SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago? Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
To summarize, are we all in agreement here that the 1911 is the go-to for some of us all the time, for some of us some of the time, and for some of us none of the time? I’m just clarifying.

Wink

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
To summarize, are we all in agreement here that the 1911 is the go-to for some of us all the time, for some of us some of the time, and for some of us none of the time? I’m just clarifying.

Wink

Close.
Some of us are lucky and some of us have come down with the Polymer Flu.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:

Wink

Close.
Some of us are lucky and some of us have come down with the Polymer Flu.

Haha! Smile

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Space age polymer.

Can't say it without "space age."

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder why the 1911, and its progeny, remain so popular with top competition shooters? Many who rely on their firearms to get, and remain, in the money. It certainly requires more care than a Glock.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 543 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:It certainly requires more care than a Glock.

If it does, it's worth it. A Ferrari needs more maintenance than a Camry.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 1911, especially as originally designed, is no ferrari.

The reason the ferrari requires more expensive maintenance is the way it's designed; it was supposed to be taken back to the dealership for everything, and even a simple oil change is a major undertaking. The Ferrari isn't that much more car, and isn't that much better a product: it's a name, and it's testosterone. It's made for showing off.

The 1911 is not. Really no valid comparison at all.

A Ferrari isn't necessarily a better car than a Camry, either, and the Camry will get used more, driven farther, and will last longer. Pick your poison.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I've had several 1911s over the years. Have done a few modifications to make them nicer to shoot. Had 3 Les Baer frames and special order slides which I never completed building. In doing further reading today, I never knew the importance of the disconnector. Just knew it had to be there in the gun. Still dont understand how the thing works. You can poke fun at me. Roll Eyes What I do find terribly interesting about the era of designing the 1911, and I dont know if its all true, Browning didn't coat tail off another auto loading pistol design. All prototyped and built by the man. As for the A1 upgrades at Colt, it would be interesting to know if he came up with those ideas on his own or, worked with other Colt staff on the upgrades. It was a time when thinking men worked with forgings and metals for all but the grips. No CAD CAM. I bet there are original drawings from this time. I would love to have been a fly on that wall. Now to the idea of pinnacal, I think every time they get there, a new mouse trap comes along. I've read the comparisons here to modern designs like Glock. I have to wonder how solo Gaston Glock was in his design? Did he borrow any exsisting ideas? Is Glock a 1 hit wonder? Not degrading their arms as I like them.

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The 1911A1 modifications were the result of feedback from the troops themselves. The arched mainspring was a result of complaints that the 1911 shot low. The short trigger and the cut outs on the frame were introduced to accomidate troops with smaller hands. As to Gaston and his Glock, he incorporated Browing's true gift to the firearms world, the stepped barrel locking lug.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
Pinnacle? No, I don't think so, but I'm not complaining.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Mine....I need to get these back in my carry rotation.

Posts: 1976 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
The 1911A1 modifications were the result of feedback from the troops themselves. The arched mainspring was a result of complaints that the 1911 shot low. The short trigger and the cut outs on the frame were introduced to accomidate troops with smaller hands. As to Gaston and his Glock, he incorporated Browing's true gift to the firearms world, the stepped barrel locking lug.
I cannot find images or information on the stepped barrel lug relating to Browning. You are speaking of the barrels bottom lug correct? Was it first used by Browning in a model other than 1911? I did however learn about the disconnector or connector. After all these years.. Big Grin

Posts: 17984 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
I wonder why the 1911, and its progeny, remain so popular with top competition shooters?

The trigger.

The 1911's trigger mechanism is easier to tweak into being ultra light/short/crisp. This, combined with the straight-back trigger design, helps minimizes any adverse input from the shooter into the gun from a non-optimal trigger press, compared to a longer/heavier trigger and/or a pivoting trigger design. And this usually results in greater functional accuracy.

Posts: 33052 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Rogue, I found a considerable difference between the straight, flat faced trigger in a 1911 vs a trigger with arched face. Least wise for me the straight trigger gave me a better trigger break. I have seen a few pistols posted here with the straight trigger.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I cannot find images or information on the stepped barrel lug relating to Browning. You are speaking of the barrels bottom lug correct? Was it first used by Browning in a model other than 1911? I did however learn about the disconnector or connector. After all these years.. Big Grin

I read somewhere that Browning thought the swing link of the 1911 was the weak point of the pistol, so he came up with the lucking lug system that is in the BHP. I now think that the more likely reason was he had to avoid potential patent infrindgement with Colt because FN was going to produce the Hi Power. At any rate, with very few exceptions most semi auto pistols use some varation of the BHP stepped locking lug design.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

posted Hide Post
I think one of the big differences also is that polymer guns do not require so much maintenance. I know that I need to clean my 1911's more often or the slide slows down and they are more likely to jam while a polymer can go a lot longer.

As a small aside my H&Ks are tired of hearing about Glocks all the time. Sure there are one billion accessories for them as opposed to H&K but any sensible person would recognize a better made and more attractive gun. Same reliability and accuracy just . . better.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCfromNY:
I think one of the big differences also is that polymer guns do not require so much maintenance. I know that I need to clean my 1911's more often or the slide slows down and they are more likely to jam while a polymer can go a lot longer.

As a small aside my H&Ks are tired of hearing about Glocks all the time. Sure there are one billion accessories for them as opposed to H&K but any sensible person would recognize a better made and more attractive gun. Same reliability and accuracy just . . better.

Also more expensive...

I have owned numerous HK’s and while they’re very nice - I get more for my money with Glock. Just my 2 cents.,,

Posts: 1976 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Not the pinnacle, but close enough. Picked up this today:

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4383 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
Mine....I need to get these back in my carry rotation.

How do you like that TLE II RL? I've been thinking about a 10mm for a while now, and on paper that gun checks all my boxes. I'd kinda written it off, because...well...Kimber, but I've seen several decent first-hand Kimber reviews lately and am beginning to wonder if their reputation isn't more based on internet hysteria than actual fact.

Posts: 9193 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post