SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Good news for a change! Judge tells prosecutor to pound sand in Rittenhouse case
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 93
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good news for a change! Judge tells prosecutor to pound sand in Rittenhouse case Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
After the prosecution rests I would expect a motion for dismissal based on lack any actual case by the prosecution.

Do you expect the judge to grant it? Doesn't every defense attorney make this motion?

Not always. Often the case is clearly just going to the jury, which is true in a lot of self defense cases where the "violent" act isn't contested. But where the prosecutor overcharged and can't prove (or hasn't provided evidence supporting) a required mental state, I could see it argued even though the act isn't contested.

Many attorneys will make the motion so they don’t waive the issue on appeal or catch a malpractice suit, rather than based on any expectation it will be granted.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
When is the last time the FBI got anything right? They sound like juvenile delinquents with badges

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
When is the last time the FBI got anything right? They sound like juvenile delinquents with badges
Surely any officer with any shred of dignity and integrity has disassociated his/herself from the FBI by now. Surely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13953 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:...
Their job, IMHO is to not only protect the rights of the victim, but to also protect the rights of the innocent. Which everyone is until proven otherwise.

Other than the position that I prefer our legal system to anyone else on this planet, I make no point that I support the actions of how the legal system works.

To the contrary, I have a whole lot of "I do not like them, Sam-I-Am. I do not like green eggs and ham." when it comes to the process, and how it is done.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43877 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
FBI Lost HD Video of Rittenhouse Shooting Showing Kyle Chased by Mob

Could the FBI become any more of a laughing stock?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^This seems to be a common occurrence among numerous corrupt .gov agencies,,, Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Motions to dismiss are common and something any competent defense attorney will do at various points in the case.

In this particular case the motion to dismiss after the prosecution rests would be the simple fact that the prosecution has presented zero evidence to support the charges. And I think it has a chance.

Seriously, watching the testimony when I can, the prosecution witnesses are functioning as defense witnesses. Today, a witness testified that Rosenbaum was erratic, threatened to kill Kyle, started fires, and threatened many people resulting in armed citizens getting between Rosenbaum and others to prevent fights. Yesterday the detective with only a couple years experience also admitted that it did look like Rosenbaum was hiding and chased Kyle, after Kyle said "friendly, friendly, friendly". Prosecutor claimed Kyle was chasing Rosenbaum first. Even if he was, turning around and running away pretty much takes care of any requirement to de-escalate and withdraw.

The rifle was in a friend's possession in WI and never in IL with Kyle. It did not cross state lines. Kyle effectively was borrowing it.

And it goes on and on. The prosecution has zero case and the entire trial is a waste of time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
quote:
Are cops obligated to investigate at the direction of the DA?

What was cited in this instance was Wisconsin's Marsy's Law which gives "victims" certain rights. So the prosecutor probably cited this law and scared the detective into not executing that warrant for that phone.

In other words "suppressing potentially exculpatory evidence". Why is it that everyone's phone got checked except the guy with the handgun that "wished he emptied it" into Kyle? His interview with police was also not recorded. THIS is the asshole that should be charged with attempted murder, and his phone may have had evidence supporting this intent.

Regardless, he is going to get destroyed on the stand by the defense, and it's going to be entertaining.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
^^^^ OMG, can we all just go home now?

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Which cities do you think will burn after Rittenhouse is acquitted?

Portland, Seattle, what else?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kenosha, again.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Might as well finish off Chicago.
It needs to be put out of its misery!

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I really want to see this kid get a big payout.

Total dismissal, and set for life financially. Sounds like misconduct has damaged him from the PD to the FBI, and the prosecutor's office.

Then there is the liberal media that has once again vilified a young man simply for being the wrong color and not knowing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13953 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I don't think anything will happen if he is acquitted. The dead are of the wrong race.

Nobody cares about a couple of dead white people.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Two 30 second highlights of today's trial:
https://twitter.com/JackPosobi...al.7097118%2Fpage-11

https://gab.com/WallofPeople/posts/107220814328243150

Do we know the context here? Are these the prosecution’s witnesses or did the defense call these witnesses? Was this the defense attorney cross examination? It seems too early for the defense to be calling witnesses but admittedly I have not followed the trial this week.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:

Do we know the context here? Are these the prosecution’s witnesses or did the defense call these witnesses? Was this the defense attorney cross examination? It seems too early for the defense to be calling witnesses but admittedly I have not followed the trial this week.

Those are the state's witnesses. It was either on direct (I think) or redirect from the ADA, I don't recall which.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Some commentary from Viva and Barnes.

https://rumble.com/vok2ur-ep.-...rial-canada-and.html

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:

Those are the state's witnesses. It was either on direct (I think) or redirect from the ADA, I don't recall which.

Oops! Big Grin

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's a really strong case the state has. Roll Eyes

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post