SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am seeing a lot of that. Coaxing them into seeing their family doctor might help. As I have stated earlier it has caused a mental health crisis for many in this country. The consequence is that many senior citizens are too afraid to go for their checkups and miss taking their meds. Worth a try.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
[H]ow in the world can you glance at it and tell that it's a P250?

It was in an open top Kydex (type?) holster and the P250 has a very distinctive hammer that I’m familiar with because I have one. It only took a glance to identify it.

Plus when I complimented the woman on her choice, she didn’t contradict me. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

a SIG P250 in open carry
This is probably a dumb question. It's not that difficult to tell that a holstered pistol is a SIG, but how in the world can you glance at it and tell that it's a P250? I certainly can't tell one holstered P2xx from another without a fairly close look.

Polymer frame, looks like a 320, but is DAO so there's an obvious hammer cut out at the rear of the slide instead of the slide cap that holds the striker unit in. Smile

Much easier to distinguish those two models at a glance than the 22x series guns.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to go to one of our plants last Thursday, after working from home since mid March. Just a day trip about 1.5 hours drive away. So this was my first chance to see how things are now:

Restricted to one entrance. Doors have been converted to automatic opening after waving near a sensor. Front door security guard is in a plexiglas box. There is a table with surgical type masks in paper bags, so I grabbed one and put it on. He sent me on a cordoned off path to go see a safety guy in another plexiglass box. Safety guy asks several questions: have I had the virus, have I been in contact with anyone who has the virus, have a felt fever, loss of smell, headaches (yeah but not because of a virus), etc.

Then there was a temperature scan from a fixed camera. Then I had to follow the path back the the guard, watch the normal plant safety video, and wait for the person I was there to see.

So then we walked the entire plant looking for places to put "collaborative robots" that our senior management thinks are the greatest invention ever and somehow are immune to the normal rules of automation. Yeah, they don't need guarding and are safe around people (if implemented correctly.

I lost the removable side shields for my Rx safety glasses a while ago so I had to wear the safeties that go over your street glasses. That's fun with the mask and the fogging. And then in the office area every other cube is blocked off.

Lunch was pre-prepared box lunches, everyone sitting at separate tables.

We were able to discuss our findings in a conference room at opposite sides of a conference table.

Company rules, have to follow them, but really after that one day I'm OK with working from home until this is done.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So then we walked the entire plant looking for places to put "collaborative robots" that our senior management thinks are the greatest invention ever and somehow are immune to the normal rules of automation. Yeah, they don't need guarding and are safe around people (if implemented correctly.

^^^^^^^^
You need to show senior managment some 1950s horror flicks where the robots take over. Senior managment is probably drooling over the potential savings. Robots make mistakes that people would never make.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Things that make you go Hmmmmm....

Go to google and search any three digits “new cases”.

Example: 645 new cases

The fear factory is going to find you several articles about that many new COVID-19 cases.

Because I don't want to do that, maybe someone can just enlighten me about what might happen...

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Things that make you go Hmmmmm....

Go to google and search any three digits “new cases”.

Example: 645 new cases

Because I don't want to do that, maybe someone can just enlighten me about what might happen...

You will get news reports. Nothing really special though. It's illness affecting the entire globe, so you will get results in the search. So any random number will show results, think about how many cities, towns, counties, areas, states there are in the US, then think about the fact that there are 190 countries with all their various divisions.

I guess the point of the exercise is to test your critical thinking skills? If you think it is interesting the combination of number of places and Google's algorithm gives these results you pass. If you run around like a chicken with his head cut off you fail.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

What the heck? It's discussed in the post right before yours!

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^

What the heck? It's discussed in the post right before yours!

Sorry, I need more coffee and stronger reading glasses!

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are going to be some interesting tan lines this summer.

My wife has been running County WuFlu test sites for the last 2 months, outdoors. The first week with strong sunshine she came home with two light marks running forward from the top and bottom creases of her ears to a lighter patch around he mouth and nose. Funny at the time.

Posts: 915 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Went to Publix yesterday and some 40-ish year old woman asked me why I didn’t have a mask on after I passed her with my cart. I just stopped and turned around and said, “Because I’ve never been one to make decisions based on emotions, only logic, Karen“. All I got was a blank stare. I smiled and went on down the isle. I think she was pissed because I passed her and she was the one that had her cart almost in the middle of the isle.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
a little diff view of one of the impacts

https://theconservativetreehou...program/#more-194987

The DOJ in Boston have announced the arrest of a Winchester resident, Elijah Majak Buoi, 38, for seeking more than $13 million in PPP loans from the COVID rescue package.

"forgivable loans"

BOSTON – A Winchester man was arrested today and charged with allegedly filing fraudulent loan applications seeking more than $13 million in forgivable loans guaranteed by the Small Business Administration (SBA) for COVID-19 relief through the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act.

Elijah Majak Buoi, 38, was charged in a criminal complaint with wire fraud, and will appear in federal court in Boston this afternoon.

According to the complaint, Buoi is the president and CEO of an information technology services company, Sosuda Tech, LLC. Between April 2020 and June 2020, Buoi allegedly submitted fraudulent applications for over $13 million in PPP loans through SBA-approved lenders. In these applications, Buoi misrepresented the number of employees and payroll expenses and falsely certified that the United States was the primary residence for his employees.

Buoi also allegedly submitted falsified documentation in support of his applications for PPP funds. The complaint further alleges that Buoi ultimately received over $2 million in PPP funds. The government has seized approximately $1.98 million from Sosuda’s business bank accounts.

“The defendant tried to defraud an emergency program designed to help businesses, and their employees, survive the most difficult economic crisis since the Great Depression,” said United States Attorney Andrew E. Lelling. “This behavior is reprehensible, and my office is committed to rooting out and prosecuting this kind of fraud wherever we find it.”

Posts: 19565 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Fuck that guy. ^

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
US attorneys will have plenty of work prosecuting these cases for the next five years. Getting money quickly to people creates opportunity for thieves.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
How appropriate:

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Left and Sheep.

Not much else to say.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I just learned a COVID tracker was installed on my phone. It wasn't there after the last update but it is there now. It cannot be disabled.

Android: Settings > Google
It's at the top of the list.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Is is that you they are trying to get you to finish setting it up...?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/d...racing/#6456efe46054

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
I just learned a COVID tracker was installed on my phone. It wasn't there after the last update but it is there now. It cannot be disabled.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Is is that you they are trying to get you to finish setting it up...?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/d...racing/#6456efe46054

quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

That appears correct the structure within Google to interface with a public health app has been installed in the core software of Google in the Android operating system. This was not there a few weeks ago and the last system update was at least 3 weeks ago.

I have not found a health tracking app, however there is a standard Samsung Heath App already installed ,and quite handy if your active. I'm not sure if this could be updated to finish the tracking process as it's already installed.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
WTF? those are sneaky and crooked bastards at Google. Mad
NO way to delete as I see it.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post