SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Austin, TX, my once favorite city in America, has been absolutely decimated by Californian bitches for over a decade now. Who’d a thunk it? Today Austin passed some mask fine bullshit. You can be fined up to $2,000 if you don’t wear a mask in public by APD. Wow! Eek

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
That Sheriff just said the funniest thing I have heard since all this shit began. Don’t call me, call the Health Department. Maybe they (Health Department) can put up a little yellah light on the top of their car and they can stop people LMFAO! Damn! Hahaha.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
You can be fined up to $2,000 if you don’t wear a mask in public by APD. Wow! Eek
Any PD that's chickenshit enough to enforce these BS mandates 'should' be defunded.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Have a look before this is taken down:

https://youtu.be/wPs3_0vPv90

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Excellent video, thanks for posting.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Death By Policy

Mortality statistics show that many people have died from lockdown-related causes, not from Covid-19.

Many years ago, one of my duties as a young surgical intern was to fill out death certificates for recently deceased patients. Under “cause of death,” Part I asked for the immediate cause, other conditions leading to it, and the underlying cause. Part II asked for “other significant conditions contributing to death but not resulting in the underlying cause given in Part I.” If you think this is confusing, you’re right. Did the post-operative patient found dead in bed really die of a heart attack, a pulmonary embolism, or some operative complication, like bleeding? Where do you list their colon cancer or hypertension?

The task has not gotten any easier during the Covid-19 pandemic. People are still dying of heart disease, stroke, cancer, and accidents. But now there is a new respiratory illness to account for. Not every decedent who tested positive for the virus that causes Covid-19 died from it—in fact, the disease is mild for most people. Conversely, some deaths due to Covid-19 may be erroneously assigned to other causes of death because the people were never tested, and Covid-19 was not diagnosed. Nearly everyone dying of Covid-19 has concurrent health problems—the average decedent has 2.5 co-morbid conditions—and hypertension, heart disease, respiratory diseases, and diabetes are among the most common. The presence and interaction of these co-morbid conditions is what sometimes changes Covid-19 from a relatively benign disease into a killer. But co-morbidities can also cause death regardless of Covid-19.

A common way to distinguish the mortality burden of a new infectious agent from other causes of death is to estimate the excess deaths that occurred beyond what would be expected if the pathogen had not circulated. A recent study of 48 states and the District of Columbia estimated 122,300 excess deaths during the pandemic period of March 1 to May 30, compared with expected deaths calculated from the previous five years. Deaths officially attributed to Covid-19 accounted for 78 percent of the total; approximately 27,000 deaths (22 percent) were not attributed to Covid-19. A second study, using the same database with different statistical methods for the period March 1 to April 25, found that 65 percent of 87,000 excess deaths were attributed to Covid-19.

Only part of the discrepancy between excess deaths and official Covid deaths results from undercounting of Covid deaths. In New York City, when excess deaths between March 11 (the first recorded Covid-19 death) and May 2 were examined, only 57 percent had laboratory-confirmed Covid-19. Yet when probable deaths—deaths for which Covid-19, SARS-CoV-2, or an equivalent term was listed on the death certificate as an immediate, underlying, or contributing cause of death, but that did not have laboratory confirmation of Covid-19—were added in, 22 percent of excess deaths were still not attributed to Covid-19.

The indirect effect of the pandemic—deaths caused by the social and economic responses to the pandemic, including lockdowns—appears to explain the balance. For instance, people delayed needed medical care because they were instructed to shelter in place, were too scared to go to the doctor, or were unable to obtain care because of limitations on available care, including a moratorium on elective procedures.

Inpatient admissions nationwide in VA hospitals, the nation’s largest hospital system, were down 42 percent for six emergency conditions—stroke, myocardial infarction (MI), heart failure, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, appendicitis, and pneumonia—during six weeks of the Covid-19 pandemic (March 11 to April 21) compared with the six weeks immediately prior (January 29 to March 10). The drop was significant for all six conditions and ranged from a decrease of 40 percent for MI to 57 percent for appendicitis. No such decrease in admissions was found for the same six-week period in 2019. These emergency conditions did not become any less lethal as a result of the pandemic; rather, people simply died from acute illnesses that would have been treated in normal times.

Deaths from chronic, non-emergent conditions also increased as patients put off maintenance visits and their medical conditions deteriorated. In the second study of excess deaths, the five states with the most Covid-19 deaths from March through April (Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania), experienced large proportional increases in deaths from non-respiratory underlying causes, including diabetes (96 percent), heart diseases (89 percent), Alzheimer’s disease (64 percent), and cerebrovascular diseases (35 percent). New York City—the nation’s Covid-19 epicenter during that period—experienced the largest increases in non-respiratory deaths, notably from heart disease (398 percent) and diabetes (356 percent).

Cancer diagnoses were delayed for months as patients were unable to obtain “elective” screening procedures. For some, this will result in more advanced disease. Diagnosed cancer cases—normally treated with surgery or inpatient medical treatments—were treated with outpatient treatments instead. While some oncologists rationalized that the results might be just as good, physicians were clearly deviating from the standard of care.

The lockdowns led to wide unemployment and economic recession, resulting in increased drug and alcohol abuse and increases in domestic abuse and suicides. Most studies in a systematic literature review found a positive association between economic recession and increased suicides. Data from the 2008 Great Recession showed a strong positive correlation between increasing unemployment and increasing suicide in middle aged (45–64) people. Ten times as many people texted a federal government disaster mental-distress hotline in April 2020 as in April 2019.

As we consider how to deal with resurgent numbers of Covid cases, we must acknowledge that mitigation measures like shelter-in-place and lockdowns appear to have contributed to the death toll. The orders were issued by states and localities in late March; excess deaths peaked in the week ending April 11. Reopening began in mid-April, and by May 20 all states that had imposed orders started to lift restrictions. In June, as the economy continued reopening, excess deaths waned.

Our focus must be on ensuring that the health-care system can simultaneously treat Covid-19 and other maladies and reassuring patients that it is safe to seek care. Otherwise, today’s young physicians will have to start entering a new cause of death on death certificates—“public policy.”

Joel Zinberg, M.D., J.D., is an associate clinical professor of surgery at the Mount Sinai Icahn School of Medicine in New York and was general counsel and senior economist at the Council of Economic Advisers 2017–2019, where he specialized in health policy. The views expressed here are his own.

https://www.city-journal.org/d...of-lockdown-policies

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Good article. Thank you for posting.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
So I'm a department chair at work (a school), and we just got the draft of our schedule/'rona plan for the 2020-2021 academic year.

Even if we are physically in the building, we're losing a minimum of 25% of our instructional contact time across the board. Co- and extra-curriculars are basically a no-go for the year, regardless, and athletics may be also a wash. Area heads of school are all going to decide at the end of summer.

A 25% loss is close to crippling (and in my MS classes, I'm literally losing 50% of my contact time, down to 2 45-min meetings per week).

And that's just in the best case scenario when every kid is on campus. The invisible lost time of a hybrid model (either on/off weeks or half the kids in, half the kids out at a given time) or online model are even greater.

This is the "new normal": we're selling our kids up shit creek without a paddle because of media sensationalism and leftist authoritarianism.

Fuck them one and all.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the Havana solution. Here:

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Due to increased demand, the Mississippi Alcoholic Beverage Control is stopping orders so it can keep up.

From July 10 to July 20, ABC is temporarily suspending the ability to place liquor orders.

ABC says they have a 29% increase in case sales over the last four months; they’ve shipped more than 1.3 million cases of wine and spirits in that time.

They will continue to ship out the 100,000 cases in their system as orders are suspended.

LINK: https://www.wlox.com/2020/07/1...s-halts-orders-days/

Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I followed the thread early but not so much lately.

Have any members contracted it and post first hand experiences?

I contracted it this week symptoms began last night. I was tested and it was positive.

This virus is an ass kicker. Fever at 101.7 - 101.5 without tylenol. I am absolutely exhausted. This is easily as bad as the worse flu I have ever had.

I have never lost time before, I am so lethargic I drift off the sleep and drift back to consciousness without realizing I was sleeping. I look at the time and an hour passed, and I didn't realize it.

Anyone heard from GA Gator?

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Even if we are physically in the building, we're losing a minimum of 25% of our instructional contact time across the board. Co- and extra-curriculars are basically a no-go for the year, regardless, and athletics may be also a wash.
And my first response to this would be...why? We're being told how things are going to be by a lot of people without any explanation or Q&A at all. I think it incumbent on all of to put the screws to these people and make them explain their decisions.

quote:
Area heads of school are all going to decide at the end of summer.
Just curious but why are the schools administrators making these decisions? I would hope such sweeping decisions would either be made at the school board level and/or through the city/county mayor's office.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Due to increased demand, the Mississippi Alcoholic Beverage Control is stopping orders so it can keep up.

From July 10 to July 20, ABC is temporarily suspending the ability to place liquor orders.

ABC? WTF?
What kind of commie state do you live in?
Wouldn't it be better to have a free-market to handle supply disruptions in this essential industry?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Look we just eliminated Prohibiton last week. The ABC board has been in charge forever. It is a short drive to LA to get whatever you need at a much lower price. See below:

The state of Mississippi is officially ending Prohibition, almost 90 years after alcohol was legalized in the United States. A new law allowing the possession of alcohol in every county in Mississippi was signed into law by Gov. Tate Reeves on Tuesday. It will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2021.Jul 2, 2020

posted Hide Post
Are the counties that Gov Reeves just mandated face masks in public the higher populated areas in Mississippi?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
The city of Augusta GA just instituted a mandatory mask policy for 30 days (following Atlanta, Athens, and a few others). The governor, however, says it's unenforceable.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the counties that Gov Reeves just mandated face masks in public the higher populated areas in Mississippi?

^^^^^^^^^^^
The metro area in Jackson, the two coastal counties and the county near Memphis are the most populated. There have been outliers in the past that are very rural areas as well. The Choctaw reservation has a high rate of infection and death.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

quote:
Area heads of school are all going to decide at the end of summer.
Just curious but why are the schools administrators making these decisions? I would hope such sweeping decisions would either be made at the school board level and/or through the city/county mayor's office.

These are private schools in a league with no public schools, so the HOSs are the ultimate arbiters of the league.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
The city of Augusta GA just instituted a mandatory mask policy for 30 days (following Atlanta, Athens, and a few others). The governor, however, says it's unenforceable.

I bet the Masters gets the axe.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1088 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
What kind of commie state do you live in?
Wouldn't it be better to have a free-market to handle supply disruptions in this essential industry?

Pssssst. That's the stuff in the Mason jars.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post