SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ultramagnus:
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
Nice...How do you like the Satin-StoneWash finish? And do you get much use out of the serrated edge on the Commander? From the looks of things, you use it a lot... Smile

I like the finish, i guess i never really thought about it much - its mostly i didnt want the black finish.
i do use the serrations, a friend of mine ground a few of them out so its more plain edge now than from the factory.
i use this thing for everything, no issues.

What was he doing to grind out serrations? That's a tough trick to pull off...

Did you check with Emerson to see if they could repair the blade?

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ultramagnus
posted Hide Post
no idea how he did it, i gave it to him to sharpen and he calls me up saying "i took out some of the teeth on your blade so its easier to sharpen."

when i got it back i thought it was cool. before and after i still think its perfect knife

--------------THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

Posts: 347 | Location: philadelphia/ FT Riley | Registered: August 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
OK...Interesting modification. As far as the Stonewash-Satin finish on my Super Commander...I like it a lot. The flat is Stonewash and the major bevel is satin...It gives an awesome shimmer when you turn it over in the light. No idea how they did it, but it is cool...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
First release of a more advanced Emerson TSA Compliant "Hummingbird" design...I don't know if they plan to go with these color schemes, or if they just want comments...It's all on their FB page.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The Emerson Kershaw Collaboration produced the Emerson Auto Commander, introduced at the 2009 Blade show. Although no longer available, a very cool project. Notable for a couple of things:
1. The Blade was S30V, not the typical 154cm.
2. It was an Automatic, Emerson is known for manual openers.
3. I'm 99.9% sure the Blades were made by Emerson, and I'm guessing Kershaw handled the final assembly production. The Knife was authorized and licensed by Emerson...not vice versa. It was a limited run, maybe 700 or so...no longer sold in stores.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Another good Auto Comander Review...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...An Autographed Emerson Kershaw Auto Commander, no longer sold, from Blade '09 show...Collectable? I think so...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the Blade HQ ad from their "Graveyard"...There were two models, serrated and no serration. Check out the serration pattern though, unique to my knowledge...but they might have used it with other blades.

quote:
Kershaw Emerson Commander Automatic Knife (Black SER)

No compromises. That was the single principle we started with. The Auto Commander is the singular result. A joint project between Emerson Knives, Kershaw Knives, and designers Grant & Gavin Hawk, the Auto Commander is built with extreme precision from top-of-the-line materials. An S30V stainless blade - the current state-of-the-art steel for all around performance. Non-reflective matte-black Tungsten DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) coating. The famous Commander curved blade shape. And automatic operation.
But with automatic operation comes the need for security. The Auto Commander delivers with the CrossFire Auto Lock, designed by Grant & Gavin Hawk. Toss it on a table, snag it on a seatbelt, mandhandle it on a duty belt - there’s no chance the blade will accidentally deploy. Why? Because the unique CrossFire lock require two motions to work. First slide the lock toward the knife’s spine, then pull down toward the butt. Only then will the blade deploy with a satisfying click into position. Even with gloves. it’s fast and easy to deploy. And when the blade is open, the CrossFire serves as a secondary lock.

This is a limited run of an exceptional knife. Get them before they are gone!

Technical Specs:
Overall Length: 9''
Length of Blade: 3.75''
Weight: 5.4 oz.
Lock/Safety System: CrossFire
Blade Edge: Plain
Blade Material: DLC S30V
Pocket Clip: Black, Reversible (tip up or down)
Handle Material: 6061-T6 aluminum / anodized - with G10 overlays

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Al...earch=auto+commander

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Whilst perusing the Intarwebs, I ran across an Emerson Collector FEDKNIFELOVER who was quite impressive. I'm sure there are bigger collectors, I just haven't seen them...Check out this picture from a 2009 Thread of his Custom and Production models...

I love the Rhino... Smile...As I understand it, the Rhino is the rarest and most sought after knife in the Emerson portfolio..

http://www.bladeforums.com/for...y-and-Glossary/page4

Here's another Collection picture from the Emerson photo's. Somebody uploaded it, so no clue who... Razz

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I love this one. The Emerson Rhino - Silent Sentry Removal Tool (SSRT). An incredibly unique special purpose blade that Ernest designed for the Navy SEALS and other Special Forces to take out Sentries. If I had unlimited resources, this would be my Grail. He only made something like 12 of these.

To me, this knife speaks to the genius and creative mind of Ernest Emerson. He listened to the men who had a job to do, and designed the finest tool imaginable for the task. He is a Giant amongst Grindologists... Absolutely John Browningesque... Smile

Here's an excerpt from Tactical Knives Magazine at the Emerson Website:

quote:
Navy personnel liked the CQC8, but they had something a little different in mind, With SEAL assistance, Emerson developed the SSDS model, a slightly larger, hooked (Rhino) blade fighter designed for one purpose: taking out sentries!

Unlike most lockbacks, the blade of the SSDS has a serrated, doubled-edged spine for most of its length, The blade folds below the level of the handle scales so the user cannot be cut by this extra edge.

I'm told the SSDS worked perfectly for its intended function in "the field" (not on test dummies), but eventually the SEALs decided it was a little too special purpose for their needs, This ocean t really surprise me, as I saw this happen over and over again in Vietnam.

A new troop would show up on our Ranger Long Range Patrol team with something like a Fairbairn/Sykes commando knife, only to find after a few missions that what was really needed was a more general-purpose blade. A few of the more aggressive individuals went on to carry both a pure fighter (the Gerber MK-11 was popular) and a general purpose knife. This isn't a bad idea if you can bear the extra weight.

During this same period, Emerson was working on a SERE (Survival, Escape, Resistance, and Evasion) folder for troops at Fort Bragg. When officers from Naval Special Warfare saw the SERE folder they felt that with a few small changes it would also better meet their requirements. From evolution was born the ES1-M.
http://www.emersonknives.com/Mag_Article7.html

Excellent Video review with lots of great info...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
There are two items Ernest addresses in his frequently asked questions section that I thought important. They concern the Emerson Custom Knife operation and the production cycle they've adopted for their business model. Real Emerson afficionados understand the significance of these subjects:

How will the production knives affect your custom work?

It has had a tremendous effect on my custom work and has tried the patience of everyone who has custom orders with me. Fortunately, the vast majority of my customers have understood the situation and are waiting patiently for their custom orders, and I thank them all for that. Very few people ever get the opportunity to undertake deeds that impact others in a positive way. Emerson Knives was given this opportunity and acted on it. We now employ over 40 people full-time and provide employment for literally hundreds of others in the cutlery industry in an auxiliary manner through licensing, manufacturing, retail sales and distribution of our product. Many, many people now pay their mortgages and put their children through school because of what we have done. Did I know this would affect time of delivery on my customs - yes. Did I make a choice - yes. Fortunately we have proven this to be the correct choice and our decision now serves a greater good. Starting, growing and managing a major production facility has taken almost 100% of my time for the last 2 ½ years. I now have trusted and loyal personnel in place to do those jobs for me. This has allowed me to get back in to my custom shop and working on chipping away at my custom orders. We are slow, but steady, and will continue to fill the custom orders as fast as we can. Thank you again for your understanding and patience in waiting for an Emerson Custom knife.

What about items that are out of stock?

Please be aware that my company operates on a business program modeled after Rolex watches. More hands-on labor goes into the crafting of our knives than any other company in the cutlery industry. We don't have assembly lines. We don't have our knives made overseas. We don't have parts made overseas and shipped here for assembly. Because of these reasons and the strict quality standards that this company lives by, we do not produce thousands of knives a week like the other companies do. In the end, the legacy of Emerson Knives will be that of quality and not quantity. Like Rolex watches, we build our knives in batches, so the entire company can concentrate on building a particular model all at one time. Therefore there are times when we are out of certain models or variations until we circle around to build that particular model once again. We will ship your purchase as soon as it is built if it is currently out of stock. I hope that you understand that we do this to insure and preserve the quality of our product.

We try to keep knives in inventory to supply to you, but the worldwide demand is so high that there are times when we are simply sold out. So bear with us and please be patient as we will have most models on hand most of the time.

The bottom line is this: we could make tens of thousands of knives like the other companies do and we could do it well. However, a fictitious corporate name doesn't go on the logo of any of these knives. My name goes on each and every one, and I will not allow anything with my name on it to be substandard or mass produced.

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekEK_FAQ.php#question3

posted Hide Post
how does the black coating hold up for everyday carry?

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgtmac:
Handles are from 96ish, this blade was replaced in 03'/04'. Not the wave, but without the thumb stud it works the same. Love it, it's like a lucky charm for me.

Very heavy use, beat to hell...Still not too bad... Smile

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiverjosh:

Moderately heavy use...pretty good shape...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
New pony in the corral...CQC-15 BT Plainedge... I put it up against a '69 Dodge Coronet Super Bee for size comparison. Smile

For some reason, my first impression of this knife while holding it is "that is one mean ass looking knife"...seriously. This one isn't meant for slicing wedding cakes...Unless you're fortunate enough to meet that kind of girl. Big Grin

I tried to take the picture to show the way the Tanto front transitions into the Commander recurve belly...I suck with a camera though...
Specifications:
Overall Length: 8.9"
Blade Length: 3.9"
Blade Thickness: .125"
Hardness: 57-59 RC
Weight: 4.8 oz.
Made in USA

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cworetired:
Been following this thread thinking about adding a CQC7 but have a question or two. Will the Tanto blade be good for everyday use and is it hard to keep sharp? Does it work well with just the one side sharp? Thanks

I have a suggestion for you. If you want a decent CQC-7 but don't want to spend too much money ($106) go to knifeworks and buy the one they have. It might not have the Wave opener, but I think it's the best deal around.

If you want the best CQC-7 outside of the currently unavailable HD-7, then jump on that ad to get the SOCFK ($187) from GP Knives...they won't last long.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
From the Emerson Twitter Feed four hours ago...There is a small run of UBR Commanders coming through. If you want one you should call them ASAP...These are a rare event.

This is the 'Beast' of a Commander with the 4.4" Blade...

https://twitter.com/Emerson_knives

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
New pony in the corral...CQC-15 BT Plainedge... I put it up against a '69 Dodge Coronet Super Bee for size comparison. Smile

For some reason, my first impression of this knife while holding it is "that is one mean ass looking knife"...seriously. This one isn't meant for slicing wedding cakes...Unless you're fortunate enough to meet that kind of girl. Big Grin

I tried to take the picture to show the way the Tanto front transitions into the Commander recurve belly...I suck with a camera though...
Specifications:
Overall Length: 8.9"
Blade Length: 3.9"
Blade Thickness: .125"
Hardness: 57-59 RC
Weight: 4.8 oz.
Made in USA

That is a very mean looking knife. The only Emerson I own is the Karambit I posted, but this may well be the second I purchase.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgtmac
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sgtmac:
Handles are from 96ish, this blade was replaced in 03'/04'. Not the wave, but without the thumb stud it works the same. Love it, it's like a lucky charm for me.

Very heavy use, beat to hell...Still not too bad... Smile

You know that guy that uses his knife as a hammer, screwdriver, pry bar and marlin spike?

You do now! Big Grin

Posts: 2832 | Location: ND | Registered: August 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Mine isn't that beat up, but is no longer as sharp as I'd like.

I could take on sharpening it myself, but I'm worried about messing up the serrations.

With what Emerson charges for sharpening it seems like a no brainer to send it to them, though the rest of the spa treatment seems overkill at first look.

Would anyone care to share any thoughts on that?

P.S. Anyone who wants a lanyard directly from them will have to wait. They are out.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post