SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
You know what would be better and more effective? Treat these types like the bikers in Bronx tale. Let them come in, lock the door, and explain that you need them to take a message back to their bosses. The mob types use these methods because they are highly effective. Screaming and yelling may yield temporary results, but it doesn't generally really get the message to sink in.

Locks door. "Now youse can't leave."

Posts: 4930 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following is from a well respected peer reviewed Journal. Please note the sample size.

1 in 3 People Who Survive COVID-19 Are Left With ‘Brain Disease’ or Psychiatric Disorders, Says New Study

Researchers are continuing to study the long-term effects of COVID-19. And now, there's evidence to suggest that a third of COVID-19 survivors are struggling with brain disease or other psychiatric disorders.

That's the major takeaway from new research published in The Lancet Psychiatry on Tuesday. The study analyzed data over a six month period from 236,379 patients who were diagnosed with COVID-19. The researchers discovered that 34% of COVID-19 survivors had a diagnosis for either a neurological or psychological condition within six months after they were infected.

COVID-Brain-Disease-Study

CREDIT: ADOBE STOCK / DESIGN BY JO IMPERIO
A little more than 17% of those patients were diagnosed with anxiety, while 14% were diagnosed with some form of mood disorder. A smaller number of former patients experienced brain hemorrhaging, stroke, or dementia—all of which can be considered types of brain disease.

The incidences were higher the more severe a person's COVID-19 illness. More than 19% of patient who were in the ICU when they had COVID-19 struggled with anxiety, while nearly 3% were diagnosed with a psychotic disorder. The percentages of those who were diagnosed with neurological conditions like stroke and brain bleeding were also higher in this group.

RELATED: Does COVID-19 Cause Brain Damage? Here's What We Know So Far

The researchers also compared data from people who had COVID-19 with those who had other respiratory tract infections at the same time. What they found: People who had COVID-19 had a 44% higher risk of neurological and psychiatric illness than those who recently recovered from the flu.

That said, the researchers also discovered that two neurological diseases that are common with viruses— Guillain-Barré and parkinsonism (a group pf neurological disorders that cause movement issues similar to Parkinson's disease)—weren't any more common in COVID-19 survivors than patients who had recovered from other viruses. In the study, the researchers said that the reason why was "unclear," but also suggested that some patients may develop parkinsonism in the future, calling it a "delayed outcome."

"Our results indicate that brain diseases and psychiatric disorders are more common after COVID-19 than after flu or other respiratory infections, even when patients are matched for other risk factors," study co-author Max Taquet, PhD, a professor at the University of Oxford's Department of Psychiatry, said in a press release.

RELATED: Is Confusion a Symptom of COVID-19? Here's What Experts Say

While the study didn't uncover why this link exists, Paul Harrison, lead author of the study and associate head of the department of psychiatry at the University of Oxford, tells Health that there are some theories. "One of the more obvious explanations may be that COVID-19 affects the brain more than other viruses. It gets into the brain directly," he says.

There is also a known link between severe illness and neurological and psychological complications, infectious disease expert Amesh A. Adalja, MD, senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, tells Health. "This is well described in scientific literature," he says, citing sedatives, paralytic medications, and disruption of the sleep-wake cycle as possible reasons why someone who is hospitalized with a serious illness might have brain after-effects. "But the mild cases…we don't understand why that happens," he says. "It may be the result of inflammation that occurs during the illness. We've really just started scratching the surface of what this means for mild cases."

There are limitations to the study, though. "It could be that your doctor is more likely to notice the symptoms you may have," Harrison says. "It could also be that people who are recovering from COVID are monitoring their bodies more closely and looking for symptoms." However, Harrison says it's more likely that COVID-19 actually impacts the brain in some way.

RELATED: Doctors Report Small Number of COVID-19 Patients Develop Severe Psychotic Symptoms—Here's What to Know

This also isn't the first study to link COVID-19 with brain disease. A study published in March 2020 of 730 COVID-19 patients in China found that 96.2% of them experienced some symptoms of post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD) after recovering from the virus. Another study of 381 former COVID-19 patients treated at a hospital in Rome, Italy, found that 30% experienced PTSD after they recovered from the virus.

And yet another study, this one of 74 patients in the Boston area who were diagnosed with COVID-19, found that 18 were admitted to the hospital due to stroke after having the virus, 15 had seizures, and 26 experienced confusion and delirium.

Research on the impact of COVID-19 on the brain is continuing, but Harrison says people who have had the virus shouldn't panic. "Two-thirds of people did not have any of these problems," he says. "The average person after COVID is not going to have these problems. We need to have this in perspective." Still, if you've recovered from COVID-19 and are noticing any new neurological or psychiatric issues, it's best to bring them up to your doctor.

link: https://www.health.com/conditi...sychiatric-disorders

Posts: 17501 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
^^ The next BIG EXCUSE why people need government checks in their mailbox every month, from now until they die. You had a head cold and it disabled you permanently. Not only are you permanently disabled, you are also a hero and you deserve the constant and unwavering admiration of your peers, who are obligated to assist your free ride through life physical and mental struggles- unless you're a conservative straight white male, in which case, you're on your own, you racist, murdering Nazi.

My advice to all of you is to start pushing back at the narrative that this virus has destroyed the world, or the leftists will fuck up your quality of life so badly, there will be no recovery from it.

What a marvelous time to be a hypochondriac, I suppose, and a marvelous time to be a criminal, too. You robbed that convenience store because of C'OvId-1-9

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The following is from a well respected peer reviewed Journal. Please note the sample size.

1 in 3 People Who Survive COVID-19 Are Left With ‘Brain Disease’ or Psychiatric Disorders, Says New Study

Researchers are continuing to study the long-term effects of COVID-19. And now, there's evidence to suggest that a third of COVID-19 survivors are struggling with brain disease or other psychiatric disorders.

A little more than 17% of those patients were diagnosed with anxiety, while 14% were diagnosed with some form of mood disorder. A smaller number of former patients experienced brain hemorrhaging, stroke, or dementia—all of which can be considered types of brain disease.

You gotta be kidding me. Anxiety and mood disorder. But the headline is front and center screaming BRAIN DISEASE! So ridiculous.

Anyone who has a rough time with any disease or sickness and is hospitalized will probably be a bit anxious afterwards or develop a bad mood. But please, let's keep funding these jerkoffs so they can continue their "peer reviewed studies" and scare the hell out of the public. I'm less than impressed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30926 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Dr. Fauci says he takes vitamin D and C supplements and that they can lessen 'your susceptibility to infection'
glandsverk@businessinsider.com (Gabby Landsverk) 9/11/2020

Dr. Anthony Fauci, a leading US expert in infectious disease, said in a recent interview that he takes vitamin D and C supplements to keep a healthy immune system.
There's good science behind his recommendation, with plenty of evidence that being deficient in either nutrient can make you more susceptible to infection.
Fauci said most other immune-boosting claims, however, are useless. There's little evidence other supplements make much difference in preventing illness.

The leading infectious-disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci recommends taking your vitamins now that school has started and flu season is nearing.

Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, specifically suggested taking vitamin D and C supplements and said he takes them himself in an Instagram Live interview with the actress Jennifer Garner on Thursday.

"If you're deficient in vitamin D, that does have an impact on your susceptibility to infection. I would not mind recommending, and I do it myself, taking vitamin D supplements," he said. "The other vitamin that people take is vitamin C because it's a good antioxidant, so if people want to take a gram or so of vitamin C, that would be fine."

There's a large body of research supporting Fauci's recommendations. Studies suggest vitamin D and C are your best bet for supplementing immune health. However, many of the other products sold for this purpose are useless or worse.
There's evidence to support supplementing vitamin D and C for immune health

Extensive evidence has linked vitamin D deficiency to greater risk of infection, particularly from respiratory diseases like COVID-19.

That's led many researchers to investigate the use of vitamin D supplements to help prevent or lessen the effects of the coronavirus. While the findings are somewhat contentious, since researchers don't fully understand if vitamin D supplements can cause better health outcomes, studies have consistently linked vitamin D deficiency to greater risk of severe infection.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal...nfection/ar-BB18WvmA

Posts: 11894 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
At the very least, Fauci should be stripped of all credentials and banished from public life. What really needs to happen, though, is a long jail sentence. Ten years oughta do it. He can have it cushy in a Club Fed somewhere. I don't care, just as long as he shuts his mouth for good.

Oh, yeah, Fauci, take some D and some E and throw in some other letters of the alphabet for good measure, then triple mask up and go jump off a cliff. Bungie jump without the bungie. Have some gas station sushi. Change the channel from a Steelers game in a sports bar. Whatever, just get gone, you complete PHONY.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Don't take these videos too seriously. I'm sure it's just a coincidence. CREEPY AS HELL REGARDLESS Big Grin

What Rhymes with Breath
1,037,385 views•Sep 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxVrhgIDn4c

What is Wrong With Me
1,836,329 views•Feb 8, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecRpMQ1Y3LM

How to Apply Your Mask
3,043,567 views•Mar 20, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLBcx5pfWOQ

Head Net
257,049 views•Oct 23, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA0acFK2k3Y

I Told You So
427,615 views•Apr 18, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ExgCZZF5c8

The Scary Mask Warning (Poppy VR180 Experience)
VR180
222,798 views•May 20, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV23b6Gvkys

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4865 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Do scientists still care about distinguishing between causal relationships vs correlated relationships vs coincidence?

BTW, I haven't been sick (TMK) but I'm increasingly anxious. All this talk about passports, new normals, doomsday. What do I get?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13105 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fauci, take some D and some E and throw in some other letters of the alphabet for good measure, then triple mask up and go jump off a cliff. Bungie jump without the bungie. Have some gas station sushi. Change the channel from a Steelers game in a sports bar. Whatever, just get gone, you complete PHONY.

Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24609 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
A little more than 17% of those patients were diagnosed with anxiety, while 14% were diagnosed with some form of mood disorder.

Any chance there's a link between these displayed conditions/diagnosis' and the fact that the .gov, along with the infallible paragons of 'intelligence' in the public health community, have displayed NOTHING but complete ineptitude throughout this entire nightmare, supplemented of course, by the constant drumbeat of terror and death associated w/ COVID coming from the media establishment?

It seems the prescribed counter-measures/treatment/cure that's been imposed on society for this pandemic, just might be worse than the actual disease! I wonder... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For all of those posting above. The Lancet will accept well reasoned rational argments that are in conflict with the journal report. For those who do not know:
The Lancet is a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal. It is among the world's oldest and best-known general medical journals. It was founded in 1823 by Thomas Wakley, an English surgeon who named it after the surgical instrument called a lancet.

The editors are not in the habit of publishing garbage.

Posts: 17501 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Lancet is a weekly peer-reviewed general medical journal. It is among the world's oldest and best-known general medical journals. It was founded in 1823 by Thomas Wakley, an English surgeon who named it after the surgical instrument called a lancet.

Other than the Wakefield study. Wink

Posts: 20581 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:

I no longer trust anyone on this subject. They can peer review until the cows come home. I'm not listening. I'm certain this seems irrational to many of you, but this is what happens when you lie to people enough, and I reached that threshold months ago.

Look at what's been done to the world in the name of "safety". They have fucked up the lives of tens of millions of Americans.

It's time for everyone to man up. You can cower in your house or you can choose to be alive, with all the risks that are associated with life.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I reached that threshold 200 pages ago in this very thread!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9440 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:

17% of those patients were diagnosed with anxiety, while 14% were diagnosed with some form of mood disorder.

When I was young and entertaining pre-med, Lancet seemed like a respectable publication.

But anytime I see "information" like this, I tune out and disregard anything else the "expert" is trying to say. I can't fathom how one would normalize all other factors to reasonably attribute something like covid to 'feelings' let alone measure the level and determine causal, not correlated, relationships.

The scientific method is lost.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13105 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Doctor makes me fill out a form detailing the symptoms causing my visit. One of the questions asked is am I irritable?
I write down: ARENT WE ALL?
I should be careful about that. Probably puts me on a list somewhere.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16389 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, I just read a piece on the previous page that seems to suggest otherwise.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30926 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
IF you read that Lancet piece and don't walk away shaking your head, then you've seriously lost the plot.

Mood disorders... Anxiety... about COVID-19!!!

Who would have guessed???

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Didn't I just remind you of your manners?

posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^
Perhaps you should submit a carefully crafted letter to the editors of the Lancet. Your considered opinion as a merchant marine will be eagerly anticipated.