SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
From the Emerson Facebook page:

A new Ernest Emerson Custom Knife...The Soiree! Number 12 on the list of new knives for the upcoming Virtual Knife Show and Lottery....Now scheduled for Saturday, June 8th. I don't know specs on this one yet, but I like the long, slim, formal lines. It would go well with evening wear...worn in a Tux or a Garter Belt. Smile

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Czechvar:
My Emerson La Griffe came from GP Knives...The size is perfect, the utility is perfect, the holster is perfect. I wondered why they use chain instead of paracord? Maybe the chain is intentionally easy to break in case someone grabs and pulls it. The back reads "Fred Perrin Design".

I've been wearing it around the house today under my shirt, and I like it. Very unobtrusive and comfy. It's not bulky at all, and pulling it is lightning quick.

^ Toldjaso Big Grin
The paracord would be more of a risk in a fight. The chain can break free. The chain is also familiar to most as a simple necklace style that won't draw attention to itself.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5679 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Czechvar:
My Emerson La Griffe came from GP Knives...The size is perfect, the utility is perfect, the holster is perfect. I wondered why they use chain instead of paracord? Maybe the chain is intentionally easy to break in case someone grabs and pulls it. The back reads "Fred Perrin Design".

I've been wearing it around the house today under my shirt, and I like it. Very unobtrusive and comfy. It's not bulky at all, and pulling it is lightning quick.

^ Toldjaso Big Grin
The paracord would be more of a risk in a fight. The chain can break free. The chain is also familiar to most as a simple necklace style that won't draw attention to itself.

So do you wear yours very often...Any legal issues? I can totally see wearing this every day...

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Regulated facilities notwithstanding, the la griffe is very comfortable and capable to be an effective anyway, anyhow, anywhere companion.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5679 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The CQC-11 aka UTCOM (Utility/Combat) aka Blackhawk was introduced in 2003 as a Collaboration between Ernest Emerson and Blackhawk Tactical. It's been out of production for a few years, but it was extremely popular and might come back in limited runs. The Blade design is known as a Kukri Recurve.

Handles: Black G-10 epoxy / glass laminate
Lock: Aerospace grade 6AL 4V Titanium
Blade: 154 CM Premium Blade Steel
Finish: Satin
Grind: Conventional V Grind
Overall Length: 9.275 in.
Blade Length: 4.100 in.
Blade Thickness: .125 in.
Hardness: 57-59 RC
Weight: 5.1 oz.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
From what I've been able to find, Blackhawk Tactical asked Emerson to make the CQC-11 with the Blackhawk Logo for Blackhawk Tacticals 10 Year Anniversary in 2003. I checked to see if they were doing something like this for their 20th Anniversary this year, can't find anything.

After that Anniversary run the CQC-11 UTCOM became a production Emerson Knife.

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
This link shows a very unique emerson knife. I'm no good at embedding pics, but seems to be a one of a kind item.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
This link shows a very unique emerson knife. I'm no good at embedding pics, but seems to be a one of a kind item.

That's the one I thought Mr. Emerson might have made for Keith Richards of the Stones. I emailed them asking about it, but no answer yet. Pretty sure they're maxed out getting ready for the Blade Show and the Virtual Knife Show back to back...It is damned good looking...He does a great job with Micarta...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I've been meaning to look Micarta up...

quote:
Micarta is a brand name for composites of linen, canvas, paper, fiberglass, carbon fiber or other fabric in a thermosetting plastic. It was originally used in electrical and decorative applications. Micarta was developed by George Westinghouse at least as early as 1910 using phenolic resins invented by Leo Baekeland. These resins were used to impregnate paper and cotton fabric which were cured under pressure and high temperature to produce laminates. In later years this manufacturing method included the use of fiberglass fabric and other resin types were also used. Today Micarta high pressure industrial laminates are produced with a wide variety of resins and fibers. The term has been used generically for most resin impregnated fibre compounds. Common uses of modern high pressure laminates are as electrical insulators, printed circuit board substrates, and knife handles.

Applications

The largest use for Micarta industrial laminates is a high strength electrical insulation in power generating and distribution equipment. Laminates are also used in heavy equipment, aerospace, automotive, office equipment, tabletops, countertops, electronic, electrical insulation between pressure vessels or piping and their supports, decorative applications, including knife handles and gun handles, guitar fingerboards and bridges, pool cues, and safety gear such as hard hats. Between 1935-1945, Westinghouse's Power-Aire desk fans used blades made of Micarta.[citation needed]

Micarta 259-2 was used as the ablation heat shield material in early ICBM warheads. [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micarta

Hmmm...No wonder they use it...Tough stuff and can be produced in colors and patterns...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The Raven and the Blackbird...From Wiki and a few other places:

In 1996 Emerson Knives, Incorporated (EKI) was founded by Ernest and Mary Emerson. The first model produced by the company (1996) was a linerlock folding version of the SPECWAR Knife designed by Emerson in collaboration with Timberline Knives. The first two knives Ernest produced in 1997 were the Raven E1-A (Spearpoint) and Raven E1-B (Tanto), these had Kraydon Scales and Titanium liners. Then the Blackbird (A standard linerlock and G10 handle version of the Raven) followed in 1999...Here's a good video of the Raven and Blackbird.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Emerson-Neely Timberline SPECWAR

Emerson's first collaboration with a knife manufacturer was with Timberline Knives in 1993 for his SPECWAR model. This model featured a one-side chisel-ground tanto blade almost 1/4 inch (6.35 mm) thick. Its handle was made from fiberglass-reinforced nylon molded around a near-full tang. Vaughn Neeley of Timberline designed the sheath. The knife was originally a custom piece designed for Naval Special Warfare Group One, and this factory version was soon entered in the trials for the Navy SEALs knife in 1995. Although it was not chosen by the Navy, the Emerson-Neely SPECWAR knife won Blade Magazine's 1995 American Made Knife of the Year Award at the magazine's Blade Show in Atlanta, Georgia, that same year and was displayed as an exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art in New York City from May 24 to August 15,1995.

The PROTOTYPE knife in the bottom photo reads: "EMERSON / TIMBERLINE, NAVSPECWAR PROTOTYPE, S/N 0002, 11 NOV 93", it is the bottom knife in the top photo.

And some interesting information at Knife Forums about these two knives in the pictures...

http://www.knifeforums.com/for...49179/post/last/m/1/

Thanks for the good catch Chuck, much better now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I apologize if I'm off base, but the knife in the typed description is a fixed blade knife, and the photo is of a CQC6 & CQC7. The Neely is like this one. isn't it? Maybe I'm just confused. Folders can't be full tang. The Neeley isn't quite full tang to make sure electricity doesn't conduct all the way through it from tip to butt.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Additional info for the previous Post. Maybe the best first post ever.:

quote:
TheEdgeMan

02-16-13 09:02.46

Ok, this is my first time on a forum and this is my second attempt to post this... Recently I purchased a prototype knife. Engravings on one side of the blade are: EMERSON / TIMBERLINE, NAVSPECWAR PROTOTYPE, S/N 0002, 11 NOV 93. Reverse side of blade reads: San Juan Mountains Timberline Colorado, SPECWAR. Now, I have a non-prototype version as well, the side on the prototype that states "PROTOTYPE" is blank on this version and the reverse is the same as the prototype only above "SPECWAR" it also says "EMERSON/NEELEY." I've read that this knife was called NAVSPECWAR for "Naval Special Warfare" because it was designed for the Navy Seals. It was rejected due to Emerson not being able to mass produce them at that time but was overall the choice of the majority of the Seals. Emerson later teamed with Neeley and later produced a limited number of the then called SPECWAR version. I can provide many detailed images of both knives. I would like to get an estimate of the knife's value, it is in EXCELLENT condition. I just received the knife today and this is my first attempt at getting an appraisal. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you! Joel

quote:
vneeley

03-30-13 09:58.36 - Post#2541118

In response to TheEdgeMan

Hi Joel, Yes you indeed have a prototype. There were 8 official ones made numbered 001 through 008. Numbers one through 4 went to private collectors while numbers 005 through 008 went to the Seals for testing. One other prototype was made, numbered 000 and was kept by the maker. I am Vaughn Neeley. I handmade all 9 of these. Later versions were made by my company as a production item with a molded nylon handle. Your #002, along with the other prototypes was made like a custom knife is made. The blade and handle are hand made. Such as; the blade is custom hand ground and the handles were mortised for the tang and started out as blocks, shaped down with a grinder by my hand.

There are a lot of rumors out there about this entire project. Most of the time I get a chuckle out of them.

That knife is worth a lot to me! However I couldn't give you what it deserves. Don't give it away! Thanks, Vaughn

quote:
SkweegeeTM
Master Member KnifeNut!

04-03-13 11:39.44 - Post#2542050

In response to TheEdgeMan

If I were buying, going by the various prototypes that I own (both military and other) I would put that in the $800-$1200 park.

And for those of you who don't know Mr. Neeley is somewhat of a legend in the knife community. One of the original founders of Timberline Knife fame of the 80's along with Bill Sanders and the late Jim Hardenbrook.

Your Model....

The Emerson-Neeley SPECWAR knife won Blade Magazine's 1995 American Made Knife of the Year Award at the magazine's Blade Show in Atlanta, Georgia, and that same year and was displayed as an exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art in New York City from May 24 to August 15, 1995.

You have a piece of history there.

http://www.knifeforums.com/for...49179/post/last/m/1/

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
OMG...Emerson Knives Website is 'Down For Maintenance'. They did mention that they were updating their site, I wonder if this is it? What'll I do with my OCD now???

At least there's SigForum and a 'Psych" Marathon tonight... Smile

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you for keeping this going.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36901 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I found a couple of posts from 2004 on another Forum written by Ernest Emerson in his usual honest, direct, and thoughtful manner. Very educational concerning the honesty and integrity of published product tests...And how he sees it:

quote:

05-07-2004, 02:11 PM#1
Ernest Emerson

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS

I am posting these photos from a German magazine – Messer Magazine – featured in the most recent issue (April – May 2004).

Now, my German is not that good and I do know that we (Emerson) did not score the highest overall in the series of tests done by the Magazine. I believe our fit and finish was lower than some of the others, our ergonomics was high and some of the rest I just don’t understand.

However, the Emerson Commander did not break and finished the test along with several of the other manufacturers. I think Columbia River scored the highest overall.

There was one knife that broke so early in the test that it couldn’t even be tested in the other categories remaining. It’s easy to see which one.

There are several seasons why I am posting this. You know the obvious, but the important reason is that it was done completely without prior knowledge from the tester and used a randomly selected subject knife and model purchased by the tester. Further, it was from a completely unbiased and independent source. Nothing to favor – no agenda.

We test our knives constantly – locks, blades, etc. and I guarantee to you that if I chose to, I could make our knives appear indestructible and our competitors appear weak and frail. I would not do so #1, because it is unethical and #2 I don’t compare our knives to anyone else – never have – never will. #3 Any in-house testing will always be suspect due to the high probability of skewing or biasing the information to reflect the superiority of the manufacturers (the testers) own product.

*Our Knives have been tested at White Sands laboratories for flight qualification by NASA and passed without question.

We have used pipes, hammers, vises and suspended weights to check various aspects of our knives and will continue to do so. This is not to compare, “ours to theirs”, but to work on continually improving our own models.

When I talk about bias, I want you to understand how easy it is and how tempting it is to skew the information and still appear to be unbiased.

Let’s exaggerate this for a moment just to make a point.

Say for example there was a folding knife (A) that after you opened it up, you inserted a hardened steel bolt through the handles and blade, then let’s say there was a lock back folder (B) that used a real heavy spring and precision lock up system.

Now let’s test the lock failure of each knife. The knife (A) with the hardened steel cross pin took 6000 lbs. of pressure to defeat the locking system. The lock back (B) took 3,750 lbs. to defeat.

In testing the blade though, the cross bolt knife (A) blade broke in half at 1100 lbs. of lateral pressure. The lock back blade (B) took 1400 lbs. of lateral pressure before breaking.

Now, (again in theory, for the sake of this point) if I were the manufacturer of the cross pin knife (A) I would advertise the point that my knife beat the lock back in lock strength by 2,250 lbs. i.e.: My knife is better. We’ll just conveniently ignore the blade strength deficit.

You could do a hundred such tests and pick only those that support your hypothesis or claim, and further yet, you could seed the field with hand picked “special” samples of both your own and the competitors product, if you chose to and no one would ever know.

Is this unethical? I’ll leave that argument up to you. Does this happen? All the time. Every product on the market faces the claims and counterclaims of their competitors. That’s business.

In the end though, I’m just going to make these last points.

Always question the integrity, bias or agenda at stake when any manufacturer claims or publishes their own in-house test data. Again, the results may be actual, but the choice of categories and selected data may be completely skewed in favor of the manufacturer. Never take their word for it.

Again, this is the main reason we never publish any of our test results. No one would believe us and I would not expect our customers to take our word on testing procedures, data or results regarding our own products. Every manufacturer will publish data supporting their own hypothesis or product.

Just remember, “Tobacco does not cause cancer.” “Nicotine is not addictive.”

Ernest R. Emerson
5 May, 2004
______________________________________________________________________________________

05-17-2004, 05:02 PM#30

Ernest Emerson

In Reference to the Comments by Madfast and Electric Zombie

Maybe I wasn’t too clear about the point I was making on this post. It was very simple. Always treat data or tests done by a manufacturer with suspicion when it is in regard to their own product. Sorry you missed the point.

Now, since you have made a couple of additional points, I’ll lend my view. There were quite a number of tests done on the knives that did include cutting, chopping, etc. etc. etc. so they were not just tested as “pry bars”.

But I’m going to tell you a couple of things that concern me.

1. If you make a knife advertised as a “tactical knife”, or a “rescue Knife” then you better believe it’s going to be used to pry at some point in time. You better hope that “tactical knife” doesn’t break when you’re trying to extract a baby from a burning vehicle.
2. Mike was right in his post. Knives in the military are more likely to be used as pry bars than cutting tools. It’s the nature of the environment. I’ve got to tell you the AK-47 bayonet is one of the toughest tools on this planet (I’ve used them) and if you make a folder carrying that name it should live up to at least, a little, of that reputation.
3. Emerson Knives was contacted by the U.S. Navy SBU (Special Boat Units) and Navy SAR (Search and Rescue) teams to develop a Rescue Knife. The reason was due to a terrible accident in which a Marine Helicopter clipped the rigging on the back of a Navy boat and flipped over and into the water. The boat crews in the water were on site in about 45 seconds. The issued knives actually named “The xxx Rescue Knife” could not cut through the harnesses and actually broke – blades snapped – when the crews were trying to free the Marines. As a result I believe 8 Marines went down with the helo. We got the call as a result of the after action reports – the official words were that the “issued rescue knives suffered catastrophic failure.”
4. It was determined that the failure of the knives contributed to the death of those Marines. Remember, these knives were actually called the “xxx Rescue Knife”, by the company that made them.

A knife company can make any kind of knife they want from pen knives to Machetes. But you better call it what it is.

You call a knife a “Tactical Knife” or a “Rescue Knife” and you’ve now stepped into a different ball game. You better understand what those names mean and you better accept the ethical and moral responsibility that you are now accepting. You better know how your knives are going to be used and that someone’s life may depend on its performance. When it’s your turn at bat in my world and you’re called to task, you better stand tall.

In the end, advertising dollars and cool names do not make a Tactical Knife, (or a Rescue Knife for that matter). The bottom line is this, if you’re a lightweight boxer, don’t get into the ring with the heavyweights because they will kick your ass. Don’t delude yourself or the public.

As far as sharpness and cutting ability are concerned let me say this; I can take a 3 dollar chef knife from the grocery store, sharpen it and cut a one inch free hanging rope. I’ve done it.

Would I take this knife into a tactical environment? No. But then, it’s not advertised as a tactical, or a rescue knife.

Son, you got me a little spun up and this really has little to do with the point of my original post but in the end as I have always said, “painting it black and grey doesn’t make it a Tactical Knife.”

Ernest R. Emerson
14 May 2004

http://www.bladeforums.com/for...rth-A-Thousand-Words

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Ernest Emerson on Auction Hunters Jan. 31,2013...

http://www.spike.com/video-cli...-hunters-tanto-sword

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Ran across this Emerson Jupiter Commander...I haven't seen one before.

quote:
Emerson Custom Jupiter Commander
4.875" Blade 11.75" Overall
This one is Brand New from the Blade 2012 Show!
So big that there is no box that will fit so it will come with the bag. This has the factory Warranty/Registration card and Emerson sticker.

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/for...-Production-Emersons

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Emerson Knives updated their website...looks very good...It looks great. Much more 'modern', cleaner and better organized. Shopping is easier and seems much more coherent.

http://emersonknives.com/

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post

quote:
What is the USN? Usual Suspects Network!

by Mike Searson

In January 2002, a group of online knife-collector friends graduated from IRC (Internet Relay Chat) to a Forum of their own with 20 members.

They were called the “Usual Suspects” by a prominent Knife Purveyor for their mutual love of Emerson Custom Knives. As their numbers grew, they began to dominate local and national knife shows like the Blade Show in Atlanta. Their green badges conspicuous along with miles of para-cord, numerous knife clips protruding from their pockets, high-end packs, titanium gadgets, and silver jewelry made them stand out in the crowd.

Just who are these guys?

I first heard of the Usual Suspects in late 2002 from Knife maker Ernest Emerson at a California show. I had seen my first Emerson Knife in 1989 while I was a Marine at Camp Pendleton and had been an Emerson collector since the 90’s. After logging in, I was interested in all the other tactical knives and lights on the site, but kept seeing the acronym “USN”. Being a Marine and knowing Emerson’s connection to the Naval Specwar community, I quickly felt like a fish out of water and logged out. I thought they were talking about the “US Navy”. At a later show I ran into Emerson’s then shop foreman, Derek Russell (a former sailor, himself) who corrected me that USN meant “Usual Suspects Network”. OK, so acronyms were never my strong suit!

I joined again in 2003 and have been there ever since. In 2004 I was honored with the title of “Usual Suspect”, the highest tier in the community and most coveted title. In 2005, I was asked to join the Admin Team to assist in the day-to-day running of the forum.

By 2008, the original forum had grown to some 20,000 members; at the Shot show in Las Vegas that year one of them remarked off-handedly…”There are enough of us to start our own Knife Show!”

In September 2009, that dream became a reality with the First Annual Usual Suspects Gathering at Planet Hollywood Hotel and casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was followed up my a more successful sequel in 2010! Promoted by Larry Brahms of BladeArt, a successful music and motion picture producer; the show has received critical acclaim for the unconventional, yet effective layout to the show.

At our first show, Usual Suspect, Jerome French, aka. Zzzen Dog said, “The flow of the show floor was amazing. Vendors and attendees interacted on a different level than any other show I’ve ever attended. The USN and its personification The Gathering contains some of the warmest, humble, and most generous people you will meet. I am in awe of some of the acts of random kindnesses, some of the most extraordinary collective actions… all to benefit others at the show. It really was something to behold. It wasn’t just a knife show, it was a homecoming. A family reunion.”

Our second show was the first time Blade Magazine ever sponsored another knife show outside of the Legendary Blade Show!

http://www.blademag.com/what-i...al-suspects-network/