SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Optics vs Iron Sights on Defensive Pistols
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics vs Iron Sights on Defensive Pistols Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

A lot of people tend to shoot striker guns low and left. There may be grip issues that cause this, but it can be consistent enough that just dialing the adjustment into the sights makes sense.

For people who run optics on their guns, do you use the optics to accomplish this? Do you see where your group goes, and just move the dot so the group hits the bull's eye? Or if you have co-witnessed irons, do you just put the dot where the irons are, and try to work your grip/trigger technique to get the shots to the bull's eye?

I was adjusting my sights when I couldn't shoot. Now my backup irons are fully centered on every striker gun I own.
I zero my irons independently of the dot and before the dot is mounted. I zero my dot independently of irons. I have four dot guns that have iron backup sights. On all four the dot ends up sitting over the right side of the front sight blade. I am OK with that.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is basically what I thought.

I think the only other option is using something like a laser boresight to sight in the dot, and try to get your shooting technique to get POI to match POA.

quote:
Originally posted by YVK:
quote:

A lot of people tend to shoot striker guns low and left. There may be grip issues that cause this, but it can be consistent enough that just dialing the adjustment into the sights makes sense.

For people who run optics on their guns, do you use the optics to accomplish this? Do you see where your group goes, and just move the dot so the group hits the bull's eye? Or if you have co-witnessed irons, do you just put the dot where the irons are, and try to work your grip/trigger technique to get the shots to the bull's eye?

I was adjusting my sights when I couldn't shoot. Now my backup irons are fully centered on every striker gun I own.
I zero my irons independently of the dot and before the dot is mounted. I zero my dot independently of irons. I have four dot guns that have iron backup sights. On all four the dot ends up sitting over the right side of the front sight blade. I am OK with that.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A couple of decades ago before my agency had anyone designated as the firearms instructor, one of the deputies approached me about a problem he was having with his issued P220. He knew I was a “gun guy” and thought maybe I could determine what was wrong with the gun.

We went to the range and at 7 yards he was shooting a pattern (no, not a “group”) a foot or so below the point of aim. I took the gun from him and set up a target at 15 yards. Despite not being as good a shot as I am now, I proceeded to punch a 2-inch group exactly where I was aiming.
We went from there.

Shortly thereafter the sheriff asked me to take over the firearms training, and one of the things I’ve demonstrated many times since is that, no, it’s not the gun that’s responsible for your hitting a foot low with a “group” the size of a pie plate. At 5 yards with iron sights I can usually put five shots into a single hole very close to the point of aim, and that usually has a profound effect on the student’s state of mind about the instruction he is about to receive.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That sounds right. But it's not really the situation I'm talking about.

In one case, I was shooting a gun I hadn't shot before. At 7 yards or so, I was getting one ragged hole, but about 2 inches low and left. Since I was grouping well, I thought it might be more the sights than my shooting.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A couple of decades ago before my agency had anyone designated as the firearms instructor, one of the deputies approached me about a problem he was having with his issued P220. He knew I was a “gun guy” and thought maybe I could determine what was wrong with the gun.

We went to the range and at 7 yards he was shooting a pattern (no, not a “group”) a foot or so below the point of aim. I took the gun from him and set up a target at 15 yards. Despite not being as good a shot as I am now, I proceeded to punch a 2-inch group exactly where I was aiming.
We went from there.

Shortly thereafter the sheriff asked me to take over the firearms training, and one of the things I’ve demonstrated many times since is that, no, it’s not the gun that’s responsible for your hitting a foot low with a “group” the size of a pie plate. At 5 yards with iron sights I can usually put five shots into a single hole very close to the point of aim, and that usually has a profound effect on the student’s state of mind about the instruction he is about to receive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BBMW,

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it might be more the sights than my shooting.

The sights can be at fault, especially when it’s a decently-tight group not very far from the point of aim. Based my experiences, though, the “Glock problem” or anything similar with other guns doesn’t produce small groups 2 inches low and left. What I’ve seen are 6 inch clusters a foot low and left, and that’s what I was thinking of. When I see something like that I’ll fire a group with the trainee’s gun to demonstrate it’s not a sight problem and then work on what requires fixing.

But even if it’s a tight group 2 inches low and left, I believe it’s a mistake to adjust the sights until they have been proved to be the cause. Shooting from a rest and/or having someone else shoot the gun are good first steps.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it wasn't Jerry Jones's grip pressure issue that's creating a reliably repeatable POA/POI issue. It would also be interesting to a laser boresight cartridge in the gun to see if it had a built in POA/POI issue.

Whatever the case may bye, I think group size tells the tale. If big sloppy group = bad shooting. Small, tight group off center sounds more like the aforementioned POA/POI issue.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
I thought it might be more the sights than my shooting.

The sights can be at fault, especially when it’s a decently-tight group not very far from the point of aim. Based my experiences, though, the “Glock problem” or anything similar with other guns doesn’t produce small groups 2 inches low and left. What I’ve seen are 6 inch clusters a foot low and left, and that’s what I was thinking of. When I see something like that I’ll fire a group with the trainee’s gun to demonstrate it’s not a sight problem and then work on what requires fixing.

But even if it’s a tight group 2 inches low and left, I believe it’s a mistake to adjust the sights until they have been proved to be the cause. Shooting from a rest and/or having someone else shoot the gun are good first steps.

posted Hide Post
I think handgun optics are the future in sights but not the fragile, bulbous costly ones we now have. 2 people I know have screwed up their red dots by hitting something. It's just not worth it, for the price these things are now

I now have a Sig p365 SAS. For the people that don't know what this is, the SAS is a sight that is built into the slide and does not protrude at all. Now there has been some controversy surrounding this method and I didn't purchase one when they first came out. Since having this set up I can say I love it and wouldn't be without it. Just stick it in into a pocket and you're good to go. I've practiced with it and find it accurate and the porting does help some. If they made a p320 in SAS I'd jump on it.

All this to suggest this method is good and if something close to this method incorporating a red dot would be fantastic, IMHO

Posts: 113 | Registered: December 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjc:
2 people I know have screwed up their red dots by hitting something. It's just not worth it, for the price these things are now

Do you happen to know what kind of red dot they had?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think handgun optics are the future in sights but not the fragile, bulbous costly ones we now have. 2 people I know have screwed up their red dots by hitting something. It's just not worth it, for the price these things are now

Have you seen the Sig Romeo Zero on a Sig P365? I carry one and it's a long way from being fragile or bulbous.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Really it does seem pretty fragile and plasticy (plastic body and lens IIRC.) I'd trust the Holosun 4/507K models more with their aluminum bodies.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Have you seen the Sig Romeo Zero on a Sig P365? I carry one and it's a long way from being fragile or bulbous.

Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
I chose the P365 for its small size, not interested in adding stuff to it that will make it bigger.

Also don’t like electronics that can fail or batteries that can die at the wrong time on a defensive weapon.

Iron sights for me.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really it does seem pretty fragile and plasticy (plastic body and lens IIRC.) I'd trust the Holosun 4/507K models more with their aluminum bodies.

quote:
quote:

Kind of reminds me of what a lot of people said about the Glock 17 when it first came out.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmfnla:
I chose the P365 for its small size, not interested in adding stuff to it that will make it bigger.

Also don’t like electronics that can fail or batteries that can die at the wrong time on a defensive weapon.

Iron sights for me.

Doesn’t the gun still have iron sights? Can’t you just use them in the case of an unlikely failure of any quality optic?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
You have a pretty knowledgeable group of folks here. Most of the iron sight crowd here already know shootouts don't always happen at very close distances. They have made a conscious decision to carry what they feel is the best balance of shootability, capacity, cost, comfort and convenience for the most likely scenarios they might face. Many like to keep it simple. Most people who carry a gun for self defense are busy just living their lives and will never have the time to really train hard and MAINTAIN those skills even if they do acquire them. This is why I believe most people will be better off learning the basics and keeping it simple.

I have a few questions for the OPTICS ARE A MUST folks.

01. Do you feel the average optics user with limited training will be able to consistently find a dot (as fast or faster) than iron sights if they had a poor grip, transition to the weak hand, shooting from an awkward position, etc.?

02. If you draw your pistol and the dot is not there for any reason, do you loose any time at all transitioning to iron sights? How much time does it take for your brain to process and react? I'm talking about cases where it's totally unexpected. I'm not talking about very close targets of course. It's always interesting to see how people react to situations that take them totally off guard. I've seen people fall apart over the years running stages like this.

03. Do your Iron Sights co-witness with the dot?

04. Do you keep the intensity setting the same or do you change it regularly depending on the time of day/night or weather conditions?

1) Yes.
2) No. Transition is easy once you practice it a few times.
3) In my case, it is gun specific. For the most part, yes.
4) Same. Manually set it to brightness sufficient for the afternoon sun.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Nope.

The low left hit for a right handed shooter is a pre-ignition push of the pistol downward to mitigate or control recoil.

Has nothing to do with sights. Plus people rarely can shoot a consistent preignition push for all speeds. It’s less with slow fire, more exaggerated as you speed up.

If I hit low left, high probablity that's exactly what I'm doing.

A drill that has helped me. Load a mag, rack a round in the chamber, holster the mag and gun. Draw and shoot, slide is obvousily not going to lock back, follow up with a fast dry fire. The dry fire will show me what I'm doing.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
The “Demon Drill”.

Cause it brings out all the demons in your follow through.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Nope.

The low left hit for a right handed shooter is a pre-ignition push of the pistol downward to mitigate or control recoil.

Has nothing to do with sights. Plus people rarely can shoot a consistent preignition push for all speeds. It’s less with slow fire, more exaggerated as you speed up.

If I hit low left, high probablity that's exactly what I'm doing.

A drill that has helped me. Load a mag, rack a round in the chamber, holster the mag and gun. Draw and shoot, slide is obvousily not going to lock back, follow up with a fast dry fire. The dry fire will show me what I'm doing.

Just did that drill in a SIG Academy skillbuilder last week. Quite useful.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I can see that. But in a Glock, the important parts are still high strength steel (barrel, slide, frame rails, etc.. With the Romeo Zero, it's pretty much all plastic. SIG even has an issue with this, since the offer a steel cover for the aperture to protect it.

quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

Kind of reminds me of what a lot of people said about the Glock 17 when it first came out.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I just looked it up and yes, they offer a steel shround for the Romeo Zero.

After having carried my P365 with Romeo Zero IWB for a couple of weeks I can't imagine why they offer the shroud though. I certainly see no need for one.

Perhaps it's for people who have a tendency to drop guns from time to time.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
^
Go on Youtube and search Sage Dynamics. They seem to be the go to channel for RDS reviews. They haven't done the Romeo Zero yet. But look at how they test RDSs and you get a sense at what holds up and what doesn't. I have to think the Romeo Zero wouldn't.