SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I have a serious question for all of those who have bought into the media hype.

If I take my normal flu season precautions (which even the hystericals admit is the best course of action), am I any more likely to contract the virus than those who are cleaning out the bank account because they have bought into the automated power grid going down, or the virus knocking over a liquor store down on Jackson Street?

The “experts” admit that the precautions are the same. Are the hysterical any more immune for this disease?

Anymore immune no, in less contact with possibly infected people MAYBE.

I had a serious case of the flu which turned to Bronchitis for 2 weeks earlier this year. I sure as hell was glad that I didn't have to leave the house feeling miserable as hell to buy any food, water, or TP while I was sick or risk infecting others for those 2 weeks. My mom did bring a few small items and drop them off once or twice, but I didn't have to do any full scale grocery shopping or anything of that nature......I had enough of the essentials to not have to bother leaving the house while I felt totally miserable.

BUT, I don't know of your area, but in mine, the local Costco is a gold mine. During normal times, you are elbow to elbow with people all over the store, it doesn't matter what day or time of day the store is always packed, it's a very busy store, same with the grocery stores here. If the virus got a foothold in my area, not having to expose yourself to bumping into a bunch of people that walk around or go to work really sick (whether it be flu or coronavirus), infecting everyone they come in contact with, is just a bonus.

I was at Coldstone creamery the other night and a couple had 2 young kids maybe 4 and 6 years old. The 6 year old daughter was seriously sick and coughing all of the time while they're in line etc. and not even covering her mouth......for example.....inconsiderate jerks.....the mom or dad could've waited outside of the store with the daughter instead of subjecting the 14 people in line to it and everything in the store. The store is small with only 2 inside tables and they ended up eating at a table outside anyways.

I simply stock up on things I buy at Costco (tp, paper towels, water) just for the ease of I then only have to go there once every 6-8 weeks. But when I get down to 2 cases of water, I go back and buy 6-8 cases more and the other products I will need for the next 6-8 weeks. But the less I have to deal with bumping elbows with a thousand 60+ year old Northerners sniffling, coughing, and sneezing, the better. Or if a hurricane is coming, I don't have to fight the lines or worry about it. It's not like a case of toilet paper or water is going to go bad in the next year.

Posts: 21415 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
have a serious question for all of those who have bought into the media hype.

^^^^^^^
The guy that makes sense is Dr. Fauci, the same voice of reason when the AIDS epidemic began. The podcast posted earlier in this thread says it all. Admittedly it is a little cerebral as the interviewer is a physician from JAMA and Fauci is not hysterical. He states the facts, and the precautions one should take no more.

Posts: 17503 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
You’re a better man than me Jimmy. I would have asked them to take their sick crotch goblin outside. I’m of the belief that people need to be called out for this kind of crap.
Then again, in your neck of the woods you Do need to be a little more careful how you talk to people, ha ha.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are the hysterical any more immune for this disease? If I don’t buy into the “suggestions” that the virus is more deadly, blah blah blah, than the flu (or the swine flu, bird flu, SARS, or any ghost of panic past) am I going to catch the virus faster because I refuse to be terrified of it? Will the virus kidnap one of my kids and cut off a finger to send back to me because I’m not giving it its “props”?

You don't need to become hysterical. Your kids won't be kidnapped or have a finger cut off. Even if you get it, you will most likely recover.

However...
quote:
Personally, I am of the opinion Dr. Fauci is neither hysterical nor panicking. I feel he's offering sound, reasonable precautionary advice.

I'd listen to Dr. Fauci. We just put him and Mike Pence in charge of $8.5 billion in emergency spending on this. That's not for nothing.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24610 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Are the hysterical any more immune for this disease? If I don’t buy into the “suggestions” that the virus is more deadly, blah blah blah, than the flu (or the swine flu, bird flu, SARS, or any ghost of panic past) am I going to catch the virus faster because I refuse to be terrified of it? Will the virus kidnap one of my kids and cut off a finger to send back to me because I’m not giving it its “props”?

You don't need to become hysterical. Your kids won't be kidnapped or have a finger cut off. Even if you get it, you will most likely recover.

However...
quote:
Personally, I am of the opinion Dr. Fauci is neither hysterical nor panicking. I feel he's offering sound, reasonable precautionary advice.

I'd listen to Dr. Fauci. We just put him and Mike Pence in charge of $8.5 billion in emergency spending on this. That's not for nothing.

So, let me get this straight, if I refuse to bite into the panic, I can expect no retaliatory health problems that the virus might send to get even with me?

If that’s the case, what is the benefit of the hysteria and buying into it?

Whew, there for a while failing to believe in the panic was starting to look like an evil, ex wife Santa Claus. And it’s almost like we’ve seen this 70 page thread before with the same level of “we’re all going to die” from the media and experts but I can’t figure where (da bola)

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37190 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I have a serious question for all of those who have bought into the media hype.

If I take my normal flu season precautions (which even the hystericals admit is the best course of action), am I any more likely to contract the virus than those who are cleaning out the bank account because they have bought into the automated power grid going down, or the virus knocking over a liquor store down on Jackson Street?

The “experts” admit that the precautions are the same. Are the hysterical any more immune for this disease? If I don’t buy into the “suggestions” that the virus is more deadly, blah blah blah, than the flu (or the swine flu, bird flu, SARS, or any ghost of panic past) am I going to catch the virus faster because I refuse to be terrified of it? Will the virus kidnap one of my kids and cut off a finger to send back to me to show me it means business because I’m not giving it its “props”?

Because that’s certainly what it feels like when I read these posts quoting made up statistics and numbers of this and that. It really seems to be another snake oil sale.

To give the simple answer to your question, “No!”

To be a little more nuanced response, maybe doing what you can to minimize unnecessary exposure to large crowds and / or sick people might help minimize risk. This may already be part of your flu season precautions, I dunno. Being somewhat stocked up in general so one can stay home for a couple of weeks seems like common sense all the time to me, not something new because of flu or Coronavirus, but that’s just me.

At the end of the day, whatever is going to happen is going to happen. My suspicion is that the flu (you know, the one for which a lot of us can’t even be bothered to get the readily available vaccine) is probably going to kill a whole lot more Americans this season than COVID-19, and the same will probably be true next season too, if COVID-19 is even still around next season. I’m willing to bet a substantial pile of cash that the flu will be around and be killing people for the next several seasons, while I have no opinion on whether the same will be true of COVID-19.

It is certain that the wankers in the Lame Stream News Media will greatly magnify the economic impact of this bug, and will do their best to use the bug in support of their lefty politics and their Individual bottom lines.

At the end of the day, we all gotta die of something. I just think it is extremely unlikely to be COVID-19. But whatever our eventual cause of death may be, there aren’t any of us getting out of this life alive...

Posts: 7090 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13100 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39265 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
The only thing that really concerns me is that these things happen in waves. A mild one followed by a much more severe wave the following fall.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3626 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I think I've made it clear where I stand on this one. For those just joining, the cliff notes are: No deadlier than the flu (probably more contagious due to our having less experiential immunity), and yes, super-extreme-ridiculous hysteria.

That said -- I tend to lean to the advice of staying off the cruise ships if you're elderly/immunocompromised/or otherwise high risk. If you get the flu on the ship, they don't quarantine it and you're free to go get higher level care. With CV-19 they will almost certainly quarantine. So if you need extraordinary measures (ECMO etc), you can get taken to a hospital if you have the flu. I'd be concerned they wouldn't with this.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The leftist hysteria invoking media needs to step up it's game. I bounced around the TV looking at sports events, basketball, baseball, golf, Nascar and soccer venues and the crowds were just as large as ever. I can't believe that many people were willing to commit suicide by sitting with thousands of other death defying people. Eek

Good grief, I'm looking forward to a new diversion like a good old fashioned doom and gloom snow storm to take over the media hype fest.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I think it would be important to note that in all instances his “don’t get on a cruise ship” advice was to the old and immunocomprimised....not as a blanket statement to everyone. I have to decide if I’m going to let my 14 year old get on a bus with 50 other middle schoolers for a trip that will take him from Washington DC to Mobile Alabama for a conference. His mother and I are leaning towards keeping him off the trip, mainly because of the variables and the distance. If the conference closes, or one of the kids or attendees gets sick and they need to quarantine them, for example, that’s a long, long way from home.

That said, we are also all supposed to get on a cruise in miami in 2 weeks and we are constantly monitoring the status of cruises down there. I suspect the second they have to quarantine a Caribbean cruise all subsequent itineraries will be delayed. I got really good trip insurance because of my back, so we can play the wait and see game.

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Caught Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, on FOX News Sunday this morning. His advice: People with underlying conditions, particularly the elderly, should right now avoid places with crowded conditions, getting on airplanes and, above all, don't get on a cruise ship.

Is that "fake news," then?

And, if you have somebody at home that falls in the above "at risk" category due to age and/or underlying conditions, would it not also be prudent to avoid those same things so as to avoid potentially bringing the virus home? (I fall into this group due to my wife's health issues.) Or would that also be a sign of "HYSTERIA?"

He later went on to say "Don't get on a cruise ship. ... No one has told us not to say that and I'm saying it very clearly, now, on your show."

Guess he's just being "HYSTERICAL," too?
I would say those are precautions for "at-risk" and "immuno-compromised" individuals to adhere to AT ALL TIMES. Respectfully, it doesn't have thing one to do with this Coronavirus. That's EVERY DAY!!! My 85 year old mother thinks this is as much of a joke than I. Apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Yes...it IS hysteria. Fabricated hysteria.

I've made my point and said my peace. I'm out...
re

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Dr. Drew basically saying the media is blowing this all out of proportion for ratings.

https://www.worldstarhiphop.co...wshh4oaZyV21HKCkB79h

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
From what I can gather from hearing a couple Democrat politicians on the new that last two days.. they want COVID tests and apparently Trump has them locked in his office and won't let anyone have them. Or something like that it would seem.

Posts: 21364 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
From what I can gather from hearing a couple Democrat politicians on the new that last two days.. they want COVID tests and apparently Trump has them locked in his office and won't let anyone have them. Or something like that it would seem.

Dang. Must have a big office.......

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The situation in Italy has gotten serious, 16 million citizens under mandatory quarantine. The military is ordered to enforce blockades. Is this sensationalism? When a country prohibits funerals as Northern Italy has done things are serious.
As to Dr Drew and his claim, he is a has been just trying to grab that fame thing again.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
Is this sensationalism?
Yes
quote:
As to Dr Drew and his claim, he is a has been just trying to grab that fame thing again.
He may be a has-been and he may be trying to get attention, but the things he says in that clip are the truth; non-medical people- and not even bright or perceptive people- with a flair for the dramatic- essentially, third-rate entertainers- are the public's primary source of information about this incredibly overblown shit. It's wrong and it's dangerous and if it weren't so pathetic, it would be funny.

Every day on this planet, someone, somewhere, dies of influenza, but I guess that's not newsworthy. Maybe the plain old flu needs a new press agent, huh? Gotta have a "brand" that people can remember, like "coronavirus".

The way the press has capitalized on basic human fears and concerns in an effort to maximize ratings is an embarassment to the human race, as is the way this entire fucking planet full of people is behaving like scared little girls. Those who aren't running around to find toilet paper to horde have suddenly become epidemiologists- experts in that field, one and all.

There seems to be no end to the utter manure dribbling out of experts' mouths. No one knows jack shit. Let's stop fucking around. Incredibly silly and a complete waste of human effort.

Posts: 109090 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the State Department:

https://travel.state.gov/conte...hip-passengers.html?

U.S. citizens , particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship. CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking. In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures. While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.

This is a fluid situation. CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease. This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships. Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html.

Posts: 13100 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CNN is absolutely ridiculous. Every time I check their site, which is painful but I like to take the liberal temperature, the headline is: Coronavirus cases pass 420. Pass 470. Pass 500. Pass 520.
There is no doubt they are a national embarrassment and should have their FCC license revoked. This is fear mongering strictly for ratings and their political agenda.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
...all the words you said...

Spot.
On.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44480 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post