SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
We talked about pulling out some cash, it's just sitting there not earning anything, how's that different from sitting in the house not doing anything? Not sure I'm going to bother with it, if we are to the point of infrastructure collapse, cash is just paper, guess we could use it as TP though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Reading this thread reminds me of the fire drill episode of “The Office”.

Oh my God, now the fire is shooting at us”

The virus is going to take out the power grid?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37190 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
We talked about pulling out some cash, it's just sitting there not earning anything, how's that different from sitting in the house not doing anything? Not sure I'm going to bother with it, if we are to the point of infrastructure collapse, cash is just paper, guess we could use it as TP though.

I like to keep about $500 in cash or so in my safe.....along with some silver coins and a couple prepaid credit cards ($200 on each).

Posts: 4057 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Well, there is a big asteroid coming too. But it's gonna miss. Maybe.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

The concern, possibly more than a bit over-blown, is the virus may put so many people out-of-commission power delivery may become unreliable.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

The concern, possibly more than a bit over-blown, is the virus may put so many people out-of-commission power delivery may become unreliable.

Oh for Pete’s sake.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4015 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
A virus, that has infected a fraction of one percent of the US population in a MONTH’S time is going to take out enough employees of any given power company to take the grid down.

Got it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37190 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
The power industry is almost all automated. They have redundant systems.

Posts: 17501 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Being in the target zone for this, age almost 70 & have a chronic lung condition. I have been more keen lately on washing my hands and watching where I put them. I also this year got the flu shot and the first of two Pneumonia inoculation injections. So come on Corona or whatever is up next I'm as ready as can be!
Ps And I have adequate supplies "as always".

Posts: 4445 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
I had a rather anti-gun acquaintance of mine down the road teasing me because I wasn't stocking up on "necessities" yet. "There's a good chance I'll be lucky enough to be able to wipe my ass if toilet paper is scarce" to which I replied that assuming we both were healthy that if we play the game "Rock, toilet paper, guns and ammo" that my guns and ammo would trump him every time.

He didn't seem to find that as humorous as I did.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3356 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Well, it's in my county now.

All our administrators have been working on these "C-19 taskforces". All the local schools are on the verge of going ballistic.

We've already been told to make plans for shutting down for 2 weeks on a moment's notice. I shit you not, they told us to pack "go bags" of our essential resources so we could work from home. To hear your typical white liberal academic use the term "go bag" was...extraordinary. Roll Eyes

They're telling us to help calm the kids down, but at the same time walk them through the online resources we're going to use for remote classes. A balancing act easier said than done with teenagers.

I am not looking forward to having to do 2 weeks of video conference classes with kids from my house.

I fear it's only a matter of time, too. They just cancelled all the international trips that were coming up during spring break in a few weeks, as well as a major lacrosse tournament and some other stuff. Our Chinese international students are forbidden from going home for break.

Sigh. At least I got a big pack of TP last week, because the local stores are all out. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
A virus, that has infected a fraction of one percent of the US population in a MONTH’S time is going to take out enough employees of any given power company to take the grid down.

Got it.

To be fair, infection rates can grow exponentially.

If everyone infects two people a week after they get sick, then from one initial infection, you have 1000 people that have gotten sick after 10 weeks, 1 million people that have gotten sick after 20 weeks, and 1 billion people that have gotten sick after 30 weeks.

Of course, that's a huge oversimplification and ignores a lot of factors, but in general outline, that sort of thing CAN happen.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm more concerned with the chicken heart, I stocked up on lots of jello.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44479 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'm more concerned with the chicken heart, I stocked up on lots of jello.

Now that's going old school Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15805 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little perspective. It is 1950 but pretty accurate as to the fears and hype. Actually a pretty good film noir:

Posts: 17501 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was out to Sam's Club in Erie, PA this afternoon and everything was as normal as usual.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
From a news report I didn't bother linking to because everything they mentioned has already showed up here...except for this little gem-

"And Starbucks on Friday night reported that one of its employees in downtown Seattle had tested positive."

So the macchiato's were coming with something extra? Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15805 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Got it.

Yeah, I would not be looking to get cash out or buy metals or do other “prepping” because of this virus. Of course, I believe in having some cash on hand, having some food, water, and supplies on hand in general just in case. This virus doesn’t seem like any reason to change defcon level.

Posts: 7090 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2 got infected in my county today (Broward County,FL) I'm going out to Benihana's for dinner, sitting elbow to elbow with strangers and breathing food fumes.....hehehehe

Posts: 21414 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well, this is about 30mi from my house, and there are three cases in Montgomery county which as the crow flies is 7 miles from my house (25 in a car).

ACU says CPAC attendee tested positive for coronavirus

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21122 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post