SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Here is a presentation (In French) Fred Perrin made for a new knife he named 'The Heron'...Now this is way cool, you really need to watch this all the way through...In the previous video Ernest described Perrin as more of a Weapon Creator than a knife maker...

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Emerson makes an interesting variation on the La Griffe...Serrated for extreme outdoor sports.

quote:
The La Griffe (claw) comes from Europe. It is a design from noted French knifemaker Fredric Perrin. We are proud to introduce Mr. Perrin, a veteran of the French Army and expert in survival under extreme conditions. He has designed a knife that is the epitome of simplicity, efficiency, and effectiveness. It is used by military and police operators throughout the world and is widely used in the open ocean fishing fleets of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska.

With the addition of the new variation, the WWR model, it is now the perfect emergency companion for climbers, kayakers, and white water rafters.

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekLaGriffe_WWR_SFS.php

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the original Fred Perrin design of the La Griffe knife:

Blade HQ has a pretty good stock of the Fred Perrin Knives...Definitely worth a look:

http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Perrin-Fred--1367

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Now, more information on Fred Perrin and his weapons can be read here, and lots of good links at the bottom:

http://www.donrearic.com/perrin.html

Another place to purchase Fred Perrin weapons:

http://www.szaboinc.com/perrin.asp

You should kick yourself in the butt if you skip this website...This is some wild stuff:

http://www.donrearic.com/edgedtools.html

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The first Emerson Knives with Standoffs that I've seen are out. The Mini-Commander with standoffs showed up at GP Knives this morning...

quote:
The Emerson Mini Commander with plain edge Black teflon coated blade and new Standoff backspacers. Knife has a grippy black G10 handle and aerospace grade titanium liner lock. Blade is made from 154CM stainless steel and features an ambidextrous thumb disc along with some jimping on the waved area. Comes with a black teflon pocket clip for tip-up carry. Brand new direct from Emerson Knives. Made in USA.

http://www.gpknives.com/emerso...icommanderblack.html

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I was looking over at Bladeforums for some stuff, and ran across this joke... Smile

From a guy in Australia named Oupa...in 2001...

quote:
Remind me of the 2 stockmen who work on a large station (farm) here in the outback.
Only get to town maybe once or twice a year.
As always they head for the pub on arrival in the little outback town.
Looking out of the window they see that a shop across the road, that had been empty for years, was now occupied.
Big sign out the front. “Taxidermist” it says.
Bruce looks at Norm and asks if he knows what a “taxidermist” would be.
Norm shakes his head and says that he will go and find out.
Crosses the street and enters the shop.
Counter with bloke behind it.
On being asked what they actually do the bloke answers that they stuff things.
What kind of things, Norm wants to know.
Oh, all kinds of animals. Goats, deer, sheep I whatever they can get, is the answer.
What about Wombats, Norm wants to know.
Yes, Wombats as well – is the answer.
Norm returns to the pub.
Says to Bruce that the blokes across the road are stockmen, just like them!

http://www.bladeforums.com/for...rnest-R-Emerson-says

posted Hide Post
I am happy to report that I fell for the relentlessly enticing trap that Czechvar has set here, and rec'd. my Commander (black blade, plain edge) today.

After handling this knife I have a sense that there may be another Emerson sometime in my future. Just one though!

Posts: 3505 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Just one though!

Pictures?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Czechvar:
Sometimes you just have to play the advantage. Most places have been out of Black La Griffes for a while...GP Knives just got some in, and I have been wanting one although I wanted to wait. It's just the way things go sometimes... Smile

It's on the way...

You won't be disappointed.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5650 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as requested -

Posts: 3505 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gator97:
I am tied between getting a cqc8 vs socfk. I can't make up my mind. I guess the bright side is that I can't go wrong with either Smile

Well, If it was me...I would get the 8 if I already had a CQC-7. I have my SOCFK-B with me tonight and I was thinking about this. The 8 is a whole different animal, but the SOCFK is pretty much a 7 with the better handle of a SPECWAR.

I think the 7 is the foundation of a good collection...it really is legendary in all of it's formats. I carry my stonewashed 7 most days, and it's perfect in every way.

So for me it would be the 8 to have the coolest knife on the block...The SOCFK if I really wanted something I planned to carry every day and use...Just my personal preference.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The Emerson CQC-7 from the Bin Laden mission sold for $35,400...Proceeds to benefit Special Operations Forces and their Families.

Knife from Osama bin Laden mission
Winning Bid : 35400.0 ( 18 bids )
Highest Bid by : chask
Value : Priceless

http://www.24fundraiser.com/si...5/events/5/items/114

quote:
For all the knife collectors out there. There may be many pocket knives, but this one is truly unique--and it can be yours.

The knife, created by Ernest Emerson of Emerson Knives (www.emersonknives.com) personally gave Mark Owen this knife prior to the bin Laden mission and will award the winner of this knife with a letter of prominence. "That is the real deal -- Owen is the real guy and this is the real knife," says Ernest Emerson. The winner will also receive a letter of authenticity from Mark Owen.

This Emerson knife was carried by "Mark Owen" on the Raid to Capture or Kill OBL. Mark owned this knife for over 8 years and carried it on a variety of combat missions. It's still in great condition and just as effective as the day it was made.

“I'm donating the knife because the owner of Combat Flip flops is a friend and when he told me about this auction and all the good that the money raised was going to go towards, I wanted to help in anyway that I could. Giving back to our community is very important to me and if donating this knife to charity helps with that process then I'm more than happy to do it!”

"One team, One fight"

Mark Owen

Donated By: Mark Owen

Comment from Mr. Emerson:
quote:

05-07-2013, 01:26 PM#7
Ernest Emerson

Dear Members,

I personally placed that knife in the hand of the owner. He is known to me.

Best,
Ernest

http://www.bladeforums.com/for...-quot-Bin-Laden-quot

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
In the last Post "Mark Owens" mentioned Combat Flip-Flops, sooo...

quote:
Mission

Combat Flip Flops creates peaceful, forward-thinking opportunities for self-determined entrepreneurs affected by conflict. Our willingness to take bold risks, community connection, and distinct designs communicate, "Business, Not Bullets"--flipping the view on how wars are won. Through persistence, respect, and creativity, we empower the mindful consumer to manufacture peace through trade.

Brand

What’s our purpose? To to be a part of something new.
Our product says, "I support a new way of thinking and being. I believe it’s possible to move forward together."
Who’s it for? Everyone.

Our Journey

The journey began with the 75th Ranger Regiment. Lee and Griff made their first trip to Afghanistan in the Winter of 2003. After several deployments and reality of a growing families, they separated from the military in 2006 and continued to support troops through other avenues. In 2010, Griff returned to Afghanistan to assist the growing Afghan National Army. On that trip, he toured an Afghan-owned boot manufacturing plant and saw where a factory worker punched a flip flop thong through a combat boot sole. The idea was born.

We started Combat Flip Flops with the mission of supporting a growing Afghan economy. Our goal to manufacture in Afghanistan is anchored in the belief that a strong economy will sustain the gains made over the last decade.

As international forces withdraw in 2014, the mature Afghan National Army and Police are taking the lead. Afghans are making the best financial decisions to sustain the army and police created alongside coalition forces. Footwear manufacturers in Kabul depend heavily on military contracts, so any decrease in volume has a huge impact on sustainable operations. Unfortunately, the decline came faster than expected and the CFF plant could not sustain operations on supplemental flip flop volume. Our factories closed before the delivery of the first order.

Although the military manufacturing sector is slowing down, the economy in Afghanistan is on the rise and we're amazed at the progress we've seen over the past few years. Small businesses are booming, schools are creating empowered Afghan youth, and the most professional security services in Afghan history are in place. This wouldn't have been possible without the opportunity created by the US military and international forces.

So what to do with 3,400 pair of raw materials? We brought it home.

We paid attention to the emails, blog postings, and phone calls asking, "Why don't you make them in the USA?" Roger that. With a foundation of predictable U.S. production, CFF can withstand the delays, setbacks, and difficulties of doing business in post conflict areas. We set up in Issaquah, Washington and began manufacturing in January 2013. Combat Flip Flops will resume production in Afghanistan and offer U.S. and Afghan made products to our customers in the near future.

We truly appreciate our customers’ faith and support. We hope you like our flip flops, style, and approach to helping Afghanistan and supporting our troops. As we grow, we look forward to communicating your positive impact on factory workers, growing economy, and community.

Until then, relax in some comfy footwear. They’re bad for running and worse for fighting.

Thank you.
Lee, Andy, and Griff

http://www.combatflipflops.com...hp?route=common/home

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
This Fund Raiser Rodeo is coming up May 25-26 in Rosenberg TX...That's just to the SW of Houston...The 4th Annual Danny Dietz Memorial Team Roping, honoring one of our fallen Special Forces Heroes. Danny Dietz died during Operation Red Wings, the same mission that SEAL teammate Marcus Luttrell survived and wrote about in his book "Lone Survivor"...All proceeds go to The Navy SEAL Foundation.

quote:
Died June 28, 2005 while conducting counterterrorism operations as part of a four-man SEAL squad in Kunar Province, Afghanistan. Dietz’s whereabouts had been unknown since June 28th. Coalition forces located him while conducting a combat search and rescue operation July 4, 2005.

Awarded Navy Cross, Purple Heart, Combat Action Ribbon, Afghanistan Campaign Medal:
On September 13, 2006, in a public ceremony at the Navy Memorial in Washington, D.C., SEAL teammates Danny Dietz and Matthew Axelson were posthumously awarded the Navy Cross. Navy Secretary Donald Winters honored their heroic acts of June 28, 2005:

Even after being wounded, both men “continued to fight the enemy with undiminished zeal, covering the extraction of the rest of their team while they stayed and fought. Putting the safety of their teammates ahead of their own, they displayed extraordinary heroism in combat.”

Winters concluded, “Extraordinary heroism has earned them the Navy Cross and a place of honor in the hearts of their countrymen.”

http://navyseals.com/nsw/danny-p-dietz/

Definitely something worthwhile and fun to take the family and friends to...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
The AZEK MARUD, The Emerson Collectors Association Knife of the Year 2004...From what I can find, only 50 of these were made.

A Custom edition...

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is a CQC-11. It is quite large.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53134 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Yes...quite large. I don't think they've made those in a while...

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I got that one five or six years ago. It is new in that photo, and is no longer so pristine. I use it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53134 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
It's a great design...I hope they make another run someday...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
My Emerson La Griffe came from GP Knives...The size is perfect, the utility is perfect, the holster is perfect. I wondered why they use chain instead of paracord? Maybe the chain is intentionally easy to break in case someone grabs and pulls it. The back reads "Fred Perrin Design".

I've been wearing it around the house today under my shirt, and I like it. Very unobtrusive and comfy. It's not bulky at all, and pulling it is lightning quick.