SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
looks great!
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
...and buy more 1911s in various calibers. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Yup. At first there was a 10mm, followed by a .17, then a 2011 in 10mm and I also had to have another one of those in .38 and then a .40...

Now you need one in 9mm! Big Grin

Yup, also been floating around the idea that I'll need to get one in 45 Auto someday...

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
It's nice when you find something that works for you, that just "clicks". That feeling that you've found "your" gun. That's really what drives a lot of my gear quests...some of it is taste-testing, but really it's the search for that tool which speaks to you and is nearly effortless to use.

THIS 1000% , def true for some guns I have owned

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Been carrying one for over 50 years. You gotta go with what works best for you and I'm too old to learn anything else well enough to bet my life on. I own many different autos in all styles and calibers but none gives me the confidence my old friend who has served me in good and bad times still does. You either love it, hate it or just enjoy shooting it but it lives on and enjoys a large following for one reason. It is a great gun.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:

I just wanted to repost what is, IMHO, the best looking 1911 I've ever seen.

So good, it almost makes me prefer the 1911 over the 1903 in terms of looks. Wow.

Hey, thank you. This one’s definitely a favorite of mine. The gentleman who originally ordered it from LB really did a great job with his specifications to them. I was really surprised that he was selling it; alas, he was, in turn, having something even nicer crafted by another 1911 artisan.

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
That is one of the reasons I love Dan Wesson. They roll the model number on slide, very small and tasteful, and that is it.

Ditto that - DW does a lot of things right, and this is one of them, for sure.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.... The pinnacle? Well, maybe not. Since JMB was designing the FN/Browning HP just before his death, maybe he saw the 1911 as a first step in the design of auto pistols.
And the evolution of the 1911 into the modern version we have now would likely amaze JMB.
Browning did not invent the auto pistol, but he made it practical and reliable. Henry Ford did not invent the automobile, but he made it practical and reliable. Browning is the Henry Ford of the auto pistol.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok,ok, The Springfield Ronin ,5 " 1911 claims to come with a "G.I. style" recoil system. Is that the optimal system? And does it most likely possess the swinging barrel links and barrel bushings that Para mentioned?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Hmmm.... The pinnacle? Well, maybe not. Since JMB was designing the FN/Browning HP just before his death, maybe he saw the 1911 as a first step in the design of auto pistols.
And the evolution of the 1911 into the modern version we have now would likely amaze JMB.
Browning did not invent the auto pistol, but he made it practical and reliable. Henry Ford did not invent the automobile, but he made it practical and reliable. Browning is the Henry Ford of the auto pistol.

I could be mistaken, but I believe JMB designed the FN/Browning HP to work around the 1911 patents, which were owned by Colt. I don’t believe it was intended to be an improvement over the 1911.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Ok,ok, The Springfield Ronin ,5 " 1911 claims to come with a "G.I. style" recoil system. Is that the optimal system? And does it most likely possess the swinging barrel links and barrel bushings that Para mentioned?

Yes, the Ronin has a swinging barrel link and a barrel bushing.

As to whether the GI recoil system is better that the full-length guide rod is up for debate. I've never had a problem with either system, I simply prefer the GI system because in my experience it's easier to takedown and I like that it's what the gun was designed with. But I wouldn't say someone is wrong if the prefer the full-length guide rod, either.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
Pinnacle, no.

But it is pretty amazing that a 110 year old design still does everything you need. It is more finicky and heavy, but it definitely gets it done.

It cannot be underestimated how much of a genius JMB was. Just loo at the M2 .50 cal HMG, which has been the world standard Heavy machinegun for 100 years

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
Pinnacle, no.

But it is pretty amazing that a 110 year old design still does everything you need. It is more finicky and heavy, but it definitely gets it done.

It cannot be underestimated how much of a genius JMB was. Just loo at the M2 .50 cal HMG, which has been the world standard Heavy machinegun for 100 years

And the Auto 5 shotgun, which was the first commercially successful autoloading shotgun and was produced continuously from 1902 to 1998.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Hardly the pinnacle. Today you can buy a gun that’s twice the capacity for half the price, half the weight, half of the number of parts, that is easily maintained, can be taken down to every last little part in 5 minutes with just a punch and they are 100% reliable out of the box.

I like 1911s and think they are some of the prettiest, especially the one front range posted, but they are better suited as game guns or bbq guns in today’s world.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A great semiauto design, to be sure, but not the pinnacle.

Heck, Browning himself didn't even think it was the pinnacle of his own designs, as he continued tweaking and trying new thing as he continued designing up until his death.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like a 10mm 1911, but the single stack, single action 45 ACP is not the pinnacle of semi-autos. Its not even the best John Browning design. The BHP is a better weapon IMO.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Hardly the pinnacle. Today you can buy a gun that’s twice the capacity for half the price, half the weight, half of the number of parts, that is easily maintained, can be taken down to every last little part in 5 minutes with just a punch and they are 100% reliable out of the box.

Not that I disagree with your points at all, but just for the sake of argument:

quote:
Today you can buy a gun that’s twice the capacity

I don't know about TWICE...at least not in .45. The P320 full-size in .45 hold 10, which is only 2 or 3 more than your typical 1911. The Glock 21 holds 13...still not quite double, and at the end of the day you're stuck carrying a Glock Razz.

quote:
half the price

You can get a brand new RIA 1911 or a Springfield Defender for under $500. Less than a Glock or a P320. But to be fair, then you're stuck with an RIA!

quote:
half the weight

You've got me there. All steel gov't 1911 comes in about 40oz. Glock 21 is 26 oz...but when you load it up all the way it gets heavier Big Grin. And I will contend that the single-stack 1911 fits the hand better and carries better than a blocky G21.

quote:
that is easily maintained, can be taken down to every last little part in 5 minutes with just a punch

You can do that with a 1911, too, except for the grip screws. That's one of the coolest things about the design, IMO, especially considering its age. It's field-serviceable.

quote:
are 100% reliable out of the box.

I'll concede that a Glock or a P320 have a better reputation for reliability, no doubt. But My personal 1911 has been just as reliable as my Glock. I've had 3 malfunctions, and all of those were within the first hundred rounds. I've got close to 1500 though it now, with no further issues. My Glocks and P320s have been very reliable, but I've had a few FTFs with them over the years as well.

Once again, not disagreeing with your points or trying to single you out...I just liked the points that you made (and actually agree with most of them). But considering the years that elapsed between the development of the different platforms, it's amazing to me that the 1911 comes as close as it does, and is still a legitimate contender as a fighting weapon.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Ruger357s points.

We did not reach the pinnacle 100 years ago. I'd say that we reached it 25 years ago.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

We did not reach the pinnacle 100 years ago. I'd say that we reached it 25 27 years ago.

When the first 2011 was brought to market.

Smile

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

We did not reach the pinnacle 100 years ago. I'd say that we reached it 25 27 years ago.

When the first 2011 was brought to market.

Smile

Something something something 1911 hate something something something complete.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
1911's are carburated hot rods in a fuel injected era. Still very cool and can be effective but more of a collector piece and a novelty.
I really like them and I shoot them well. Just prefer more efficient technology.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like 1911's, and have had them for a long time, and will buy more. I'm lusting after a Wilson EDC X9, though even that isn't really a 1911, any more. It's similar.

The finest 1911's still have their issues, and when that finely tuned extractor begins to go downhill, another must be installed and tuned. By comparison, I can take almost any P320 parts and throw them together and I have a functional firearm with an outstanding trigger at a fraction of the cost. A glock, too. I like 1911's, but I don't carry them any more. The Wilson might make me rethink that.

I'm not an experienced competitor like many here are. When I'm home, I shoot some local matches each week, and that's about it. Some of those shooting at those matches, however, are high-level competitors, and some of them do run 1911's. Many of them, in fact. It's rare I see a malfunction on the line that isn't a 1911. I find that interesting. I think the only pistols that I've seen break on the line were 1911's, too. It may be that those using them just run them harder and longer and more than other firearms: the experienced competitors do shoot a LOT of ammunition. But the malfunctions I see are largely confined to the 1911's.

I wouldn't say pinnacle. Some excellent firearms have come out in the last few years and continue to come out. I really like my 1911's. I don't view them as the pinnacle of anything, be it design, function, features, or anything else. They're not my first choice to grab. I really like the .45 acp, but it's not what I'm carrying.

Personally, for a .45, the P220 is an outstanding firearm, and I'm partial to the Glock 21.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post