SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is everybody walking around with the flu without any symptoms??? You either have the flu or do not and this is the same thing to me.

I have read studies in the past that said that you can indeed be infected with the flu virus and never have any symptoms or symptoms that are so mild that you wouldn't consider yourself to have the flu.

Here's one that I just googled:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/new...nfected-few-are-sick

quote:
British researchers who tested people for influenza antibodies before and after each flu season for 5 years found that an average of 18% of them appeared to have contracted a flu infection each season, but only 23% of that group got sick, according to a report in The Lancet Respiratory Medicine.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Even if not for work my grandparents are in their 80's and one is in home hospice, no one wants to be the person that literally kills grandma.
We had fun with it. All the older folks were seated together slightly away from us, and the kids served them their plates, which the older folks just loved. Amazing isn't it? No one in the family is a renowned immunologist, yet we came up with a simple design solution that worked out great for everyone so the entire family could enjoy each other for Thanksgiving. Who would have thought?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had fun with it. All the older folks were seated together slightly away from us, and the kids served them their plates, which the older folks just loved. Amazing isn't it? No one in the family is a renowned immunologist, yet we came up with a simple design solution that worked out great for everyone so the entire family could enjoy each other for Thanksgiving. Who would have thought?

Amazing what people using common sense can do without "big brother" intruding!

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Johns Hopkins University Newspaper Pulls Down Article Questioning COVID-19 Death Tolls

https://www.theepochtimes.com/...h-tolls_3595884.html

Johns Hopkins University’s student newspaper has removed an article, in which an economics professor suggested that the current COVID-19 death toll is misleading, based on her analysis of official data.

The article, which was published Sunday on Johns Hopkins News-Letter, focused on an analysis performed by Genevieve Briand, an assistant program director at the university’s economics department. Briand analyzed the effect of the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus pandemic on U.S. deaths using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and presented her findings in a webinar.

The CDC data showed that the number of total deaths in the United States between mid-March and mid-September was 1.7 million, of which 200,000 are COVID-19-related. Briand looked at the total deaths in each age group and cause of death, and used that information to evaluate the impact of the pandemic.

“Surprisingly, the deaths of older people stayed the same before and after COVID-19,” the JHN article read. “Since COVID-19 mainly affects the elderly, experts expected an increase in the percentage of deaths in older age groups. However, this increase is not seen from the CDC data. In fact, the percentages of deaths among all age groups remain relatively the same.”

When it comes to causes of deaths, Briand found that the total decrease in deaths by other causes almost exactly equals the increase in deaths by COVID-19. She said this is likely because that many deaths have been incorrectly labeled as COVID-19 deaths when they would have been attributed to heart diseases, respiratory diseases, influenza, and pneumonia.

“The reason we have a higher number of reported COVID-19 deaths among older individuals than younger individuals is simply because every day in the U.S. older individuals die in higher numbers than younger individuals,” Briand said, reported the JHN.

Briand concluded that she has found “no evidence that COVID-19 created any excess deaths,” meaning that the number of deaths this year isn’t particularly higher than that of a normal year.

“If [the COVID-19 death toll] was not misleading at all, what we should have observed is an increased number of heart attacks and increased COVID-19 numbers. But a decreased number of heart attacks and all the other death causes doesn’t give us a choice but to point to some misclassification,” Briand said.

The JHN article was pulled down on Thursday without explanation. The student newspaper on Friday wrote on Twitter that the article was “being used to support false and dangerous inaccuracies” about the impact of the pandemic, and that they “regret that this article may have contributed to the spread of misinformation about COVID-19.”

Briand’s webinar, in which she explained her findings in detail with graphs, is still available on Johns Hopkins University’s YouTube channel by the time of this publication.

Posts: 12686 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/heal...-stay-at-home-order/

Los Angeles County announced Friday a temporary stay at home order effective Monday that urges residents to avoid being with people not in their household.

“The temporary order will be in place for three weeks through Dec. 20 and will allow essential and emergency workers, and those securing or providing essential and permitted services, to leave their homes,”

In a press release, public health officials advised residents to stay home as much as possible and wear a mask when they are outside and around other people:

Additionally, it is very important that if you are even mildly sick or think you were exposed to someone with COVID-19 that you stay home and away from other people, especially those at greater risk of becoming seriously ill from COVID-19 and consider being tested for COVID-19.

To date, Public Health identified 387,793 positive cases of COVID-19 across all areas of L.A. County and a total of 7,604 deaths. Testing results are available for more than 3,681,714 individuals with 10% of all people testing positive.

“Acting with collective urgency right now is essential if we want to put a stop to this surge. Please remain home as much as possible and do not gather with others not in your household for the next three weeks,” she concluded.

The announcement comes two days after county officials banned outdoor dining, the KTLA report said.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Way back when Fauci said we need to lock down for two weeks I told my wife that this will never end. From now on we will never be without a health crisis of some kind.

After watching how quickly and completely many (most?) people accepted mask wearing and social distancing, but really more just the mandated lock down restrictions, I arrived at the same conclusion.

Once again, Rahm Emmanuelle's infamous strategy of "never let a crisis go to waste"...or my own addendum to it, if there is no crisis then manufacture one.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Is everybody walking around with the flu without any symptoms??? You either have the flu or do not and this is the same thing to me.

I have read studies in the past that said that you can indeed be infected with the flu virus and never have any symptoms or symptoms that are so mild that you wouldn't consider yourself to have the flu.

Here's one that I just googled:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/new...nfected-few-are-sick

quote:
British researchers who tested people for influenza antibodies before and after each flu season for 5 years found that an average of 18% of them appeared to have contracted a flu infection each season, but only 23% of that group got sick, according to a report in The Lancet Respiratory Medicine.

Several years ago, after a lengthy hospital stay, I was discharged on the condition that I stay with some nearby family members while I continued to recover at home. I was hospitalized with non-flu health issues but received a flu shot in the hospital just a day or two before being discharged.

A day or so after staying with family, my nephew felt sick and a quick test with his doctor indicated that he had the flu, which he most likely got from me...which I most likely contracted while in the hospital.

I was feeling a little tired and run down, which could easily have been explained by my other health issues, but other than that I had no flu symptoms.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
And they want MORE lockdowns...yes, it's going so well.

In my neck of the woods...they're clamping down...they basically wanted folks to skip thanksgiving outside of your own household and they've now cancelled hybrid classes for the younger kids...cutting off the little positive interaction /normalcy they were getting.

When the 'cure' is worse than the disease, there's a problem.

Unfortunately, it'll probably be a couple years before we completely bottom out...hopefully we can recover quicker than back in the 1930's...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPY00aCeruk

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post

Ohhh fuuuuuck yooouu.

And I say this as a Thanksgiving traveler flying back home with my family to Utah from New Jersey today.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the chuckle!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Dear Ex Wife:

Thank you for waking up with Covid symptoms yesterday, knowing that you have recently been hangout out with someone who has tested positive for COVID, still sending the boys over for their week with me, and then not telling me until this morning.

Stay classy! Roll Eyes

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Ohhh fuuuuuck yooouu.

And I say this as a Thanksgiving traveler flying back home with my family to Utah from New Jersey today.
You need to stay off Yahoo News for your own health Balse.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
You need to stay off Yahoo News.

+1 Proven garbage supplier- Yahoo news was used by Christopher Steele et al to post bogus stories to reference back to to establish authenticity during the attempted coup.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Kind of under the radar, the live music industry has been decimated, thousands, if not millions of musicians, audio engineers, lighting directors, tour managers, roadies, stage hands, set designers and builders, caterers, tour transportation companies, club, arena, stadium employees, etc out of work around the world. Eric Clapton and Van Morrison, both outspoken about the British lockdowns, released new music to benefit out of work musicians in Britain. Even guys like Mick Jagger are worried and have doubts on the future of live music.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...kdowns-in-new-single

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
... have doubts on the future of live music.

I know I'm peeved. I was supposed to go see a Sammy Hagar show this past summer! But, nooooooo!! Stupid virus....

Mad

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah and MANY small businesses. I see it everyday among my friends who run businesses. I run one as well and luckily it is essential. This Covid crap has cost me plenty. I am hopeful that by May the vaccines will have resulted in some lessening of new infections.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Just got back from invading NC for Thanksgiving with my ‘rents whom I haven’t seen in a year...Gov Cooper has everyone on lock down. I wen to Lowe’s with dad and didn’t wear a mask...some looked at me but no one said anything.

Went to a job site with dad to help install a septic tank pump...owner asked (when he heard me say I had travelled from TX) if I had quarantined.....I asked him if he wanted his shit pit to work? He didn’t have an answer....I told him to quit being a sissy, and explained how it’s a virus and everyone will eventually get it due to no one practicing decontamination properly.....then I told him about the 98% chance of recovery.....he just stood there like a deer in the headlights...

I often opine with my big brother about how we ever got out of the caves...

[/drift]

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just got back from invading NC for Thanksgiving with my ‘rents whom I haven’t seen in a year...Gov Cooper has everyone on lock down. I wen to Lowe’s with dad and didn’t wear a mask...some looked at me but no one said anything.

Yep, "bathroom roy" is blustering and threatening
everybody these days. He put re-instated restrictions on numbers of people allowed to gather, etc. A couple of towns have threatened businesses with huge fines or closing them if they don't enforce this mask crap. Other towns have pretty much still ignored that idiot Cooper and while they have signs saying "mask required" most places are not trying to enforce it at all.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Kind of under the radar, the live music industry has been decimated, thousands, if not millions of musicians, audio engineers, lighting directors, tour managers, roadies, stage hands, set designers and builders, caterers, tour transportation companies, club, arena, stadium employees, etc out of work around the world. Eric Clapton and Van Morrison, both outspoken about the British lockdowns, released new music to benefit out of work musicians in Britain. Even guys like Mick Jagger are worried and have doubts on the future of live music.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...kdowns-in-new-single

The band/act I used to open for, is decimated. They are out of Austin. Hurting financially would be putting it mildly.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
You need to stay off Yahoo News for your own health Balse.

I deliberately subscribe to their notifications so I can see what the other side is seeing for news. I'm constantly amazed at how absurd and out of touch these people are and their headlines. I recommend everyone follow them. If nothing else, it's good for a guffaw now and then.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post