SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:
Uh, it's a virus. People are going to catch it.
Yep, let's bury our heads and ridicule those trying to take measures to protect themselves.

quote:
EVERYBODY PANIC! IT'S JUST LIKE THE TITANIC EXCEPT IT'S FULL OF BEARS!!!
Big Grin

I don't see anyone panicking. So if we discuss a record number of hospitalizations, it's panic?
Ok then, the thread should just be locked then like that other topic. All I am doing is paying attention to what is going on. Those hospital beds fill up, here we go with round 2 of SIP, and all that bullshit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
So if we discuss a record number of hospitalizations, it's panic?

Yes. Any call for reasonableness and caution will be labelled panic by some. If you are not 100% for business as usual, you are part of the problem. There is no middle ground.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no middle ground.

mmmmkay. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes. Any call for reasonableness and caution will be labelled panic by some. If you are not 100% for business as usual, you are part of the problem. There is no middle ground.

BS. If you’re medically fragile and/or old, stay the fuck home and/or take precautions. Everybody else should go about their normal business.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Are we really going to panic every single time the broken media lies to us about this pathogen? It's asinine. If the hospitals are being overwhelmed, we wasted trillions of dollars hiding in our holes and we should probably suck it up and take the medicine this time around.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
There is no middle ground.

mmmmkay. Roll Eyes

I'm sharing the opinions of others. Not my own.

I've been labelled brainwashed, simply for sharing that I wear a mask sometimes out of caution. I've also been told my doctors who advise me to take caution hate America. This is several pages back in this thread.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sharing the opinions of others. Not my own.

I've been labelled brainwashed, simply for sharing that I wear a mask sometimes out of caution. I've also been told my doctors who advise me to take caution hate America. This is several pages back in this thread.
I thought this had already been addressed.
If you're at risk and been advised to wear a mask, by all means... But I know not of this binary choice to which you refer.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
If you’re medically fragile and/or old, stay the fuck home and/or take precautions. Everybody else should go about their normal business.
This right here. And my not so humble opinion? All a face mask is at this point is a Mind Control Device (saw a great meme for that on Fakebook, but don't know how to post it here). So...if Karen thinks a face mask, to include an N95 mask, is stopping that virus from entering her body, I have some swamp land to sell Karen. Wink

As Paul Harvey would say, "Good day".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
No need to go Full Karen...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

And some of you guys aren't getting this.....

Why didn't this country go through ANY OF THIS SHIT in 2009/2010 when 60,800,000 cases of Swine Flu ravaged through this country like a Hitler blitzkrieg on Poland? Why???

Source CDC..."From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandem...9-h1n1-pandemic.html

That's ON AVERAGE 166,575 cases PER DAY!! Y'all don't think there was a fear of "overwhelming the healthcare system" then??? I have asked that question a number of times in this thread and in other boards and conversations; it has been met with bullshit answers EVERY. TIME.

I got shouted down a couple of months ago when I brought this up. No longer. From this point forward, I will continue to post this question as the need arises.

quote:
If you are not 100% for business as usual, you are part of the problem. There is no middle ground.
If you wanna talk "business as usual", then I can give you my "business as usual" flight record when working the Swine Flu epidemic of 2009/2010. I can abso-freacking-lutely tell you it WAS "business as usual". Didn't miss a gd beat and flew PACKED planes with THOUSANDS of passengers for THOUSANDS of miles.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ok then, I'm out of this thread for good then. Sorry to kick the nest.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some information about the disease itself that may be of possible interest to many here. From the science journal Nature:

===================================

Mounting clues suggest the coronavirus might trigger diabetes

Evidence from tissue studies and some people with COVID-19 shows that the virus damages insulin-producing cells.

In mid-April, Finn Gnadt, an 18-year-old student from Kiel, Germany, learnt that he had been infected with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus despite feeling well. Gnadt’s parents had fallen ill after a river cruise in Austria, so his family was tested for virus antibodies, which are produced in response to infection.

Gnadt thought he had endured the infection unscathed, but days later, he started to feel worn out and exceedingly thirsty. In early May, he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and his physician, Tim Hollstein at the University Hospital Schleswig-Holstein in Kiel, suggested that the sudden onset might be linked to the viral infection.

In most people with type 1 diabetes, the body’s immune cells start destroying β-cells — which are responsible for producing the hormone insulin — in the pancreas, often suddenly. In Gnadt’s case, Hollstein suspected that the virus had destroyed his β-cells, because his blood didn’t contain the types of immune cells that typically damage the pancreatic islets where the β-cells live.

Diabetes is already known to be a key risk factor for developing severe COVID-191 and people with the condition are more likely to die. “Diabetes is dynamite if you get COVID-19,” says Paul Zimmet, who studies the metabolic disease at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia.

Now Zimmet is among a growing number of researchers who think that diabetes doesn’t just make people more vulnerable to the coronavirus, but that the virus might also trigger diabetes in some. “Diabetes itself is a pandemic just like the COVID-19 pandemic. The two pandemics could be clashing,” he says.

Their hunch is based on a handful of people such as Gnadt, who have spontaneously developed diabetes after being infected with SARS-CoV-2, and on evidence from dozens more people with COVID-19 who have arrived in hospital with extremely high levels of blood sugar and ketones, which are produced from fatty deposits in the liver. When the body doesn’t make enough insulin to break down sugar, it uses ketones as an alternative source of fuel. “In science, sometimes you have to start off with very small evidence to chase a hypothesis,” says Zimmet.

Researchers cite other evidence, too. Various viruses, including the one that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), have been linked with autoimmune conditions such as type 1 diabetes6. And many organs involved in controlling blood sugar are rich in a protein called ACE2, which SARS-CoV-2 uses to infect cells.

The latest clue comes from an experimental study in miniature lab-grown pancreases published last week suggests that the virus might trigger diabetes by damaging the cells that control blood sugar.

But other researchers are cautious about such suggestions. “We need to keep an eye on diabetes rates in those with prior COVID-19, and determine if rates go up over and above expected levels,” says Naveed Sattar, a metabolic-disease researcher at the University of Glasgow, UK.

To establish a link, researchers need more robust evidence, says Abd Tahrani, a clinician–scientist at the University of Birmingham, UK. “Well-constructed epidemiological cohort studies and mechanistic and experimental studies are needed,” he says.

One initiative is now under way. Earlier this month, an international group of scientists, including Zimmet, established a global database to collect information on people with COVID-19 and high blood-sugar levels who do not have a history of diabetes or problems controlling their blood sugar.

Cases are beginning to trickle in, says Stefan Bornstein, a physician at the Technical University of Dresden, Germany, who also helped to establish the registry. The researchers hope to use the cases to understand whether SARS-CoV-2 can induce type 1 diabetes or a new form of the disease. And they want to investigate whether the sudden-onset diabetes becomes permanent in people who’ve had COVID-19. They also want to know whether the virus can tip people who were already on their way to developing type 2 diabetes into a diabetic state.

The study in pancreatic organoids shows how SARS-CoV-2 could be damaging the organ8. Shuibing Chen, a stem-cell biologist at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York City, and her colleagues showed that the virus can infect the organoid’s α- and β-cells, some of which then die. Whereas β-cells produce insulin to decrease blood-sugar levels, α-cells produce the hormone glucagon, which increases blood sugar. The virus can also induce the production of proteins known as chemokines and cytokines, which can trigger an immune response that might also kill the cells, according to the study published in Cell Stem Cell on 19 June.

Chen says the experiments suggest that the virus can disrupt the function of key cells involved in diabetes — either by directly killing them or by triggering an immune response that attacks them.

The virus also attacked pancreatic organoids that had been transplanted into mice, and cells in liver organoids. The liver is important for storing and releasing sugar into the blood stream when it senses insulin.

The organoid study adds strength to the argument that SARS-CoV-2 might cause or worsen diabetes, but the paper itself is not enough to prove the link, says Tahrani.

There could be more going on than some scientists suggest, says Shane Grey, an immunologist at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research in Sydney, Australia. The virus could trigger an extreme inflammatory state, which would impair the ability of the pancreas to sense glucose and release insulin, and dampen the ability of the liver and muscles to detect the hormone, he says. This could trigger diabetes.

Fatigue and muscle loss caused by severe infection can also push people at risk of the condition into a pre-diabetic state, says Sattar. Only long-term studies will reveal what’s really going on, he says.

LINK

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
zipriderson, cut it out. Stop with the grandstanding victim bullshit. I don't want an explanation, an argument, or even so much as an 'OK'. I want you to stop making these remarks which some members don't realize are sarcasm. You're confusing matters and cluttering up the thread, all because your feelings are hurt. You are welcome to participate in this thread, but from this point on, stow the inscrutable, snarky remarks. Stop playing the victim. Don't tell me that you'll do so or that you don't think that you yaddayadda. Don't even say 'OK'. Just do as I ask. You are on the verge of really pissing me off with this unnecessary stuff.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Confirmed cases are increasing... but not dramatically.
It's mostly happening in areas of California, Texas (Houston) and Florida (Miami) ...
and deaths remain on a downtrend.

This was to be expected as things open up.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Confirmed cases are increasing... but not dramatically.
[snip]
I hope everyone realizes there is a VAST difference between number of infections (cases) and the infection rate, correct?? Yes...NEW cases may have increased lately due to the increased testing of XXXX more people. So the question is, to obtain those 35,023 new cases, how many people were tested? 35,023? 350,230? 3,502,300? 35,023,000?

See how these numbers can be manipulated when we're not talking apples to apples?? I'm not concerned in the LEAST about total number of cases. I'm VERY interested in the total INFECTION RATE. As to what I continue to harp on and compare to...the 60,800,000 cases of Swine Flu...we're barely scratching the surface.

The number of cases is absolutely USELESS if we don't know the total number of people tested. Am I making sense at all??

Edit:
Found my numbers.....
Total Tests - 29,339,757
Total Cases - 2,848,081
Infection Rate of tested - 9.71%
Infection Rate of U.S.* - 0.868%

In contrast.....
Infection Rate of U.S.* (H1N1) - 19.66%

* Based on 2019 estimated population of 328,200,000
** I could not find any numbers to substantiate an estimated Infection Rate of H1N1

So NOW some of you may start to understand exactly WHY I post the "EVERYBODY PANIC" gif when we start talking numbers.

EDITED POST: In 2010, the population of the U.S. was only 309,300,000. Therefore, the infection rate of H1N1 was miscalculated and NOT 18.53% as originally stated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: erj_pilot,

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The number of cases is absolutely USELESS if we don't know the total number of people tested. Am I making sense at all??

Yes, you are. But...
I understand it is only one metric, and it gives us incomplete information because not ALL people are tested.
By that logic ALL people must be tested EVERYDAY or the information is absolutely USELESS.
I just don't think that's true. We can get useful information about where this virus is most prevalent without testing everyone.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Here is the information showing both the number of tests as well as positivity rate. Tests are going up as well as the percentage of positive tests. There is a silver lining there though. While both testing and positives are increasing, the daily averages of positives are not jumping as dramatically as they would have you believe.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine died today from Coronavirus. She was diagnosed on May 25 and had to be intubated on May 27. She was overall a healthy, active person and not high risk except for being 51 years old.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that Suppressed, so far I have only lost one family member, but she was over 90. 51 and healthy is a real shame.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post