SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
No matter how hard I try, I just can't find a weapon that works better for me than the 1911.

The grip angle and fit for me are just perfect. I love the single-action trigger that pulls straight to the rear, the grip safety that you don't even have to think about, and thumb safety that allows the shooter to disengage it without compromising their grip...I'm typically not a fan of manual safetys on guns, but this one is about as well-designed as they come. Mr. Browning knew what he was about.

My particular variant isn't anything special. It's a Springfield Loaded...nothing custom about it, with plenty of MIM parts and mass-produced machining. I think I paid $800 OTD for it brand new (and SA had a promotion going, so I got 5 mags, a hard case, and a really nice range bag thrown in). The only modifications I've made to it are changing out the rear sight because I didn't like the factory 6-o'clock hold, and I swapped out the full-length guide rod for the more traditional GI style.

The darn thing just won't malfunction, and hits everything I shoot at with it. It's smooth, recoil is very manageable, and despite it's size and weight it actually carries very nicely. I own a bunch of other semi-auto handguns...both DA/SA and striker-fired...but every time I shoot this thing it makes me question why. It's enough to make me want to sell everything else (except the P320s I need for work) and buy more 1911s in various calibers. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the classic 1911 design has both some pro's and a few con's. But if it works for you, thats all that really matters. It's probably one of the easiest pistols to shoot good with from the start.

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
looks great!

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
...and buy more 1911s in various calibers. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Yup. At first there was a 10mm, followed by a .17, then a 2011 in 10mm and I also had to have another one of those in .38 and then a .40...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beauty of a gun. My only complaint with that particular model is the lack of front strap checkering. That loaded model Springfield shoots better than anything else I've owned. To be fair the Tupperware guns are lighter, hold more ammo, and easier to conceal (for me at least), but I trust that 1911 to go bang every time.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
My only complaint with that particular model is the lack of front strap checkering.

Yeah, my original plan was to have that done (part of the reason I opted for stainless, to save money on a refinish), but the more I'm shooting it, the more I realize I don't need it. The bead-blasting makes for kind of a grippy texture in itself. That view might change if I was doing some serious competition-type shooting in the summer heat, thought. It may still happen.

I also don't love the ambi-safety, but it snicks on and off just how I like it, and it's not really hurting anything, so I'm afraid to mess with it.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have Pachmayr grips on my 1911's and they do the trick.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I had the exact same Springfield years back. I installed a different hammer and seer, bought a cool stoning fixture and stones from Brownells. Ended up with a nicer trigger than my Clark gun had. Its barrel bore was scratchy looking. It would shoot all Xs at 50 feet with my cast bullet target loads.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92, very helpful remarks. I trained at Gun Site Ranch on the full size 1911. I own other pistols but I am most comfortable with the 1911. Your reasons are well thought out and expressed. I am in complete agreement with you! At a time when I must start reducing my collection, my 1911 pistols will be the keepers.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the title, maybe one might consider a few evolutionary items as moving the pinnacle. Less weight, more capacity, more reliable, easier to maintain, better performance in adverse conditions, adjust ability to different hand sizes. Just to name a few. But I have a bunch of 1911's and if that was all I had I wouldn't miss the evolutionary changes if that matters.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of the 1911 platform and own a good number of them.
In my opinion, they would be perfect with a linkless barrel like the old Peters Stahl designed Springfield Armory Omega.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I dont recall there being any mim parts in the Soringfield Loaded model.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
In my opinion, they would be perfect with a linkless barrel like the old Peters Stahl designed Springfield Armory Omega.
Yes indeed. Going 1 step further, no barrel lugs. Cant remember if the Omega used barrel lugs for rear barrel lock or breech block lock up like most modern auto pistols. Went and varyfied it did use a breech block at rear.

posted Hide Post
I'm partial to the 21st Century version...

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No we did not

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, yes we did, but it's obviously just personal preference. I love the 1911. I love how it feels, shoots, and looks. And I love that my Grandpa helped rid the world of evil with one from 1943-1945.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This boomer from reddit seems to think so: https://www.reddit.com/r/weeke...ight_about_the_1911/

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

Ok, I'd never heard of those before...just looked them up. That's pretty awesome!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I dont recall there being any mim parts in the Soringfield Loaded model.

Maybe not on some of the older ones, but mine definitely does. I couldn't give you a full list of the parts that are, but my hammer and slide stop definitely have visible casting seams in them. I've not had problems with any of these parts, and their presence doesn't bother me...I just mentioned it to point out that this is not a high-end custom gun.

Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
LOL A P220 will do everything a 1911 can and do it all better. Too dense to learn how to shoot a DA/SA, then get a P220 SAO.

Anyone that's still thinks the 1911 is "The pinnicle of semi-automatic handgun design..." is delusional.

Truth be told, the Glock is BY FAR a better design than a 1911 ever thought of being. If the 1911 were introduced today it would be a failure.

Harsh words I know but it's the factual truth and by no means "Opinion".

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
LOL A P220 will do everything a 1911 can and do it all better. Too dense to learn how to shoot a DA/SA, then get a P220 SAO.

Anyone that's still thinks the 1911 is "The pinnicle of semi-automatic handgun design..." is delusional.

Truth be told, the Glock is BY FAR a better design than a 1911 ever thought of being. If the 1911 were introduced today it would be a failure.

Harsh words I know but it's the factual truth and by no means "Opinion".

Did you go off your brain pills again ?

Smile

Top Pistols for USPSA
https://www.ssusa.org/articles...-handguns-for-uspsa/

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post