SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I have an option to activate it (Google services: COVID-19 Exposure Notifications) which I declined as you can see here.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16141 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
If you don't have an associated tracking app installed, and you aren't supplying it with information, Google ain't tracking shit. After all, how would they know if you do or don't have the Wuhan if you don't tell them?

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I have an option to activate it (Google services: COVID-19 Exposure Notifications) which I declined as you can see here.

It's off because your bluetooth is turned off. Turn your bluetooth back on and look at it again.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, as of today, our idiot governor has mandated that masks be worn in public. It may just be my imagination, but I find the tone of this article to be a bit smug about it.

https://www.seattletimes.com/s...read-of-coronavirus/

Posts: 17046 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Well, as of today, our idiot governor has mandated that masks be worn in public. It may just be my imagination, but I find the tone of this article to be a bit smug about it.

Cases are spiking like mad here. Last week was record busting individual day cases day after day after day. Good ole Cle Jenkins just did the same thing. Dallas County now masks are mandatory.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12558 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Federal Judge Blasts Whitmer’s Lockdown Defense

Describes argument to keep gyms closed as not science but ‘trust us, they’re still dangerous’

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s assertion that her COVID-19 executive orders are based on the “best science” came under attack when a federal judge wrote that her lawyers could provide no factual basis for keeping the state’s gyms shut down.

United States District Judge Paul Maloney gave his June 19 rebuke of Whitmer and her legal team’s response to a lawsuit brought by several gym businesses.

Eighteen days earlier, Whitmer had announced the state’s gyms would remain under epidemic emergency lockdown, while other businesses, including restaurants and bars, were permitted to reopen.

At a June 1 press conference, Whitmer stated, “The fact of the matter is we’re learning an incredible amount and we are trying to be nimble and move swiftly with the best science and best information that we have so that we can save lives.”

Michigan Capitol Confidential has previously reported on the governor’s past statements that science has been at the core of her executive orders.

Whitmer said in a May 3 CNN interview, “We are going to listen to facts and science.”

In an April 14 interview with National Public Radio, the governor said, “We’re going to have to make decisions based on the best science, the best medical advice and what’s in the best public health of the people of our individual states.”

And Whitmer followed up with an April 21 op-ed in The New York Times, writing, “Each action has been informed by the best science and epidemiology counsel there is.”

Despite the governor’s consistent claim that she was making science-driven decisions, her team of lawyers had no answer for the federal judge when pressed for the data supporting specific provisions of some executive orders.

Maloney emphasized that the bar he faced to uphold Whitmer’s executive orders was extremely low but not zero. He said also that the bar was very high for him to grant the gym owners’ request to let them reopen.

“Plaintiffs [gym businesses] must show that there is no conceivable set of facts from which a rational relation can be drawn,” the judge stated.

“Plaintiffs only argue ... the continued closure of gyms is arbitrary and unreasonable because gyms are basically the only category of businesses that remain closed in Michigan, and because the State has not put forward any scientific data that supports keeping gyms closed while opening other closely similar activities and businesses, such as swimming pools, restaurants and bars, and ‘personal touch’ services like salons,” the judge wrote.

And then, the judge stated how little evidence Whitmer’s team would have to produce to win the lawsuit.

“Rather, this Court must uphold the Governor’s Executive Orders as long as they are supported by some relation to the public health.”

Maloney then emphasized how far short Whitmer’s lawyers fell of even that low standard.

“Unfortunately, on the record before it, the Court has not been presented with any evidence that shows a rational relation between the continued closure of indoor gyms and the preservation of public health,” he wrote. “While the standard is extremely deferential here—if the Court can conceive of any set of facts that would support the Orders, it must uphold them and deny the injunction—the Orders must still connect the challenged prohibition with some fact or facts.”

The judge’s rebuke also described how, in oral arguments, the governor’s lawyers struggled to produce any data or science supporting her position:

“At oral argument, the Court pressed Defendants [Whitmer’s legal team] on what data, evidence, or rationale supported the continued closure of indoor gyms. Defendants cited to the preambles of the Executive Orders and vaguely stated that indoor gyms are a ‘petri dish’ of infection, but Defendants could not point to any facts in the record to support that statement,” the judge wrote. “Defendants emphasized the low bar: all that needed to be presented was a reasonably conceivable set of facts that connected the continued closure to protecting the public health. But when asked, even counsel was unable to state a rational basis to support the position that indoor gyms must still be closed. Defendants merely reiterated that a threat of transmission exists at indoor gyms, and the threat of transmission must be minimized.”

The judge continued: “Again, when asked at oral argument what that rational relation for continued closure of gyms is ... Counsel could not articulate a reason beyond the bare assertion that gyms are dangerous.”

Maloney even cited Whitmer’s oft-used claim of science and data as the basis for her orders.

“In the Governor’s own words, those choices have been based on data and science, and the Court commends and respects that. But when asked what data, science, or even rationale supports the continued closure of indoor gyms, Defendants presented nothing beyond ‘trust us, they’re still dangerous.’ From that vague statement and nothing more, the Court cannot create a set of facts that rationally connects the restriction with the legitimate government interest of protecting the public health.”

The judge also turned one of the arguments presented by the governor’s lawyers against them.

They had used a slippery slope argument to characterize the consequences that would follow if the judge granted the gym owners’ petition to let them reopen, suggesting an onslaught of lawsuits from other businesses aggrieved by Whitmer’s lockdown orders.

But the judge pointed to a different “slope.”

“If Defendants can open or close any sector of the economy, at will, with nothing more than a vague reference that it is ‘dangerous,’ the potential for abuse is palpable,” the judge wrote.

https://www.michigancapitolcon...ers-lockdown-defense

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cases are spiking like mad here.

Impossible - it's just more testing.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Yep. Cases don’t mean shit. Hospitalizations do. Of course there are more cases. There’s more testing going on. A coworker at my company (Havent seen him in years) tested positive. No symptoms at all.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Yep. Cases don’t mean shit. Hospitalizations do. Of course there are more cases. There’s more testing going on. A coworker at my company (Havent seen him in years) tested positive. No symptoms at all.

Why was he even tested if he had no symptoms?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20746 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43801 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Why was he even tested if he had no symptoms?

Because his wife was tested after learning someone at her work tested positive.

———————————————

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
Cases are spiking like mad here.

Impossible - it's just more testing.

No, sorry. Hospitalizations hit record also.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/...tions-for-first-time

quote:

You can read the link also.

Don't shoot the messenger.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12558 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Uh, it's a virus. People are going to catch it.

We QT'ed to keep from overwhelming the hospitals, not to prevent people from getting it 'forever' - which is impossible.

But the drama queens can crow about 'the sky falling' again. Funny to watch. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
People are actually getting sick? My God, better get back in our basements!

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, let's bury our heads and ridicule those trying to take measures to protect themselves.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Commie wanna be Inslee thinks he can make not wearing a mask an enforceable misdemeanor. Good Lord the guy is beyond being an idiot. Good luck in making me wear one everywhere I go, you prick. It ain't gonna happen. Mad

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it hard to come up with adequate words to describe my disappointment with the current state government of Washington.

Posts: 1787 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
Yep, let's bury our heads and ridicule those trying to take measures to protect themselves.

quote:
EVERYBODY PANIC! IT'S JUST LIKE THE TITANIC EXCEPT IT'S FULL OF BEARS!!!
Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11048 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
^^ I love that gif!!

———————————————

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Are we really going to go through this panic shit again?
We must have done that five times in this thread.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16485 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Jimbo and Stlhead, I’m right there with ya. Sick of this nanny state BS.

Posts: 17046 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post