SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    The Emerson Thread...
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 97
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Emerson Thread... Login/Join 
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Interesting Karambit work with Doug Marcaida...scary fast...

Posts: 21838 | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
An Ernest Emerson Seminar "Surviving The Kill Zone"...really, really good stuff. We're not all able to make a Blade Show or live in SoCal so here's an opportunity to learn from the Master himself....I embedded the first part of 9 with links to youtube for the other eight...

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZerdpRyix20
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrQ2-5MosI
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b38urVy-bLE
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK3SfND48dA
Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yn7ulCo9r4
Part 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpBmanfGGKo
Part 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcVgNS9ppZQ
Part 9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9PKXcBbsgU

Spoiler Alert: Go to Part 9, about 25 seconds in Kieth Richards of the Stones has to subdue an unruly fan onstage... Razz

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
It's been around 10 years since this one was introduced...again an interesting story on the origin of a design...The CQC-12 Comrade...

quote:
I have always admired the AK-47 bayonet. I have used them for years in the field, usually to smash something open or pry something apart. Well, I finally got around to designing a folding version. The CQC-12 is brutishly strong, has a bank vault .125 inch thick lock, and feels like a fixed blade in your hand. I don't think you can get much tougher or stronger than this one. This is not a general utility knife. This is an Abrams Tank with sharp edges. The knife features a double V grind and the signature AK-47 clip. The handle has the look and feel of the original bayonet and is built for the most extreme use. We offer two versions. Both versions have a rock solid .125 inch thick integral lock. One has a top handle of .125 inch checkered G-10 and the other has a top handle of .125 inch titanium - making it one of the strongest folding knives ever produced. This knife was bred for combat and excels in any environment or theatre of operations on this planet. You will not find a tougher, stronger cutting tool than this one - The Comrade Military Folder.

AK-47 Bayonets for comparison...

http://emersonknives.com/ekC12.php

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Czechvar,

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Another Discussion on the CQC-12 with more fine details...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Now...To contrast the similar CQC-13 Bowie Folder...

quote:
This is the first Bowie style folder from Ernest Emerson and it is a beauty. This knife fits like a glove and feels like it was made for you. If you like Bowies and you need a Tactical Folder, then there is no other choice. The ECBF has enough blade and handle for any task. This knife looks good and feels even better. Old world tradition meets the 21st century in this combat proven blade, mounted in an extremely safe and secure handle design of Aerospace Titanium and G-10. It features the patented "wave shaped opening feature" with an option for Dragon's Teeth™ serrations.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
And from Bladereviews...a discussion on the 13...

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Another new development in the engineering of Emerson knives is the introduction of Standoffs...I don't know how soon or how it'll happen...

Here's an excerpt from the FB page...
quote:

Michael S King I do like the stand offs over a solid back spacer. Both are strong. I just like the ease of cleaning with the stand off version. Makes me want to upgrade my Emerson collection. Will you be updating the gentleman Jim as well?

Emerson Knives, Inc. We will eventually put stand offs in all of our models. Not sure how soon for the Gentleman Jim yet.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
This video of a Bearded Ernest Emerson was just uploaded April 13th from the Hawaiian Knife Show this weekend...Ernest talks about a knife from his 'garage days'... Smile

And here is another new discussion from the Hawaii Knife Show on the La Griffe...I could not embed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...hXd9hQVsnpFQ&index=2

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
And here is a heavily user customized Super Roadhouse you will not believe...You need to watch the entire video...incredible what he did...I couldn't embed this one either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...h8Hbdt6xhXd9hQVsnpFQ

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Back on Feb 13...If you followed the Emerson Facebook or Twitter feeds...You would have been able to order a Zombie Eradication Team Roadhouse because that's where they announced the availability of this limited run model...And they have a T-Shirt to match. Pretty sure they're all gone now... Smile

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Another Limited Run model they produce once in a great while. This unique model is made only for members of The Order Of The Black Shamrock...Which I joined a few days ago...my package is in transit now.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
An interview with Ernest and Les Baer on the 1911 - CQC-45 Collaboration...At SHOT Show 2010.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Les Baer Custom 1911...Emerson CQC-45 Collaboration. Ernie made the grips for the 1911 and the knife, it's G10. Smile

And the original press release:
quote:
May 12 , 2009 - The Emerson Combat Systems CQC-45 Pistol and CQC-45 Knife Set

One of the great things about my job is that it has given me opportunities to work with some of the greatest names in their respective fields. In fact is has always been more than just about work, as these same greats have also become some of my dearest friends.

If I wrote out the list it would take several pages and it would include experts from the fields of Boxing and Fighting, Knife making, Writers and Authors, Actors and Directors, Machinists and Guitar makers, Government Officials, Astronauts, Kings, Prime Ministers, Lecturers and Combat Psychologists, Shooters, Snipers and Operators, Spooks and Ghosts, Artists and Entrepreneurs, Pro Athletes, Human Prodigies in Strength, Music and Business and always, a family that loyally supported my enthusiasm, craziness, and obsessions yet always kept me grounded and on track.

I have always been a gun enthusiastic and a shooter. I have also pursued this interest with as much enthusiasm as any other interest or endeavor. I have had the wonderful opportunity to train with and at times teach with some of the most respected and renowned combat shooting instructors in the world.
Along the way I’ve learned what works in a gun, what doesn’t work, what’s necessary and what’s unnecessary.

In regards to pistols, specifically the 1911, I’ve been fortunate enough to work with and be mentored by some of the best, Scottie Reitz, Roy Huntington, Hilton Yam, Marc Semos, and John Hollister to name just a few.

My goal in this quest was to be able to build a combat ready, off the shelf, 1911 pistol that would be ready to take into action right out of the box.

It had to be rugged and dependable, stripped of non-essentials and a gun you could stake your life on. It had to look good, with classic lines and possess trueness to the original ideals of John H. Browning while incorporating the best in latest technologies and materials.

Like I said earlier, I’ve been lucky to be surrounded by the best and in regard to building this gun, out of all the names out there, one kept coming to the top. And that name was Les Baer. Les was recommended to me time and time again as this project moved forward and it was always simply put. “If you want somebody to build this gun it’s got to be Les Baer.” So… I called him. After describing this project loosely to him, I remember his enthusiastic response, “I want this project. This is going to be fun!”

I replied to him, “Les, I want a gun that you do not have to take to a gunsmith for any “tuning”, and I want it to shoot just as good after the 10,000th round as it does after the first 200.” His reply was straight and simple; “Ernest, I build those guns.”

We had many good, lively conversations, and some debates, but in the end we were in total agreement on all the details of this pistol. And the Emerson Combat Systems model CQC-45, was born.

I wanted a clean looking, working gun that could run as fast as any competition shooter would want and yet perform as accurate, reliable and relentless as dictated by the harsh realities of life and death combat. When we first started discussing the concept behind this gun, I used an analogy in describing it to Les.
“It has to scream like a Ferrari and roar like a muscle car.” “I understand that completely,” Les smiled. That’s when I found out Les Baer collects muscle cars. So do I. “I guess that explains the logo,” I said. “Yes it does, doesn’t it?” Was his reply.

Anyone who knows me knows I am all about clean lines and high end performance. Les Baer has executed my Close Quarters Combat pistol perfectly… right down to one thousandth of an inch.

See for yourself.

Ernest R. Emerson

This Gun is a Combat Fighting Firearm designed and built to the rigid and precise standards of Les Baer and the combat specifications and requirements of Ernest Emerson and Emerson Combat Systems.

CQC-45 Knife

I think that most people know that Emerson makes Knives,…really good knives. In the middle of the Emerson Combat System , CQC 45 pistol project, Les Baer suggested that I build a matching serialized knife to complete the package. The knife I chose was, of course, the Emerson Nineteen-11, now renamed the CQC-45. This knife was designed from its inception, to embody the simple rugged effectiveness of the iconic weapon it is named after. A very, famous 1911 historian and gunsmith once told me, “Ernest, if John H. Browning could have asked someone to design a knife to match his gun, he would have chosen you.” I could not be paid a higher compliment. In my lifetime, if I were to only live up to a small portion of that compliment I would be happy.

The Emerson CQC-45 was designed to do one thing and that thing is to perform. There are no frills, nothing that is not absolutely needed and this workhorse of a knife will cut all day long. It is a simple design and it is in its simplicity that makes it such a straight ahead high performance working tool. It is not too big to carry, nor too small to be up to any task. Speaking as the knife maker who is credited with creating and defining the tactical knife industry, I can say with authority, this knife is precisely what a tactical and practical cutting tool should be.

The knife features a classic Emerson ergonomic handle design housing a battle proven and timeless razor sharp, Bowie style blade. The blade is made from Crucible 154 Cm premium blade steel, heat treated to an optimum working hardness of Rockwell RC 57-59.

Knife Specs:
Overall length – 8.755 in.
Blade length – 3.850 in.
Length Closed – 5.125 in.
Blade Thickness -- .125 in.
Handle Thickness -- .585 in.
Heat Treat -- 57-59 RC Rockwell

Materials:
Blade: Crucible – 154 CM Steel
Liners and Lock – 6AL 4V Aerospace Grade Titanium
Handles – Premium Grade G-10 Laminate, match checkered to gun grip

Features:
Patented Hidden Wave or Thumb disc one hand opening
.090 thick Titanium liner locking system
Patented, Safe-D-Tent for safe closed position.
Matched and certified serial number on gun and knife in set.
Emerson Dragon’s teeth serrations.

This unique Emerson Knife is the epitome of what a tactical knife represents and in your hand you will know that whether you need a rescue tool or an edged weapon, no matter what you ask, it is up to the task.
It features the patented Emerson “Wave opening feature” that puts it in the elite class of world’s fastest opening folding knife. And this knife is one of the latest evolutions using the “hidden” wave feature.

The handle is built upon the proven liner lock system with a massive .090 thick 6AL 4V titanium locking bar and a .062 matching titanium liner on the opposite side with the Emerson patented Safe-D-Tent to protect the knife in the closed position.

The handles are constructed of Earth Brown, .160 inch thick G-10 laminate handles custom checkered to match the grips on the CQC gun. Each knife is custom serialized to match the gun in each numbered and certified set.

Emerson Knives, as you know, is committed to supporting America and the ideals that have made this country the greatest beacon of freedom in the history of mankind. That is one of the reasons we are called “Americas Knife Company.” The other reason is that every Emerson Knife is 100% made in America in my own factory, by American workers out of materials 100% made in America right down to the last screw.

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekPressReleases.php

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Emerson Commander Size Comparison...Here is a size comparison of the Emerson Super Commander, Commander, Mini-Commander, and Micro-Commander.
There is one more not shown here - The UBR Commander...It is a 4.4" blade ginormous folder...Ernest shows it in the second video from SHOT 2012 (Link). Smile

Emerson UBR Commander:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygWbrocyeA8

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Family photo of the full Commander Series...The top knife is not a regular Commander...It could be a future project prototype. All I know is that your name better be Thor the God of Thunder to handle that one. Smile . There is another model named the ES1M that was built for the SEALS...more on that later...

Beneath that would be the UBR Commander, The Super Commander, The Commander, The Mini-Commander, and the Micro-Commander.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
This picture is what happens when you not only get lucky, but lead a good life...someone is watching out for you. One of the five original ES1 Prototypes created by Ernest Emerson. With it's origins based on the CQC-8 model, this design eventually becomes The Commander. Ernest certified and signed the owners document, you should read it. This is way awesome... Smile

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
My Super Commander came today...To give you an idea of how big this thing is, I put it up next to a '64 Galaxie... Smile

My membership to Emersons Order of the Black Shamrock came today as well...It's been a good day.

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Well, made up my mind on the CQC-15. The Commander recurve combined with the Tanto front end seemed like a pretty impressive design, and I've read enough and heard enough that I really like it now.

quote:
Ernest Emerson:
What's your latest and greatest design?
The CQC15; it’s got all the elements I like …the recurve with the tanto point. I wanted to achieve something and it all came together in that design.
http://www.usngathering.com/in...merson_interview.htm

That's all I needed to know...Plainedge with 3.9" blade...Came today... Smile

Specifications:
Overall Length: 8.9"
Blade Length: 3.9"
Blade Thickness: .125"
Hardness: 57-59 RC
Weight: 4.8 oz.
Made in USA

NRA Benefactor
Life Member
posted Hide Post
Review on the CQC-15...

Picture of Ultramagnus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Czechvar:
Nice...How do you like the Satin-StoneWash finish? And do you get much use out of the serrated edge on the Commander? From the looks of things, you use it a lot... Smile

I like the finish, i guess i never really thought about it much - its mostly i didnt want the black finish.
i do use the serrations, a friend of mine ground a few of them out so its more plain edge now than from the factory.
i use this thing for everything, no issues.

--------------THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

Posts: 347 | Location: philadelphia/ FT Riley | Registered: August 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post