SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I figure the argument is, if the beach is closed, the beach is closed. If it's not closed and enforced as such then there's the potential for large crowds. (I don't know anything about the particular beach in question.)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
^^^^^ I figure the argument is, if the beach is closed, the beach is closed. If it's not closed and enforced as such then there's the potential for large crowds. (I don't know anything about the particular beach in question.)

I dunno if the beach was closed or not. If it was, what were the lifeguards doing there?

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
NY data from today

113,833 confirmed
3565 deaths
10,953 recovered
99,315 active

The number "recovered" is becoming significant.
It took 7 days for the "active" number to double. Back around 24 Mar, it doubled in 3 days. Looks like the exponential is slowing down.

If 15% of the cases identified need to be hospitalized , that would indicate NY state has about 15,000 China virus patients in the hospital.
Just curious since you've been following the models rather closely, how do these numbers match up to the projections?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boiling them in oil is out

Dream Crusher

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Dream Crusher

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound so definite. Meant to say “probably out.”

If you can arrange the party, I’m happy to contribute several cords of seasoned red oak to boil the oil. Wink

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomS:

This pissin' contest is getting old.

Yes it is.
Almost a chore to extract good info...

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like links with no comments... skip

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:

Dream Crusher

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound so definite. Meant to say “probably out.”

If you can arrange the party, I’m happy to contribute several cords of seasoned red oak to boil the oil. Wink

Don't waste the oak. Freshly cut green pine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21145 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
“I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore.”

Remember that line from the famous American movie “Network”? It’s time for a rebellion. Every out of work American and every out of business American business owner needs to open our windows and shout it. Shout it so loud, it reaches President Trump, Congress and every DC Swamp politician from Washington DC to New York to Boston to Beverly Hills, California.

It’s time for this madness to stop. Mr. President, do you understand how many suicides of prominent business owners are piling up?

Here in Las Vegas a business owner closed his business, laid off his 45 employees (with tears in his eyes), then went home and committed suicide. Did you see that in the news?

It’s happening across America.

Do you understand the pain of the employees? No one can even get through to file for unemployment benefits. The web sites are down for days on end. No one ever answers the phones.

Do you understand how many lives are being ruined, how many jobs being killed, how many great businesses will never reopen? The people are getting desperate and despondent. They have no money for food, or rent, or gas, or survival.

We can’t stay closed. We have to open up the US economy. There is no more time for debate. There is no more room for caution. I have ideas and compromise below.

First, these Coronavirus “death counts” have to stop. You’re scaring people half to death. I suggest a new kind of “DEATH COUNT” be put up on the screens, to compete with the Coronavirus death count.

*JOBS KILLED by this complete business shutdown.

*BUSINESSES CLOSED.

*AMERICAN DREAMS DESTROYED.

*SUICIDES CAUSED.

A Great Depression will destroy this great nation. And we’re on the way, right now. Unless you get this economy open again.

And why not open America for business again- with tight restrictions. What is happening now makes absolutely no sense. We are “allowed” to shop at big box stores like CostCo, WalMart and Home Depot; health food stores like Whole Foods and Sprouts; grocery stores; pet stores; auto part stores; pawn shops, pot stores, liquor stores, gun stores, and get this- golf courses are open. If all of that is allowed, why can’t we open all stores and businesses, but with the same sanitary and health precautions and restrictions?

I love and appreciate the UPS drivers and Costco cashiers on the front lines. But if they can work, why can’t the rest of us? Do Costco checkout guys and gals and supermarket cashiers have a big “S” on their chest? If they can face it and survive, why can’t the rest of us?

The liberal Democrat Mayor of Los Angeles Eric Garcetti just recommended everyone wear masks and scarfs. Isn’t this the compromise to get us all back to work?

Here’s the mantra for the day: “Wear a Mask, Get Back to Work!”

We need to open of the US economy, before it’s too late. Before we’re all doomed- not from Coronavirus, but from the fallout of a Great Depression. Here is the compromise. Here are the new rules.

Anyone who wants to stay home, can. If you want to collect welfare, food stamps and unemployment, you can. Anyone at high risk- seniors, the sick, the obese, those with illness- should shelter at home.

But the rest of us (the working people of America) are willing to take the risk, to keep our businesses alive, to save jobs, to save the economy, to prevent a Great Depression, to prevent mass suicides, alcoholism, drug addiction, poverty and misery.

We can all work- just like the Costco employees and supermarket cashiers and the UPS drivers. We can all wear masks. Our customers can wear masks. We can all practice social distancing. Employees can stand 6 feet apart. Stores can limit customers. New customers can only come in when others leave. We can sanitize our workplaces and stores like never before.

It’s time to start organizing a mega call-campaign to President Trump, Congress and to local politicians across this country. It’s time to tell them that the American people want to take precautions, we’ll accept restrictions, but we need to get back to work. Or we’re holding you accountable for ruining our jobs, careers, businesses, dreams, lives.

The pandemic is horrible. But we can’t keep the economy closed. Your caution and fear are killing our lives, more than any pandemic. The politicians are destroying America.

Shout it out loud: “I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take this anymore!”

Wayne Allyn Root is a CEO, entrepreneur, best-selling author, nationally-syndicated talk show host on USA Radio Network and the host of “The Wayne Allyn Root Show” on Newsmax TV nightly at 11 PM ET/8 PM Pacific. To find out more about Wayne Allyn Root and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2020 CREATORS.COM

Posts: 8726 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:https://www.facebook....
Links with no comments... skip
Even more annoying - nesters and their pissing contests. Proving a point never became more tedious ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Downtownv, I agree that we the people need to flood the White House and other swamp politicians in Washington and the states, with this or similar letter or calls. If their email boxes and phones are full and backed up with these it might get some of their attention.
I would add a part to remind them that their re election depends on us. That is the only thing they will understand since they don't really give a damn about us and only want to keep their cushy job and fat check.
I sent something similar to our crooked governor a week or so ago. I'm so sick of his smug face and the fake concern from these ass holes. It's time to be telling us how they plan to get people back to work and when.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Detroit is still using public passenger buses. Wonder what happens when you squeeze a number of people into a confined space like a bus when the infection rate is soaring.

Drivers are terrified.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
In Alamance County NC we have 14 cases. My SIL is a nurse. Her hours have been reduced, till further notice. Because the hospital is EMPTY. All surgeries cancelled. The ER is empty.

She was offered $10K to go work in NYC. But she thinks that is a terrible idea. I agree with her. But to watch the news, you would think the hospitals are full of people dying with the virus.

I think I will follow jljones example and turn off the news. For a few weeks. They just aren't credible. Regards 18DAI

A friend and former co-worker of my fiancee is doing the NYC gig. She is in school now and her husband was laid off for the 'Rona, and now that's the only way she can get money.

FYI, these $10000/week gigs require nurses to work 5 12-hour shifts per week to get the "crisis pay". Normal week is 3 12-hours.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
It's Sunday I'm taking a day off from the Covid.
Getting about time for breakfast and a bloody mary.

I'll go with more banjo!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomS:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Enough

Thank you.

This pissin' contest is getting old.

Indeed. That's why I finally bowed-out a couple days ago. I'm still reading the thread for the occasional gem (actual real news or information), but no longer "contributing." The lines have been drawn and the sides taken. Nobody's changing anybody else's mind. Arguing back-and-forth about it is about as useful as howling at the moon. Maybe less Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
bigdeal,

"how do these numbers match up to the projections?"

The first test is over the next 2 weeks for NY

Here is the IHME prediction for NY deaths from China virus.

The peak day for most "deaths per day" is estimated to be between 7 and 11 April.

The WH team has said they think IHME is predicting too low for deaths because IHME included data from China to build their model. (IHME used data from other countries also)

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
https://www.oann.com/coronavir...ower-than-projected/

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4018 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
The lines have been drawn and the sides taken. Nobody's changing anybody else's mind. Arguing back-and-forth about it is about as useful as howling at the moon. Maybe less Wink

As you say, arguing is a useless waste of time and space.
However, I find this thread useful and fascinating.

My own thinking has evolved since my first post back on January 21 (page 1):

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I'll have mine with a wedge of lime please.
Oh...
And a couple fish tacos.

This thing sounds like a bad hangover.
Big Grin

No one took it very seriously back then. Now...

Panic serves no useful purpose. Neither does bickering. But the information shared here keeps us all informed and educated.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s time for “More Cowbell “. Signing off

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post