SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asonie:
What if a bunch of us go to walmart this week and fill a cart with a random health and beauty item, just to see what happens? Like, what if I start walking around the store with a cart brimming with q-tips for an hour or so? Think I can create an artificial run of my own?

Load up your cart with maxi pads. Report back your findings.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4015 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
So, what was the first day the virus infected someone? Not the first reported case, the first day? How about the first case in the United States? Actual case and not just confirmed or reported. How many of those “flu” cases that didn’t test positive for Flu A or B in December were actually this virus?

I think you are correct. Many people had a "nasty cold" this winter that never sought treatment. A few more went to the doctor, tested negative for Influenza and were told "It's just some other virus going around".

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
No panic buying here so far, and I've seen only two face masks outside medical practices this week; one on an Asian lady, which isn't too unusual at other times. However, there are shortages on masks and disinfectants reported, and I heard a doctor lauding a staffer for ordering the latter along with the former when it was still easy while I was in for my regular skin cancer screening yesterday.

Well, what a difference a week makes. Made pancakes for lunch yesterday, saw that I was running low on flour and thought I should get some new if possible. Sure enough, the shelves for pasta, rice and flour looked like the DDR had made a comeback; in fact there was a note they were currently only selling up to four packs per customer of certain stuff like flour and sugar "due to circumstances". Saw a guy with five sixpacks of water bottles in his cart and thought WTF, are you preparing for the zombie apocalypse? Masks and disinfectants get stolen from hospitals, too - sometimes from stocks only accessible to staff.

I mean I, too, have doubled my usual stocks of daily consumables, which among other things means I'm buying another pack of anything as soon as the last bottle of the first of two is going into the fridge. But even that is already luxury stockpiling just so I don't have to change my habits without bothering anyone else to supply me if I should get quarantined at home for two weeks - it's not like the water will stop running from the tap, and unlike the chlorinated stuff you sometimes have in the US, it's actually readily drinkable without feeling like you swallowed a swimming pool. I think people are falling for global pop culture memes.

In reality we're still doing okay, with zero deaths despite 900-plus cases. One is being reported as critical, a guy who was on immunosuppressiva to prepare for an organ transplant. I think this is still the 47-year-old at the root of the North Rhine-Westphalia cluster who had several hospital appointments prior to being diagnosed and was quickly put on life support. Meanwhile the current flu season in Germany (which officially started in the second week of 2020, quite concurrently with COVID-19) has had an estimated 2.6 million cases seeing a doctor, of which ca. 120,000 confirmed by lab tests, and more than 200 deaths.

Not to speak of the national 2017/18 season, the worst for 30 years, which saw about nine million cases and 25,000 deaths (CFR ca. 0.28 percent). That actually strained the German healthcare system pretty hard (not least because a lot of staff also fell sick), and we definitely don't need another similar sickness on top of that. Saw an expert warn we should increase the number of intensive care beds to prepare for a comeback of COVID-19 in fall after a decline in summer. What everybody wants to avoid is a concentrated spike overwhelming the system, so the countermeasures actually make sense despite the economic damage - a customer (caterer) told me last week that cancellation of the International Tourism Fair (since done) would be a real hit to the Berlin service sector.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BansheeOne,

Posts: 2457 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Shipping from China is beginning to return to normal despite the Sky is falling mentality from the media...

https://gcaptain.com/cma-cgm-s...5f&mc_eid=94bc1ac706

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6482 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Shipping from China is beginning to return to normal despite the Sky is falling mentality from the media...

Do the Chinese charge extra for Wuhan contamination or is that considered that little something extra?

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17565 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

And the spread of the virus in China seems to have slowed.
Hopefully, it will soon slow in other "hot spots" around the world.

Here in St. Louis, we just got our first case:

The woman who tested positive for the virus returned home to St. Louis earlier this week from a study abroad trip in Italy. She went to Mercy Hospital St. Louis (615 S New Ballas Road) and was evaluated before being sent home to quarantine with her parents, who were not showing any signs of sickness.

Officials said the woman lives somewhere in St. Louis county and attends an out-of-state school but have not released any other personal information. They said she started developing symptoms on Wednesday and went to the hospital on Friday, where medical staff took every safety precaution possible from her arrival at the hospital to her dismissal.

https://www.riverfronttimes.co...-19-case-in-missouri

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24610 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Saw this a little while ago.

Someone who attended CPAC has tested Positive.

quote:
"The exposure occurred previous to the conference. A New Jersey hospital tested the person, and CDC confirmed the positive result," the event's organizer American Conservative Union tweeted on Saturday, referring to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The individual is quarantined and under medical care in New Jersey.

quote:
ACU chairman Matt Schlapp however told The Washington Post that he interacted with the infected person at the event -- and while the timeline is unclear, Schlapp shook Trump's hand on the stage on the last day of the conference.

link

Cue theatrical music!!!

(no claims nor hysteria here, just a joke and sharing the news)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Hopefully, it will soon slow in other "hot spots" around the world.

China's extreme measures are being credited for that. Measures similar to those undertaken, yesterday, by Italy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:

Do the Chinese charge extra for Wuhan contamination or is that considered that little something extra?

It's a feature, not a bug..

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Wow! Who'd a thunk it?!? People got sick and now they're getting better?? I'm AMAZED!!! Eek

That's not a slight on you in anyway, chellim1. I appreciate your fastidiousness in your posts on this topic. It is, however, a pithy comment on my continued DISDAIN for the Fake News created HYSTERIA of this total bullshit that is affecting my career and those of my brothers and sisters in aviation in the short-term, when it shouldn't have had an impact in the LEAST BIT. Just another TOTAL FABRICATION and in the President's words, a HOAX, for the Fake News to once again TRY to pin on President Trump.

https://www.dennisprager.com/w...ysteria-to-hysteria/

In the video below, Dennis mentions the statistic that in the United States ALONE, during the time period of 2017-2018, 61,000 people died from the flu. CDC Link Where was the hysteria? Can you imagine the utter TERROR that would rip through this country apart if 62,000 people die from Dos EquisXXX virus?? All fabricated bullshit...

Article to which Dennis refers in the above video... https://nypost.com/2020/01/23/...the-new-china-virus/

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Since March Madness is coming up, maybe we can have a SigForum “office pool”
Everyone throws in $5 , first member with a confirmed case of Corona virus wins the pot!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2940 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
... my continued DISDAIN for the Fake News created HYSTERIA of this total bullshit ... Just something for the Fake News to once again TRY to pin a TOTAL FABRICATION on President Trump.

Caught Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, on FOX News Sunday this morning. His advice: People with underlying conditions, particularly the elderly, should right now avoid places with crowded conditions, getting on airplanes and, above all, don't get on a cruise ship.

Is that "fake news," then?

And, if you have somebody at home that falls in the above "at risk" category due to age and/or underlying conditions, would it not also be prudent to avoid those same things so as to avoid potentially bringing the virus home? (I fall into this group due to my wife's health issues.) Or would that also be a sign of "HYSTERIA?"

He later went on to say "Don't get on a cruise ship. ... No one has told us not to say that and I'm saying it very clearly, now, on your show."

Guess he's just being "HYSTERICAL," too?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Caught Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, on FOX News Sunday this morning. His advice: People with underlying conditions, particularly the elderly, should right now avoid places with crowded conditions, getting on airplanes and, above all, don't get on a cruise ship.

And, if you have somebody at home that falls in the above "at risk" category due to age and/or underlying conditions, would it not also be prudent to avoid those same things so as to avoid potentially bringing the virus home? (I fall into this group due to my wife's health issues.) Or would that also be a sign of "HYSTERIA?"

He later went on to say "Don't get on a cruise ship. ... No one has told us not to say that and I'm saying it very clearly, now, on your show."

I would say those are precautions for "at-risk" and "immuno-compromised" individuals to adhere to AT ALL TIMES. Respectfully, it doesn't have thing one to do with this Coronavirus. That's EVERY DAY!!! My 85 year old mother thinks this is as much of a joke than I. Apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Yes...it IS hysteria. Fabricated hysteria.

I've made my point and said my peace. I'm out...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
... my continued DISDAIN for the Fake News created HYSTERIA of this total bullshit ... Just something for the Fake News to once again TRY to pin a TOTAL FABRICATION on President Trump.

Frankly, yes he is. Unless he advises the same precautions every year during flu season. He has to say what he did because if he said otherwise, and an elderly or immune compromised person did happen to catch this particular virus and die, he would be crucified in the media. He's playing it safe. Plain and simple.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30927 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
It's a danger, but it's vastly overblown by the media.

An employee at my place of work just tested positive (CT's first confirmed case, as I posted earlier). They live in Westchester NY and it's assumed they got it there.

Last night we had a Webex hosted by our head of infectious diseases and our infection control department. The information given was that COVID-19 is not spread by asymptomatic people and that the expected mortality rate will be about the same as the flu. People over 80 are affected the worst and could have a mortality rate as high as 35-40 percent.

Not good, but not the end of the world as we know it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16641 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I am assistant coach for my 6 year old's lacrosse team. First game is April 4, with practices T and Th starting the 24th of March.

There are 10 kids on the team, most of which attend the same school as my kid. There are however, 1 or 2 kids (I don't know them or their parents) who go to a school called St. Anne's in Denver.

This is the St. Anne's (https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/06/st-annes-episcopal-school-denver-closed-coronavirus/) that closed early on Friday and is closed Monday and Tuesday for possible Corona virus contamination. A parent (we know who it is) is the possible contaminant.

Am I hysterical for considering that I don't want these kids to practice with my kids?

On top of that, my head coach is good friends with the parent in question. It's very likely they have been together in the last week or two, or their kids have.

Corona virus, or normal flu, I think I am right to be hesitant. What say you?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
From Tarl Warwick, my favorite ex-Satanist political commentor.

Lyrics:

Ooh, my little viral one, viral one
When you gonna give me a test for corona?
Ooh, you make my ventilator, lotsa fun
Got it coming off of my skin corona

Never gonna stop, hack it up, such a dirty mind
I always get it up, when I think how I might die
Die Die Die Die Die!

D-D-D-Die of corona!

Come a little closer, huh, a-will ya, huh?
Close enough to sneeze on my eyes, corona
Filling up with disease, cough on my cleats
Running in my veins and my mind, corona

Die Die Die Die Die!

D-D-D-Die of corona!
D-D-D-Die of corona!

When you gonna give to me, your viral sleaze
Is it just a matter of time, corona?
Is it d-d-destiny, d-destiny
Or is it the end of mankind, corona?
Die Die Die Die Die!

D-D-D-Die of corona!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32033 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Frankly, yes he is. Unless he advises the same precautions every year during flu season.

Except, some folks' insistence otherwise, there are several significant differences between SARS-CoV-2 and seasonal influenza:

• SARS-CoV-2 has an exceptionally long incubation period compared to most common influenza: 2-3 weeks as compared to 2-3 days
  • It is believed to be significantly more contagious and virulent than influenza. It is also highly contagious during its incubation period, whereas flu is not so much
  • It has been tested to survive on some surfaces for up to nine (9) days--significantly longer than the average flu virus, which average more in the range of hours
  • The human population has built up a degree of herd immunity to influenza. SARS-CoV-2 is brand new, so that does not obtain
  • Unlike influenza: There are no vaccinations or anti-virals for SARS-CoV-2
  • There's some initial evidence to suggest Covid-19 may be significantly more deadly than influenza

Personally, I am of the opinion Dr. Fauci is neither hysterical nor panicking. I feel he's offering sound, reasonable precautionary advice.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have a serious question for all of those who have bought into the media hype.

If I take my normal flu season precautions (which even the hystericals admit is the best course of action), am I any more likely to contract the virus than those who are cleaning out the bank account because they have bought into the automated power grid going down, or the virus knocking over a liquor store down on Jackson Street?

The “experts” admit that the precautions are the same. Are the hysterical any more immune for this disease? If I don’t buy into the “suggestions” that the virus is more deadly, blah blah blah, than the flu (or the swine flu, bird flu, SARS, or any ghost of panic past) am I going to catch the virus faster because I refuse to be terrified of it? Will the virus kidnap one of my kids and cut off a finger to send back to me to show me it means business because I’m not giving it its “props”?

Because that’s certainly what it feels like when I read these posts quoting made up statistics and numbers of this and that. It really seems to be another snake oil sale.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37190 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
the virus knocking over a liquor store down on Jackson Street?

Hey now!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12692 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post