SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
News article:
===============================

'I thought this was a hoax': Patient in 30s dies after attending 'COVID party'

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (WOAI/KABB) – A patient in their 30s died from the coronavirus after attending what's being called a "COVID party," according to a San Antonio health official.

Chief Medical Officer of Methodist Healthcare Dr. Jane Appleby said the idea of these parties is to see if the virus is real.

"This is a party held by somebody diagnosed by the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected," Dr. Appleby said.

According to Appleby, the patient became critically ill and had a heartbreaking statement moments before death.

"Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said 'I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it's not,'" Appleby said.

Appleby made this case public as the spike in cases for Bexar County continues. She wants everyone, especially those in the younger demographic, to realize they are not invincible.

"It doesn't discriminate and none of us are invincible," Appleby said. "I don't want to be an alarmist, and we're just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realize that this virus is very serious and can spread easily."

In fact, she said the positivity rate has jumped to 22 percent.

"This is a concerning increase from a positive rate of about five percent only several weeks ago," Dr. Appleby said.

Thursday night, the city was reporting nearly 18,000 cases, with more than 1,200 patients in the hospital system.

LINK

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Hope for you it’s not the rona kkina.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Thanks, Buddy. It seems to be over now, but boy whatever is was, it was nasty.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know about the accuracy of the antibody tests?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
News article:
===============================

'I thought this was a hoax': Patient in 30s dies after attending 'COVID party'

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (WOAI/KABB) – A patient in their 30s died from the coronavirus after attending what's being called a "COVID party," according to a San Antonio health official.

Chief Medical Officer of Methodist Healthcare Dr. Jane Appleby said the idea of these parties is to see if the virus is real.

"This is a party held by somebody diagnosed by the COVID virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected," Dr. Appleby said.

According to Appleby, the patient became critically ill and had a heartbreaking statement moments before death.

"Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said 'I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it's not,'" Appleby said.

Appleby made this case public as the spike in cases for Bexar County continues. She wants everyone, especially those in the younger demographic, to realize they are not invincible.

"It doesn't discriminate and none of us are invincible," Appleby said. "I don't want to be an alarmist, and we're just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realize that this virus is very serious and can spread easily."

In fact, she said the positivity rate has jumped to 22 percent.

"This is a concerning increase from a positive rate of about five percent only several weeks ago," Dr. Appleby said.

Thursday night, the city was reporting nearly 18,000 cases, with more than 1,200 patients in the hospital system.

LINK

Is she the only one that caught the virus? And died? The Covid party thing is a hoax without additional details. — oops, guess I better read the linked article.

She died of stupidity not the Covid.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
What an absolutely perfect propaganda piece. There couldn't possibly be any better propaganda.

And I don't believe they said any such thing. Who witnessed this remark? Just the nurse? No other witnesses?

Stop lying to us.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Well...if you have to don a face mask, this might be apropos for some. Smile

Get It Here

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
After another 3 days of watching the general public mis-operate their .gov promoted masks, I am more than ever convinced that they are valuable only as low-Juju talismans for the superstitious.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-p...r-retraction-n636361

HCQ Helps Contain COVID-19 Cases: New Evidence and a Major Retraction

The latest positive results come from Vadodara, India, where city officials have conducted a major study involving more than 300,000 people , including “health workers and other frontline staff.”

The administration has analysed a sample of over 1 lakh [lakh = 100,000] residents, who were mostly close contacts of positive persons and the effect of HCQ in containing the transmission of the virus.

According to the analysis, of the 48,873 close contacts of positive patients who took one dose of HCQ, 102 turned Covid-19 positive and 12 succumbed to the infection

whereas 48 of the 17,776 close contacts of positive patients who took two doses of HCQ turned positive and only one died.

The study also states that of the 33,563 close contacts of patients who took three HCQ doses, 43 tested positive and one died.

Local health official Dr. Devesh Patel told the paper, “It has shown positive results. We have the numbers and not one person has complained of complications. The only side effect reported is mild gastritis, which is common with administering heavy medicines and can be effectively handled.”

Dr. Mohammad Hussain, who runs Vadodara’s Faith Hospital, told the Express, “There are conflicting studies about the use of HCQ. While initially the US studies rejected it and cited side-effects, European countries backed its prophylactic use. In Vadodara, it has shown positive results. We have been able to restrict cases in clusters. Nagarwada no longer has a huge number of cases.”

Hussain reiterated that no serious side effects were reported.

While HCQ is no miracle cure, the evidence continues to mount that the drug is a safe and effective treatment or prophylactic measure against COVID-19.

Also on Friday, Retraction Watch reported that The Lancet, the prestigious Britsh medical journal — had quietly retracted and replaced an anti-HCQ editorial by Christian Funck-Brentano it had published in May.

A recent Lancet Article by Mandeep Mehra and colleagues, which reported adverse events associated with hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine treatment in patients with COVID-19, has been retracted by three of the authors, along with our linked Comment that provided a commentary on the Article and its findings, because the veracity of the data underlying this observational study could not be assured by the study authors.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
^^Thanks, Buddy. It seems to be over now, but boy whatever is was, it was nasty.

Just now got a chance to read here.

Very glad you got over it, my friend.

Hope you are feeling better and soon!

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Arigatou! My doctor thinks if it was Covid, my daily dose of 20mg Prednisone (for eczema) may have actually saved me, suppressing the immune system and preventing the cytokine storm. I could feel the infection just reaching my upper respiratory, then turning back for some reason.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It probably forgot its keys.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness, my friend.

Continued blessings for you!

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
What the??? Philly just cancelled all big events until February...panic much?

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.co...coronavirus/2466732/

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
They'll be reinstated the morning of 4-NOV.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Going to be a miracle

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
They'll be reinstated the morning of 4-NOV.

Heartily concur, of course it depends on the outcome.......

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I believe it'll be REGARDLESS of the outcome. WHEN Wink President Trump gets re-elected, I believe the Leftards and Demoshits will know they're defeated and give up on this latest HOAX. But WE cannot relax, as they'll just create the next bullshit Fake News on their list, set their sights on the 2024 election, and continue disparaging the Right/Conservative unabashedly.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534...vid-19-test-results/

Florida's positivity rate is skewed. #FOX35 went through #COVID19 test reports & found many clinics reporting 100% positivity.

@orlandohealth admits their number is wrong, saying it shows 98% positive, but it's actually 9.4%

An investigation by Fox 35 in Orlando discovered major errors in Florida’s daily report on COVID-19 tests with many clinics around the state reporting 100% or near-100% positivity

How could that be? FOX 35 News investigated these astronomical numbers, contacting every location mentioned. Orlando Health, the only to answer our question, confirmed errors in the report. Its positivity rate is in fact only 9.4 percent, not 98 percent as in the report.

FOX 35 News has yet to hear from the other labs or the Florida Department of Health to explain how the error could have been made on an official report.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Bad tests?

COVID spikes might be the result of bad tests

As soon as Republican-controlled states reopened, Fake News was reporting new infection spikes, while the numbers of new COVID-19 cases were dropping.

Three weeks later, as if answering the prayers of the anti-Trump talking heads, 2019-nCoV positive rates began to increase. Every state in the Union showed the same pattern, a diminishing epidemic that got a second wind, shutdown or not. But while new cases increase, deaths continue to decline. How can this be?

Epidemics follow a common pattern. They initially spread exponentially. The “WuFlu” showed a doubling in cases every 2.4 days. Genetic analysis and case history in China suggests that 2019-nCoV began in late October, so by the time it was hospitalizing elderly patients in early December, there would have been tens of thousands of infections. By the time the Chinese figured out what was going on in mid-January, there would have been 14 billion infections.

Well, there aren’t that many people in the world. Epidemics do not grow exponentially forever. As people recover from infections and become temporarily immune, the numbers of people that can catch or spread the virus diminish. The rate of new infections bends down into a “bell curve” or Gaussian. After peaking, the number of new infections exponentially diminishes. The longevity of a respiratory virus epidemic is about 120 days; they vanish almost as fast as they come.

For 2019-nCoV, we completely missed the rise. PCR testing from the USS Theodore Roosevelt showed positive for 1100 of the 4850 person crew, with 60% of those testing positive showing no symptoms. Antigen testing later showed that 60% of the crew, 2900 sailors may have been infected. That means 2019-nCoV produces no symptoms in 78% of infected people. Of the likely 2900 infections, only 9 (0.3%) were bad enough for hospitalization, and only 1 (0.03%) died. With 44,000 active cases in China by early December and only 130 hospitalizations, no wonder 2019-nCoV went by largely unnoticed. The “WuFlu” likely came to American shores in early January, and was probably around 33 million cases by March 1st. Even with that number of infected, there would have only been around 100,000 hospitalizations and 10,000 deaths. But “WuFlu” would have already been into the “bell” after infecting 10% of the country, and was likely already tailing off when the shutdowns began in mid-March.

Completely missing the rise, we completely missed the peak. Testing was far exceeded the day it began, and 2019-nCoV daily infections have been a reflection of the number of tests administered, until mid-May.

We observed the tail. Despite expanded testing, daily new cases dropped from mid-May, in every state, irrespective of shutdown or full open. Shutdowns had no effect on influenza, and assuming that 2019-nCoV spreads in a similar manner, likely had no effect on the “WuFlu”. Testing was observing a clear tail-off to 2019-nCoV, even after states reopened.

Until mid-June, when irrespective of partial shutdown or full open, every state began observing an increase in daily cases. But while cases increased, deaths continued to show the exponential tail of a vanishing epidemic.

Anecdote time.

There was a post on a closed FaceBook group from a nurse who claimed that her hospital tested the COVID test kits by returning opened, but unused swabs. Of the ten returned, all ten tested positive.

There was another post by a man who claimed that he received a mail-order test kit. While preparing to use the kit, he got distracted. When he returned, his worried wife had already hurriedly packed it up and the postman had already picked it up. The unused test came back positive.

An acquaintance related that a cousin visited a mobile testing center. The test returned positive, but the cousin never had a single symptom. No one in the cousin’s household developed any symptoms or ever tested positive. They only used the government-sponsored test because of curiosity, and are waiting on a chance to retest. Mum’s the word.

In early June, attempting to address demands for expanded testing, the FDA approved antigen and antibody tests for 2019-nCoV, and the Chinese flooded the U.S. with garbage test kits within a couple weeks. The Chinese had already had several test kit scandals, but states and municipalities, panicked for testing, bought them anyway. All but one of the dozen brands of the defective tests tested by U.C. Berkeley showed high false positive rates, and high false negative rates.

In a waning epidemic, false negatives aren’t a problem, but false positives can lead to the appearance of a flare-up, followed by foolhardy public policies, such as shutdown.

It is highly likely that the Chinese sold as “new” the test kits that were rejected in the rest of the world, possibly rebranded. It is a common sales practice of the Chinese to sell brand name rejects as unbranded or off-name items on Alibaba.

For example, my brother’s latest headache is an “American made” pellet grill. The manufacturer bought the electromechanical parts, identical to those used in a large, national brand of pellet grills, off of Alibaba. The control board showed clear signs of rework and the igniter trips the GFCI outlet if it tries to ignite while the fire is already going. This is a common problem with Chinese-made pellet grills, but the Chinese engineers blame it on the over-current feature of GFCI outlets… except that GFCI outlets offer no over-current protection. They operate on current imbalance (lost current). It’s just poor quality manufacturing that puts too little insulation around the heating element, leading to shorts to ground. The Chinese must know this basic electrical engineering, but came up with that nonsense to avoid sending garbage replacements for garbage parts. At least, I find it hard to believe that they don’t know this basic electrical engineering. Maybe I’m just being kind? The replacement igniter element was also defective.

The post-epidemic flare-up of 2019-nCoV cases with declining deaths is unprecedented and unexpected. The most reasonable explanation is defective testing. The lesson: China is garbage. Junk medicine and junk science made a mundane cold look like a weaponized super bug. Worse, that junk medicine has infiltrated our most esteemed institutions to twist and corrupt the minds of our experts, who now promote socialist agendas based on junk science. Every dollar Americans have spent on Chinese garbage over the last two decades has been used to purchase and corrupt iconic, formerly American corporations that now care more about social change and protecting China than turning a profit.

Given that 2019-nCoV cannot even cause a sniffle in 78% of those it infects, the numbers of COVID-19 deaths must be bogus too. Could free money for COVID deaths have encourage nursing homes and hospitals to lie?

https://www.americanthinker.co...lt_of_bad_tests.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post