SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
For military battlefield combat, you are correct. But pretty much every LEO in the world carries a pistol, and if the SHTF, that's almost always what they have to fight with.

Maybe we're in the land of semantics between "defense" and "combat", but the ability of a pistol to function in a fight is hugely important to anyone carrying one.

quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Which to be honest is a GAME. The 1911 was designed as a combat pistol and there are better options today.

I missed this the first time I read it. If your idea of combat involves a pistol you're doing it wrong.

Agree with BBMW on this one. I have heard the comment plenty of times that the only use for a handgun is to fight your way to a long gun. Well, as a cop, my rifle and shotgun are both locked in the rack in my car. Sure, if I know ahead of time that the call I'm going to has gone to shit, the rifle or shotgun is coming with me when I get out of the car, but once I'm out without them, there is little chance I'm making it back to them. There's pretty much a 99% chance that if it ever does come down to needing a firearm to fight with on duty, it's gonna be me and the P320 on my belt. There is definitely such a thing as a combat handgun.

Personally, I'd be ok relying on the 1911 in that capacity. I'm confident in my weapon's maintenance and reliability, and my ability to operate it effectively. As an instructor and armorer, responsible for training all the officers on my department and making sure their stuff works, I'll admit to being glad we're issued the P320. Not because I think it's a better gun (and I do think it's an excellent gun), but it is simpler to teach, and more tolerant of any abuse and poor maintenance inflicted on it by my guys.

So yes, there are definitely areas in which newer designs have surpassed the 1911. By some definition, I guess you could say that makes those designs better. I'm glad we have the options that we do today, and I avail myself of many of them, but for me personally, if I was forced to choose just one, I don't think I'd be able give up my 1911. And I'd be perfectly comfortable with that decision.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
"I only have a pistol so I can fight my way to my rifle"
Whenever I hear some dork say that I wonder if they are posting from their mom's basement or from their tactical office at their mall security gig.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I only have a pistol to fight my way to a rifle. Big Grin

(You realize I had to do that, right?)

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I only have a pistol to fight my way to a rifle. Big Grin

(You realize I had to do that, right?)

I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't Big Grin!

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Back when the 1911 was our general issued pistol I used to wipe one dry, then run through a pistol qualification to demonstrate that no matter what, your issued weapon will run through your duty load without issues. I did it with the M16 as well. I never did figure out what the dry round count needed for a stoppage was for either weapon because there is no situation I could ever come up with where you'd have a completely dry weapon, and no means to apply any type of lubrication. I have seen the M9 fired to a stoppage point, but it took over 200 rounds to make that happen.

My point is gun boards are full of people who are completely fixated in the post apocalyptic vision of having to make 'that shot' with a high round count firearm that has received no maintenance what so ever. I don't think that scenario actually exists. The same kind of criticism always seems to creep into any thread about anything to do with the 1911 pistol.

quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
For military battlefield combat, you are correct. But pretty much every LEO in the world carries a pistol, and if the SHTF, that's almost always what they have to fight with.

Maybe we're in the land of semantics between "defense" and "combat", but the ability of a pistol to function in a fight is hugely important to anyone carrying one.

quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Which to be honest is a GAME. The 1911 was designed as a combat pistol and there are better options today.

I missed this the first time I read it. If your idea of combat involves a pistol you're doing it wrong.

Agree with BBMW on this one. I have heard the comment plenty of times that the only use for a handgun is to fight your way to a long gun. Well, as a cop, my rifle and shotgun are both locked in the rack in my car. Sure, if I know ahead of time that the call I'm going to has gone to shit, the rifle or shotgun is coming with me when I get out of the car, but once I'm out without them, there is little chance I'm making it back to them. There's pretty much a 99% chance that if it ever does come down to needing a firearm to fight with on duty, it's gonna be me and the P320 on my belt. There is definitely such a thing as a combat handgun.

Personally, I'd be ok relying on the 1911 in that capacity. I'm confident in my weapon's maintenance and reliability, and my ability to operate it effectively. As an instructor and armorer, responsible for training all the officers on my department and making sure their stuff works, I'll admit to being glad we're issued the P320. Not because I think it's a better gun (and I do think it's an excellent gun), but it is simpler to teach, and more tolerant of any abuse and poor maintenance inflicted on it by my guys.

So yes, there are definitely areas in which newer designs have surpassed the 1911. By some definition, I guess you could say that makes those designs better. I'm glad we have the options that we do today, and I avail myself of many of them, but for me personally, if I was forced to choose just one, I don't think I'd be able give up my 1911. And I'd be perfectly comfortable with that decision.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I love 1911s.

I'm currently lusting after the Dan Wesson DWX, wondering if it might be the best of both worlds - essentially a 1911 that uses CZ double stack mags and the CZ locked-breech barrel lockup instead of a bushing and link.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dan Wesson DWX

Ho Li Schitt
That is a beauty.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a beauty.

It sure is! Do want!!!!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No swinging link, no barrel bushing. So, the 1911 is not the pinnacle; it was a significant (to say the least) evolutionary step, but even JMB himself moved on from swinging links and barrel bushings.
I focus on these two features simply to illustrate the point, but there's more to it than that, of course.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No swinging link, no barrel bushing. So, the 1911 is not the pinnacle;

This is why we can't have nice things...

Wink

Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
Obviously not, this being Sig Forum.

Petter-Browning Locking System is an enhancement over the 1911.

The Sig-Sauer short recoil system is used by basically all the great wonder-pistols of today from SIG to Glock (H&K too I think)

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's used in all those icky plastic pistols that shoot like a house afire.

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

is this hinged deely with the hole in it the swinging link of what you speak ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
quote:
Dan Wesson DWX

Ho Li Schitt
That is a beauty.

Yeah, I've got GAS real, real bad.

The DWX is old-school full size, meaning a 5" barrel, and uses 19 round double stack mags (9mm).

There's also a DWX compact with a 4" barrel and a shorter grip (15 round mags). And no rail, for the rail haters!

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
is this hinged deely with the hole in it the swinging link of what you speak ?

That's the one.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
quote:
Dan Wesson DWX

Ho Li Schitt
That is a beauty.

The DWX is old-school full size, meaning a 5" barrel, and uses 19 round double stack mags (9mm).

There's also a DWX compact with a 4" barrel and a shorter grip (15 round mags). And no rail, for the rail haters!

For crissakes those are nice. Hope I can remember them when buying my next pistols. All good, all the way. Not a tac rail in sight. Dig it!

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
quote:
Dan Wesson DWX

Ho Li Schitt
That is a beauty.

For crissakes those are nice. Hope I can remember them when buying my next pistols. All good, all the way. Not a tac rail in sight. Dig it!

I think I just peed.

posted Hide Post
maladat , that is off of my Ruger P90 .45 acp

I don't see anything that looks like a bushing though

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54644 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Bendable, in the photo below you can see the swinging link below a 1911 barrel. The bushing is on the front of the barrel...it rotates and locks into the slide on a 1911, and the barrel rides inside of it as pictured. I'm not very familiar with the P90, but I don't believe it has a bushing.

To confuse matters even more, 1911s come in two varieties these days...those with the traditional bushing, and bull-barrel "bushingless" models as pictured below (this photo also shows how the bushing interfaces with the slide and barrel):

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Bendable,
1911s come in a dizzying number varieties from a huge number of companies.

My own personal opinion is that if you want to pick up your first 1911 you want the following.

.45 ACP
5 inch barrel
Standard G.I. short guide rod/recoil spring setup
Standard bushing using barrel.
I prefer the added safety of the series 80 trigger system but series 80 vs 70 is a Religious Jihad type opinion to many. Basically series 80 added a firing pin block safety like you find on most all modern guns at the detriment of trigger pull a bit.

Then pick a gun with your grips, finishes, rails, sights etc. you desire.

One other wild card is the internal vs external extractor. I don’t have enough knowledge to speak to the pros or cons of either.

That is my own personal opinion. Doesn’t it make it right just makes it mine.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post