SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We got a runner

quote:
Family of Missouri's first coronavirus patient broke self-quarantine, attended school dance

As long as it's fun --- what's the problem? Red Face

Posts: 2561 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
https://www.theguardian.com/wo...s-spreading-covid-19

Best I have found...

Actually pretty good. An addendum though - during the 2018 flu season - in the US - over 700,000 were hospitalized and about 80,000 died. The peak mortality rate was 10%, sustained over weeks. From influenza. So "deadlier than the flu" becomes a moot point, at this particular juncture.

It very much remains to be seen how this pandemic plays out, and if current infection rates are sustained, it could well reach the seasonal rate for influenza in the US - which would be around 50 million. Or not.

It appears to be not a very fast-mutating virus, a vaccine is very much in the works, current antivirals being tested appear to be effective, there could be some sustained immunity from previous contact with other, similar viruses, and the index source of the infection appears to be leveling out or even falling, indicating SARS-CoV-2 could be fading back into the jungle from whence it came, at least in the place where it came from. We shall see.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
We got a runner

quote:
Family of Missouri's first coronavirus patient broke self-quarantine, attended school dance

As long as it's fun --- what's the problem? Red Face

Honestly, does it really matter?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
Well, the virus just hit home for me. My son and I have been fundraising and saving money for our High School Orchestra trip to New York city.

We were scheduled to leave on the bus this Weds.

Well, I just got a call that there is an emergency meeting after school today to discuss cancelling the trip due to the virus.

Bunch of High School Seniors will not be happy if they cancel today.

Posts: 318 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A bit of humor in all this doom and gloom. This is me 100%

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
My company just sent an email; all non-essential travel is restricted. This affects 50,000 employees. I'll be glad when this is over.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 996 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It appears to be not a very fast-mutating virus, a vaccine is very much in the works, current antivirals being tested appear to be effective, there could be some sustained immunity from previous contact with other, similar viruses, and the index source of the infection appears to be leveling out or even falling, indicating SARS-CoV-2 could be fading back into the jungle from whence it came, at least in the place where it came from. We shall see.

Thanks, Doc. Good news.
If the trajectory is anything like what it was in China, we probably have 6 more weeks or so of increasing "community spread" here in the US before it levels off and starts fading here. Disruptive?, sure. But TEOTW, no!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm still perplexed by this whole run on toilet paper thing.

I understand Australia is basically out of TP as they don't produce their own TP and rely on places like China for their supply.

The US does produce their own toilet paper and there was a piece by some TP industry guy saying this is stupid as there are huge amounts of it made and it's not going to run out any time soon.

I went to Walmart this past Friday to pick up some charcoal briquettes for my grill and nearly everyone with a cart there had a pack or two or more of TP and bottled water.

I just don't get it; it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy as people say to themselves "I hear TP is getting hard to find!" then they run out and help MAKE IT HARD TO FIND by buying up all they see. Roll Eyes

If anything, this panic is going to open people's eyes to just how reliant we have become on China for way too many things and how dangerous that could be.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Thanks, Doc. Good news.
If the trajectory is anything like what it was in China, we probably have 6 weeks of increasing "community spread" here in the US before it levels off and starts fading here. Disruptive?, sure. But TEOTW, no!

Something else to consider is the way the Chinese handled the outbreak; by herding entire regions into collective quarantine areas, they all but assured the highest possible exposure rates possible, and consequently, the highest possible death rate. Their system, such as it is, was predictably overwhelmed. Here in the US, the spread is much slower, and can be dealt with by the medical community. The biggest danger is still the panic as we've seen from the buying and hoarding.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Something else to consider is the way the Chinese handled the outbreak

And lets not forget that the Chinese are VERY different culturally than us and would be perceived as being some dirty, nasty MF's by the western world.

I was just reading about a woman who had traveled and lived in China for years and gave one example that would horrify us; she was sitting in a nice upscale restaurant somewhere in China when this guy nearby just leans over in his seat, hocks up and spits a huge nasty loogie right on the floor. No one batted an eye apparently. Confused

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Went to Costco earlier. Strolled down the paper isle just out of curiosity. Yep, no TP.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Try living in a Hurricane area once it's reported that certain death, destruction and Cat X winds are coming your way.

You'll sell out bread, milk, water, canned goods, plywood, plastic, nails, screws, drills, hammers, gas, runs on cash machines....

People are like that, you hear enough times that TETOWAKI is coming your way and they over react.

You see 20 people with cases of TP in their carts and you figure you need one as well.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Real Impact of the Disease is on Health Care Systems: A normal flu season kills about 30,000 Americans each year. The impact of COVID 19 is not that the death numbers may eventually be higher, lower, or the same. The impact is that 20 percent of people are hospitalized, and of those hospitalized, 1 in 5 require ICU care / respirators to stay alive. Thus, the medical treatment systems get overwhelmed trying to keep people alive. There are not enough respirators. Thus, that was the craziness in Wuhan, and the construction of hospitals in 1 week etc.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I just don't get it; it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy as people say to themselves "I hear TP is getting hard to find!" then they run out and help MAKE IT HARD TO FIND by buying up all they see. Roll Eyes

Exactly.

A lot of this is similar in the 1973 "gas crisis".

Several events and actions did result in a small decrease to oil supplied from the OPEC, but many factors, from Nixon's price, control to the large oil companies stopping distribution to the smaller independent stations, led to the appearance of a "larger crisis", and then the reaction of the media and people, resulted in people "getting what you can, while you can".

Certainly, energy supplies were affected, but the greater impact and damage to the economy, society and a great number of things, was due to people's overreaction and making mountains out of molehills.

This "viral thinking" is a greater destructive force than most anything that we face from nature.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
While the typical flue virus can survive for up to 24 hours on an object, COVID 19 virus appears able to live for 72 hours in room temperature on surfaces where it lands. So use common sense avoid touching your eyes and mouth with your hands and wash your hands often, especially after touching high touch objects in public places like door knobs, shopping cart handles, etc.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
SARS-CoV-2 could be fading back into the jungle from whence it came, at least in the place where it came from. We shall see.

Doc,

Any thoughts on the possibility of a second outbreak this fall?

Thanks for all your info.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
An upside to this whole thing! YAY!

Hollywood won't be making as many shitty remakes and reboots! What a bummer!

How the Coronavirus Will Hurt Hollywood

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:

The SARS outbreak happened in 2002-03. There was no second outbreak. It's possible but probably too early to tell at this stage. Linky

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
SARS-CoV-2 could be fading back into the jungle from whence it came, at least in the place where it came from. We shall see.

Doc,

Thanks for all your info.

There are currently (at least) two strains of the virus - one significant mutation - so you could argue we've already seen a "second" outbreak. That's not unusual or unexpected, and in fact this virus doesn't show the same activity as some others, but some kind of variant at the end of the year wouldn't be surprising. And in fact the virus could well convert to a less infective strain for humans, which may be what we're seeing in the early stages - too soon to tell.

But I'm almost 100% confident that based on its behavior and origins, it's not leaving us, at least in the animal reservoir. So an effective vaccine is critical, and I really believe we'll see one sooner rather than later. I wouldn't be surprised to see some testing stages even accelerated (read, skipped) because of the (perceived) urgency, so also wouldn't be surprised by an announcement within a few months. This is a virus that, good or ill, will be part of the human condition, like a host of old friends we already know. Once the panic dies down, perhaps by Thanksgiving, it will largely be forgotten or part of the background noise, but best we are prepared to snuggle up for the rest of our collective existence, just a fact of nature.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post