SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did we reach the pinnacle of semi-automatic handgun design 109 years ago? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I'm a huge fan of the 1911 platform and own a good number of them.
In my opinion, they would be perfect with a linkless barrel like the old Peters Stahl designed Springfield Armory Omega.

Ok, I'd never heard of those before...just looked them up. That's pretty awesome!
Only Omegas I have seen for sale on line lately have been used hard.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I dont recall there being any mim parts in the Soringfield Loaded model.

Maybe not on some of the older ones, but mine definitely does. I couldn't give you a full list of the parts that are, but my hammer and slide stop definitely have visible casting seams in them. I've not had problems with any of these parts, and their presence doesn't bother me...I just mentioned it to point out that this is not a high-end custom gun.
Mine was indeed a early production Loaded Model. It didnt come with a nice beaver tail grip safety as yours. I did a beautiful fitting of a Smith & Alexander beaver tail grip safety. My barrel bore was quite rough but shot beautiful.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John3200:
LOL A P220 will do everything a 1911 can and do it all better. Too dense to learn how to shoot a DA/SA, then get a P220 SAO.

Anyone that's still thinks the 1911 is "The pinnicle of semi-automatic handgun design..." is delusional.

Truth be told, the Glock is BY FAR a better design than a 1911 ever thought of being. If the 1911 were introduced today it would be a failure.

Harsh words I know but it's the factual truth and by no means "Opinion".
Considering the designs internals have pretty much been unchanged, at 109 years back it was the best design we had. Not really accurate comparing it to pistols dating only back to the 70s.

posted Hide Post
It's nice when you find something that works for you, that just "clicks". That feeling that you've found "your" gun. That's really what drives a lot of my gear quests...some of it is taste-testing, but really it's the search for that tool which speaks to you and is nearly effortless to use.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
looks great!

quote:
...and buy more 1911s in various calibers. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Yup. At first there was a 10mm, followed by a .17, then a 2011 in 10mm and I also had to have another one of those in .38 and then a .40...

Now you need one in 9mm! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dehughes:
It's nice when you find something that works for you, that just "clicks". That feeling that you've found "your" gun. That's really what drives a lot of my gear quests...some of it is taste-testing, but really it's the search for that tool which speaks to you and is nearly effortless to use.

Yep, that's pretty much where I'm at. It just works.

quote:
LOL A P220 will do everything a 1911 can and do it all better. Too dense to learn how to shoot a DA/SA, then get a P220 SAO.

Anyone that's still thinks the 1911 is "The pinnicle of semi-automatic handgun design..." is delusional.

Truth be told, the Glock is BY FAR a better design than a 1911 ever thought of being. If the 1911 were introduced today it would be a failure.

While my thread title was pretty much tongue in cheek, and obviously informed by personal opinion, I will say I've shot plenty of P220s (and own a P245 and a P225, both derivatives thereof), and while they are great guns, the trigger doesn't come close to that of a decent 1911, even in SAO. The geometry is just different.

As to Glocks, I own one of those too. Its good for what it is, but I'd let it go down the road long before I'd consider selling off a 1911.

Obviously there have been some great advances in engineering in the last hundred years, and I'm glad there have been. There have been some phenomenal shooting platforms developed, and the 1911 has benefited greatly from some updates as well. I'm just amazed that with all of the guns I've owned or shot, I have yet to find one that I enjoy shooting more than one whose basic pedigree is over 100 years old.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
There's been others but I don't think anything has had the svelte dimensions of the 1911 and it's stepchild the Browning Hi Power.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I don’t think that the 1911 is the pinnacle of firearm design, but it got so much right the first time out that surviving this long is impressive along with no one being able to beat the 1911 in the categories that 1911 aces is bizarre.

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The purity of the trigger can't be equaled by a pivot design.
That is one (large) thing.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think its more accurate to list the 1911 as in the Hall of Fame of pistol design. It is a fantastic pistol and one of my favorites. I suppose it all depends on what you want a handgun for. I certainly never feel undergunned with a 1911 though I rarely carry it anymore. They are reliable accurate and quite durable.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do those of you that own or carry a 1911 have any concerns about the thumb safety disengaging with a ND becoming the end result? I own a S&W 1911 but I'm a little hesitant to carry it because I worry about a ND even though I really want to carry it.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
No. I say this because JMB was damn near a firearms profit or genius and were he to be alive today he would be taking full advantage of every available modern technology and frankly I believe he likely would have designed a Glock that was a bit more ergonomic with a better trigger.

The 1911 is good pistol even by today’s standards. It was an AMAZING PISTOL when introduced.

All that said.....the Reddit link is hilarious. Worth the read just to conjure the image of that dude in your head. I especially like the NOBODY could shoot the M9 accurately. Well sparky could it be that. NOBODY had any real pistol fundamentals.

At any rate. The 1911 is a great gun and perfectly adequate even in the 21st century. Carry with confidence. That said if you are intellectually honest you have to know it has been surpassed technologically. I don’t say that as a slight or I’m right and your wrong. Hell I say it as a DA/SA acolyte and hell we all know that has been technically leapfrogged. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:

That it. This is the dumbest thing I'll read all day.

I have a P220 Match Stainless Elite. At 25 yards it prints groups twice the size of my 1911 ball gun. Every custom pistolsmith, as well as pretty much every accuracy thread is telling me the same thing. There is no barrel, or amount of accuracy work that will make the 220 outshoot an accurized 1911. As to reliability I'd google the 2k round no cleaning or oiling reliability thread from the M4Carbine.com board. Pretty interesting reading.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
No. I say this because JMB was damn near a firearms profit or genius and were he to be alive today he would be taking full advantage of every available modern technology and frankly I believe he likely would have designed a Glock that was a bit more ergonomic with a better trigger.

The 1911 is good pistol even by today’s standards. It was an AMAZING PISTOL when introduced.

All that said.....the Reddit link is hilarious. Worth the read just to conjure the image of that dude in your head. I especially like the NOBODY could shoot the M9 accurately. Well sparky could it be that. NOBODY had any real pistol fundamentals.

At any rate. The 1911 is a great gun and perfectly adequate even in the 21st century. Carry with confidence. That said if you are intellectually honest you have to know it has been surpassed technologically. I don’t say that as a slight or I’m right and your wrong. Hell I say it as a DA/SA acolyte and hell we all know that has been technically leapfrogged. Smile

If you are intellectually honest, you will have to recognize that with all the technological advancements, a direct descendant of 1911 is perennially at the top of the leader board in USPSA.
I give you, the 2011.

The original design was so pure, it just keeps inhaling new technology and moving forward.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Which to be honest is a GAME. The 1911 was designed as a combat pistol and there are better options today.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I'm a huge fan of the 1911 platform and own a good number of them.
In my opinion, they would be perfect with a linkless barrel like the old Peters Stahl designed Springfield Armory Omega.

I had the similar Jarvis Kam Lok barrel installed in a gun I was down converting from an obsolete single stack race gun. I think it would have been OK in 10mm or .45 but 9mm just didn't have enough recoil to unlock it reliably. Guns designed from scratch like HK do well.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my first 1911 in 1978. Since then I have dabbled with other semi-autos however the 1911 is still my favorite.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Do those of you that own or carry a 1911 have any concerns about the thumb safety disengaging with a ND becoming the end result? I own a S&W 1911 but I'm a little hesitant to carry it because I worry about a ND even though I really want to carry it.

Not really. Mine require a deliberate action, and I've never had one accidentally disengage.

Trigger finger discipline is paramount

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've got tests that indicate I'm not delusional, and have all the common pistols out there. I've trained agency staff on DA/SA pistols for about 20 years, and now another couple years on striker guns.

The 1911 is still my first choice in a fighting gun.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Do those of you that own or carry a 1911 have any concerns about the thumb safety disengaging with a ND becoming the end result? I own a S&W 1911 but I'm a little hesitant to carry it because I worry about a ND even though I really want to carry it

You also have to overcome the grip safety. So if gun is in the holster, trigger is covered, grip safety is not depressed so you still have two failsafes. I would argue it’s safer then the average striker fired pistol even if the manual safety is disengaged.

For that matter you can an extra layer of safety with a thumb break holster that sits between the hammer and slide.

I am not a 1911 guy as far as carry or defense goes but they are not inherently unsafe especially when you go series 80 (I know burn the heretic) Smile