SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Tested positive today for the ole COVID. Had some light sinus issues plus some fatigue late in the day. Just feeling sleepy and run down early the last 3 days.

Went and got swabbed and popped positive. Wife and kid getting tested tomorrow. Here's to a quarantine! Cheers!

Wife and kid popped positive to. Yea Quarantine!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8854 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyMCO:
no mention of hospital loads (22.65% according to the FL Dept of Health). Just trying to get everyone wee-wee'd up.

You've got your percentages reversed in there. The 22.85% is bed availability. The relevant percentage, for someone having a heart attack, in a car wreck, post surgical complications, etc. is ICU availability. Looks like that's about 19% so not awful.

ICU availability

rigin=viz_share_link&:isGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&:embed=y" target="_blank">Linky

I know in MS bed availability is ~22% as well, ICU beds is 12%. However if you drill down to ICU bed availability in Jackson metro area 4 main hospitals, as of right now the total count is -4. IOW, out of the 197 ICU beds they are 100% full and there are 4 people that need a bed but can't get one. Only 45 of those total 197 beds are occupied by COVID patients, but if you have the misfortune of getting run over in the street today or having a heart attack, you may be SOL other than care in the ER and holding somewhere. As a comparative, I doubt we'd ever see 25% of the ICU beds occupied by flu patients.

Total staffed bed availability of any type is 20, or 1.5% of total in a city of ~400K....

MS DoH

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12420 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
CA Judge Orders San Diego Strip Clubs To Reopen As Churches Fight For Same Right

Churches should start meeting at the clubs. Probably slow on a Sun morning anyway and they'd welcome the drink/snack orders!
Or churches should recognize, as does the Constitution, that the right to freedom of religion is 'not' something granted by government, but instead, an inalienable right government has no authority to interfere with. As such, all the churches in the state simply need to give ole Gav (and local despots as well) the middle finger salute and go back to holding church services as normal.

And $1,000 fine and jail time for a Covid violation in Minnesota? You truly have more than your share of the morons running things.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
You've got your percentages reversed in there. The 22.85% is bed availability. The relevant percentage, for someone having a heart attack, in a car wreck, post surgical complications, etc. is ICU availability. Looks like that's about 19% so not awful.

ICU availability

rigin=viz_share_link&:isGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&:embed=y" target="_blank">Linky

I know in MS bed availability is ~22% as well, ICU beds is 12%. However if you drill down to ICU bed availability in Jackson metro area 4 main hospitals, as of right now the total count is -4. IOW, out of the 197 ICU beds they are 100% full and there are 4 people that need a bed but can't get one. Only 45 of those total 197 beds are occupied by COVID patients, but if you have the misfortune of getting run over in the street today or having a heart attack, you may be SOL other than care in the ER and holding somewhere. As a comparative, I doubt we'd ever see 25% of the ICU beds occupied by flu patients.

Total staffed bed availability of any type is 20, or 1.5% of total in a city of ~400K....

MS DoH

Thanks George - in my mind - I meant 22.85% Availability - but somehow didn't type that - and since I looked at the site - it updated to 19% - so good catch.

I've been watching that FL bed capacity for the past few months - and it's banged around 18-26% - it's a shame they don't show the trends over time. I realize there are spots where you are SOL if you need a bed - but the total system has capacity, which was the point I was trying to make.

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Maybe have the choir members dance during the sermon, it's now protected speech under the same order.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New York the leader in coronavirus response (sarcasm)

‘Hundreds’ Of NYC Coronavirus Victims’ Bodies Still Being Stored In Freezer Trucks

https://www.dailywire.com/news...ed-in-freezer-trucks

“Hundreds” of New York City’s coronavirus victims have yet to be processed and buried, according to the Wall Street Journal, and their bodies are still sitting in giant freezer trucks parked along the waterfront near Brooklyn.

The city has yet to empty the “disaster morgue,” the WSJ reports, and around 650 individuals who died from the virus have yet to be cataloged and their remains released to next of kin. The dead, stored in massive refrigerator trucks brought into the city when several of NYC’s hospital morgues ran out of storage, largely represent low-income victims, many of whom “couldn’t afford a proper burial,” per Forbes, or who the city had a difficult time naming.

“Officials at the chief medical examiner’s office said they are having trouble tracking down relatives of about 230 deceased people,” WSJ notes. “In cases like these, a spokeswoman said, it isn’t uncommon for the deceased to have been estranged from families and for next-of-kin details to be updated or incorrect. When next of kin have been contacted, officials said most bodies haven’t been collected because of financial reasons.”

Most of the dead would have, previously, been buried in pauper graves on the city’s Hart Island, but NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio put a stop to that practice early in the pandemic, after photos of Hart Island’s mass graves went viral on social media.

Since then, it appears NYC has been dragging its feet on finding a more permanent solution.

The medical examiner’s office called the situation “traumatic,” but that the temporary morgue will remain in operation until at least the end of the year.

The news of NYC’s issues with identifying and burying its coronavirus dead comes amid a public relations surge on the part of New York governor Andrew Cuomo, who claims his own handling of the pandemic was both exemplary and extraordinary. In a book, out earlier in November, Cuomo touted his coronavirus management strategy as a legendary example of leadership.

The New York governor is even slated to receive an honorary Emmy Award for his leadership amid the pandemic, according to Fox News.

New York, however, was the state hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic, and New York City the epicenter of the first wave of infections. The bodies stored in Brooklyn represent a small fraction of the 24,202 dead in the city since the pandemic began in earnest in March. Additional thousands are believed to have died across New York state as a result of a Cuomo administration order directing nursing homes and other long-term care facilities to admit residents recovering from COVID-19 infections, even though many of those individuals could have been contagious upon admission.

“While that order has since been reversed,” Fox News notes, “the policy has been heavily attributed to New York’s record-breaking death toll, which includes many senior citizens living in nursing homes.”

According to the Wall Street Journal, the city does eventually plan on rehoming the hundreds of bodies in cold storage, until then, though, Forbes notes, the situation is evidence of just “how unprepared the country’s systems were for handling this deadly pandemic.”

Posts: 12686 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
This Video will brighten your day.

Business in Buffalo, NY forces county sheriff to remove Health inspectors from premises (that were there supporting the health inspectors).

Health inspectors were there to about masks and the business said to get out and go get a warrant.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jus.../1330261324119633923

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The city has yet to empty the “disaster morgue,” the WSJ reports, and around 650 individuals who died from the virus have yet to be cataloged and their remains released to next of kin.

It could be that some of them have no next of kin, but why aren't the remainder of them up in arms? Confused

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
You've probably seen where the governor of Oregon asked residents to call the police if they see neighbors gathering on Thanksgiving.
https://www.kezi.com/content/n...reeze-573156941.html

The Linn County Sheriff and DA issued a joint statement:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We now have three vaccines with at least preliminary reports of 90-95% effectiveness (the latest, AstraZeneca, had 90% effectiveness at a low fist dose and full second dose).
We’ve been told that billions of doses have been or are being made and that immunization will begin as soon as FDA approval is given.

Thank you, President Trump! You are the only one who could have made it happen. Decades from now I hope people will look back on this time and shake their heads.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you, President Trump! You are the only one who could have made it happen. Decades from now I hope people will look back on this time and shake their heads.

I hope that happens weeks from now.
TRUMP 2020 OR 2024!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24121 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted November 23, 2020 05:44 PM Hide Post
You've probably seen where the governor of Oregon asked residents to call the police if they see neighbors gathering on Thanksgiving.
https://www.kezi.com/content/n...reeze-573156941.html

The Linn County Sheriff and DA issued a joint statement:

It is heartening to hear that there at least some sane people out there. Congratulations to them both for doing the right thing!

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

Informing on neighbors is what secret police like, for example, the Gestapo or the Stasi (East Germany's secret police) had people do.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
We now have three vaccines with at least preliminary reports of 90-95% effectiveness (the latest, AstraZeneca, had 90% effectiveness at a low fist dose and full second dose).
We’ve been told that billions of doses have been or are being made and that immunization will begin as soon as FDA approval is given.

Honest question to the members here.

Are you going to voluntarily take this vaccine when it becomes available?

Since I haven't had a flu shot in over 20 years, and don't plan on changing that paradigm, I won't be participating in this nonsense either. I might however buy a chunk of Pfizer and Astrazeneca stock though given these companies are likely to get stupid rich off this government manufactured farce.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Why would I take a vaccine when my immune system is already well over 99% effective against this virus?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:Honest question to the members here.

Are you going to voluntarily take this vaccine when it becomes available?

I will. My occupation places me in the highest risk category for exposure. While my chances of dying are quite low, I'd rather not be out of work sick or in quarantine for several weeks.

The choice should be 100% individual based on your circumstances. I absolutely WILL NOT require my employees to be vaccinated as a condition of employment.

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want COVID, get the vaccine. (a little sarcasm)

Yes, you read that correctly. Vaccine manufacturers are now saying that one of the side effects of getting the vaccine will be symptoms that are the same as those experienced by those with the COVID virus. (high fever, body aches, muscle pain, headache, etc.)

But the good news is that you get to go back a second time and get COVID again when your second dose is due.

Test patients said that although the side effects were unpleasant, it was better than getting COVID. Roll Eyes

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/2...lk-in-the-park-.html

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post

Posts: 53188 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Effective vaccines in the U.S. more or less eradicated measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tuberculosis, smallpox, polio, and other diseases. Lack of vaccination by immigrants and anti-vaxers has led to outbreaks of diseases that were previously thought to be easily preventable. There is no question about this. Are there side effects and do some people get harmed by vaccines? I'm sure a small percentage does, since nothing is 100% risk free.

For traveling internationally, I've gotten vaccines for Hep A, Hep B, Typhus, Yellow Fever, and updates to my childhood vaccinations. Also take malaria preventive meds where needed.

Yes, the long term efficacy and potential side effects of any COVID vaccine are unknown right now, with only the clinical trial data available. That said, high risk people are better off getting vaccinated, especially older people and those with comorbidities. The need to vaccinate children is much lower. So for example, vaccinating older teachers first makes more sense than vaccinating students. Based on how well the vaccine is tolerated by high risk groups will help us understand more.

I will likely be required to get vaccinated to travel for my job, as some countries are likely to make it mandatory for entry. I'm not too concerned about it.

Given how many democrats are bitching about the vaccine and insinuating it might not be safe because President Trump is involved, after insisting that it would not be available this fast and we would have to wait another year, and now whining about the distribution planning, tells you something. Based on their behavior, it probably works, is safe, and Trump made it happen by pushing career bureaucrats to get off their asses and do their jobs, much to the disappointment of the democrats.

And Cuomo gets an Emmy award for ordering the death of many elderly New Yorkers...

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
As soon as Biden takes office the D will declare the vaccine safe and it will be immediately distributed nationally, quickly by the military aka Trumps plan in place....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post