a steel table or the like, the Romeo isn’t for you.

If not, you’ll probably be just fine.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Nope.

The low left hit for a right handed shooter is a pre-ignition push of the pistol downward to mitigate or control recoil.

Has nothing to do with sights. Plus people rarely can shoot a consistent preignition push for all speeds. It’s less with slow fire, more exaggerated as you speed up.

If I hit low left, high probablity that's exactly what I'm doing.

A drill that has helped me. Load a mag, rack a round in the chamber, holster the mag and gun. Draw and shoot, slide is obvousily not going to lock back, follow up with a fast dry fire. The dry fire will show me what I'm doing.

I'm confused. There will be a live round in the chamber after you shoot, so how is a dry fire possible?

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
ssssss
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
quote:
holster the mag

I'm confused. There will be a live round in the chamber after you shoot, so how is a dry fire possible?

“Holster the mag” evidently means remove it from the gun after chambering a round.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The caveat to that is honesty in what you are going to use it for. If you plan on routinely racking the slide on a steel table or the like, the Romeo isn’t for you.

If not, you’ll probably be just fine.

I got thinking some more about this feeling that some have that the plastic Romeo Zero is too breakable.

It suddenly occurred to me to raise my shirt and take a look at what protection it has while I'm carrying it.

I find that I've got two layers of Wilderness Instructor belt, then 1 layer of pants, then 1 layer of kydex surrounding the sight itself.

On the other side I've got the leather portion of the holster, probably around 1/4" thick and then my skin.

Even if I bumped into anything it's still well protected.

Dropping it is a whole different thing though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some LE instructors, who work for agencies and departments that allow optics on handguns, are reporting that there tends to be problems, when the optics are installed by the individual officers/agents. Requiring that the optics be installed only by authorized armorers tends to drive-down the frequency of such problems. I cannot cite a single source; this is something that I have noticed, over time.

My take-away is that installation of MRDOs should be done by knowledgeable, careful, diligent folks. Not all end-line users fit this description.

Personally, I am open-minded about MRDOs on pistols, but would rather use a closed-emitter type, such as the Aimpoint ACRO. I obtained a milled G45 slide, with an ACRO P-1, which I plan to vet, on my G19x, if/when I ever resume visiting shooting ranges. Dry drills, thus far, have resulted in a positive impression.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see what sorts of complaints about the optical sights start surfacing as they become more commonly issued to law enforcement officers, and especially if they become the rule within agencies rather than just optional. I suspect that even now as they’re becoming heavily promoted by manufacturers and other advocates, most officers who seek them out voluntarily are still “gun guys” (as the expression puts it) and more likely to use and maintain them correctly. For the rest who will view them as just another nuisance or mystery to deal with, I predict it will be another matter.

I am curious, though, what problems people would have with installing the sights. Stripping screws is one obvious possibility, but what else?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am curious, though, what problems people would have with installing the sights. Stripping screws is one obvious possibility, but what else?

Inadequate torque could be a problem, too...not just for sights coming loose, but also for reliable battery contact on sights like the RMR that have the battery positioned under the sight and held in place by the fit between the optic and the top of the slide. Granted, mine is a Type 1, which had issues anyway, but even with the battleworks plate under it, I had to torque it down harder than expected to ensure consistent positive contact with the battery to prevent flickering/shutting off.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few units not torked down properly, sail off the gun during firing. Also saw one that wasn't using the proper plate and wound up mounted at an angle on the slide.

Armorer installation sounds like a good idea! Smile

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
ssssss
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
quote:
holster the mag

“Holster the mag” evidently means remove it from the gun after chambering a round.

That's correct, remove mag from gun after chambering a round, holster mag.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
I've seen a few units not torked down properly, sail off the gun during firing. Also saw one that wasn't using the proper plate and wound up mounted at an angle on the slide.

Armorer installation sounds like a good idea! Smile

Yep. The only way to go.

But, you watch. The naysayers will froth at the mouth to say “Look, I told you momma said that was the debil”. (As they are completely ignoring iron sight falling off guns in the past)

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who uses an optic on his FN 9mm. I shot several magazines out of it. I did not hate it, but I saw no distinct advantage over iron sights. He loves it and carries it concealed.

"What ever gets you through the night"

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have logged so many hours shooting bullseye with an optic that I would be afraid to have one on a defensive pistol. I'd be controlling my breathing and waiting for the buzzer while the bad guy gunned me down. Big Grin

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
I'm sure even the rifle-sized optics would have more issues if mounted on reciprocating picatinny rails.

Ayup.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
I have logged so many hours shooting bullseye with an optic that I would be afraid to have one on a defensive pistol. I'd be controlling my breathing and waiting for the buzzer while the bad guy gunned me down. Big Grin

Of all the what if’s, you win. Smile

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Ironically, I finally went the optics route on a pistol and when sighting it in, it was the irons that failed! P365, front sight drifted all the way to the left.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The main advantage seems to be the ability to focus on the target, and still have the sight in sharp focus also, and not have to work with three focal planes. Do you not find this useful?

quote:
Originally posted by specter77:
I have a friend who uses an optic on his FN 9mm. I shot several magazines out of it. I did not hate it, but I saw no distinct advantage over iron sights. He loves it and carries it concealed.

"What ever gets you through the night"

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
I'm sure even the rifle-sized optics would have more issues if mounted on reciprocating picatinny rails.

Ayup.

I'm actually kind of intrigued by what this very issue is going to do to the future of handgun design. We can already kind of see this in the Laugo Alien, where they designed the top strap of the gun to be non-reciprocating, and the slide rides below and around it. I can see how this would help with longevity of the optics, and even more importantly, help keep the dot in view under recoil since it's not sliding back and forth on top of a reciprocating slide after every shot.

I know the Alien is kind of a "concept" gun and not really practical as a mainstream option (I know I certainly can't afford one!)...but to date optics designers have been working to make thier optics fit existing handgun designs. I wonder if we're not going to start seeing a reversal of that in the not-to-distant future...that the proliferation of dots is going to start driving a ground up re-design by some of the more mainstream handgun manufacturers in order to better leverage the benefits of the optics.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ACP1 is close to my feelings about close SD shooting. I've been there. ( Retired cop) SD situations are at garlic breath distance and within two seconds. One second is closer than the two one.
So, most SD situations are going to be within ten feet.
Now__ have your buddy stand ten feet from you and RUSH YOU!
So, how to carry? Conceal yes but__ can you save your life within two seconds. Practicing one second is best.
I prefer a cross draw under a covering garment...that won't get in the way.
Poli Viejo ( Spanish for Old Cop ) At least just across the border.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I got nothing.......

www.opspectraining.com

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
In order to shoot well with a pistol optic, I had to train myself to break the trigger on what looks like an imperfect sight picture from a BE point of view. Once I accepted a larger target zone my action pistol type shooting actually got better.

quote:

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post