SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend, Suppressed.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Are we really going to panic every single time the broken media lies to us about this pathogen? It's asinine. If the hospitals are being overwhelmed, we wasted trillions of dollars hiding in our holes and we should probably suck it up and take the medicine this time around.

This bears repeating. If our efforts so far haven’t done enough then too bad. I’m sorry to say but we’ve done everything that we reasonably can do at this point. The damage done from closures is too great. If people are going to die then they are going to die. I don’t mean to be harsh and I say this having lost a 39 year old friend to COVID-19, but the cost of saving the people that might possibly be saved is going to be greater than the cost of letting people, even a lot of people die. The mental toll that all of this has taken upon our society is incalculable. We need to move on.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
What you say is very sobering, Lt., but it's correct. At some point this country has to abandon the notion of "Not One More Death"; that's preposterous thinking. Spock axiom anyone? "The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few...or the one". Sounds harsh, but sometimes that's just the way life is.

As of today, the CDC is reporting 121,117 deaths from COVID. I don't believe that mortality number for one single second. Sorry...I'm just not buying the accuracy of the data when it has been overtly stated that those with unrelated illnesses (yes...even end-stage illnesses) that contracted COVID would be recorded as COVID deaths. So an end-stage Pancreatic Cancer patient contracts COVID because Chemo has shot their immune system to hell and back. Cause of death? It won't be listed as Pancreatic Cancer. I have a YUUUUGE problem with that.

The 1957-1958 Influenza outbreak caused 116,000 deaths in this country. I asked my mother if she even remembered anything about it and she said it was a blip on the radar. Granted...different times.

p.s. My condolences for your loss as well, Lt.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The E.U. Today had 4000 new cases of Covid with a total population of 440 million . Florida today announced 5500 new COVID cases today. The % of Covid tests that are positive in Florida is around 15%.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
General Mattis COVID19 PSA

Gen Mattis can eat a bag of dicks as far as I care. Shuffle off to retirement old man.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
The number of cases is absolutely USELESS if we don't know the total number of people tested. Am I making sense at all??

Yes, you are. But...
I understand it is only one metric, and it gives us incomplete information because not ALL people are tested.
By that logic ALL people must be tested EVERYDAY or the information is absolutely USELESS.
I just don't think that's true. We can get useful information about where this virus is most prevalent without testing everyone.
My SIL was saying that they had a big surge, 130 cases, in their county the other day. I asked if the testing rate had increased. She said no, that my brother was keeping a spreadsheet and that the positive rate in their county had gone from one point something percent to eight point something percent. Okay. I didn’t dig into their numbers, they could be FOS, but the idea of looking at the number of positives and the percentage of tests that are positive at least sounds like it could be interesting.
The problem I have is that I am not sure that all numbers information we are getting is not just a big fat collection of lies.

Edited to fix a jillion typos, sigh.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: slosig,

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
Florida today announced 5500 new COVID cases today. The % of Covid tests that are positive in Florida is around 15%.
So? How many of the 5,500 cases will turn out to be asymptomatic? Per what we've seen so far, likely a fairly large percentage. The two doctors I know indicated that both the health systems they work in are still rolling back both nurse and doctor's hours due to a lack of patients to deal with. Couple that with the downward trend of deaths in Florida due to Covid, even with our huge elderly population, and I'm not very concerned about any of this 'data'. I just wish Governor DeSantis would pull back the restraints and let everything get back to normal more quickly.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gen Mattis can eat a bag of dicks as far as I care. Shuffle off to retirement old man.

Amen to that. I could not care less what that fool has to say about anything. He proved to be just another swamp rat.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you think Florida's new case numbers are exciting now, just wait until August and September when 16% of the population that currently only represents 4% of overall cases goes back to school. The 0-14 age group has been isolated since March 13th when 2 weeks of spring break were declared and subsequently, in person classes were canceled until summer break.

I have 3 kids in that age range and I can't wait for them to go back to school and be with kids there own age. Being with them 24/7 for the last 3 1/2 months is interesting.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
If you think Florida's new case numbers are exciting now, just wait until August and September when 16% of the population that currently only represents 4% of overall cases goes back to school. The 0-14 age group has been isolated since March 13th when 2 weeks of spring break were declared and subsequently, in person classes were canceled until summer break.

I have 3 kids in that age range and I can't wait for them to go back to school and be with kids there own age. Being with them 24/7 for the last 3 1/2 months is interesting.

My elderly neighbor is planning a large family vacation to Florida this summer. This is a guy whose last three planned vacations have been canceled by either hurricanes or pandemic. Myrtle Beach 2018,2019 cancelled and Italy 2020 cancelled.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

As of today, the CDC is reporting 121,117 deaths from COVID. I don't believe that mortality number for one single second. Sorry...I'm just not buying the accuracy of the data when it has been overtly stated that those with unrelated illnesses (yes...even end-stage illnesses) that contracted COVID would be recorded as COVID deaths. So an end-stage Pancreatic Cancer patient contracts COVID because Chemo has shot their immune system to hell and back. Cause of death? It won't be listed as Pancreatic Cancer. I have a YUUUUGE problem with that.

It cuts both ways. Yes, the virus may be unfairly singled out as the “cause” of death for one already weakened by other health issues. Blaming the virus can overly simplify a complex, tragic situation that was faced by that lost person.

By the same token, the shutdown can be overly blamed as the “cause” for the failure of a financially-weak business or person. If the business or person didn’t have sufficient liquidity to sustain a long downward cycle, why should I care if that “herd” gets trimmed of its weaker members?

My comment might be offensive, but please understand that it is no different than your own.

We each are guilty of choosing a particular herd to hide in. And we each chose what we want to fear.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:

This bears repeating. If our efforts so far haven’t done enough then too bad. I’m sorry to say but we’ve done everything that we reasonably can do at this point. The damage done from closures is too great. If people are going to die then they are going to die. I don’t mean to be harsh and I say this having lost a 39 year old friend to COVID-19, but the cost of saving the people that might possibly be saved is going to be greater than the cost of letting people, even a lot of people die. The mental toll that all of this has taken upon our society is incalculable. We need to move on.

Agreed. Pray it is not my family or friends, but have said it since the beginning...even the experts...this will go thru everyone at some point, the goal of all this was to slow not stop so as not to overwhelm the hospitals/medical care. We bought the time needed, time to move on while taking reasonable measures we individually determine are needed.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was watching the Last Kingdom last night and thought of what we are experiencing now. "The sickness" befell a certain region of England that could have provided a strategic advantage to one army. The army avoided the area entirely in fear - only to be slaughtered outright a few days later.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Gov. Abbott Suspends Elective Surgeries in Four Texas Counties, Including Dallas County

I'd expect to see this in more locations over coming days/weeks. For those skeptical that it's all just more testing but folks just skating by with no symptoms, etc. the numbers in TX seem to dispel that wishful thinking for that market at least. Assuming you don't think they are just made up which I realize some of you will insist on.

COVID-19 hospitalizations on June 1 was 1784, yesterday was 4389. Obviously those metro areas have a lot of capacity, but Abbott hasn't seemed as prone to overreacting as some of the other dictators governors. From their poorly designed graph it appears while hospitalizations are up the available vents is stable so perhaps that's a sign of better treatment/management of the disease. Or, an upcoming time lag...

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd expect to see this in more locations over coming days/weeks.

Abbot and Fauci have both said they expect that if there's any surge, it'll happen this week and next week. Abbot is still insisting that public schools open this fall on schedule.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Gov. Abbott Suspends Elective Surgeries in Four Texas Counties, Including Dallas County

I'd expect to see this in more locations over coming days/weeks. For those skeptical that it's all just more testing but folks just skating by with no symptoms, etc. the numbers in TX seem to dispel that wishful thinking for that market at least. Assuming you don't think they are just made up which I realize some of you will insist on.

COVID-19 hospitalizations on June 1 was 1784, yesterday was 4389. Obviously those metro areas have a lot of capacity, but Abbott hasn't seemed as prone to overreacting as some of the other dictators governors. From their poorly designed graph it appears while hospitalizations are up the available vents is stable so perhaps that's a sign of better treatment/management of the disease. Or, an upcoming time lag...

"TMC" is the "Texas Medical Center," the giant hospital complex in Houston. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Medical_Center

They have been publishing their bed usage and projected bed usage. Here is the graph through yesterday.

https://www.tmc.edu/coronaviru...ed-occupancy-growth/

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
[Yaaawwwwnn] Wake me up when we hit over 166,000 cases PER DAY. Until then, this is all flatulence despite how HARD some of you are trying to convince...

Why didn't this country go through ANY OF THIS SHIT in 2009/2010 when 60,800,000 cases of Swine Flu ravaged through this country like a Hitler blitzkrieg on Poland? Why???

Source CDC..."From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandem...9-h1n1-pandemic.html

That's ON AVERAGE 166,575 cases PER DAY!! Y'all don't think there was a fear of "overwhelming the healthcare system" then??? I have asked that question a number of times in this thread and in other boards and conversations; it has been met with bullshit answers EVERY. TIME.

I got shouted down a couple of months ago when I brought this up. No longer. From this point forward, I will continue to post this question as the need arises.

COVID-19 as of 24-JUN 2020:
Total Tests - 30,110,061
Total Cases - 2,874,748
Infection Rate of tested - 9.55%
Infection Rate of U.S. - 0.876%

2009/2010 H1N1:
Infection Rate of U.S. - 19.66%

* I could not find numbers to substantiate an estimated Infection Rate of H1N1

So NOW some of you may start to understand exactly WHY I post the "EVERYBODY PANIC" gif when we start talking numbers.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Oh God, the monster-sized chart and graph ‘projections’ are back.

Now I’m REALLY convinced we’re all gonna actually die. Frown

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Source CDC..."From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus."

So H1N1 was a big deal, but this is not?
It resulted in 12,469 deaths, over a one year period?
We've now had 10X that many deaths in 3 months...

quote:
Until then, this is all flatulence...

I Fart In Your General Direction!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
So NOW some of you may start to understand exactly WHY I post the "EVERYBODY PANIC" gif when we start talking numbers.

Even better than that, you apparently intend to copy and repost the exact same body of text every time? What a dick move.

So help my stupid ass out with an answer to a question I'm unable to find in your post since Swine Flu seems to be our benchmark. What was the hospitalization rate of that disease? As I recall it was pretty low, under 100,000 in a year period or so.

If I use some bold text, funny pics and keep reposting the same thing will it help with clarifying why that is a stat that actually matters more than infection rate, testing number, positive cases, etc.?

Look, I don't think we're all gonna die, or that we need to shut down the economy again ever for anything after this experience. I just think the potential strain on the healthcare system is a legit concern. Not just in DFW, but little places like Jackson that has a couple hospitals at or near full capacity now. The sort of capacity that has patients holding in the ER for a day or more for a room. That sounds like an actual issue doesn't it?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post