SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Have a CQC 10 on it's way to me now. Can't wait.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Welcome to the machine
Picture of Mainspring
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, since they are offering the Christmas Journyman model...

I've been carrying a Journeyman every day for the past few months and have been quite happy with it. I use it heavily and it has performed well for almost everything.

Opening mail and breaking down cardboard boxes is effortless. I also used it to gut a couple of deer this year and it worked great for that. The G10 scales got kind of nasty, but I was able to maintain my grip quite easily, and they cleaned up with a little soapy water and a stiff bristle brush.

About the only thing that it doesn't do exceptionally well is cutting fruits and vegetables in the kitchen, and that's just due to the width of the blade (although I don't think the blade grind helps either).

I have messed up the pocket on one pair of jeans (the Emerson Wave and G10 scales aren't as pocket-friendly as a Sebenza). However, I have to say that once I got used to the Wave feature, there's nothing else faster... even autos.

Specifically with regards to the Journeyman, I find it a highly functional shape (similar to a Karesuando I have).

Posts: 3060 | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Which model 10 did you order? That's a good looking knife, what use do you plan for it?

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the 10!

The Journeyman is a great blade for those who are ready for it.

I'm working other angles for myself, but the Christmas offerings are so great by Emerson.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5679 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
Which model 10 did you order? That's a good looking knife, what use do you plan for it?

It's the black on black plain edge version. I don't know the model number specifics. Getting it in a knife trade.

I went with the 10 because it looks like something that would fit my hand well. I've never had hands on one, but I also opted for it because the "spyderhole" type option for opening it. I prefer that over thumb stubs on all my edc stuff.

I plan on just adding it to the edc roll. I like the spear point for a good defensive knife.

It'll be a user.

I had a mini cqc7 that I sold a while ago after buying it new in the shop. Only sold it because it was my only nib knife and I had the option to put the money into another purchase that was too good to pass on. I sold it with every intention of getting another emerson when the time was right. I've since added a custom Griptilian, a ZT 0550 and a few others. Felt the 10 would be a good addition.

Posts: 2170 | Location: Atlanta  | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Another EKI update, the ETAK in A&B

Something for everyone, because no one could swing one of everything Wink

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5679 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Another EKI update, the ETAK in A&B

Something for everyone, because no one could swing one of everything Wink

Ordered an "A" yesterday. Hope the Christmas mail surge doesn't delay it too much.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, on my recent orders I found USPS free shipping to get the blade here in 2 days, paid UPS... 8 days.

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Czechvar, I know you're a fan. I saw this for sale, and thought I'd share the pic, a Silver Shadow Karambit.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Ay, Karambit!

I like it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44508 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Czechvar, I know you're a fan. I saw this for sale, and thought I'd share the pic, a Silver Shadow Karambit.

Sweet grips, carbon fibre? What did it go for? A Combat Karambit normally sells for about $275...

http://bladegathering.com/kara...lver-shadow-karambit

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sweet grips, carbon fibre? What did it go for? A Combat Karambit normally sells for about $275...

Silver Twill Carbon Fiber. I believe it sold for around $900-$1000

Posts: 243 | Registered: July 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Cove dweller asking $700

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
That's fair. I finally closed my USN membership. I just really didn't use it much. I spend enough time here.

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's fair. I finally closed my USN membership. I just really didn't use it much. I spend enough time here.

Tough to balance all that we'd like to do in life. My email is in my profile if you want to discuss the silver one offline.

Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Question for you Emerson guys. This thread has me wanting one badly but I am concerned about the wave feature especially reading about one of our forum members nerve damage. I typically carry a Ruger LCP in my front right pocket and my knives go in my rear pocket. If I got an Emerson and decided to carry it in my rear pocket, do I need to be concerned about deploying the knife and not knowing if its open, closed or partially open?

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4321 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
Question for you Emerson guys. This thread has me wanting one badly but I am concerned about the wave feature especially reading about one of our forum members nerve damage. I typically carry a Ruger LCP in my front right pocket and my knives go in my rear pocket. If I got an Emerson and decided to carry it in my rear pocket, do I need to be concerned about deploying the knife and not knowing if its open, closed or partially open?

There are a number of models that do not have the wave as the only option

Of my 4. Only 1 is waved

No need to worry about it opening. There is a liner detent for the blade which is very effective

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6304 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a problem. It takes a very definite movement to drag the wave across the corner of your pocket to deploy. If you just clip the knife to the other side of your pocket, it should be fine. Now certain models, like Karambits, allow you to switch the clip side.

Personally, I CCW in the back or appendix so it's not an issue. I'll place my Karambit on the Left. The reason is I'm right handed, and if I'm in a retention struggle I'll have my left free to pull my Karambit.

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The wave is "deeper" in some models than others. While I agree that it is a matter of practice to not deploy it with the wave, the waveless models may suit you best. Also, if you order direct from Emerson you can request that they "de-wave" one for you. If they do it the warranty is not voided.

posted Hide Post
My recent arrival