SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good news for a change! Judge tells prosecutor to pound sand in Rittenhouse case
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 93
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good news for a change! Judge tells prosecutor to pound sand in Rittenhouse case Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
*snort* Seems the prosecution is doing defense's job for them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Prosecution Witness in Kyle Rittenhouse Trial: 'Blabbering Idiot' Rosenbaum Was Being Aggressive Towards Me
The guy asked for something he really didn't want, but he got it anyway, so he went from being a stupid, aggressive asshole to being a stupid, dead asshole.

Congrats, moron.

Posts: 107507 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Prosecutor is hitting him hard on Kyle saying he was an EMT.
To what end? He didn't treat someone who croaked, he blasted a couple clowns. I fail to see how this is relevant to anything.

It's an attempt to see if Rittenhouse can be made out to be a liar or a blowhard. If he's not an EMT, did he really have a legitimate reason to be there at all, much less with a gun? If he is an EMT, then what was he doing running around with a gun?

After the testimony the prosecutor's already elicited, it should come as no surprise if the prosecutor's going fishing.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
quote:
To what end? He didn't treat someone who croaked, he blasted a couple clowns. I fail to see how this is relevant to anything.

It's an attempt to see if Rittenhouse can be made out to be a liar or a blowhard. If he's not an EMT, did he really have a legitimate reason to be there at all, much less with a gun? If he is an EMT, then what was he doing running around with a gun?

After the testimony the prosecutor's already elicited, it should come as no surprise if the prosecutor's going fishing.
Ok, but again, fishing or not, what does this buy the prosecutor? Rittenhouse is charged with murder, not being untruthful, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Again, I just don't see what this line of questioning buys the prosecution, but then I am not an attorney.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ok, but again, fishing or not, what does this buy the prosecutor? Rittenhouse is charged with murder, not being untruthful, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Again, I just don't see what this line of questioning buys the prosecution, but then I am not an attorney.

It goes to his credibility. In closing it will be something like “If he was comfortable lying to people to make himself look good, you know he’s comfortable lying to get himself out of trouble.”

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Absolutely agreed. At the same time it's an oblique way of getting at his motivations and state of mind. If he was genuinely there for the right reasons, then he arguably had every reason to be where he was. If he was just a kid running around with a loaded AR15, then whatever the technical truth of the matter he can be presented to a jury as a dipshit who was out looking for trouble or at least excitement. The conclusion a lot folks will draw from that is "he shouldn't have been there, and therefore he brought whatever happened on himself and others".

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I won't be surprised that if the jury finds him guilty, the judge sets aside the verdict.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31423 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This ADA seems like quite the dilettante. I'm half expecting him to ask one of the witnesses if he wears glasses...

Gibbons: Now, Mr. Tipton, were you wearin' them that day?
Mr. Tipton: No.
Gibbons: Well! You see....you were 50 feet away. You made a positive eyewitness identification. And, and, and, and, and, and, and, yet, you were not wearing your necessary prescription eye glasses.
Mr. Tipton: They readin' glasses. ...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I won't be surprised that if the jury finds him guilty, the judge sets aside the verdict.

I was never a litigator, so am wondering what the trial options are (motion to dismiss, directed verdict, etc) before the case gets to a jury and when do they arise?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting Anthony Huber's elderly relative on the stand was ridiculous. I was waiting for him to break out the slide show of his preschool parties. I am sure he was just like the Beaver with his little skateboard.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

All of us here know that we cannot chase a fleeing suspect and shoot them.

Actually, that’s not true, and doesn’t actually reflect what Tennessee V. Garner says.

Tennessee V. Garner boils down that you can’t shoot fleeing suspects for mere flight from a felony. The courts have, however, upheld that there are circumstances as they actually Exist that allow for shooting fleeing suspects. One of which would be circumstances that would be if the suspect is allowed to escape, he would cause death or serious physical injury to others. Since a lot of states deadly force laws are the same for LE and the public, there are scenarios to which this could happen and be lawful.

I have no idea what state law there says and am in no way implying anything other than as a rule of thumb, Tennessee V Garner doesn’t say what some people thinks it does. It’s it no way legal advice, just commentary, and is exactly what you paid for it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Great Aunt and the fiance of dead guy #1 seemed pointless except to make him out as a harmless lovable guy.

Then the lunchtime exchange without the jury or witness present to decide the admissibility of their testimony was one or the more interesting. Prosecutors wanted the family love show to show he was a harmless teddy bear but exclude the defense presenting the family violence offenses he had committed a while back.
Once the judge decided they could show his violent streak, the family show quickly ended. I suspect the jury was scratching their heads, wondering why this was in the trial at all.

The last part was the car lot owners that didn't want to admit they had asked anyone to protect the businesses, likely fearing civil liability. The last guy was pretty much shown to be telling a variety of untruths. Their lack of credibility seemed to make any of their testimony worthless too.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaveL:
It goes to his credibility. In closing it will be something like “If he was comfortable lying to people to make himself look good, you know he’s comfortable lying to get himself out of trouble.”
Except with all the video evidence 'and' the testimony of the witnesses (many of them called by the prosecution), Rittenhouse could be found to be a habitual liar and still be ruled innocent on the murder charges. Maybe this line of questioning would be more valid with far less other specific evidence supporting Rittenhouse's innocence in the shootings.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^ Absolutely agreed. At the same time it's an oblique way of getting at his motivations and state of mind. If he was genuinely there for the right reasons, then he arguably had every reason to be where he was. If he was just a kid running around with a loaded AR15, then whatever the technical truth of the matter he can be presented to a jury as a dipshit who was out looking for trouble or at least excitement. The conclusion a lot folks will draw from that is "he shouldn't have been there, and therefore he brought whatever happened on himself and others".
Yet none of that makes Rittenhouse guilty of anything. The prosecutor can chase that rabbit down the hole but being in Kenosha with an AR on your chest for any reason short of specifically targeting and hunting scumbags doesn't make Rittenhouse guilty of anything. I truly believe, as someone else mentioned, this prosecutor is reaching big time for anything at this point because he essentially has nothing to try and convict Rittenhouse with.

posted Hide Post
The car lot guys don't want to get burned down again (or worse) again after the acquittal. So they are being vague and trying to say they didn't know anyone and didn't ask anyone to be there.

About fleeing suspects - yes I've heard about the risk to others if the suspect is allowed to escape. However, Kyle was passing many many people on the street and not shooting. Old-one-arm did not witness the shooting of Rosenbaum either so I don't see how he could reasonably believe Kyle was a threat to anyone. Only that "someone" said he "shot a guy" and to "go get him".

Rosenbaum was a mentally ill convicted child molester. He was off his meds and had only started taking them a week prior, which is not enough time to be effective. He was taking an anti-depressant, an anti-psychotic, and a benzodiazepine anti-convulsant.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have watched quite a few trials and have to conclude the DA is incompetent. He makes Marcia Clark look like Perry Mason.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rosenbaum was a mentally ill convicted child molester. He was off his meds and had only started taking them a week prior, which is not enough time to be effective. He was taking an anti-depressant, an anti-psychotic, and a benzodiazepine anti-convulsant

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Meds dont help Pedophiles or Sociopaths. I suppose if you give them enough they become comatose.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
this prosecutor is reaching big time for anything at this point because he essentially has nothing to try and convict Rittenhouse with.

Precisely. It's a cheap attempt to prejudice the jury without getting called on it by the judge.
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I have watched quite a few trials and have to conclude the DA is incompetent.

So is he another part of that inbred city government and municipal justice system? Is this an underhanded admission that the prosecution of Rittenhouse was always political in nature? Both? Here's hoping we find out over time.

But, yeah, this guy sucks.

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
The car lot guys don't want to get burned down again (or worse) again after the acquittal.
You must be joking.
A couple of white hoodlums were killed for being stupid.
When have we ever had riots and businesses being burned down over the death of anyone with pale skin?

He will be acquitted and there will be no riots, no businesses burning, no looting.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post