SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

As to Dr Drew and his claim, he is a has been just trying to grab that fame thing again.

I thought the same thing but it doesn't change the fact that what he said is spot on. I was in the grocery store today and the toilet paper aisle was empty except for a few single-ply rolls.

People need to just live there lives.

Maybe don't travel to Aisa or get on a cruise ship but society in the USA is not going to collapse from this.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I've been down hard for the last 4 days w flu symptoms.

This helped me evaluate whether it was coronavirus or not

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-symptoms/a-52233885

At first glance, symptoms for the new coronavirus, otherwise known as 2019-nCoV, are similar to those we know as a common cold or flu.

Common coronavirus symptoms can include:

— Fever
Dry cough
— Shortness of breath
— Aching muscles
— Fatigue

Less typical coronavirus symptoms:

— Phlegm buildup
— Headache
— Hemoptysis
— Diarrhea

Symptoms atypical for coronavirus:

— Runny nose
— Sore throat

A runny nose and a sore throat are typical signs of upper respiratory infection. Therefore, those who have bouts of sneezing or get the sniffles likely have the flu or a common cold.

As the new coronavirus generally affects the lower respiratory tract, most of those infected exhibit a dry cough, shortness of breath or pneumonia, but not a sore throat.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

if the above is true, I have the old fashioned common every day flu. First time I was glad of a runny nose, sore throat, and spitting up yellow gunk.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
I've been down hard for the last 4 days w flu symptoms.

This helped me evaluate whether it was coronavirus or not

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-symptoms/a-52233885

At first glance, symptoms for the new coronavirus, otherwise known as 2019-nCoV, are similar to those we know as a common cold or flu.

Common coronavirus symptoms can include:

— Fever
Dry cough
— Shortness of breath
— Aching muscles
— Fatigue

Less typical coronavirus symptoms:

— Phlegm buildup
— Headache
— Hemoptysis
— Diarrhea

Symptoms atypical for coronavirus:

— Runny nose
— Sore throat

A runny nose and a sore throat are typical signs of upper respiratory infection. Therefore, those who have bouts of sneezing or get the sniffles likely have the flu or a common cold.

As the new coronavirus generally affects the lower respiratory tract, most of those infected exhibit a dry cough, shortness of breath or pneumonia, but not a sore throat.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

if the above is true, I have the old fashioned common every day flu. First time I was glad of a runny nose, sore throat, and spitting up yellow gunk.

Actually, the flu, the common cold, COVID-19, and even SARS (though no new cases for more than a decade) or MERS (unlikely in the extreme, but possible), are likely to have very similar initial symptoms depending on virus load on exposure, elapsed time from exposure, method of exposure, where you've been and who you are. And branch off into different outcomes, at different times in the disease sequence, depending on same.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Shipping from China is beginning to return to normal despite the Sky is falling mentality from the media...

And the spread of the virus in China seems to have slowed.
Hopefully, it will soon slow in other "hot spots" around the world.

Here in St. Louis, we just got our first case:

The woman who tested positive for the virus returned home to St. Louis earlier this week from a study abroad trip in Italy. She went to Mercy Hospital St. Louis (615 S New Ballas Road) and was evaluated before being sent home to quarantine with her parents, who were not showing any signs of sickness.

Officials said the woman lives somewhere in St. Louis county and attends an out-of-state school but have not released any other personal information. They said she started developing symptoms on Wednesday and went to the hospital on Friday, where medical staff took every safety precaution possible from her arrival at the hospital to her dismissal.

https://www.riverfronttimes.co...-19-case-in-missouri

It gets better, she rode on an Amtrak from Chicago to St. Louis and her dad and sister went to a father daughter dance, breaking the "voluntary quarantine."

Morons

In other news, Iowa got its first cases, 3 in Johnson County (Iowa City). Evidently two were on a cruise ship in Egypt recently.

Posts: 2602 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ I've also spent the weekend getting over what must have been a rhinovirus-drippy stuff nose and sinus pressure. It knocked me out for a day and Sunday for catching up. no fever, cough, or shortness of breath to speak of. Even so, I will consider myself on work release with minimal trips to the store for additional supplies for this next week.

Vitamin D3 does not seem to be in short supply on Amazon. 10k IU daily for the next month or so.

Posts: 3598 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
CNN is absolutely ridiculous. Every time I check their site, which is painful but I like to take the liberal temperature, the headline is: Coronavirus cases pass 420. Pass 470. Pass 500. Pass 520. There is no doubt they are a national embarrassment and should have their FCC license revoked. This is fear mongering strictly for ratings and their political agenda.

They are an absolute disgrace - never mind CDC estimates 61K people died of influenza in the USA last year, or 167 ppl per day.

CNN is just a tool to grind a political axe and this coronavirus is just another way to do that while grabbing ratings.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, for holding down Fort Reason, despite constant attacks from the armies of Panic and Hysteria. With Jones and Rhino on Snark Patrol, and Para dropping Reality Bombs, we're in good hands.

I haven't seen a single minute of news coverage on it that wasn't posted here, and even then only select parts. Sounds like I'm not missing anything useful. Way to be...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yep.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...910017564#1910017564

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44479 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I love the other thing the MSM fails to report about all of the 'deaths'.

The same who are likely to die from the flu. Over 60, compromised immune systems, other health problems.

https://medicalxpress.com/news...ronavirus-dying.html

The leftist media wants everyone to think the zombie apocalypse is coming and completely healthy people are dying left and right from the coronavirus.

But that's just not the case...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We got a runner

I spent my summers as a kid in Clayton, all my cousins went to Burroughs. Your looking at a rich white girl from a family that thinks the rules don’t apply to them.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Where you goin', Biscuit?"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44479 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I have a sore throat. How many cases of toilet paper do I need?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
I have a sore throat. How many cases of toilet paper do I need?

None, you need 3 cases of Lysol disinfecting wipes, swallow one wipe every 30 minutes and you'll be fine!!! LOLOLOL

Posts: 21414 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
So, don't swallow any more tide pods?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s in addition to the tide pods.

Posts: 721 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We got a runner

At least it was for something really important.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21119 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

— Shortness of breath
— Aching muscles
— Fatigue
— Headache
— Diarrhea

Eek Oh shit, I'm patient zero! I've had COVID-19 for years!

Posts: 21361 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.theguardian.com/wo...s-spreading-covid-19

Best I have found...

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2150 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Well, the weather is turning here in Ohio and it’s looking like we may have an early Spring, along with all the plant growth and pollen that entails. I expect once allergies start kicking in, everyone will loose their fucking minds for about a week, then give up once they realize everyone who coughs or sneezes isn’t going to die or get knocked on their ass for a week.

I sure don’t want to get COVID-19, but I look at the current efforts as sort of a ‘fire drill’, and I think the response is out of proportion with the real danger. I decided to look up some CDC info on good ‘ole influenza B a week or two ago. Influenza B is one of the nastier strains out there and often has one of the higher mortality rates among the pool of different flu strains. So far in the 2019-2020 flu season, the CDC was reporting that it had killed about 6600 people in the US, including about 80 children. The overall mortality rate was pretty close to the preliminary numbers for COVID-19 at the time, but it was a little worse on younger folks and a little better on older folks. If China’s information is accurate, COVID-19 hasn’t killed anyone under the age of 9 yet, which is a good thing.

What I can’t really find convincing info on is how communicable COVID-19 is versus Influenza B. Anecdotally, it seems like COVID might spread faster or more easily, but I’m having a hard time finding primary sources that say that, so don’t take it as gospel. In terms of risk of death, the Black Plague is still worse than both (about 10% with modern treatment, if Wikipedia is accurate), but doesn’t spread as easily anymore with modern hygiene.

So as far as I can tell, the thing to be afraid of with COVID-19 isn’t lots of people dying, but just spreading quickly and overwhelming available care providers. It doesn’t really matter how many people get it, its just matter how fast, and how many get it all at once. the Flu is kind of similar in that respect. You just don’t want too many folks to get it all at once and overload the hospitals. I’m pretty sure that is one of the big ‘features’ of a vaccine: it slows down the spread. However, I don’t have data to back that up so I am speculating there.

Bottom line: COVID-19 sucks, but doesn’t seem to justify the level of attention and response it is getting. Of course, I’m not an epidemiologist so I admit I may not understand everything well enough.

- Bret

Posts: 2476 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post