SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I was just about over lusting for a 1911 , and just when I thought that I was out, they pull me back in again .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55181 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I like the 1911, but its not the pinnacle. The system is unique in that given its age it is relatively unchanged, but there are platforms that like the HKP7 that are closer to pinnacle status. That said, some designs just work, and the 1911 is one of those.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
To the OP: I am similarly inclined. I’ve owned / carried / shot a fair number of different handguns over time, and a full-size 1911 keeps coming back a winner for me. I carry one daily; given a good holster, belt, and spare magazine pouch, it can work extremely well.

One of mine shown below with a few accessories.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Ohhh bendable. Resistance is futile. Embrace it.

Jeez nobody ever got hurt by just taking one bite. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7869 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
To the OP: I am similarly inclined. I’ve owned / carried / shot a fair number of different handguns over time, and a full-size 1911 keeps coming back a winner for me. I carry one daily; given a good holster, belt, and spare magazine pouch, it can work extremely well.

That right there, sir, is pure sex on a stick! Les Baer? The floorplates on those mags are interesting...any info?

Posts: 9194 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
John Moses Browning was not only the greatest American firearm designer ever. Browning was the greatest firearm designer in the entire world and is yet to be eclipsed.

However, swinging barrel links and barrel bushings mark the 1911 as an evolutionary step in firearms design, a point which has now been moved past in the 100+ years since the 1911.

Posts: 109057 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
That right there, sir, is pure sex on a stick!

Yeah what he said to a T. Beautiful gun. Love the simple lines.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7869 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

That right there, sir, is pure sex on a stick! Les Baer? The floorplates on those mags are interesting...any info?

All of that and I'm going with Toyota Tacoma.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Which to be honest is a GAME. The 1911 was designed as a combat pistol and there are better options today.

You could argue that, but it is also HIGH PERFORMANCE.
And high performance hardware in a given category is the pinnacle of that category.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sounds awful pretty

Posts: 109057 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey, thank you! It’s a Les Baer UTC model spec’d with no front cocking serrations and no “.45 ACP” marking on the slide. The magazines are Wilson Combat 47s with Wilson’s low-profile steel basepad - I either bought those mags with that type of base on, or bought the bases separately (I’ve done a bit of both over time).

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
That right there, sir, is pure sex on a stick!

Yeah what he said to a T. Beautiful gun. Love the simple lines.

Thank you!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
All of that and I'm going with Toyota Tacoma.

That’s hilarious! You are correct, ‘tis a Taco!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
John Moses Browning was not only the greatest American firearm designer ever. Browning was the greatest firearm designer in the entire world and is yet to be eclipsed.

However, swinging barrel links and barrel bushings mark the 1911 as an evolutionary step in firearms design, a point which has now been moved past in the 100+ years since the 1911.

And probably will never be eclipsed, given the number and variety of successful designs that can be attributed to Browning. I am at best a casual student of firearms history, but most notable names like Glock, Garand, Williams, or Kalashnikov, bring up only one significant design, with derivatives. With Browning, there are shotguns, rifles, pistols, machine guns.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hey, thank you! It’s a Les Baer UTC model spec’d with no front cocking serrations and no “.45 ACP” marking on the slide. The magazines are Wilson Combat 47s with Wilson’s low-profile steel basepad - I either bought those mags with that type of base on, or bough the bases separately.

Thanks for the info. I love the simple lines of that gun, and the clean slide profile with no rollmarks. Everything I'd want in a 1911, nothing I don't. I have a hard time justifying that type of expenditure (especially when my shooting ability likely wouldn't allow me to do anything with it that I can't do with my SA), but a Les Baer like that is truly a grail gun of mine. The nearest "big" gun store has a nice display of Baers, and I drool over it every time I go in there. Maybe if I sold off a bunch of stuff like I suggested back in the OP....Smile.

Posts: 9194 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hey, thank you! It’s a Les Baer UTC model spec’d with no front cocking serrations and no “.45 ACP” marking on the slide. The magazines are Wilson Combat 47s with Wilson’s low-profile steel basepad - I either bought those mags with that type of base on, or bough the bases separately.

Thanks for the info. I love the simple lines of that gun, and the clean slide profile with no rollmarks. Everything I'd want in a 1911, nothing I don't. I have a hard time justifying that type of expenditure (especially when my shooting ability likely wouldn't allow me to do anything with it that I can't do with my SA), but a Les Baer like that is truly a grail gun of mine. The nearest "big" gun store has a nice display of Baers, and I drool over it every time I go in there. Maybe if I sold off a bunch of stuff like I suggested back in the OP....Smile.

I hear you on that, sir!

I found this one for sale online, being sold by the original owner at a fairly decent discount. I was a Baer fan already but really liked this one with the cleaner look.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Do those of you that own or carry a 1911 have any concerns about the thumb safety disengaging with a ND becoming the end result? I own a S&W 1911 but I'm a little hesitant to carry it because I worry about a ND even though I really want to carry it.

No. But I'm new to the pistol, only having owned/shot/carried them since 1972 Razz

Having said that, I don't use ambi-safeties. I also use standard GI size/type safeties, not extended. Wilson thought I was crazy when I ordered my WC Professional in 2005 and requested a GI style safety rather than extended. However, they were kind enough to fabricate one for me.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
That is a fine looking 1911 sir. As much as I love my revolvers and various other implements of fun times, the 1911 is still one of my favorites.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1357 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just wanted to repost what is, IMHO, the best looking 1911 I've ever seen.

So good, it almost makes me prefer the 1911 over the 1903 in terms of looks. Wow.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is one of the reasons I love Dan Wesson. They roll the model number on slide, very small and tasteful, and that is it.

Pinnacle? Well that’s just stupid. Of course it’s not the pinnacle. It’s a great gun and I love mine.

The only reason we have conversations, which are fun, is not many technologies can you compare a brand new product and a 100+ year old product and the basically function the same. Nothing else has advanced so little in 100 years. Until we get phased plasma rifles we can argue this.

My one and only real gripe for me is the grip safety. If I draw and fire one handed my grip sometimes is just off enough to not actuate the safety. If I shot 1911’s and only 1911’s maybe it’s I could train myself out of it. Dunno. I draw a CZ P10,G19,320,etc a fast draw poor hand placement the gun still fires.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post