SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Just a minute and I'll dig it up...But take a look at the Super Desert Roadhouse...Isn't it sumpin'? One day I'll have one...I don't think they get any better looking than this...

Specifications:
Overall Length: 9.80"
Blade Length: 4.20"
Blade Thickness: 0.125"
Blade Steel: 154CM, 57-59 HRC
Blade Grind: Conventional V
Lock Material: Aerospace Grade Titanium
Handle Material: G-10 (Desert)
Handle Length: 5.60"
Handle Thickness: 0.58"
Weight: 7.4 oz

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gator97
posted Hide Post
Beautiful and badass at the same time!

Posts: 843 | Location: Greenville,SC | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
I just have the group photo, the 8 is the 3rd from the left. But it's not the Super...

Picture of gator97
posted Hide Post
Nice collection. That Super Desert Roadhouse would fit right into that family. Smile

Posts: 843 | Location: Greenville,SC | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Doing this Thread has been a real education for me. Every time I dig up a story or research a little, I learn something new and interesting. I have a much greater appreciation of Ernest Emersons expansive list of accomplishments. I figure the only way he could have done all this is he learned to live without sleep... Smile

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Another Collaboration is with Andy Prisco, owner of the American Tomahawk Company (ATC). Ernest designed the CQC-T Tomahawk for Andy, and ATC built it at the company headquarters in Byesville, Ohio:

quote:
CQC-T
Ernest Emerson needs no introduction. Suffice it to say, the CQC-T is the culmination of Mr. Emerson’s tactical genius brought to bear on American Tomahawk’s experience in producing extreme-use axes. The CQC-T’s lines represent speed, efficiency, and simplicity... in other words, "what works". Designed primarily as a personal combat tool, the CQC-T is grace in motion. It’s light, fast, and accurate. The retention rings in its textured nylon handle provide a sure, positive grip.

The CQC-T is a personal combat tool, first and foremost. We do not recommend you purchase it as a throwing Tomahawk. It's handle design and blade geometry is meant for retention and aggressive cutting, respectively. O-Rings in the handle will likely require replacement over time and can be replaced for a nominal fee by calling customer service.

Steel: Billet Machined S-7, Rc 56-58
Handle: ST “super-tough” modified nylon
Ergonomics: Oval Design – Specialized O-Rings for added retention
Overall Weight: 16 oz w/o sheath
Cutting Edge Length: 2 7/8"
Handle Length: 13 3/4"
Blade thickness: .200 stock
Included Sheath: Jumpable nylon – LBE/LBV, MOLLE, Sling, Belt
Made in USA

http://www.americantomahawk.com/products/cqc-t.htm

http://www.emersonknives.com/m...OD&Product_Code=CQCT

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Honestly, tell me you wouldn't love to have a couple of T-Shirts with these Logos on them...I would. Sooo badass... Cool

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
When I look at my NSAR it doesn't seem that the blade is that sharp, but it will cut through paper on end without a problem. Recommendations for the best way to sharpen it? Now, or later?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5650 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
When I look at my NSAR it doesn't seem that the blade is that sharp, but it will cut through paper on end without a problem. Recommendations for the best way to sharpen it? Now, or later?

I ordered the Ultimate edge sharpeners Emerson sells so I could do my own, and they give you instructions here:

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekEK_Sharpening.php

Or you can send it in and they'll charge you $5 plus return shipping of either $14 or $16. Fill out the Service request form when you send it in:

http://www.emersonknives.com/SERVICE%20FORM.pdf

I just called them and confirmed that they will sharpen the gut hook and serrations if you have serrations. But make sure you request it on the form. If it was my NSAR...I'd send it to them. Can't beat that deal, $5 for a factory blade sharpening...great deal. And everything I've read so far has indicated they have a superfast turnaround time.

Phone: 310-539-5633

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Czechvar
I agree totally about the steal of a deal of having them sharpen. I have a couple that I'll probably send them shortly. I've never been big on me sharpening serrations.

BTW Super cool of you to call them. Thanks!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5650 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
quote:
Czechvar
I agree totally about the steal of a deal of having them sharpen. I have a couple that I'll probably send them shortly. I've never been big on me sharpening serrations.

BTW Super cool of you to call them. Thanks!

That's a good idea, send them all in at once and be done with it. I think the return shipping only goes up $2 for each knife. From what I've read, they do them the day they get them and ship them out the same day or the next day.

BTW Chuck, Burn Notice is back June 6th for the 7th season...Did you hear this will be the final season?

Sucks...We'll have to live with the reruns...I love that show. I hope they go out big for the final season...Make it REALLY memorable!

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I did. I understood that it will be the last season as well. Such an excellent series, and such handsome actors Cool

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
'specially that Sam Axe guy, right? Smile

Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Amen, brother Big Grin

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Here's a useful graphic...Anatomy of an Emerson Knife...There is so much great information on this page you really need to click the link and check it out...

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekKnifeAnatomy.php

quote:
The Key to Emerson Grinds

From time to time we get a question like “Hey you forget to grind the other side of my knife! It’s only sharpened on one side!”

Well, the simple answer is this; that’s the way it’s supposed to be. I developed the Emerson single side edge after years of test, evaluation, research and feedback. I’ve been doing this for over thirty years now regardless of what type of level grind is on the knife, double V or chisel, I only grind the edge(the sharpest) of the knife on one side. It produces an extremely sharp; very durable and easy to service (sharpen) edge for hard duty use.

The main difficulty anyone ever has with our grinds is this, “I’m used to knives sharpened on both sides.” I understand, as that is the way most conventional knives are sharpened. However, once you break that mind-set, you will find that the Emerson Edge grind (one side only) cuts like crazy, stays sharp and is much easier to sharpen back to cutting capability. Because, you’re only dealing with one edge, not two. I’ve sharpened these knives on rocks, bricks, pieces of pipe, sandpaper, glass and stones of all types and I’ve never had a problem getting a good using edge. Yes, I admit if I sharpened it on a piece of concrete, I wouldn’t shave with it, but, I have a razor for that. By the way, if you think of the sharpest piece of steel in your house, what is it? No, it is not your kitchen knives; it is not your pocket knife. It is the razor that you shave with every morning. It doesn’t matter of its Schick, Gillette or BIC they are the sharpest blades in your house. Guess how they are sharpened? One side only – exactly like an Emerson Knife.

Terrific reference charts...

Picture of gator97
posted Hide Post
Cool info. It feeds my addiction Smile

Picture of gator97
posted Hide Post
I am tied between getting a cqc8 vs socfk. I can't make up my mind. I guess the bright side is that I can't go wrong with either Smile

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
OMG...This is unusually awesome... Smile

Last year we had a Thread on the original Allman Brothers Band when they had Duane, before the accident. After a while talk got around to bands that formed in the wake of the ABB and their friends...One of the really big ones was Government Mule. Ernest Emerson has made a Custom Knife named "The Government Mule"...Guess he likes them too. What a handsome pair of knives...

From the Emerson FB page:

Two of these will be in the Virtual Knife Show.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you just have to play the advantage. Most places have been out of Black La Griffes for a while...GP Knives just got some in, and I have been wanting one although I wanted to wait. It's just the way things go sometimes... Smile

It's on the way...

quote:
Emerson La Griffe (claw) neck knife with Black oxide coated 154CM stainless skeletonized construction designed by French knife maker Fred Perrin. This effective tool offers a wide variety of uses in a tactical concealable package. The razor sharp chisel ground blade fits snugly in a molded kydex sheath with beaded neck chain. Brand new direct from Emerson Knives. Made in USA.

Overall Length: 4.90"
Blade Length: 1.75"
Blade Thickness: 0.125"
Blade Material: 154CM (Stainless)
Blade Rockwell: 57-59HRC
Weight: 1.50 oz.
Sheath: Kydex w/Neck Chain
Sheath Weight: 0.90 oz.
Country of Origin: USA

http://www.gpknives.com/emerson-la-griffe.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Ernest Emerson interview on the LaGriffe...