SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"People should not wear cloth face coverings while engaged in activities that may cause the cloth face covering to become wet, like when swimming at the beach or pool. A wet cloth face covering may make it difficult to breathe."
https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru...loth-face-cover.html

Or, maybe, soaked in virus laden sputum? Or, maybe, sweating like a pig in summer?

"Cloth face coverings are recommended as a simple barrier to help prevent respiratory droplets from traveling into the air and onto other people when the person wearing the cloth face covering coughs, sneezes, talks, or raises their voice. This is called source control. This recommendation is based on what we know about the role respiratory droplets play in the spread of the virus that ..."

See the huuUUuuUuge corona viruses bouncing back inside the porous mask? (Maybe) They bounce around inside like billiard balls until they run out of energy and harmlessly come to rest. Riiiiight.

Surely, they don't soak through to the outside on those wet with sweat, coughs, sneezes, talks or voice raisings. And surely, people aren't contaminating by constantly taking them on and off, (touching, touching, touching) and then handling doorknobs, shopping carts, etc. Riiiiight.

Posts: 16183 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
"People should not wear cloth face coverings while engaged in activities that may cause the cloth face covering to become wet, like when swimming at the beach or pool. A wet cloth face covering may make it difficult to breathe."

No worries here. I wear this mask when I swim...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30926 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC: And surely, people aren't contaminating by constantly taking them on and off, (touching, touching, touching) and then handling doorknobs, shopping carts, etc. Riiiiight. [/color]

That's a significant problem. People really don't understand how to wear them properly and deal with them in different situations. I have no doubt that the spread could be mitigated pretty quickly if everyone had good masks AND wore them correctly. That's not likely to happen, so it's kind of a moot point.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doctor Dispels Coronavirus Fears: ‘99.8 Percent of People Get Through this with Little to No Progressive or Significant Disease’

Dr. Dan Erickson, owner of Accelerated Urgent Care, spoke at Monday’s “White Coat Summit” on Capitol Hill as part of a greater effort to extinguish fears surrounding the Chinese coronavirus and reminded the public that “99.8 percent of people get through this with little to no progressive or significant disease.”

Erickson ADDRESSED the dominant narrative of rising cases of the virus within the U.S. and pointed out that it is causing undue fear.

“A case is a person, healthy, that tested positive. The vast majority. But the public hears cases and thinks, ‘Oh my goodness. These are sick people!’ No the vast majority — 99.8 percent of people get through this with little to no progressive or significant disease,” Erickson said.

The focus should not center on cases, he continued. Rather, the narrative should focus on hospitalizations and deaths that “are appropriately coded on a death certificate,” he said, stressing “appropriately coded.”

“This is the first time I’ve seen quarantining healthy,” he continued. “I don’t know if you guys think that’s normal. I find that very strange.”

While he said it was good that the U.S. prepared for the worse, Erickson said we must be “realistic with the response.”

“Who showed up? Most of the patients that were showing up for me were very mild illness,” he said, adding that he wanted to come out and “give reality to the situation on the ground and sort of help dispel some fear that people have had.”

Erickson also addressed the mass lockdowns across the country, explaining that they were “very successful,” but in all the wrong metrics.

He said:

Was the lockdown successful? I say yes very successful. Successful in things like this. Anxiety hotline calls up 1000 percent. Child abuse both sexual and non up. Financially, emotional distress, Suicide. Alcohol. 150,000 Americans a month not receiving cancer screening. It’s been effective alright, in all the wrong metrics — in all the areas we didn’t want it to be effective. Delay in medical care. We talked about that. Orthopedics, nonessential. Suicide calls up 600 percent. Suicide calls. We heard other doctors mention this. So was the lockdown effective? If that’s the effect you were going for, then yes but it was trying to flatten the curve but it had these secondary consequences that I think are devastating. People staying indoors. No exercising as you mentioned. No Vitamin D.

“I’m watching people in their Prius by themselves driving with a mask on. There’s no sense to it,” he added. “It’s fear.”

VIDEO AT THIS LINK

Posts: 2271 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
LOGIC!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

How dare this Doctor try to inject truth and logic into this pandemic! I'm sure they will now trot out all their "experts" to denounce him.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
That kind of talk got Dr. Scott Jensen of Minnesota under investigation by the state medical board for spreading disinformation about the corona.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8620 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
That kind of talk got Dr. Scott Jensen of Minnesota under investigation by the state medical board for spreading disinformation about the corona.

Add these physicians to the list:

Frontline Physicians Aim to Dispel ‘Massive’ COVID-19 ‘Disinformation Campaign

American doctors are holding a “White Coat Summit” on Capitol Hill Monday to address what they call “a massive disinformation campaign” surrounding the Chinese coronavirus to which “American life has fallen casualty.”

“If Americans continue to let so-called experts and media personalities make their decisions, the great American experiment of a Constitutional Republic with Representative Democracy, will cease,” READS the event’s information page.

The purpose of the two day summit, organized by the Tea Party Patriots, is to allow “frontline doctors [the ability to] talk directly to the American people.” Topics to be discussed include the reopening of America’s schools, “medical cancel culture,” and the public policy.

More details and video at THIS LINK

Posts: 2271 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Is the surge over? Employing technical analysis tools that stockbrokers use to analyze the market, it may just be.

If you look at the last 3 peaks of the new cases plot, a classic formation known as a "triple top" emerges. Their common baseline is right around 60,000 cases. A reversal is generally called if the plot falls below 5% of that baseline, which would be about 57,000.

Yesterday's closing bell was some 54,000 cases, well below the call line. In fact that represents a 10% downside breakout. So from a numbers point of view, the current spike may well be over. It will be interesting to see where the numbers go for the next week or so.

Cases by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16935 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
If you ran a business with a significant volume of foot traffic would you post notice to require mask? No? Well, what if your liability insurance carrier and or legal adviser recommended it for liability purposes to protect from being sued.
I can see it now... I got the Covid at Joes BBQ, it the only place I have been... It will happen! And that may be the reason some of these places are requiring mask. Maybe?

I went to a Dollar Store yesterday. No sign on the door. No one in the place with mask on including the two workers I saw. But then at the check out, yea, on the way out less then 20 feet from the exit was a sign requiring mask! Too funny.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4177 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Is the surge over?
No, because there is and never was any "surge". It's all a bunch of lies.

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent video of various doctors in California,with experience with Covid, talking about treatment options,and the insanity of not opening schools.

America’s Frontline Doctors Summit

https://www.teapartypatriots.o...line-doctors-summit/

Posts: 13098 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Excellent video of various doctors in California,with experience with Covid, talking about treatment options,and the insanity of not opening schools.

https://www.teapartypatriots.o...line-doctors-summit/

One of the physicians in that 3-hour video is Dr. Simone Gold. Here she is in a 10-minute video in which she appears to be entirely credible IMHO:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...f0&feature=emb_title

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Is the surge over?

I'm sure you're right. I still think it's interesting that even made-up numbers must follow the rules of mathematics and statistics. Thus my academic interest in such an exercise.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16935 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm sure you're right. I still think it's interesting that even made-up numbers must follow the rules of mathematics and statistics. Thus my academic interest in such an exercise.

The "surge" is a function of a few things. Increased testing; people from south of the boarder seeking care; people celebrating Memorial day/4th; normal summer travel; people getting fed up with their lives being shut down; people returning to work; mass gatherings in the streets; and the fact the illness is not a dangerous as first thought.

There's nothing unexpected. The fact that hospitals aren't being overwhelmed shows it's likely a very small uptick due to the above, but many cases were previously going undetected, so in reality there may be a 10-20% increase, but not a surge in cases. Again nothing that shouldn't be expected, there is no greater danger than there was last month or the one before.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21119 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Yes, I was hoping someone would comment on the fundamentals driving the surge.

The great thing about technical analysis is that the numbers don't care why something is happening. That's for a fundamental analyst to investigate. Tech only identifies known patterns associated with behaviors, but doesn't say why it's happening.

It's usually best to have both tools at one's disposal, although most people lean more heavily toward one side or another.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Parousing the internets I don't see anyone else calling an early termination of the surge. So if the numbers hold, maybe you heard it here first. We'll see how the rest of the week goes.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

Wake me when we hit 60,800,000 cases...