SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency : Year IV
Page 1 ... 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 ... 973
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Trump Presidency : Year IV Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Olbermann is the worst of the worst. There's not one bit of rationality in that nutcase.

I doubt Colbert has commented on this matter today. What in the world could he possibly say to a unanimous SCOTUS ruling? "At least it was close."?

Posts: 108211 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The war may continue, but this battle is won. It's Time to celebrate. I'm thinking of a steak dinner. Or maybe I should save that for the Super Tuesday Victory.

Decisions, decisions...

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17506 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Both!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38898 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Olbermann is the worst of the worst. There's not one bit of rationality in that nutcase.

Good assessment. Colbert is in the minor leagues compared to Olbermann. I am going to record Colbert's monologue tonight. It will provide some good entertainment when I get home from work tomorrow Big Grin

Posts: 7592 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^ Why give him the ratings?

Posts: 20236 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
^^^ Why give him the ratings?

Do you really think my click will bring him out of the ratings cellar he's in? I guess I could watch highlights on a Rumble channel that only shows pieces of his schtick. I do want to see his meltdown(s).

Posts: 7592 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Looks like there are three separate opinions from SCOTUS. The majority opinion from all the 5 men, and two separate concurring ones (one from the 3 lib women, and one from ACB).

Justice Amy Coney Barrett sides with liberal justices on Trump ballot decision going too far

By Natalia Mittelstadt
Published: March 4, 2024 4:15pm

In the unanimous U.S. Supreme Court decision on Monday that former President Donald Trump can remain on the 2024 presidential ballot in Colorado, Justice Amy Coney Barrett sided with liberal justices in her concurring opinion, saying that the majority's ruling went too far.

The Monday decision strikes down the Colorado Supreme Court ruling that found Trump ineligible for the ballot due to Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, which contains a clause banning people who "engaged in insurrection" from holding office. The state high court said he violated the amendment through his alleged involvement in attempts to overturn the 2020 election and the subsequent Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the "responsibility for enforcing" the 14th Amendment's "insurrection" clause "against federal officeholders and candidates rests with Congress and not the States."

The court said that "the text of the Fourteenth Amendment, on its face, does not affirmatively delegate such a power to the States."

In the majority opinion, five of the conservative justices noted that they, unlike the other four justices, believe that only Congress has "the power to enforce" Section 3 of the 14th Amendment.

“These are not the only reasons the States lack power to enforce this particular constitutional provision with respect to federal offices,” the opinion continued. “But they are important ones, and it is the combination of all the reasons set forth in this opinion—not, as some of our colleagues would have it, just one particular rationale—that resolves this case. In our view, each of these reasons is necessary to provide a complete explanation for the judgment the Court unanimously reaches.”

The three liberal justices – Sonia Sotomayor, Elena Kagan and Ketanji Brown Jackson – agreed with the majority's judgment but offered a separate concurring opinion, writing, “Although we agree that Colorado cannot enforce Section 3, we protest the majority’s effort to use this case to define the limits of federal enforcement of that provision.”

Barrett wrote in her own separate concurring opinion that she thinks the court only needed to determine whether states lack the power to enforce the insurrection clause. "It does not require us to address the complicated question whether federal legislation is the exclusive vehicle through which Section 3 can be enforced," she wrote.

"For present purposes, our differences are far less important than our unanimity: All nine Justices agree on the outcome of this case. That is the message Americans should take home," she also said.

Barrett has sided with the liberal justices in prior cases before the court, the Washington Examiner reports. In some instances, she has been the sole conservative justice to join them, and other times has joined them with Chief Justice John Roberts, according to Slate.

Q

Posts: 26851 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barrett wrote in her own separate concurring opinion that she thinks the court only needed to determine whether states lack the power to enforce the insurrection clause. "It does not require us to address the complicated question whether federal legislation is the exclusive vehicle through which Section 3 can be enforced," she wrote.

"For present purposes, our differences are far less important than our unanimity: All nine Justices agree on the outcome of this case. That is the message Americans should take home," she also said.

The problem with Barrett is that she has no balls.

She only wants to decide case on extremely narrow grounds, going no further than she absolutely has to. The problem with that is that not every case can reach the Supreme Court so being so narrowly focused only leads to further confusion and difficulty.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24304 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
At least she made the right decision on this case

Posts: 53437 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Also in today's news, the Illinois traffic court judge who ordered Donald Trump removed from the ballot issued a warrant for his arrest for three unpaid parking tickets from 1986.

Actually, the tickets were issued to a Ronald Stump, but in the words of the judge, "That's close enough."

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In wake of SCOTUS ruling, Maine secretary of state withdraws Trump disqualification

Freakin' commie. You should have stayed out of it, stupid.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile:

If this isn't treason, the word has lost all meaning.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3612 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Really? We're flying them in now!??!?!?!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38060 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really? We're flying them in now!??!?!?!

Well yeah, makes the border numbers look better.
What the actual fuck??!!
How can this not be prima facie grounds for impeachment?

Regarding the SCOTUS decision: the five white men (Justice Thomas obviously qualifies as a white man) could see a flood of cases coming without limit, put their foot down to say "Stop this crap!" just as they should.

Too bad about widdew Amy Bawwett.

Posts: 18193 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Wow, I knew Olbermann was an unhinged leftist loony toon but this is marvelous!

Posts: 34133 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fani Willis warned Nathan Wade’s lawyer to stay quiet about affair, court filing claims: ‘They are coming after us’

https://nypost.com/2024/03/04/...ack&utm_medium=email

A new witness could testify Fani Willis warned lover Nathan Wade’s former business partner to stay quiet about their affair, an explosive new court filing claims.

“They are coming after us. You don’t need to talk to them about anything about us,” Willis is alleged to have warned Terrence Bradley in a September 2023 phone call.

The call was overheard by Cobb County, Georgia, prosecutor Cindi Lee Yeager, according to court papers filed Monday by David Schafer, a co-defendant of former President Donald Trump.

Willis and Wade have said under oath they were only romantic between 2022 and 2023, long after the case started.

At a hearing over whether to disqualify Willis last week, Bradley claimed on the stand that he had no “knowledge” of when the two prosecutors started dating.

But the filing says Yeager would swear under oath that that was at odds with what Bradley told Yeager in person — that the romance began in 2019, during Willis’ DA campaign.

Yeager is willing to testify that Bradley told her Wade “had definitively begun a romantic relationship with Ms. Willis during the time that Ms. Willis was running for District Attorney in 2019 through 2020,” Monday’s filing says.

It was not immediately clear Monday whether the court would reopen the hearing to receive additional evidence.

Reps for Willis’ office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

More at link

Posts: 12847 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Super Tuesday!

I voted.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31579 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I figured stupid leftys were at least sane about the SC Colorado ballot case being a stretch, and were only preemptively complaining about the SC as a setup for the immunity case. After listening to the whackos at the cable dem operative propaganda stations react about the Colorado case yesterday, they are either all nuts, or are squeezing every drop to motivate all the crazies that listen.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
An interesting take by Kurt Schlichter on the Presidential immunity case.

https://twitter.com/KurtSchlic.../1764894584428228981

"Interesting thought on the presidential immunity issue. I’ve been pretty clear that I think the Supreme Court is going to find that there is no absolute presidential immunity and that an impeachment is not a prerequisite, but also that presidential immunity does exist for official acts. It is then going to send the case back to the lower court to determine whether specific acts that form the basis of the criminal charges are official acts. Those that are official acts cannot be the basis of a criminal charge because of presidential immunity, probably gutting the ridiculous DC case.

But here’s where it gets interesting. Some of his actions were apparently tweets. I haven’t researched it, but wasn’t there a lawsuit to keep him from blocking people on Twitter? And wasn’t one of the reasons he could not block people that tweeting and communicating with the citizens is an official act? I haven’t gone back and read the case, but I think it would be hilarious if eventually the obnoxious resistance cases against Donald Trump for blocking people on Twitter were cited by his team as precedent showing that tweeting to the American people is an official act. Just a thought."

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30609 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I saw that Kurt Schlichter post last night and was intrigued by the possibilities. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6256 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post